Welcome to the AbsoluteWrite Water Cooler! Please read The Newbie Guide To Absolute Write

editing for authors ad

A publisher or agency using Google ads to solicit your novel probably isn't anyone you want to write for.

Go Back   Absolute Write Water Cooler > General Writing Interest > Basic Writing Questions
Register FAQ Calendar Mark Forums Read

Old 02-24-2008, 07:35 PM   #1
pollykahl
practical experience, FTW

pollykahl is well-respected
synopsis always present tense?

I read on a writers blog that the synopsis must always be in present tense, even if the book itself is not. I thought the synopsis should reflect the writer's voice and book tone as much as possible, which would mean the synopsis should probably be written in the same tense that the book is. Has anyone ever heard of this rule?

Recovery Reconnaissance Blog
My Web Page
pollykahl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-24-2008, 07:45 PM   #2
Bufty
Let's see what's on special today..

Bufty is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsBufty is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsBufty is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsBufty is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsBufty is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsBufty is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsBufty is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsBufty is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsBufty is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsBufty is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsBufty is so great that we've run out of appropriate compliments
Present tense, regardless. And yes, reflect the tone and voice.

Last edited by Bufty; 02-24-2008 at 07:57 PM.
Bufty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-24-2008, 08:25 PM   #3
aruna
On a wing and a prayer

aruna is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsaruna is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsaruna is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsaruna is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsaruna is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsaruna is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsaruna is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsaruna is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsaruna is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsaruna is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsaruna is so great that we've run out of appropriate compliments
Present tense. Absolutely.

Facebook

Now Out Yes it's a linky! USA
On Amazon! Yes, that's a linky too! UK

"You must be the change you wish to see in the world"
- Gandhi
aruna is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-24-2008, 08:39 PM   #4
Chumplet
This hat is keeping me warm

Chumplet is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsChumplet is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsChumplet is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsChumplet is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsChumplet is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsChumplet is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsChumplet is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsChumplet is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsChumplet is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsChumplet is so great that we've run out of appropriate compliments
You might not think it works, but it really does. Blurbs are generally in present tense, too.

My Blog
My Website
I'm a Twit, too

Chumplet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-24-2008, 09:51 PM   #5
timewaster
present

timewaster is a shiny, shiny jeweltimewaster is a shiny, shiny jewel
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chumplet View Post
You might not think it works, but it really does. Blurbs are generally in present tense, too.
Don't know that I write synopses in present tense. [checks] How weird. I have never heard of this rule, but apparently, I do automatically write synopses in the present tense. I suspect it is because you normally write reviews that way and yes, blurbs too.
It doesn't make logical sense but it must make intuitive sense or I wouldn't have done them that way.
[bemused]
timewaster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-24-2008, 10:55 PM   #6
Birol
Around and About
SuperModerator

Birol is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsBirol is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsBirol is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsBirol is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsBirol is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsBirol is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsBirol is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsBirol is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsBirol is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsBirol is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsBirol is so great that we've run out of appropriate compliments
Moving to Novels.

Birol is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-24-2008, 10:59 PM   #7
IceCreamEmpress
Hapless Virago

IceCreamEmpress is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsIceCreamEmpress is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsIceCreamEmpress is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsIceCreamEmpress is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsIceCreamEmpress is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsIceCreamEmpress is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsIceCreamEmpress is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsIceCreamEmpress is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsIceCreamEmpress is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsIceCreamEmpress is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsIceCreamEmpress is so great that we've run out of appropriate compliments
Quote:
Originally Posted by pollykahl View Post
I read on a writers blog that the synopsis must always be in present tense, even if the book itself is not. I thought the synopsis should reflect the writer's voice and book tone as much as possible, which would mean the synopsis should probably be written in the same tense that the book is. Has anyone ever heard of this rule?
For fiction, yes.

For non-fiction, no.
IceCreamEmpress is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-24-2008, 11:05 PM   #8
dawinsor
Dorothy A. Winsor

dawinsor is better than ice cream with hot fudgedawinsor is better than ice cream with hot fudgedawinsor is better than ice cream with hot fudgedawinsor is better than ice cream with hot fudgedawinsor is better than ice cream with hot fudgedawinsor is better than ice cream with hot fudgedawinsor is better than ice cream with hot fudge
I knew the present tense is conventional in synopses, but when timewaster (above) said blurbs and reviews are written in present tense too, I suddenly had a flashback to writing papers for literature classes in grad school. They describe the book in the present tense too. The profs called it the "literary present," meaning it was the conventional way to talk about stories, as if they were always going on.
dawinsor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-25-2008, 12:11 AM   #9
Mumut
Well begun is half done...

