Karen Carpenter

RumpleTumbler

Loves Joni Mitchell
Registered
Reaction score
Is anyone close yet?

I sit and listen to a whole lot of her music every now and again and I'm still just pretty much in awe and haven't heard anyone who comes close.

Have I missed someone spectaculamarphalous or are she and Stevie Ray going to hold their genres for another 20 years?

RobJ

Banned
Reaction score
How about Eva Cassidy?

Cheers,
Rob

Ambrosia

Grand Duchess
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Who's Karen Carpenter?

Who's Eva Cassidy?
They were both vocalists and Karen was a talented drummer as well. Both have passed away, Karen at age 32 and Eva at age 33. Karen before Eva... may their voices ring as true in heaven as they have here on Earth.

Karen Carpenter's Rainy Days and Mondays

Eva Cassidy's Fields of Gold

Carole

How 'bout some ether?
Registered
Reaction score
Something interesting about Karen that I heard one time is that she never thought she could sing, and she became the Carpenters' vocalist sort of by default. She was a drummer. Can you imagine if her voice was never "discovered"? She really did have a rare voice. It was so clear and precise.

benbradley

It's a doggy dog world
Registered
Reaction score

RumpleTumbler

Loves Joni Mitchell
Registered
Reaction score
I didn't think anyone would even reply to this thread. ;)

I'll second Celine as being a hot contender but she isn't as good as Karen.

Celine works at it, with Karen it was effortless and to me that brings the level of talent to another level. It's kind of like John Candy. If he worked at what he did it didn't show and that to me makes him a master of his craft.

It isn't that he or she didn't work at it but the appearance is that it is effortless.

benbradley

It's a doggy dog world
Registered
Reaction score
Karen was indeed excellent, though some of her top-40 songs were, oh, what's the word for it...well, they weren't the 'cool' rock'n'roll stuff on the radio at the time, that's how I'll say it.

I've always been enchanced by Linda Rondstadt singing almost anything, as discussed in previous threads on female vocalists.

Through listening to an odd show named "Weekend Radio" I heard Ann Mortifee singing the song "Baptism." It's exquisite, and you can hear it here, as the second mp3 link:
http://www.annmortifee.com/HJPAGE.html

dobiwon

Planning to retire for the 5th time
Poetry Book Collaborator
Registered
Reaction score
Website
magind7.wixsite.com
I once read that Karen's singing voice was considered "the purest" voice. I'm not sure what that means, but everytime I hear one of her songs, I think of that comment, and I agree.