Educational Writing

Status
Not open for further replies.

MB278aolcom

I'm new to this board. Does anyone know anything about how to freelance in the educational publishing market? I was writing Teacher's Editions and textbooks for 2 solid years when the bottom dropped out of the market. Ideas of where I can find freelance work?

batyler65

I would start by searching for educational publishers. You can google them or look through the Children's Writers and Illustrators Market. Educational Publishers have their own little icon in the book (an apple, I think, but my copy isn't handy). There are a lot of smaller companies that provide ancillary products (workbooks, activity books, reproducibles) and you might try proposing something there.

I write for the elementary school crowd, so I'm afraid most of my advice runs along those lines.

There are educational magazines geared at teachers that may provide freelance ops if you are interested in writing for the elementary school crowd. Some to check out would be Creative Classroom, The Mailbox (does multiple mags), and Instructor. Other possibilities off the top of my head: Weekly Reader, National Geographic, and Time all produce classroom "reads" for kids. They generally include nonfiction articles and related activities.

Wish I could be more help. I recently learned that the company I write for is looking to sell my publication. <sigh> That will make the third owner in four years and no guarantee that my contract will be renewed for next year. It's a tough market out there now.

Best of luck,
Barb

Tish Davidson

educational market

I, too, had the bottom drop out of textbook writing.I had been doing this type of writing for several years, and suddenly it was gone.

A lot of textbooks, at least in my field which is science and medicine, are are put together by textbook packagers. They hook up with several "experts" who are known names. The experts do outlines for the book and are listed as the authors. The actual writing is farmed out to paid writers (who get a little teeny tiny credit inside the front or back cover). The textbook packager also hires the artists and photographers for the work and "packages" it for sale to a publisher who handles all the production aspects and sales.

I did some work for Visual Education Corporation in NJ. They sold the texts to Delmar and McMillan and also did a lot of school series books (This is Argentina, This is Bolivia, This is Chile type things for school libraries). My only suggestion is to look inside the kinds of textbooks that you were writing and see if there is an indication that they were put together by a packager (there usually is some kind of credit or reference), find their address on the Web, and then contact the packager directly with samples of your work.

judewrite

Hi
I'm a teacher and am trying to break into writing. I think the best place for educational writing is publishers- the main ones are Heinemann and then Oxford and Cambridge- at least in the UK I think. There's always Stanley Thornes too.
Good luck.

asianet168

Picture Book Writer Wanted

I am looking for preschool or elementary school teachers who are creative,humorous, loves writing and children to write a new English reading series (picture books) for native speakers (NOT ESL) ages 3 - 8. Previous publication experience is not required. Guidelines/requirements will be provided and I will work
closely with the right writer to finish the project the way
I want it to be.

This will be a flat fee project.

Tish Davidson

Re: Picture Book Writer Wanted

Give us some way to contact you outside the board.

asianet168

Non-fiction Project for children

Dear Mr. Davidson,

Do you write for children? If so, would you be interested in a non-fiction picture writing project for children?
You can reach me at "[email protected]".

Thank you.

Arisa81

Re: Non-fiction Project for children

asianet168:

Are you part of a company? Do you have a website?
Any info about what you do that you could show us?

kaliannah

I have an ebook I'd be glad to share (no cost) that lists 20 or so children's writing markets - it's one I compiled last year while looking for a home (publisher) for my three children's books. Email me at the link below if you'd like a copy. Please mention this forum.

www.skshirah.com/contact.shtml

Stephanie

I tried to contact you via your website, Kaliannah, but the site form is not set up properly.

Can you either make it an active link or provide us with your email address?

Thanks.

(edited for typo)

asianet168

Sorry, this position has been filled.
Thank you for your interest

Status
Not open for further replies.