Mumut should run for PresidentMumut should run for PresidentMumut should run for PresidentMumut should run for PresidentMumut should run for PresidentMumut should run for President
It does make it hard when the book's action is in the past and some of the action you are describing is past perfect! But present tense is definitely required.
Mumut is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-25-2008, 12:42 AM   #10
hammerklavier
It was a dark and stormy night

hammerklavier has a spectacular aurahammerklavier has a spectacular aura
What about the synopsis in query letters?

(I just went to check my query letter and found that it's in present tense. Weird how you just do that naturally.)

Last edited by hammerklavier; 02-25-2008 at 12:44 AM.
hammerklavier is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-25-2008, 02:48 AM   #11
pollykahl

Boy am I glad I asked. IceCreamEmpress, do you have info about this rule not applying to non-fic, which would include memoir? Everyone's responses seem pretty adamant.

My Web Page
Old 02-25-2008, 02:52 AM   #12
mlbrownassociates
figuring it all out

mlbrownassociates is on a distinguished road
Past or Present

Quote:
Boy am I glad I asked. IceCreamEmpress, do you have info about this rule not applying to non-fic, which would include memoir? Everyone's responses seem pretty adamant.
Pollykahl if your writing a memoir that should go past tense with the non-fiction piece it depends. If your starting in the past then keep it past however no matter what don't switch your tense in your synopsis. Not only does it throw off the agent but it hinders the flow of your letter. With fiction no matter what keep it present.

MB

ML Brown & Associates LLC

Misherald "Missy" Brown
mlbrownassociates is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-25-2008, 02:53 AM   #13
mlbrownassociates
figuring it all out

Quote:
Originally Posted by hammerklavier View Post

(I just went to check my query letter and found that it's in present tense. Weird how you just do that naturally.)
Hammerklavier it should be present tense in the query letter. Most people write in present tense so unless they train their selves everything is often wrote that way which is good.

MB

Misherald "Missy" Brown
Old 02-25-2008, 03:03 AM   #14
timewaster
present

timewaster is a shiny, shiny jeweltimewaster is a shiny, shiny jewel
I don't know but I would imagine that in Non fic you would write 'a History of Bull' deals with the development of the theory of bullshit from 200BC to the present day.'
Almost everything else lends itself to the form: 'Don't look down' is the story of a high wire artiste with vertigo... and there you are in the present tense.
I think a memoir follows the same form: 'From nappies to napery' is the memoir of a childhood spent in the top hotels of Europe...
timewaster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-25-2008, 03:08 AM   #15
Bufty

Bufty is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsBufty is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsBufty is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsBufty is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsBufty is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsBufty is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsBufty is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsBufty is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsBufty is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsBufty is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsBufty is so great that we've run out of appropriate compliments
What synopsis in a Query Letter? A synopsis and a Query letter are two different animals.

Quote:

Old 02-25-2008, 03:12 AM   #16
mlbrownassociates
figuring it all out

Bufty I think she means the brief blurb you give in the query letter.

MB

Misherald "Missy" Brown
Old 02-25-2008, 03:14 AM   #17
Bufty

Then he should have said so.

Quote:
Originally Posted by mlbrownassociates View Post
Bufty I think she means the brief blurb you give in the query letter.

MB
Old 02-25-2008, 05:11 AM   #18
IceCreamEmpress
Hapless Virago

IceCreamEmpress is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsIceCreamEmpress is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsIceCreamEmpress is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsIceCreamEmpress is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsIceCreamEmpress is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsIceCreamEmpress is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsIceCreamEmpress is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsIceCreamEmpress is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsIceCreamEmpress is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsIceCreamEmpress is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsIceCreamEmpress is so great that we've run out of appropriate compliments
Quote:
That's because this thread got moved into the "Writing Novels" forum, and everyone here is assuming you mean a novel.

A non-fiction synopsis certainly does not have to be in present tense. I think a memoir synopsis that was entirely in present tense would seem odd.
IceCreamEmpress is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-25-2008, 05:24 AM   #19
jenstrikesagain

jenstrikesagain is on a distinguished road
(checking) Huh. Mine are all in present tense too. Mindbender's in present tense but I dunno if that had anything to do with it. Maybe I've been doing this for so long I finally know the rules. My dad once said, "The weird thing about conventional wisdom is that it's all the things you don't know that you should." Which, for an engineer, is a mouthful.

