Read Books By AWers!

Welcome to the AbsoluteWrite Water Cooler! Please read The Newbie Guide To Absolute Write

editing for authors ad

A publisher or agency using Google ads to solicit your novel probably isn't anyone you want to write for.

Go Back   Absolute Write Water Cooler > Discussion > Bewares, Recommendations & Background Check
Register FAQ Calendar Mark Forums Read

Old 08-15-2007, 05:01 AM   #1
rwam
practical experience, FTW

rwam has earned our admirationrwam has earned our admirationrwam has earned our admirationrwam has earned our admiration
[Agency] Objective Entertainment

Anyone have any experience with Objective Entertainment? Maybe it's me, but it seems like I've noticed them popping up on AgentQuery.com all of a sudden. Are they a new agency? Their website looks like they're in the process of building it and their agents seem to have been with legit agencies in the past.
rwam is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-15-2007, 06:41 AM   #2
payitforward
Muppet Girl

payitforward is well-respected
Hi There,

I just got an agent request to see a partial of my fantasy novel. I'll let you know how it goes.

From what I've seen, yes, they're a new agency, but I think it's being built up by people who've been around in the entertainment field, so I think it might get good deals quickly. We'll see!
payitforward is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-15-2007, 03:24 PM   #3
rwam

rwam has earned our admirationrwam has earned our admirationrwam has earned our admirationrwam has earned our admiration
Cool, thanks...best of luck to you!
rwam is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-15-2007, 05:32 PM   #4
JerseyGirl1962
I heart Malamutes! :-)

JerseyGirl1962 is a shiny, shiny jewelJerseyGirl1962 is a shiny, shiny jewel
I found this at http://www.vistacomp.com/pub_moves/p...es_2007_1.html :

Objective Entertainment
Former Literary Group agent Ian Kleinert will lead a new management and production company, Objective Entertainment, formed by Mudd Jeans founder Marty Weisfeld and veteran music manager and television producer Jarred Weisfeld.

which the website said was gotten Publisher's Marketplace.

Ian Kleinert was an agent at The Literary Group (which is legit). Jarred Weisfeld apparently has produced, directed, and written a bunch of movies (although I've never heard of any of them: Pranksta is one of them, if that rings a bell with anyone). Not sure where the Mudd Jeans guy comes in (unless he's a brother or cousin of Jarred Weisfeld).

Sounds legit to me.

~Nancy

I twit, therefore I am?

Opportunity is missed by most people because it is dressed in overalls and looks like work. ~Thomas Edison

It took me fifteen years to discover that I had no talent for writing, but I couldn't give it up because by that time I was too famous. ~Robert Benchley
JerseyGirl1962 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-24-2007, 06:10 PM   #5
Chalula88

Chalula88 is a shiny, shiny jewelChalula88 is a shiny, shiny jewel
Objective Entertainment - Yvonne Woon

She requested my partial. Has anyone ever heard of her?

My Blog

Perfect Flaw Anthology
Chalula88 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-24-2007, 06:14 PM   #6
Chalula88

Chalula88 is a shiny, shiny jewelChalula88 is a shiny, shiny jewel
Oops! They weren't listed in the directory, but when I did a google search I found a post of them already on the website.

Sorry about that!

My Blog

Perfect Flaw Anthology
Chalula88 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-19-2007, 04:04 AM   #7
CaoPaux
Mostly Harmless
SuperModerator

CaoPaux is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsCaoPaux is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsCaoPaux is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsCaoPaux is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsCaoPaux is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsCaoPaux is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsCaoPaux is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsCaoPaux is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsCaoPaux is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsCaoPaux is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsCaoPaux is so great that we've run out of appropriate compliments
The aforementioned protosite: http://www.objectiveent.com/

Also, Brendan Deneen joined mid-year, and recently signed Fred Wieche.
I've never known any trouble that an hour's reading didn't assuage. -- Charles DeSecondat

2013: II2014:
CaoPaux is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-22-2007, 05:24 AM   #8
honeycomb
Caroline

honeycomb is well-respected
For those of you with the partial requests from Yvonne Woon, have you heard anything yet?

www.alexandthelamb.com
my blog: http://carolinewilson.typepad.com
www.myspace.com/carolinewilsonbooks
-------------------------------
Published: 1 Children's Book
WIP: 1
What would I have done differently before submitting my first work for publication?
- Learn the art of writing
- Join Absolutewrite
- Research: publishing houses, agents, how the business works
honeycomb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-28-2007, 01:07 AM   #9
cethklein
Awwww rats!!!!

