Horror graphic novels?

Status
Not open for further replies.

jessegrillofilm

Registered
Reaction score
Hey guys. So I am a screenwriter that, for the most part, writes low budget horror movies. I was wondering if anyone could recommend to me some dark or horror graphic novels. I was really into comic books when I was younger but kind of got out of it. It's something I really want to get back into though. Also fell free to recommend any type of graphic novels that are a must read or would make a great movie. The only ones I have read so far are the watchmen and dark knight returns. Thanks so much.

Idahobo

The Eskiminja
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.thegeekbeat.blogspot.com
I don't read many horror comics but there are a crap-ton out there. Most of which relate to zombies, but not all. If you're into zombies though, when wowio.com comes back up, you'll be up to face free zombie comics.

As for general comics recommendation, you've already read two of the best. I'd also recommend: Batman - Year One, Daredevil - Guardian Devil (which the creator of the Daredevil movie wanted to turn into a movie, but Kevin Smith doesn't want to write the story again in script form), the Sandman books, Marvel 1602 and Invincible.

If super heroes aren't so much your thing, I'd also recommend the Lullaby series (not dark, but still cool).

jessegrillofilm

Registered
Reaction score
What lullaby are you talking about? There is an anime one and another dealing with fairy tales. Any other recommendations that are not so main stream? Thanks :)

Axler

Banned
Reaction score
Website
www.markellisink.com
This is a good one, too...iffen I sez so myself.

And I do.

Out in October.

1216758527_GXag5FRMOo.jpg

shawkins

Ahhh. Sweet.
VPX
Registered
Reaction score
What lullaby are you talking about? There is an anime one and another dealing with fairy tales. Any other recommendations that are not so main stream? Thanks :)

It's not explicitly horror, but it's definitely not mainstream: Black Hole by Charles Burns. VD epidemic turns 1970s high schoolers into mutants.

I dug it.

Re: The Miskatonic Project--ah cool. I'll keep an eye out. I loves me some lovecraft.

Idahobo

The Eskiminja
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.thegeekbeat.blogspot.com

The fairy tale one.

As for not so mainstream, are you opposed to Web comics (some people are)? If not I could give you quite a few links after the weekend is over.

ChimeraCreative

Been there, Done that.
Registered
Reaction score
Um... stuff from the 30 Days Of Night series are considered horror. Anything Steve Niles is associated with is a good bet for horror.

Back in the day Brian Michael Bendis wrote a graphic novel entitled Torso, which dealt with a string of real murders in the 1930's. It's a true crime deal.

There's a popular series called The Walking Dead that deals with a zombie reality.

Hellblazer, which follows John Constantine borders on the horrific and the snide.

And Alan Moore's From Hell, which was a Johnny Depp movie. The one about Jack the Ripper, which is also called From Hell. I wouldn't exactly consider the gn scary though.

... I'll have to ponder on your inquiry for a while. Horror doesn't really spring to mind immediately when I think graphic novel. There may be a niche there waiting to be filled, eh? ^_^

-An

jessegrillofilm

Registered
Reaction score
I swear. Back in high school I wanted to make a comic that was about a cowboy that lived in a fantasy world and has to defend earthlings as their world merges into ours. Then I read the dark tower in college and was pissed. :)
One day I would like to make a graphic novel so I am just trying to read some good ones. Considering I write horror screenplays I figured it would be a good genre to read in.

ChimeraCreative

Been there, Done that.
Registered
Reaction score
There is a Dark Tower graphic novel and if you were into the Western stuff there is the Preacher series. It's by Garth Ennis and runs through nine graphic novels. Very heavy with the sex, the violence, the nasty.

A friend of mine also mentioned We3. I believe it has a dog, cat and rabbit that proceed on a streak of bloody terror and mayhem. I haven't read it yet myself though. I'll keep fishing in my resource message board to get you more titles to choose from. ^_^

-An

jessegrillofilm

Registered
Reaction score
Great. i have a friend down at comic con and he is going to grab me a bunch of stuff.

jessegrillofilm

Registered
Reaction score
preacher sounds like a really good series. I just made an ebay bid for a graphic novel series. i hope i win. :)

Chris Huff

Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.sisyphus-books.com
Preacher; Walking Dead; Zombie World; the old EC Tales from the Crypt, Vault of Horror, and Haunt of Fear are now out in bigger boxed sets; check out any GNs by Joe R Lansdale, he's done some freaky ones.

art nerd

nerdy writer
Registered
Reaction score
Website
supahcute.com
Ditto for Preacher - not traditional horror but it's the best series you'll ever read. (Can you tell I love it?)

We3 was fantastic. It's so unique, and I swear I almost cried at the end.

30 Days of Night is great - far superior to the crappy movie that was based on it. "Wormwood: Gentleman Corpse" is by the same artist as 30 Days. It's really weird but the artwork is worth it, imo.

I just picked up "House of Mystery" by Bill Willingham at Comic-Con. It's a montly series and I think they're at issue 4 or so. It was so freaking disturbing that I had trouble falling asleep. I think I may have to start reading this series.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.