Trailer: LEGION

Jcomp

Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
I'm preparing a snarky video review for this one. It has potential, and I like the cast, but it feels like much too much. Angels, guns, armageddon, messiahs. It's like The Prophecy bred with The Matrix with a dash of Constantine thrown in, only with no rhyme or reason as to which parts of each of those films can or can't be effectively combined.

dclary

Unabashed Mercenary
Poetry Book Collaborator
Requiescat In Pace
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.trumpstump2016.com
Looked interesting. Bettany seemed far too lethargic though in that trailer.

jennontheisland

the world is at my command
Registered
Reaction score
The old lady in the diner was fucking hilarious.

I sure hope they don't try to take this too seriously because it looks like it could be a fun Sunday matinee sillyness kinda flick. Too serious and Zoombie called it.

maestrowork

Fear the Death Ray
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.amazon.com
There's just something about nasty, potty-mouthed old women that is really funny. Betty White should be proud to blaze that trail.

Jcomp

Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
I will say this about the "fighting angels with bullets" thing: there's something about modern weapons being effective against religious / mythical creatures and figures that we have difficulty accepting even though we usually give it a pass if the weapon is archaic. Guns vs. Angels, we (myself included) tend to think it's silly. But no one questions the wooden stake through a vampire's heart, and I bet fewer people would find it silly if the angels were being felled with swords.

Just an interesting quirk in audience expectations...

Noah Body

Entertainment Ronin
Registered
Reaction score
Hey, it's a movie--and it'll probably make a buttload of cash in foreign presales if it hasn't already. I don't usually subject films like this to a reality critique, I just go to watch demons/angels/zombies/vampires get blown up. I do give negative points if they get blown up into clouds of glitter, though.

Jcomp

Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
For me it's not a critique of reality. That's obviously been abandoned. I'm more critical of the fine (and obviously entirely subjective) line between extremely cool and completely stupid. It appears to me that this film, in its earnest approach, hop-scotches all across that line...

maestrowork

Fear the Death Ray
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.amazon.com
I would agree... obviously I haven't seen the movie but have seen extensive preview and clips (they were also at sdcc). For example, armies of winged angels and demons are cool. Machine guns shooting at deities... stupid.

Noah Body

Entertainment Ronin
Registered
Reaction score
I haven't seen the film either, but who knows...maybe in order to enact God's will, they have to become susceptible to terrestrial forces, or something. Or maybe Bettany blesses the bullets and the beans. :)

Calla Lily

On hiatus
Staff member
Super Moderator
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.aliceloweecey.net
I saw a short preview. *sigh* I am so flippin' tired of endless CGI armies of *anything*. The old lady was great (and props to Betty White's delightful character in Lake Placid). I'll spend my time on the new season of Supernatural instead. 2-3 angels and demons who are distinct characters.

/snark

dgiharris

Disgruntled Scientist
Registered
Reaction score
I'm preparing a snarky video review for this one. It has potential, and I like the cast, but it feels like much too much. Angels, guns, armageddon, messiahs. It's like The Prophecy bred with The Matrix with a dash of Constantine thrown in, only with no rhyme or reason as to which parts of each of those films can or can't be effectively combined.

For me, Constantine was a brilliant film that managed to combine all these elements in a modern setting. A lot of people give it shit because Keanu is in it (the haters) but he is PERFECT in that role. Likewise, the plot and storyline in Constantine is so spot on.

When I first saw the trailer, the thought that jumped out at me was that this would be a Junior Varisity version of Constantine.

I will say this about the "fighting angels with bullets" thing: there's something about modern weapons being effective against religious / mythical creatures and figures that we have difficulty accepting even though we usually give it a pass if the weapon is archaic. Guns vs. Angels, we (myself included) tend to think it's silly. But no one questions the wooden stake through a vampire's heart, and I bet fewer people would find it silly if the angels were being felled with swords.

Just an interesting quirk in audience expectations...

Again, Constantine was able to find a way to make the modern weaponry feel 'right' to the audience, making their own bullets with holy articles and a cross emblem on the bullet casings, holy water, and basically incorporated the arcane with modern weapons. The end result is that it felt 'right' and should work.

But you are right, normally, we don't think modern weapons will have any impact on the angelic/demonic but tend to suspend our disbelief for the older weapons. I'll have to keep this fact in mind in my writings.

For me it's not a critique of reality. That's obviously been abandoned. I'm more critical of the fine (and obviously entirely subjective) line between extremely cool and completely stupid. It appears to me that this film, in its earnest approach, hop-scotches all across that line...

Yeah, from what I've seen, the plotholes look huge and the storyline seems sorta a jumbled mess. Like the focus of the movie will be on just the 'cool' factor.

Mel...

dclary

Unabashed Mercenary
Poetry Book Collaborator
Requiescat In Pace
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.trumpstump2016.com
I'm with Mel here. I loved Constantine. It instantly became one of my favorites, and I think his prayer, and God's response was brilliant screenwriting.

dclary

Unabashed Mercenary
Poetry Book Collaborator
Requiescat In Pace
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.trumpstump2016.com
Also, is it just me, or does the "last stand in the barn surrounded by unholy creatures" reek a little of the one Buffy plotline when Gloria (who was the bitchy demoness who was causing everyone to get brain cancers, etc? I mean her.) was chasing Dawn and like, they had to paint a bus black so Spike could drive them away from town, and they made a final stand against her followers in a setting very much like what we saw in this trailer?

Dommo

On Mac's double secret probation.
Registered
Reaction score
Actually it reminds me of that stephen king movie from the late 80's/early 90's where the demons are trying to hunt down the last scion of christ. I'm trying to recall the name of it, but it's just slipping my mind.