Read Books By AWers!

Welcome to the AbsoluteWrite Water Cooler! Please read The Newbie Guide To Absolute Write

editing for authors ad

A publisher or agency using Google ads to solicit your novel probably isn't anyone you want to write for.

Go Back   Absolute Write Water Cooler > Discussion > Bewares, Recommendations & Background Check
Register FAQ Calendar Mark Forums Read

Old 08-18-2004, 04:06 AM   #1
advicesisterA

[Agency] BookEnds, LLC / Beyond the Page Publishing

This is my first post here .

I have been approached by Jacky Sach, literary agent, to do a project for Adams Media, a publisher.

I have not have experience either with the agent or the publisher. I won't go into the details although I am surprised that I was approached by an agent since it's usually the other way around.

Should I be flattered, or worried? I'm writing to ask if anyone has possible feedback on the agent or the publisher. My assumption, based on the lack of info out there so far, is that they are both on the level and, should I find the deal acceptable, not in for any major, nasty surprises.

But I could really use some reassurance and feedback on this one. Thanks in advance for providing it, if you can.

Thanks!
Old 08-18-2004, 04:10 AM   #2
James D Macdonald

Re: Need feedback, fast *should I be worried or flattered

Is this to be a non-fiction book, and are you a noted authority in the field?
Old 08-18-2004, 05:00 AM   #3
vstrauss

Is this is Jacky Sach of BookEnds? If so, it's a successful agency with a solid record of sales and, as far as I'm aware, a good reputation. (I believe BookEnds also does book packaging, so you should be clear on whether she's approaching you as a literary agent or a packager.)

Adams Media is a well-known nonfiction publisher.

Did she approach you as a result of published work? This does sometimes happen.

- Victoria
Old 08-18-2004, 05:25 AM   #4
advicesisterA

yes to all your questions. Yes, it's a non-fiction book. Yes, I am a noted author in my field. Yes, i assume she approached me after doing an internet check for relationship experts as she initially said how much she liked my web site. Yes, she approached me as an agent, not a book packager.

But I've never been asked to do a work for hire. While I have some potentially great ideas for this book, I'm worried about giving them away for a flat rate with no hope of holidng onto the ideas OR the content.

On the other hand, my ideas could sit locked in my head or in outlines on my hard drive for a long time, or perhaps, forever, The relationship field is a very competitive one. I haven't attempted to publish one without a co-author but since my co-author died, I haven't really gone after this kind of work.

I'm really not sure what to do.
Old 08-18-2004, 06:40 AM   #5
aka eraser

Are you certain the contract is for work for hire? Perhaps it can be negotiated. Asking never hurts.
Old 08-18-2004, 06:42 AM   #6
James D Macdonald

Friends don't let friends sign work-for-hire contracts.

Negotiate. The copyright in your name, and advance vs. royalties.

If it's that hot an idea, you'll find a publisher who will give you that, and they know it.
Old 08-18-2004, 06:47 AM   #7
advicesisterA

I was told no negotiation - it is definitely one of their work for hire series so they aren't going to let me get hold of the copyright. Work for hire generally means no royalties (and that was spelled out immediately). It's a flat rate and total ownership. But..it never hurts to try and I will . I don't WANT to work for hire and I never have before, but I want to be writing again. This fell in my lap and is an easy way back to business.

Life is hard, everything else, easy
Old 08-18-2004, 07:07 AM   #8
James D Macdonald

Hmmm... if she's offering a work-for-hire contract, no negotiation, that's a packager deal, not agency representation.

Let your conscience be your guide.
Old 08-18-2004, 05:08 PM   #9
absolutewrite

James, not true with Adams... I wrote a book for them (Words You Thought You Knew) for standard advance/royalty. Then I pitched them a book for another line of theirs and they offered me a work-for-hire flat rate contract. I balked, they told me it was non-negotiable. Even my editor (who liked me plenty) couldn't get them to negotiate terms. It seems that for certain series of theirs, they'll only do work-for-hire. Dumb. But it's not a packaging deal.

Oh, and BookEnds is good. I have recommended friends of mine to them. Nice people, solid sales, seem to be good communicators, and both were authors. I think I interviewed Jessica. Could have been Jacky. I forget which.
Old 08-18-2004, 05:17 PM   #10
James D Macdonald

I've done a bunch of work-for-hire gigs in my career, enough to say that they're a mistake.
Old 08-18-2004, 06:10 PM   #11
absolutewrite

Oh. I should have clarified: I did NOT take the work-for-hire deal with Adams. Sold the book to a different publisher.

I have, however, worked for book packagers-- the first two books I wrote were for packagers. Children's educational books. I don't regret it. I enjoyed the experience and made enough money to make it worth my while.
Old 08-18-2004, 10:37 PM   #12
advicesisterA

thanks again for all your feedback. I think that there are valid reasons to hold out for a regular book contract. On the other hand, there are times in life when you might accept a job you wouldn't normally consider. For me, this is one of those times. So, while I'm still not sure what I'll do, I do know my reasons for possibly doing this project. It isn't the money, but there are other real and potential benefits.

