Query Agents in other countries

ianh

Writer of Paranormal fiction
Registered
Reaction score
Website
ianhall.freehostingcloud.com
Just wondering if it is the normal to query agents from different countries to represent you, or just stay in your own country to get an agent to take a chance on your manuscript.

waylander

Who's going for a beer?
Registered
Reaction score
It is completely dependent on the manuscript you are marketing. If it works in markets worldwide then why not query agents in other markets.

KingM

Registered
Reaction score
Website
youtu.be
Just wondering if it is the normal to query agents from different countries to represent you, or just stay in your own country to get an agent to take a chance on your manuscript.

Perfectly fine for a UK writer to query agents in the US. I imagine there's somewhat smaller, but legitimate traffic back the other direction. I'm not sure why you'd query any other countries.

chancerychislett

better at querying than writing...
Registered
Reaction score
I have queried UK agents before because there is actually a larger market for what I write (guess they're lagging behind)

Steflesslie

writing, writing, always writing
Registered
Reaction score
I'm situated in Australia, which has a very small market, so I see no problem in seeking agents in somewhere say, New York and other publishing crazed cities.

Becca C.

Registered
Reaction score
Yeah, same as above. I'm Canadian but I query American agents because that's the market my novel would do well in.

KingM

Registered
Reaction score
Website
youtu.be
Yeah, same as above. I'm Canadian but I query American agents because that's the market my novel would do well in.

Since the American and the Canadian markets are pretty much the same thing, you absolutely should. There are Canadian agents who submit to New York, too, so don't neglect those opportunities.

Kathleen42

crushing on fictional characters
Registered
Reaction score

I'm Canadian and I have a US agent.

turningpoint

Registered
Reaction score
Is there a particular way to query an agent in England for example? Will information on English agents be on Query Tracker, too? In other words, does anyone know a site that reviews British literary agents. Thanks.

harriet47

journo turned novelist
Registered
Reaction score
Website
harrietschultz.blogspot.com
You can find agents in England (or other countries) by simply searching for "literary agents England" on Google. Several come up and you can go to their websites to gather more info about them.

dgaughran

Banned
Reaction score
Website
davidgaughran.wordpress.com
UK agents - some differences

Most UK agents accept worldwide submissions. However, as many agents now switch over to accepting e-mail submissions (they are quite a bit behind the US: many agencies - and almost all of the old, established names - insist on postal submissions), I have noticed a trend where some agents are starting to specifically rule out US clients (only). Presumably this is to ward off a deluge of submissions, and their thinking may be that these writers have probably done the rounds in the US and haven't snagged an agent, so they are playing the numbers and assuming they won't miss that much great stuff, certainly not enough to put the hours into reading all the extra new submissions from US writers. It's only a small number of agents that have this policy at the moment, but this may grow in the future as more and more UK agents accept e-submissions and their workloads grow accordingly.

I am from Ireland (where there are maybe three literary agents, and one doesn't do fiction), so I started off submitting to the UK. An agent advised me that I may have better luck in the US as my "style is more American" (whatever that means), and because my story is set in South America. He was right. While I had a handful of partial/full requests from UK agents, I had a lot more success from US agents.

The submission process in the UK is often quite different (there is not as much emphasis on the query letter, but a huge importance is placed on the synopsis). Some points worth noting:

* Some agents do not accept simultaneous submissions, even at query stage. I think Maeve Binchy's agent is one of these. So if she is your dream agent, keep this in mind.
* A LOT of the big agencies only accept snail mail submission.
* My personal experience is that they are slower to respond.
* Many will only accept submissions from UK (and Irish) based writers.

Re. the query letter/cover letter: It varies from agency to agency whether they want a "cover letter" or a more American-style query letter. Generally this information is on their website (if they have one) or in the Writers & Artists Yearbook http://www.writersandartists.co.uk/ (a must-purchase if you are submitting to the UK). If they don't mention it, a good rule of thumb is: electronic submission - query letter; snail mail submission - cover letter.

If it's a cover letter, it's less about the book, and more about you, the genesis of your idea and your background (kind of like an extended bio-section). If it's a query letter, it's the American-style query letter you are familiar with.

With a cover letter submission, a lot of weight is put on the synopsis (more so than American agents put on it). I have heard many UK agents comment that the cover letter is barely read, and the synopsis decides for them whether they go any further (read the submitted pages/request pages).

Also, with a cover letter submission, standard is a synopsis plus the first three chapters/first fifty pages, although this too varies from agency to agency.

If you have any questions, I am happy to help.

Dave

waylander

Who's going for a beer?
Registered
Reaction score
Querytracker covers some UK agents but by no means all. There is no single site that lists all of them though this one is pretty good http://www.writersservices.com/agent/uk09/index.htm
Many agency entries and websites are infuriatingly non-specific about the material/genres they handle.
Most UK agencies will reply to overseas subs by e-mail so no need to fuss about getting UK stamps for your SAE