You know you're a geek when...

ad_lucem

Peligro:Herbicidal Poriomaniac
Registered
Reaction score
It just dawned on me the extent of my geekdom. I had no idea it was Superbowl Sunday until it was mentioned by a male, tight-wearing, acrobat at the Ren Fest yesterday.

Yes, I know it's that general time of year and that one of these Sundays would be the day, but I had no clue. The kids asked us about the rules of football recently, as well. Both my husband and I know about soccer and hockey. But... football?

So, to that end, I thought it might be fun to start a thread "You know you're a geek when..."

Mine obviously is... "You know you're a geek when you don't know it's Superbowl Sunday until the guy in the jester suit at the Renaissance Festival tells you about it."

What's yours, my fellow geeks?

(Please don't let the crickets chirp on this one. I know there have to be some geeks here somewhere. Come out come out wherever you are... :D )

ad_lucem

Registered
Reaction score
Oh, and I had to add this one...

You know you're a geek when you see an ad on TV for a toy that floats tinsel around, recognize it as a Van der Graaf generator and tell the kids "...buy you one? nah, we'll make a better one at home!! It's Radioshack time!"

maxmordon

Penúltimo
Registered
Reaction score
Website
twitter.com
You know that you're a geek when you start quoting Monty Python in middle of the street with your best friend and she starts to complement and respond your quotes.

Mr Flibble

They've been very bad, Mr Flibble
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
We couldn't possibly do that. Who'd clear up the m
Website
francisknightbooks.co.uk
When you name your daughter after a Star Trek character.

You know that you're a geek when you start quoting Monty Python in middle of the street with your best friend and she starts to complement and respond your quotes.
When you and your mates can have whole conversations using nothing but Monty Python, Red Dwarf and Blackadder quotes

[FONT=verdana,arial,helvetica] [/FONT]
Well, if you've got some amazing secret plan up your sleeve, Kryten, now's the time to mention it.
No plan, sir. No sleeves.

I have a cunning plan My Lord.

How did you get so much custard out of such a small cat?
I don't want to talk to you no more, you empty headed animal food trough wiper.

CheekyWench

O.o
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.elysabethwilliams.com

You know you're a geek when you name your World of Warcraft guild after a Monty Python skit.
:gone:

ad_lucem

Registered
Reaction score
:e2point:

Seriously....

:LilLove::heart::thankyou:

I know it's not Valentines Day yet...but... I love you guys....

:e2heartbe

Fran

Slate grey mole person
Registered
Reaction score
You know you're a geek when you can find every single treasure chest in The Legend of Zelda: Windwaker and phone your best friend to tell him because you know he can't.

Deleted member 42

Guys, no, really, you're describing nerds.

Not geeks.

Geek means you get paid for being a geek because of your specialized skills and knowledge.

You're a geek when you can differentiate the fine differences between Python and Ruby.

You're a geek when you know that Larry Wall's favorite recipe for prune muffins is in the Perl man files.

Xelebes

Delerium ex Ennui
Registered
Reaction score
You know when you're a geek when you start combing Google Maps for place names to add to the dictionary you're making for, for a geographic variant on Scrabble.

Last edited:

writerboyontour

Registered
Reaction score
You know you're a geek when you explain to you're Korean EFL students the battle between the serial comma people and the non-serial comma people, then explode on the virtues and flexibility of the serial comma and call the non-serial comma people obtuse and indolent, and finally smile when they care and get into it, but really because they now defend the serial comma too.

ad_lucem

Registered
Reaction score

Not geeks.

Geek means you get paid for being a geek because of your specialized skills and knowledge.

You're a geek when you can differentiate the fine differences between Python and Ruby.

You're a geek when you know that Larry Wall's favorite recipe for prune muffins is in the Perl man files.

So only programmers can be geeks? I thought geeks came in an assortment of flavors from the tech to sci to history to the art geek. I never understood the fine delineation of geek v. nerd. They're pretty much synonymic and probably tormented equally on high school campuses around the country.

Besides, if Dice is any indication of what's going on these days, getting paid to be a "geek" as defined by knowledge of Ruby, Perl, VB, etc.... seems like it's getting harder to come by. Just sayin'....

I may never get paid to be a geek, but I know I are one ;)

maxmordon

Penúltimo
Registered
Reaction score
Website
twitter.com
You're a geek when you try to invent a fictional language.

You're a geek when you have seen The Rocky Horror Picture Show on midnight madness at least twice.

Xelebes

Delerium ex Ennui
Registered
Reaction score

Not geeks.

There is a Venn diagram out there that shows the relative differences between a geek, nerd, dork and dweeb in the most recent understanding of the four. IT is more commonly accepted that a nerd is very similar to a geek save for the fact that the nerd is socially awkward. A dork has the obsession of a geek and the social awkwardness of a nerd but not the intelligence of a geek or a nerd. A dweeb has the intelligence of a geek and the social awkwardness of a nerd but not the obsession of a geek or a nerd.

Pretty much illustrates how someone of the younger generations see them as.

Xelebes

Delerium ex Ennui
Registered
Reaction score
You're a geek when you try to invent a fictional language.

I did that in grade 1. My teachers always complained of me handing in all my assignments in this made up language. I still don't see why they objected so much to it.

maxmordon

Penúltimo
Registered
Reaction score
Website
twitter.com
I did that in grade 1. My teachers always complained of me handing in all my assignments in this made up language. I still don't see why they objected so much to it.

I tried as well, but I shelved it since it ended up something far bigger than I could handle. I think you can see a couple of examples here on AW around...

robeiae

Touch and go
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Website
thepondsofhappenstance.com
So only programmers can be geeks? I thought geeks came in an assortment of flavors from the tech to sci to history to the art geek. I never understood the fine delineation of geek v. nerd. They're pretty much synonymic and probably tormented equally on high school campuses around the country.

Besides, if Dice is any indication of what's going on these days, getting paid to be a "geek" as defined by knowledge of Ruby, Perl, VB, etc.... seems like it's getting harder to come by. Just sayin'....

I may never get paid to be a geek, but I know I are one ;)
Don't let Lisa get you down. She's an elitist geek, a rare bird indeed.

Anyway, you know you're a geek when you can't fathom why ANYONE wouldn't list Rush as one of their all-time favorite bands.

Xelebes

Delerium ex Ennui
Registered
Reaction score
I tried as well, but I shelved it since it ended up something far bigger than I could handle. I think you can see a couple of examples here on AW around...

Really, it's not that hard. You just come up with the rules of grammar and the words fall into place.

MY favourite is to make the sentence structure all lopsided and bizarre.

Eg:

[Subject-Predicate] [Article] [Preposition]

Manran the over there.
Personwalkstore self the into.

maxmordon

Penúltimo
Registered
Reaction score
Website
twitter.com
You know that you're a geek when you don't only own the RHPS soundtrack, but you own in several languages. Including the Mexican one where Dr. Frank looks like Hugo Weaving playing Ziggy Stardust and Brad looks like Buddy Holly cosplaying like Pee-Wee Herman.

maxmordon

Penúltimo
Registered
Reaction score
Website
twitter.com
Really, it's not that hard. You just come up with the rules of grammar and the words fall into place.

MY favourite is to make the sentence structure all lopsided and bizarre.

Eg:

[Subject-Predicate] [Article] [Preposition]

Manran the over there.
Personwalkstore self the into.

I have found a fragment I posted a while ago:

Goku àokuchû shorînga. Oku àkokuchû shoegga. Koku ágokuchû shouòka. Atchoku shochúi garo

Translation:

The Youth Wants to be Adult. The Adult can be Old. The Old desires the Youth. Everyone will die.