cethklein has a double-platinum reputationcethklein has a double-platinum reputationcethklein has a double-platinum reputationcethklein has a double-platinum reputationcethklein has a double-platinum reputationcethklein has a double-platinum reputationcethklein has a double-platinum reputation
Quote:
Originally Posted by heatercat View Post
I looked into this, got an offer, a contract that looked pretty standard until

"Reimbursements for Expenses: You agree to reimburse us for the resonable expenses in connection with the disposition of any rights to the Work and any worsk derived therefrom, such as copying the manuscript, retyping the manuscript, postage, messengers or express delivery. All extraordinary expenses shall be subject to your consent. At our discretion, you shall reiumburse us in cash or we may deduct such expenses from your advances or other earnings from any work hereunder."

Sounds like a scam to me. Agree?
Yeah that's a red flag right there. I'm no expert but that's all I need to know to tell me to steer clear.

cethklein is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-28-2007, 01:20 AM   #10
Toothpaste
OUTCAST is out now!!!!

Toothpaste is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsToothpaste is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsToothpaste is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsToothpaste is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsToothpaste is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsToothpaste is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsToothpaste is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsToothpaste is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsToothpaste is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsToothpaste is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsToothpaste is so great that we've run out of appropriate compliments
Actually I beg to differ. There are many agents who make such stipulations who are legit. I know my agency did (and don't worry, they are a top agency and very well respected), yet at the same time I don't think they have actually ever charged me for anything. I can't say if this agency is a scam or is not, I have done no research on the subject, but this isn't necessarily a red flag.

My Website,
Follow Me On Twitter!

Toothpaste is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-28-2007, 01:27 AM   #11
waylander
Who's going for a beer?

waylander is better than ice cream with hot fudgewaylander is better than ice cream with hot fudgewaylander is better than ice cream with hot fudgewaylander is better than ice cream with hot fudgewaylander is better than ice cream with hot fudgewaylander is better than ice cream with hot fudgewaylander is better than ice cream with hot fudge
Quote:

"Reimbursements for Expenses: You agree to reimburse us for the resonable expenses in connection with the disposition of any rights to the Work and any worsk derived therefrom, such as copying the manuscript, retyping the manuscript, postage, messengers or express delivery. All extraordinary expenses shall be subject to your consent. At our discretion, you shall reiumburse us in cash or we may deduct such expenses from your advances or other earnings from any work hereunder."

No
Sounds like a perfectly standard agency clause
waylander is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-28-2007, 01:54 AM   #12
Stew21
SuperModerator

Stew21 is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsStew21 is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsStew21 is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsStew21 is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsStew21 is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsStew21 is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsStew21 is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsStew21 is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsStew21 is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsStew21 is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsStew21 is so great that we've run out of appropriate compliments
I've heard of this as well. Some legit agents do this, absolutely.
When they take their commission from the advance on the sale of your book, they also take the fees. they run you a tab until then.

My poetry pick of the week (I say that like I pick one every week; I don't) belongs to Kuwisdelu.
Stew21 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-28-2007, 01:59 AM   #13
mscelina
Teh doommobile, drivin' rite by you

Location: Going shopping with Soccer Mom and Bubastes for fudz. Not pie. I do not share pie. EVER.
mscelina is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsmscelina is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsmscelina is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsmscelina is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsmscelina is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsmscelina is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsmscelina is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsmscelina is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsmscelina is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsmscelina is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsmscelina is so great that we've run out of appropriate compliments
SFWA's Model Agent-Author Contract --http://www.sfwa.org/contracts/agents_cont.htm--

addresses this in section five. It is normal for some agencies to list expenses for which they should be reimbursed. The direct section and comments of the SFWA are listed below:

Quote:
5. EXPENSES BORNE BY LITERARY AGENT. From the Literary Agent's Commission, the Literary Agent shall pay (a) all subsidiary or split commissions required by foreign or subsidiary agents, and (b) such other costs, listed in the attached Rider, as Literary Agent may incur in promoting or selling the Author's Represented Works. The Literary Agent shall not be reimbursed for such expenses and need not account for them to the Author, except that the Author shall reimburse the Literary Agent for unusual expenses, incurred by the Literary Agent with the Author's prior consent, for the Represented Works. {This phrase is the best case for the author, but it's just another component of the give and take between author and agent, and should be factored into the projected agent commission when comparing two otherwise equal agents. Often, the agents charging higher commission rates are willing to include some expenses in their commission. Just be clear on what you'll be expected to pay for, and if you can, limit additional expenses to those applicable to works actually sold.}

Last edited by mscelina; 12-28-2007 at 02:01 AM. Reason: linkiepoo added
mscelina is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-28-2007, 02:01 AM   #14
IceCreamEmpress
Hapless Virago

IceCreamEmpress is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsIceCreamEmpress is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsIceCreamEmpress is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsIceCreamEmpress is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsIceCreamEmpress is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsIceCreamEmpress is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsIceCreamEmpress is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsIceCreamEmpress is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsIceCreamEmpress is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsIceCreamEmpress is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsIceCreamEmpress is so great that we've run out of appropriate compliments
Quote:

No. It's a completely standard agency clause.

