Dialog or dialogue?

Status
Not open for further replies.

The Lonely One

Why is a raven like a writing desk?
Registered
Reaction score
Spell check says "dialogue" is wrong. It says "dialog" is okay. On the other hand, it says "monologue" is the correct spelling for a single person speaking, so now I'm just confused. Wikipedia says either is correct. What's the common spelling?

Ciera_

Seeing 'dialog' just absolutely bothers me. It seems so wrong. But that's just 'cause I grew up with 'dialogue', I guess. I would never in a million years use 'dialog' in my writing, unless there was some specific reason I absolutely had to...and no such reason is coming to mind.
Neither will get your MS rejected or anything, though, I'm sure.

Bufty

Where have the last ten years gone?
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
A dictionary is always preferable to a Spell checker.

Last edited:

dpaterso

Also in our Discord and IRC chat channels
Staff member
Super Moderator
Registered
Reaction score
Website
derekpaterson.net
Shock horror, my dictionary says dialog is the US spelling and dialogue is the UK spelling! What to do?!

-Derek

Bufty

Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Don't panic! Don't panic! Check the map and see where you live.

Shock horror, my dictionary says dialog is the US spelling and dialogue is the UK spelling! What to do?!

-Derek

Reaction score

-Derek

Even worse - I do believe you're agreeing with my earlier post!

Teh end of teh worldz is nigh!

*awaits chorus of "What, right nigh?"*

Anna Magdalena

Your friendly cynic
Registered
Reaction score
Website
theelephantinthewritingroom.blogspot.com
The first person who finds the correct quote and the author of: two countries separated by a common language will be rewarded by my undying devotion.

If you're a Brit, write British English. If you're an American, write American English etc.

Neither one is better than the other.

Reaction score
George Bernard Shaw, although he didn't give his source material so may have been claiming originality. Wilde also said something similar. Rep points to the usual address.

dpaterso

Also in our Discord and IRC chat channels
Staff member
Super Moderator
Registered
Reaction score
Website
derekpaterson.net
And old Winnie Churchill liked to quote it often, too.

I dunno what "undying devotion" means, but I'm keeping my trousers on, missus.

-Derek

qwerty

exiled Brit
Registered
Reaction score
If you're a Brit, write British English. If you're an American, write American English etc.

Neither one is better than the other.

Unless a writer aspires to a universal audience.

Last edited:

Mel

Never be completely back to normal.
Registered
Reaction score
I'm American and I always write it dialogue. I also write grey instead of gray. My rule is just be consistent.

WriteKnight

Arranger Of Disorder
Registered
Reaction score
30,000 light years from Galactic Central Point.
I have a pet theory that its becoming more of a generational issue, then a locational one. (Okay, I made up locational...)

I think if you are older, you are more likely to use the Brit/European spellings. (I still use colour, honour, theatre...) Younger writers tend to use the American spellings.

And then there is "AdSpell" -Nite, Site, Rite, left over from billboards and texting... for an even younger generation.

Samantha's_Song

At least I don't need backing-up
Registered
Reaction score
If I saw any Brit youngster spelling the American way, I would soon point it out to them. :tongue

I think if you are older, you are more likely to use the Brit/European spellings. (I still use colour, honour, theatre...) Younger writers tend to use the American spellings.

And then there is "AdSpell" -Nite, Site, Rite, left over from billboards and texting... for an even younger generation.

benbradley

It's a doggy dog world
Registered
Reaction score
Don't panic! Don't panic! Check the map and see where you live.
"I personally believe the U.S. Americans are unable to do so because, uh, some...people out there in our nation don’t have maps, and, uh, I believe that our education like such as South Africa and, uh, the Iraq everywhere like, such as and...I believe that they should, our education over here in the U.S. should help the U.S., err, uh, South Africa and should help the Iraq and the Asian countries, so we will be able to build up our future for our..."
I'm American and I always write it dialogue. I also write grey instead of gray. My rule is just be consistent.
Consistent? Looks to me like you're just being consistent with those other folks across the pond!

qwerty

exiled Brit
Registered
Reaction score
And maybe to the left and the right as well.

The Lonely One

Why is a raven like a writing desk?
Registered
Reaction score
I'm fairly sure I live in the United States and I've always thought dialogue was correct. On the other hand, Word Perfect kept telling me i was wrong so I got in the habit of curbing it the other way. Didn't know it was regional, though. Interesting stuff. I'm not using the word in my manuscript (not that I have one) so no problems there, but I do use it here quite a bit so, you know, might as well get to know it better.

Thanks for the responses--even the smart-ass ones.

:)

Anna Magdalena

Your friendly cynic
Registered
Reaction score
Website
theelephantinthewritingroom.blogspot.com
Fascinating as ever, fellow AWers. Thank you. I always thought that all Americans wrote gray and dialog etc. Just proves how wrong national stereotypes can be. What about color/colour?

And don't worry, dpaterso, my devotion is purely platonic. Anyway, it's too cold where I am to remove any clothing.

Bufty

Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Word Perfect - or any other word processing program - isn't the last word on grammar or spelling.

Duncan J Macdonald

Plotting! Not Plodding!
Registered
Reaction score
Fascinating as ever, fellow AWers. Thank you. I always thought that all Americans wrote gray and dialog etc. Just proves how wrong national stereotypes can be. What about color/colour?
Nope, no 'u' in color. I also use both grey and gray, since they are different colors. Grey has a bluer tinge to it.

Status
Not open for further replies.