Read Books By AWers!

Welcome to the AbsoluteWrite Water Cooler! Please read The Newbie Guide To Absolute Write

editing for authors ad

A publisher or agency using Google ads to solicit your novel probably isn't anyone you want to write for.

Go Back   Absolute Write Water Cooler > General Writing Interest > Young Adult
Register FAQ Calendar Mark Forums Read

Old 11-26-2007, 10:37 PM   #1
donut
fame-seeking floozy

donut is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsdonut is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsdonut is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsdonut is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsdonut is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsdonut is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsdonut is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsdonut is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsdonut is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsdonut is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsdonut is so great that we've run out of appropriate compliments
Why are some teenage books not YA?

As far as I can tell, the only real definition for YA lit is that protagonist should be a teenager dealing with the various problems of adolescence. However, I can think of a few recent books with teenage protagonists that were primarily marketed toward adults. I'm thinking specifically of Special Topics in Calamity Physics and Prep, although I'm sure there are others.

Can anyone here explain why these books are considered adult lit rather than YA?

I will be in the bar
with my head on the bar
donut is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-26-2007, 11:01 PM   #2
OverTheHills&FarAway
McNifico

OverTheHills&FarAway leaves trails of profuse coolnessOverTheHills&FarAway leaves trails of profuse coolnessOverTheHills&FarAway leaves trails of profuse coolnessOverTheHills&FarAway leaves trails of profuse coolnessOverTheHills&FarAway leaves trails of profuse coolness
It's all about tone and pacing and um, tone. Voice.

The only one of those I've read is Prep, and I KNOW it's been discussed here before, so I might I'm just regurgitating what was already said, but that book has a nostalgic feel to it, it's slower, more introspective, as you'd expect from someone older looking back on their years in prep school.

Although she deals with all the things you typically find in YA: wanting acceptance, loneliness, finding love, oral sex and all that fun stuff, it's not...as immediate. It's slower, more dream-like. She's looking back. I don't think she really learned. While she WAS growing up at the time, I don't think it was *about* that experience of growing up. Even though it kinda was. (Notmakinganysense)

Okay, the way I see it, it's the act of remembering, and applying those memories to her current life. And how she's STILL struggling with those issues, as an adult. It wasn't about being a young adult. It was about never really getting over being a young adult.

Does that make any sense whatsoever? Did I answer your question??

OverTheHills&FarAway is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-26-2007, 11:31 PM   #3
donut
fame-seeking floozy

donut is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsdonut is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsdonut is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsdonut is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsdonut is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsdonut is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsdonut is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsdonut is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsdonut is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsdonut is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsdonut is so great that we've run out of appropriate compliments
Oh, sorry, I didn't see that thread. It's here, if anyone's interested. I wonder if anyone would say the same thing about Special Topics...

I will be in the bar
with my head on the bar
donut is offline   Reply With Quote