In what grade do children learn about the 3 branches of government?

escritora

Registered
Reaction score
I did a Google search and nothing. Does anyone know?

alleycat

Still around
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
When I was in school (long, long ago), there was a state requirement that American history be taught in the eight grade and there was detailed study on the three branches of government, checks and balances, the Constitution, and all that. It might have been touched on somewhat in an earlier grade, but not in much detail as I recall.

Fern

practical experience, FTW
Registered
Reaction score
Can't remember for sure, but I'm thinking mine were introduced to it by 4th or 5th. I remember because I helped them study when they were on that subject and once they were in Jr High/High School I didn't help them much

Clair Dickson

A dark core to every cloud
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.bofexler.blogspot.com
Try a google search for your state and content expectations (or grade level standards) or something like that for social studies. I know the state of Michigan website has the standards for all subject areas on their website, under education some where. Depending on the state, it's broken down as to what is learned when.

In fact, I went and looked up the Michigan Grade Level Content Expectations online and it looks like 4th or 5th grade would likely include at least a brief overview of the three branches. (See page nine of the PDF in the link.)

escritora

Registered
Reaction score
Thanks, alleycat, Fern, and Dickson.

SouthernFriedJulie

Hidin' the bodies
Registered
Reaction score
Website
blacklabelbooks.blogspot.com
5th grade we went on a trip to our State Capital to get a better grip on the branches. My daughter did the same in 5th grade, so I'm pretty sure that's standard in NC. We went to different schools, same county.

TheIT

Infuriatingly Theoretical
Registered
Reaction score
Eighth grade sounds about right.

Another source for learning about government was Schoolhouse Rock. I think they stopped showing them on TV years ago, but when I was growing up, they used to show Schoolhouse Rock snippets during Saturday morning cartoons. Some of those were amazingly effective teaching aids. When I was in history class in 12th grade, our teacher wanted us to memorize the preamble of the Constitution. The entire class sang it to him from the Schoolhouse Rock song. I don't think he'd seen it before. :D

emandem

Registered
Reaction score
One of my kids (third grade) learned this this year! On the other hand, I clearly remember studying this with my older child for the first time in fourth grade.

TheIT

Infuriatingly Theoretical
Registered
Reaction score
It's been a while since I was in grade school, but is there still a U.S. Constitution test? IIRC, that was in eighth grade.

WriteKnight

Arranger Of Disorder
Registered
Reaction score
30,000 light years from Galactic Central Point.
I think there is some exposure to it around fourth or fifth grade. Certainly the old 'schoolhouse rock' series "I'm just a bill, on Capital Hill..." was aimed at grade schoolers.

But in terms of real depth - probably juior high 'civics'. Eighth or Ninth grade, depending on curriculum.