Kitty Needs Mobile Phone Help Please!

Kitty Pryde

i luv you giant bear statue
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
So my significant other has a mobile phone that has somehow died, 2 days past the warranty expiration (ha! talk about your planned obsolescence). We have a plan from AT&T and we can't get an "upgrade" free phone yet. I know very little about mobile phones, and I've never had one die in less than two years before.

How can I get a replacement phone cheap? Can you really buy an AT&T Pay-as-you-go phone and switch the SIM cards? The internets are unclear on this matter and I'm reading a lot of conflicting information. I'm not looking for a fancy phone with keyboard or anything, just a basic phone. AT&T doesn't have anything cheaper than $130 :p But their Go-phones cost as low as $20.

Anyways! New phone for my plan! Hoping to spend less than $50! Help me, geniuses of AW!

lucidzfl

Back from the dead
Registered
Reaction score
So my significant other has a mobile phone that has somehow died, 2 days past the warranty expiration (ha! talk about your planned obsolescence). We have a plan from AT&T and we can't get an "upgrade" free phone yet. I know very little about mobile phones, and I've never had one die in less than two years before.

How can I get a replacement phone cheap? Can you really buy an AT&T Pay-as-you-go phone and switch the SIM cards? The internets are unclear on this matter and I'm reading a lot of conflicting information. I'm not looking for a fancy phone with keyboard or anything, just a basic phone. AT&T doesn't have anything cheaper than $130 :p But their Go-phones cost as low as $20.

Anyways! New phone for my plan! Hoping to spend less than $50! Help me, geniuses of AW!

From my experience, the pay as you go phones do not have sim cards. The memory is built into the phone.

I've had problems just like youre experiencing and its a nightmare. Plus replacement phones are hundreds.

Adam

Not dead.
Registered
Reaction score
You can usually switch the sims with no issue, providing they're from the same tariff (AT&T in this case). I've done it a few times in the past when I haven't wanted to lose my phone number.

(Note - I'm referring to the UK, may be different over there, I'm not sure)

suki

Opinionated
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score

Two years ago I mangled my phone and the company wouldn't cut me any break on a new one - so, I bought the same model on ebay and subbed in my sim card - worked great. But I can't remember if it has to be a phone that not only takes your sim card but was originally used with your provider - so research that. But the ebay replacement was cheap and I had no problems with it.

~suki

sheadakota

part of the human equation
Registered
Reaction score
I have a samsung sway by verizon- it only cost me 50$

ETA: I know nothing about phones- just telling you how much I paid for mine :)

Last edited:

Kitty Pryde

Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
I just had a customer service miracle occur! I feel like I should spit on the ground or throw salt over my shoulder or burn incense or something.

The phone was ONE day past its warranty. I've been a customer for 8 years and never done a warranty exchange before. The gods of consumerism were smiling down upon me and they agreed to send me a new refurbished phone, same model and same color! :D

Deleted member 42

A friend just got an AT and T "go" phone at Best Buy. It has a SIM card, but the encoding wrt to the data on the card is tied to the provider.

She could import data from various online sources via a USB cable and a computer, to the new phone.

Have you tried popping out the battery, sticking it in the freezer for fifteen minutes, drying it off, and popping it back in the dead phone?

Also:

Cellphones are not where the real money is; it's the contract for service.

You can TOTALLY negotiate/cut a deal.

Adam

Not dead.
Registered
Reaction score
I just had a customer service miracle occur! I feel like I should spit on the ground or throw salt over my shoulder or burn incense or something.

The phone was ONE day past its warranty. I've been a customer for 8 years and never done a warranty exchange before. The gods of consumerism were smiling down upon me and they agreed to send me a new refurbished phone, same model and same color! :D

Woot!

Today is a good day to buy a lottery ticket. ;)

KTC

Stand in the Place Where You Live
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Website
ktcraig.com
I'm in the same boat, Miss Kitty. Mine is just out of warranty and I don't have enough for an upgrade yet. My son just got an upgrade and used all of our 'brownie points' up. Mine works if I have it plugged in. Then, I unplug it and it's good for half a phone call and then it goes black death on me. I hate it!!!!!!!!!!!!

I'll be reading this thread...and using the same advice you receive. (-;

Kitty Pryde

Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
I'm in the same boat, Miss Kitty. Mine is just out of warranty and I don't have enough for an upgrade yet. My son just got an upgrade and used all of our 'brownie points' up. Mine works if I have it plugged in. Then, I unplug it and it's good for half a phone call and then it goes black death on me. I hate it!!!!!!!!!!!!

I'll be reading this thread...and using the same advice you receive. (-;

KTC, have you tried replacing the battery? It sounds like you just have a toasted battery. A million places online sell those, and there's probably a place in the mall that carries themtoo.

KTC

Stand in the Place Where You Live
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Website
ktcraig.com
I should have thought of that...I just figured the battery is probably the most expensive part of the phone. I thought it had something to do with the battery not holding a charge. It shows as being fully charged, but then it lasts about 21 seconds. I'll try pricing them out this weekend. Thanks.