Question

Kitty27

So Goth That I Was Born Black
Registered
Reaction score
I've come across an agent who wants to know if the MS has interest.

Does the agent mean if it's under consideration with another agency or if an agent has offered representation?

Any answers would be appreciated.

Giant Baby

Oh, the humanity.
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Under consideration. My response to this is typically something along the lines of, "The book is currently with a few other agents who've requested the manuscript. I will certainly let you know if anyone makes an offer, but if you'd like me to update you with any other information, just let me know." (Although, I tweak it to suit the language of their request.)

Most have just left it at that, but I've had some who've preferred to be notified if other agents requested after they did, or if a partial became a full.

Kitty27

Registered
Reaction score
Under consideration. My response to this is typically something along the lines of, "The book is currently with a few other agents who've requested the manuscript. I will certainly let you know if anyone makes an offer, but if you'd like me to update you with any other information, just let me know." (Although, I tweak it to suit the language of their request.)

Most have just left it at that, but I've had some who've preferred to be notified if other agents requested after they did, or if a partial became a full.

Thank you for responding. I'll include that in the query. I was worried she meant an offer and didn't want to sound egotistical!

Giant Baby

Oh, the humanity.
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Thank you for responding. I'll include that in the query.

This was in the submission guidelines? I'll admit I haven't seen that before. (Sorry, I assumed it was in a request for pages.) No big deal, though, I've seen plenty of exacting submission guidelines.

Personally, in this case where there's no prior introduction to your work, I'd just get in, give her/him what's asked for, and get out. "This book has attracted interest from a few agents who have requested the manuscript. Thank you for your time and consideration."

(Or whatever's appropriate to your situation, of course.)

Kitty27

Registered
Reaction score
This was in the submission guidelines? I'll admit I haven't seen that before. (Sorry, I assumed it was in a request for pages.) No big deal, though, I've seen plenty of exacting submission guidelines.

Personally, in this case where there's no prior introduction to your work, I'd just get in, give her/him what's asked for, and get out. "This book has attracted interest from a few agents who have requested the manuscript. Thank you for your time and consideration."

(Or whatever's appropriate to your situation, of course.)

Yes,it was. She specifically wants to know if the MS has interest. I have never seen that before so I wanted to be sure.