Shows you're peed off you missed and shows you're glad you caught

ReallyRong

Registered
Reaction score
I'm not usually a contributer to this forum, but looking at the dearth of tv entertainment tonight in the UK (Lost excepted, though that's inevitably going downhill as they head towards the climax and have to start explaining it) I was thinking of some of the US shows that I wished I'd watched and those that I'm glad that I do watch.

On the wishlist list are:

1. The Sopranos. I know, accolades and awards and someone should send me to the shrink, because I used to watch it back in the days when it was on at a decent time but lost it some time ago when the schedules got messed around.
2. Wired. This gets fantastic reviews in the UK and I'm sure it plays over here, but there's no promo whatsoever and I haven't been able to find it, let alone follow it.

And on the gladlist:

1. The BigBang Theory. Exquisite comedy and they somehow manage to keep upping the ante with every episode. Really clever material and a masterclass.
2. The Flight of The Conchords. This is an HBO production and another comedy that we get to see free to view (but probably two years later). For those that don't know it's about two New Zealanders living in New York and, oh whatever, it's complicated but funny and wiki it if you're interested.

Does anyone else have similar feelings about shows they've missed and others they're happy to have caught?

firedrake

practical experience, FTW
Registered
Reaction score
I really wish I'd seen the first series of 'Being Human', series 2 starts in the US in July. I just hope BBC America shows the first series again. I'd also love to see 'Desperate Romantics' but I can't imagine any American network picking that up. :(

I'm glad I accidentally caught an episode of Doctor Who a couple of years ago (also on BBC America), I'd been so put off it after the disaster that was Sylvester McCoy that I couldn't bring myself to watch it again.

ReallyRong

Registered
Reaction score
D'Oh. I got my wireds crossed. Wishlist #2 should have been The Wire, not Wired.

Kaiser-Kun

!
Registered
Reaction score
I wish they'd bring back Whose Line is it Anyway. It's the only show that has really managed to make me laugh out loud.

Lisa Cox

Registered
Reaction score
Website
twitter.com
Kind of wish I'd carried on watching Lost. I think I watched the first few episodes of the first season and then moved out of the country, lost track of it. But it's so iconic now -- I feel like I've missed out.

Wish I had known about QAF US when it was showing, so I could've got involved in the buzz. Although I suppose getting to watch the whole thing without any waiting on DVD is nothing to complain about. Same with Buffy, which I've since mostly watched, but it would've been fun to watch while everyone else was.

I'm obsessed with Supernatural. So, so thrilled I caught it in the first season. The last few years of being involved with the fandom have been awesome.

I've heard so many good things about How I Met Your Mother, but haven't watched it. It's too far in now -- the catch-up would be ridiculous. But, still. Shame.

Can't think of any more right now. I might be back.

childeroland

What happened to my LIFE?!
Registered
Reaction score
I wish I'd gotten into Doctor Who long before the Ninth Doctor--still have much catching up to do.

Kind of teed off I've missed Lark Rise to Candleford.

Enzo

Registered
Reaction score
Happy I saw:
24, LOST, Prison Break (still to see the final seasons of those shows);

Also quite good if not historic:
Damages, Life, Entourage;

Still hoping to see:
Fringe, FlashForward.

regdog

The Scavengers
Staff member
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Annoyed that I started watching Lost but glad I quit at the start of the second season

Glad I found Merlin

childeroland

What happened to my LIFE?!
Registered
Reaction score
I'm very far behind my noitaminA block viewing. Just catching up with Nodame Cantabile now, a beautiful show, and just finished Honey and Clover. I still have Paradise Kiss, Library Wars, Tokyo Magnitude, etc to go.

Baryonyx

Registered
Reaction score
Kinda annoyed that I missed Dark Angel and Dollhouse when they aired since they both sound like something I'd like.

Shows I'm glad I caught...wow there's alot. Battlestar Galactica I guess is the main one. Not my favourite ever show but I only caught it by accident, the very first episode was on and I decided to watch since I was bored at the time. Glad I did because it was awesome :)

ReallyRong

Registered
Reaction score
Kind of teed off I've missed Lark Rise to Candleford.
I was oringinally thinking that the US is the only country that makes quality TV these days, but you've reminded me there are exceptions. I don't think the book Cider With Rosie by Laurie Lee ever made much of an impression in the US, but in the UK it's regarded as a seminal work and is mostly about living in a rural area and the mechanisation of the 1920s, which changed a way of life that had been fairly constant for centuries. Lark Rise to Candleford (a BBC production) is in a similar vein, but deals with the introduction of the Post Office and Telegraph service during the Victorian era, and the sensibilities of village and small town life in those days. The latest series recently finished and 8pm on Sunday is still an empty place for me and my missus...

Last edited:

dgiharris

Disgruntled Scientist
Registered
Reaction score
I just stumbled across the Dresden Files on Hulu TV and finished watching the first and only season.

What a shame it was cancelled. Such a good show. Great writing, incredible characters, fantastic plotlines, lots of potential.

How in the hell did this show get cancelled???

Mel...

alleycat

Still around
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
I'm not usually a contributer to this forum, but looking at the dearth of tv entertainment tonight in the UK . . .
It's not any better in the US, which is currently dominated by reality shows, oddball game shows, and (tonight at least) pro wrestling on a major network. Pro wrestling in prime time on a broadcast network--a new low.

As much as I'd like to throw a shoe at the management of PBS, I'm sure glad we have that at least.

Now, back to the original question . . .

Bartholomew

Comic guy
Kind Benefactor
Poetry Book Collaborator
Registered
Reaction score
What a shame it was cancelled. Such a good show. Great writing, incredible characters, fantastic plotlines, lots of potential.

Those are the primary ingredients for the cancellation of a show.

GeorgeK

ever seeking
Registered
Reaction score
I just stumbled across the Dresden Files on Hulu TV and finished watching the first and only season.

Mel...

I blame W. He wanted us out shopping.

mirandashell

Banned
Reaction score
To go back to the OP...

You missed the Sopranos AND The Wire? You poor thing, the two best dramas EVER and you missed them both............

Come here and have a great big hug!