How would you query a "genreless" novel?

derektjames

Registered
Reaction score
I'm currently toying around with a new idea for a novel, and have written about fifty or so pages. However, it's a bit of a departure from most of my genre stuff that I've written before (sci-fi/fantasy).

My question is how would one go about query a novel that takes place in contemporary America, with no discernible genre? For reference, my story is about the meteoric career trajectory of a sports publicist who is thrown into the lavish world of professional athletics. I suppose it is most comparable to Moneyball, but completely fictional.

What sort of agents would I query on this? How would I introduce my novel? Would I just call it "a general-fiction" novel? It's definitely dramatic, but also has lots of dark humor. Yet I've never really heard of novels being reffered to as "dramas"...

KTC

Stand in the Place Where You Live
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Website
ktcraig.com
Write it.

Then worry about things like this.

Ken

Banned
Kind Benefactor
Reaction score
... it's not a must that you define novels and follow the cookie-cut query model. When you pitch yours tell agents what the story is about and let them decide. Since you're not sure that may be the best way to go. If an agent specializes in this or that and sees that your story contains this or that then that'll be enough, so long as your story measures up. G'luck.

veinglory

volitare nequeo
Self-Ban
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.veinglory.com
mainstream
contemporary

If it genuinely defies categorization, it will be hard to publish and impossible to shelve. That's why these catch all categories exist.

KTC

Stand in the Place Where You Live
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Website
ktcraig.com
Dear (Agent):

I wish to submit my unpublishable novel for your consideration. Enclosed is a pre-made rejection slip and an SASE.

Thank you.

caw

Oops...your cawer's a bit stabby. ;-)

Old Hack

Such a nasty woman
Super Moderator
Absolute Sage
Registered
Reaction score
I agree with Jennifer.

But if you've not even written the novel yet, you've got a long way to go before you need to ask this question.

GiantRampagingPencil

That new author smell . . .
Registered
Reaction score
Sometimes the story writes itself in ways we can't predict. It may end up sneaking up on a genre with little unintended feet.