Jen

No Accounting For Reality: A Comedy of Cosmic Proportions
Just released! Buy it now at Lulu.com

Km swum in 2009: 35 (one English Channel)
I've been known to blog: www.bigbadbuddhist.blogspot.com
jenstrikesagain is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-25-2008, 05:15 PM   #20
hammerklavier
It was a dark and stormy night

hammerklavier has a spectacular aurahammerklavier has a spectacular aura
I assume some brief set up in past tense is ok? Something along the lines of "Steve enjoyed skiing in Vermont, until X happened."

Quote:
Originally Posted by mlbrownassociates View Post
Hammerklavier it should be present tense in the query letter. Most people write in present tense so unless they train their selves everything is often wrote that way which is good.

MB
hammerklavier is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-25-2008, 05:22 PM   #21
Shweta
Sick and absent

Shweta is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsShweta is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsShweta is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsShweta is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsShweta is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsShweta is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsShweta is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsShweta is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsShweta is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsShweta is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsShweta is so great that we've run out of appropriate compliments
Quote:
pollykahl -- it seemed like you were asking about a novel, so this thread got moved to Novels; are you asking about a memoir? Should we be moving this back out of Novels?

I'm sort of confused about what you're actually asking and what would be most useful for you

Apsara and Displaced, Goblin Fruit, summer 2009
Nira and I, Strange Horizons, March 16th 2009
website

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dichroic View Post
The tricksters have unionized.
Be very afraid.
---
2009 Acceptances: 6
Year 3 Submission game score: 1.5
Pieces currently out: 3
Shweta is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-25-2008, 05:45 PM   #22
pollykahl

Yes, this is non-fiction, not fiction. My question was, must a memoir synopsis always be in present tense? I've posed the question to Nathan in the "ask an agent" thread, if anyone's interested in hearing what he has to say. I've gotten various responses so I thought I'd go right to the expert. Thanks everyone for responding with such enthusiasm.

Meanwhile I'd heard that memoirs are presented with outlines, not synopses after all, so hopefully Nathan can clarify that too.

My Web Page

Last edited by pollykahl; 02-25-2008 at 05:47 PM. Reason: clarification
Old 02-25-2008, 05:47 PM   #23
jclarkdawe
Feeling lucky, Query?

jclarkdawe is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsjclarkdawe is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsjclarkdawe is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsjclarkdawe is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsjclarkdawe is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsjclarkdawe is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsjclarkdawe is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsjclarkdawe is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsjclarkdawe is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsjclarkdawe is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsjclarkdawe is so great that we've run out of appropriate compliments
Normally a synopsis should be entirely in present tense.

But there is one place where you might have to go into past tense to keep your reader oriented.

Some synopses consist of character A going along, doing his or her thing. Then the synopsis goes like this: Meanwhile, character B did this and is now doing that. The purpose is to let the reader now we need to move back in time so that we're looking at something that B was doing at the same time A was doing something that we know occurred earlier in the book.

This is going to be real quick, no more than a sentence, and maybe not even the entire sentence. The problem if you don't use the past tense is that the reader has a problem staying oriented in time as to what is happening when.

One of the fun things about queries and synopses is that there are all sorts of rules, and then there are the exceptions.

ETA: And here you hit one of the exceptions to the rules. Memoirs are their own little beasties. Memoir synopses tend to work best in first person, past tense. That way you tend to bring in the most personal involvement with the reader.

Best of luck,

Jim Clark-Dawe

GEORGE'S STORY MORTON'S FORK Let's see how many agents I can catch with the query

THE NEXT STEP ASHES TO ASHES INTO THE VALLEY (48,00079,000 words) Need to up my game.

THE PICTURE Might be my next project.

Last edited by jclarkdawe; 02-25-2008 at 05:53 PM. Reason: posting the same time as the thread's originator
jclarkdawe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-25-2008, 05:53 PM   #24
Birol
Around and About
SuperModerator

Birol is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsBirol is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsBirol is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsBirol is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsBirol is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsBirol is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsBirol is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsBirol is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsBirol is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsBirol is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsBirol is so great that we've run out of appropriate compliments
Undoing my move. Taking it back to Roundtable. (Sorry, Polly.)

Birol is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-25-2008, 08:49 PM   #25
mlbrownassociates
figuring it all out

answer to setup

Quote:
I assume some brief set up in past tense is ok? Something along the lines of "Steve enjoyed skiing in Vermont, until X happened."
Hammerklavier yes that's fine when you use it in that term.

Misherald "Missy" Brown