Read Books By AWers!

Welcome to the AbsoluteWrite Water Cooler! Please read The Newbie Guide To Absolute Write

editing for authors ad

A publisher or agency using Google ads to solicit your novel probably isn't anyone you want to write for.

Go Back   Absolute Write Water Cooler > Discussion > Bewares, Recommendations & Background Check
Register FAQ Calendar Mark Forums Read

Old 02-21-2008, 08:50 PM   #1
xiaotien
bedazzled /bootay shaker!!

xiaotien is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsxiaotien is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsxiaotien is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsxiaotien is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsxiaotien is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsxiaotien is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsxiaotien is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsxiaotien is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsxiaotien is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsxiaotien is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsxiaotien is so great that we've run out of appropriate compliments
Cornerstone Literary Agency

i couldn't find a thread on this agency.
http://www.cornerstoneliterary.com/

headed by Helen Breitwieser?
http://www.publishersmarketplace.com/members/HelenB/

has anyone queried them before?
they seem to have oodles of clients.
just wondering if someone has personal
experience with this agency.
thanks!

Silver Ph0enix (Greenwi11ow: 4/09)

Fury of the Ph0enix (Greenwi11ow: 3/11)

Diverse 3nergies anthology (Tu B00ks: 10/12)

visit my website :
paint & prose

my brush art at etsy!
xiaotien is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-22-2008, 08:56 AM   #2
David I
practical experience, FTW

David I is a glorious beacon of lightDavid I is a glorious beacon of lightDavid I is a glorious beacon of light
Never queried them, but Helen Breitweiser is a rather well-known agent with a decent track record and many years in the business--I've heard her name tossed around for five or six years now.

Cornerstone is also the US representative for at least one killer UK agencies (Darley Anderson). This suggests that other agents think she is a good agent.

From Macmillan New Writing, September 7, 2007. (Pan mass-market paperback in September, 2008). In the UK at Goldsboro Books, Borders, Waterstones, and other fine bookstores. Overseas, Amazon.co.uk and most other online retailers.

Drop through Tomorrowville and say hello...
David I is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-22-2008, 08:47 PM   #3
xiaotien

xiaotien is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsxiaotien is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsxiaotien is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsxiaotien is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsxiaotien is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsxiaotien is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsxiaotien is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsxiaotien is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsxiaotien is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsxiaotien is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsxiaotien is so great that we've run out of appropriate compliments
david, thank you very much
for the info. it helps!

visit my website :
paint & prose

my brush art at etsy!
Old 04-24-2008, 01:30 AM   #4
Maui Author
Halfway between here and there

Maui Author leaves trails of profuse coolnessMaui Author leaves trails of profuse coolnessMaui Author leaves trails of profuse coolnessMaui Author leaves trails of profuse coolnessMaui Author leaves trails of profuse coolness
I got a form rejection from them today saying they aren't taking new clients due to an extremely heavy workload. Just an FYI in case anyone was thinking of querying them.
Brick walls are there for a reason. The brick walls are not there to keep us out. The brick walls are there to show how badly we want something. Because the brick walls are there to stop the people who donít want something badly enough. They are there to keep out the other people.
- Randy Pausch
Maui Author is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-24-2008, 03:57 AM   #5
xiaotien

maui, that's funny you heard from them today.

i got a 43 day request via email for first three chapters
today. i had sent a snail query with SASE.

visit my website :
paint & prose

my brush art at etsy!
Old 04-24-2008, 05:45 AM   #6
Maui Author
Halfway between here and there

Maui Author leaves trails of profuse coolnessMaui Author leaves trails of profuse coolnessMaui Author leaves trails of profuse coolnessMaui Author leaves trails of profuse coolnessMaui Author leaves trails of profuse coolness
Quote:
Originally Posted by xiaotien View Post
maui, that's funny you heard from them today.

i got a 43 day request via email for first three chapters
today. i had sent a snail query with SASE.
LOL - Ahh, the truth comes out... they are taking new clients, just not me, lol. Too funny.
Brick walls are there for a reason. The brick walls are not there to keep us out. The brick walls are there to show how badly we want something. Because the brick walls are there to stop the people who donít want something badly enough. They are there to keep out the other people.
- Randy Pausch
Maui Author is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-29-2008, 11:44 PM   #7
vixey
C'est la vie!

vixey is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsvixey is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsvixey is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsvixey is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsvixey is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsvixey is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsvixey is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsvixey is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsvixey is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsvixey is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsvixey is so great that we've run out of appropriate compliments
New Client Update:

Received the following from Cornerstone Lit in snail mail today:

"We are sorry to say we are not taking new clients at this time due to an extremely heavy workload and a primary obligation to our existing clients."

