Third Party Payer Transfer

AyJay

Luv's Conscript
Registered
Reaction score
Website
andrewjpeterswrites.com
I searched the threads looking for information on this, really I did! But I didn't come up with anything.

I'm negotiating a contract with a small press that pays out royalties via PayPal. Since there's a fee to me in setting up such an account, I wondered if there are other third party payer options that I might be able to negotiate? I did some research on-line, and it actually looks like PayPal has the smallest service fee of the companies out there. But perhaps experienced folks have other suggestions?

Thanks! And by the way, this will be my very first long fiction (novella) publication!!

Andy

Old Hack

Such a nasty woman
Super Moderator
Absolute Sage
Registered
Reaction score
I don't think there's a charge involved in setting up a Paypal account.

WeaselFire

Benefactor Member
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
I have a publisher that pays by PayPal. I lose on the transaction, about 8% if I remember. But they're international and I have no other reasonable method of getting paid. I understand up front that my advance/royalty is less than the contract says and accept it.

I also don't do a lot of work with that publisher, with payments my biggest issue for not working with them.

There are always alternatives. Whether your publisher will use them is the question. Mine would do international money orders, but international fees and transfers also took some amount of the proceeds and this added about 90 days to payments.

Jeff

ajkjd01

I just have to be faster.
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.addiejking.wordpress.com
Um, I've not noticed that I lose out on anything through PayPal. On the other hand, I also signed up for PayPal Here, to take credit cards with my iPhone at cons...and there is a small fee for that, per transaction, but it's way lower than 8%. Of course, my publisher is not only in the same country I'm in, but also in the same state...

I'm wondering if the 8% is a conversion type of charge rather than a transaction charge.

WeaselFire

Benefactor Member
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
I'm wondering if the 8% is a conversion type of charge rather than a transaction charge.
The payment was in US dollars, but I don't remember the exact Paypal fee or reason. I do know some was due to it being international, but not how much.

I once got an advance in Pounds Sterling. I made out on the conversion. But those things change. Every international source I now deal with pays in US dollars, so no currency exchange.

Jeff