Terrestrial pulmonate gastropods and other horrors!

Appalachian Writer

Somewhere in the hills....
Registered
Reaction score
Okay, I thought there was a gardening thread, but alas, I couldn't find it. I chose to post in Office Party because slugs (terrestrial pulmonate gastropods) are having a party in my flower beds! Help! I've got a thousand pans of beer lurking under the Hostas, around the Vincas, and by the lilies! Any other suggestions? Help!!! It's a horror show out there!!

Appalachian Writer

Registered
Reaction score
Tried salting them?

I've salted the ones that creep their way onto my deck, but alas...can't salt the earth.:( My granddaughter watches "Miss Spider's Sunny Patch." One of the characters is a slug. She thinks they're cute. Have to hide my murderous intent from her. (oowahahaha) One site suggested removing them from my plants with a hatpin!

Button

Resident in Question
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.calissaleigh.com
slugs (terrestrial pulmonate gastropods)

I must say that I was absolutely thrilled to see this thread, because I saw strange words I didn't know and they looked/sounded in my head so disgusting. So I wanted to figure out what they meant. I'm a sick, strange girl who loves odd words and things I don't know... and gross things are thrilling.

Gastropods. I know I've heard it before, but I never associated with slugs. That's what I shall call them from now on.

Derailment ends.

You're right about no salting the garden. It will ruin the ground. Go out to you local garden center. They've got either a powder or a chemical (I'm not fond of chemicals, but what can you do?) that you can drop on them and not kill the plants.

Appalachian Writer

Registered
Reaction score
I must say that I was absolutely thrilled to see this thread, because I saw strange words I didn't know and they looked/sounded in my head so disgusting. So I wanted to figure out what they meant. I'm a sick, strange girl who loves odd words and things I don't know... and gross things are thrilling.

Gastropods. I know I've heard it before, but I never associated with slugs. That's what I shall call them from now on.

Derailment ends.

Thanks for the kind words about my words...When I started this thread, I wanted something eye-catching. Glad I caught your eye. (That sounds a bit strange, but hey..)

You're right about no salting the garden. It will ruin the ground. Go out to you local garden center. They've got either a powder or a chemical (I'm not fond of chemicals, but what can you do?) that you can drop on them and not kill the plants.[/quote]

We have a farmer's co-op in town. I'll trot on over there tomorrow morning and ask for SLUG KILLER>

Button

Resident in Question
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.calissaleigh.com

Appalachian Writer

Registered
Reaction score
I'm googling, and have found this: http://www.ehow.com/how-does_4672614_snails-slugs-hurt-garden.html

I don't know if the bowl of beer works, but I know a cup of vinegar works for gnats so maybe...

I don't like the salt idea, sounds like this writer didn't realize the salt might hurt the plants.

More ideas here: http://www.gardensalive.com/article.asp?ai=627&bhcd2=1243654893

Went to the gardensalive site! I'm pulling my hair out right now so the slugs can get tangled in it. I don't have ducks, but putting slugs in a jar of pennies just to watch them spark sounds pretty cool right now! Thanks for the heads up on the website!:)

EFCollins

World Class Rambler
Registered
Reaction score
Way out there in BFE, where no one can hear you sc
Website
efcollins.blogspot.com
Hey Appalachian Writer. Here's a suggestion for slugs. I don't know why it works, but it does. Get a few bowls (Old butter bowls will work) and cut holes in the lids big enough for the slugs to get into. Fill the bowls up with beer and set them around your garden. For some reason, slugs like beer. I used to do this when they got into my cabbage patch every year. It seriously works. Hope it helps.