FWIW

Be who you are and say what you feel because those who matter don't mind, and those who mind don't matter.-Dr. Seuss

"Thank God for fingers and muses. Writing is like singing the blues on a laptop."-cwj
vixey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-18-2008, 02:40 AM   #8
bocabum
Procrastinator/Doddlebutter

bocabum is on a distinguished road
This is probably a dead thread, but I received the same rejection today...not taking any new clients. I guess that's their way of saying, 'no thank you'.

What can ya do, but move on to the next agent!

bocabum is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-14-2009, 11:51 AM   #9
pandora_6666
Lost in the cyber jungle

pandora_6666 is on a distinguished road
on their website under submission guidelines it just says that they are not accepting any unsolicited email inquiries and that all unsolicited manuscripts will be returned unopened - so I'd guess they really aren't taking anyone else at the moment.

Shades of Gray - paranormal thriller - querying agents until I die :p

Alabama (working title) - paranormal humor - back in the swing for the mo :p - 29,124

Untitled - Dark YA that may never be finished - 18,600

But, instead or working I post on my MySpace blog :P
pandora_6666 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-15-2009, 10:48 PM   #10
Leukman
Pernicious...n'stuff.

Leukman is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsLeukman is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsLeukman is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsLeukman is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsLeukman is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsLeukman is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsLeukman is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsLeukman is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsLeukman is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsLeukman is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsLeukman is so great that we've run out of appropriate compliments
Okay, but on Agent Query it says she doesn't take email queries, but that she IS accepting queries?

Very mixed messages here..
Leukman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-15-2009, 11:11 PM   #11
CaoPaux
Mostly Harmless
SuperModerator

CaoPaux is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsCaoPaux is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsCaoPaux is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsCaoPaux is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsCaoPaux is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsCaoPaux is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsCaoPaux is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsCaoPaux is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsCaoPaux is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsCaoPaux is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsCaoPaux is so great that we've run out of appropriate compliments
Quote:
Submission Guidelines

We do not respond to unsolicited email inquiries. All unsolicited manuscripts will be returned unopened.
Translation: Query first, by snail mail.
I've never known any trouble that an hour's reading didn't assuage. -- Charles DeSecondat

2013: II2014:
CaoPaux is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-29-2009, 01:36 AM   #12
JinniBlack
New Fish; Learning About Thick Skin

JinniBlack is on a distinguished road
Cornerstone Reply

I queried Helen Breitwieser in December on a ms. Got a request for the first three chapters (responded that it was under an exclusive). They responded that they would wait until the end of that period. I sent the requested chapters, but haven't heard back. I should follow up, but I've been querying heavily on another project and haven't gotten back to it, but thought about it today when I was updating my Excel chart.
JinniBlack is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-10-2009, 12:10 AM   #13
Liz Madison
Simply Baroque

Liz Madison is on a distinguished road
I queried Cornerstone Literary Agency about a year ago. I received an e-mail response from Helen Breitwieser (don't know if she's the only agent there or what) that if I hadn't signed with an agent yet that I should send her the first three chapters. Shortly afterward I received a letter that said she wasn't accepting any more clients. I queried her wondering if there had been some mistake (the timing from when I sent in the requested chapters and receiving the form reject letter was very close), and she responded right away instructing me to ignore that letter. She called a month later and said she loved the first three chapters and that I should send the rest of the manuscript. How excited I was! But I never heard back from her, despite several attempts to confirm what's obviously a rejection. I understand that she's got a good reputation, but my experience was frustrating to say the least. Ah well. Onward!
Liz Madison is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-30-2011, 08:08 PM   #14
CaoPaux
Mostly Harmless
SuperModerator

CaoPaux is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsCaoPaux is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsCaoPaux is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsCaoPaux is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsCaoPaux is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsCaoPaux is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsCaoPaux is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsCaoPaux is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsCaoPaux is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsCaoPaux is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsCaoPaux is so great that we've run out of appropriate compliments
She took down her PM page, so here's her AQ page: http://www.agentquery.com/agent.aspx?agentid=17
I've never known any trouble that an hour's reading didn't assuage. -- Charles DeSecondat

2013: II2014:
CaoPaux is offline   Reply With Quote