If I ghostwrite some chapters in a book, is that worth mentioning?

Status
Not open for further replies.

WCP

bow wow wow yippie yo yippie yay
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.amazon.com
If there is no confidentiality clause, and it is just between me and the author, is it worth mentioning to an agent in proposals?

Or what if I just help do research/edit/write part of it?

thothguard51

A Gentleman of a refined age...
Registered
Reaction score
I ghost wrote chapters for Ms Andre Norton in several of her books and if she was still alive today, she would tell you so. Take my word on it...

Seriously...

1...If you can not prove it, then its a he said she said thing.

2...If it was not a paid gig, then why mention it?

3...If the book was not a good seller through a commercial publisher then what is the point of mentioning it?

4...Only list accomplishments that can be verified and agents do search on line...

WCP

Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.amazon.com
Thanks for the info - Yeah I would be paid and it is a major book, but I wouldnt be able to prove it...so maybe you are right - I dont want to waste my time if my name is not on the cover

Last edited:

Stijn Hommes

Know what you write...
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.peccarymagazine.5u.com
4...Only list accomplishments that can be verified and agents do search on line...
Seriously? If an agent only does online research and wouldn't bother calling the publisher or the main author of the work, I wouldn't be sure I'd like to work with them. If you can't prove the credit yourself, give them the contact details of the publisher (after asking them for their permission. If it is a paid job and it gets published, it's a viable credit.

thothguard51

A Gentleman of a refined age...
Registered
Reaction score
Hommes,

Please note, I stated; list only accomplishment that can be verified.

On line is only one of the tools at an agents uses and many times, the easiest to start a search to see if the book listed even fits with what the agent accepts.

Depending on the agreement between the listed author of the book and the ghost writer, the author may not want to reveal that sections were written by others. So if the noted author is not agreeable to verifying a credit, then why even bother listing the book?

WCP

Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.amazon.com
Did you actually sign a formal, written agreement?

No, I didnt sign anything. It was for my friend. So it wouldnt be worth doing because I can't prove I did it, and if I'm not paid up front, then I might have to worry about getting the money.

Status
Not open for further replies.