Again, I want to thank you for helping me put some perspective on this situation. I hope I can do the same for someone else in a similar situation, someday (smile)!
Old 07-28-2005, 03:35 AM   #13
CaoPaux
Mostly Harmless
SuperModerator

CaoPaux is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsCaoPaux is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsCaoPaux is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsCaoPaux is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsCaoPaux is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsCaoPaux is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsCaoPaux is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsCaoPaux is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsCaoPaux is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsCaoPaux is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsCaoPaux is so great that we've run out of appropriate compliments
Jacky Sach of BookEnds, LLC.

http://www.bookends-inc.com/index.htm

Gee, that middle book looks familiar.
I've never known any trouble that an hour's reading didn't assuage. -- Charles DeSecondat

2013: II2014:
CaoPaux is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-21-2005, 08:06 PM   #14
jerseykat
Self-Proclaimed Art Addict

jerseykat is on a distinguished road
BookEnds Agency

http://www.bookends-inc.com

Has anyone worked with them? Or have heard any stories about working with them?

They seem OK to me, but I just want to make sure.
jerseykat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-22-2005, 01:47 AM   #15
Maryn
You, too?
AW Moderator

Maryn is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsMaryn is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsMaryn is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsMaryn is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsMaryn is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsMaryn is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsMaryn is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsMaryn is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsMaryn is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsMaryn is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsMaryn is so great that we've run out of appropriate compliments
Preditors and Editors gives them its coveted dollar sign, which means "has one or more verified sales to a legitimate royalty-paying publisher."

Maryn, sure someone with more information will arrive in due time
Old 11-23-2005, 08:19 PM   #16
Perks
delicate #!&@*#! flower

Perks is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsPerks is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsPerks is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsPerks is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsPerks is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsPerks is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsPerks is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsPerks is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsPerks is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsPerks is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsPerks is so great that we've run out of appropriate compliments
Very nice, very professional and excellent sales record. Jacky Sach read my manuscript and, although ultimately declined, gave me valuable feedback and priceless encouragement. Jump at the chance to impress them.
Perks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2006, 11:18 PM   #17
UrsusMinor
practical experience, FTW

UrsusMinor is well-respected
I'm with Perks. Jacky is great--and when she sat on an ms of mine (liked it, but decided it was too far outside her list), when she rejected it she referred me to two agents she thought would want it, and invited me to say that she had recommended it to them.

She's smart, thoughtful, and considerate, and I would have signed with her in a flash. (She was also right--my ms. was too far off her list.)
UrsusMinor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2006, 11:23 PM   #18
Sonarbabe
Working In A Coal Mine...

Sonarbabe is well-respected
Very polite, though they ultimately passed on my ms.

2009 Acceptance Pledge 0/2
2009 Rejection Pledge 0/10

Current WIP 46,492/65,000

Oooh! I have a website.
Sonarbabe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2006, 12:22 AM   #19
OneTeam OneDream
Been a long time...

OneTeam OneDream has earned our admirationOneTeam OneDream has earned our admirationOneTeam OneDream has earned our admirationOneTeam OneDream has earned our admiration
they are quick too
OneTeam OneDream is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2006, 04:17 AM   #20
thewriterslife
New Fish; Learning About Thick Skin

thewriterslife is on a distinguished road
I'm not sure about quick. They've had mine for about two years now. I think it got lost...

Dorothy
www.bookmarketingbuzz.com
thewriterslife is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-21-2006, 07:20 PM   #21
Grampa Joe

Grampa Joe is on a distinguished road
Bookends, LLC

Whoo-whee! Now I'm psyched! I just got an email from agent Kim Lionetti at Bookends wanting to see more about The Murder of Andrew Sigler. First agent that hasn't said "no".
Grampa Joe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-21-2006, 08:16 PM   #22
KAP
Hangin' with the gargies

KAP is a glorious beacon of lightKAP is a glorious beacon of light
Quote:
Originally Posted by Grampa Joe
Whoo-whee! Now I'm psyched! I just got an email from agent Kim Lionetti at Bookends wanting to see more about The Murder of Andrew Sigler. First agent that hasn't said "no".
WooHoo! Go, Grandpa Joe. Wow 'em.
Dark Knowledge - When good and evil intertwine, taking one means accepting the other.
Above Haldis Notch - Physical death is tragic, but the death of a spirit is a life forever lost.
Daeva - Under contract with Aqueous Books for November 2015 release.
KAP is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-21-2006, 09:00 PM   #23
Branwyn
Print release:Sept.1,'09

Branwyn has a golden reputationBranwyn has a golden reputationBranwyn has a golden reputationBranwyn has a golden reputationBranwyn has a golden reputationBranwyn has a golden reputation
Good Luck

They passed on my proposal. They were fairly quick. 8 weeks.
The Upside of Karma
Branwyn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-21-2006, 09:21 PM   #24
Grampa Joe

Grampa Joe is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by Baywitch
Good Luck

They passed on my proposal. They were fairly quick. 8 weeks.
Oh, dear, Baywitch. All I can do is keep my fingers and toes crossed, then. I need to get a proposal to them, and I've not been successful at building one before. Need to make this super-dooper, I guess. I'll get my wife to help cuz she is good at proposals. She proposed to me about 50 years ago.
Grampa Joe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-22-2006, 01:54 AM   #25
Toni1953
practical experience, FTW

Toni1953 is a glorious beacon of lightToni1953 is a glorious beacon of lightToni1953 is a glorious beacon of light
from all I have heard, BookEnds is legit and very professional. they've passed on all my manuscripts so far, but their reputation is very good.
Toni1953 is offline   Reply With Quote