Quote:

If they don't sell it, but they claim to have made a hundred copies/reprints, whatever-- I pay them. That's what I understand from it.

That sounds like an easy way of making money off authors.

I've never heard of this happening with a legitimate agency (charging these expenses for a MS they couldn't sell). I know that my last agents took the copying $$ out of the advance, and it was something around $100.

It's not a big deal to me, but if it's something you don't want to deal with, renegotiate it. It's certainly not a sign that these folks are scammers.

Last edited by IceCreamEmpress; 12-28-2007 at 02:08 AM. Reason: Added more stuff.
IceCreamEmpress is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-28-2007, 02:01 AM   #15
Gravity
Seen 'em come, seen 'em go

Location: Once you've heard the truth, everything else is just cheap whiskey.
Gravity is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsGravity is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsGravity is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsGravity is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsGravity is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsGravity is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsGravity is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsGravity is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsGravity is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsGravity is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsGravity is so great that we've run out of appropriate compliments
And with more and more houses being open to email submissions, I forsee this becoming less of an issue. Hope so anyway.

commercially published: Abyss, Until the Last Dog Dies, When Skylarks Fall, To Skin a Cat, and Last Call

agent Chip MacGregor presently querying: Pitfall

http://www.johnrobinsonbooks.com

http://www.johnrobinsonbooks.com/blog.htm
check out my blog; c'mon, you know you want to.
Gravity is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-28-2007, 06:48 AM   #16
DaveKuzminski
Preditors & Editors
Requiescat In Pace

DaveKuzminski is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsDaveKuzminski is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsDaveKuzminski is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsDaveKuzminski is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsDaveKuzminski is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsDaveKuzminski is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsDaveKuzminski is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsDaveKuzminski is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsDaveKuzminski is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsDaveKuzminski is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsDaveKuzminski is so great that we've run out of appropriate compliments
It's only a red flag if they want the money up front before anything's been copied, mailed, or otherwise handled that requires a fee. Otherwise, when it's paid from the commission or upon termination of your contract with them, it's normal.
DaveKuzminski is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-28-2007, 08:20 AM   #17
dantem42

dantem42 is on a distinguished road
My agent had a clause like this in his contract, but never actually charged me these items even after the advance came in. He told me he keeps it in there just in case a client does something that really gets his goat.
dantem42 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-28-2007, 05:53 PM   #18
Ken
and friends . . .

Ken is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsKen is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsKen is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsKen is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsKen is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsKen is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsKen is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsKen is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsKen is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsKen is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsKen is so great that we've run out of appropriate compliments
Unhappy beginning to panic

Got me a requested partial over at Objective Entertainment too. How long will it take to be reviewed, do you think? I'm beginning to panic as it's been over a month now since I sent it over. Maybe they were so unimpressed by it that they just tossed it in the trash along with a half-eaten tuna sandwich and pickle slice.

ps Y'all sound very nice.
Ken is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-28-2007, 08:49 PM   #19
gerrydodge

gerrydodge has a spectacular auragerrydodge has a spectacular aura
Quote:
Originally Posted by anis View Post
Got me a requested partial over at Objective Entertainment too. How long will it take to be reviewed, do you think? I'm beginning to panic as it's been over a month now since I sent it over. Maybe they were so unimpressed by it that they just tossed it in the trash along with a half-eaten tuna sandwich and pickle slice.

Don't panic. Brenden Deneen asked for a partial and the only reason he's reading it now is because other agents asked for the whole after reading partials and I told him so. They are a fine agency and you just have to be patient.
gerrydodge is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-29-2007, 04:03 AM   #20
Ken
and friends . . .

Ken is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsKen is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsKen is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsKen is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsKen is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsKen is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsKen is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsKen is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsKen is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsKen is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsKen is so great that we've run out of appropriate compliments
Thumbs up Thanks Gerry

Thanks for the insight Gerry. You've put my mind at ease. Good luck with your own ms, though from the sound of things it sounds like you are in the drivers seat with a tank full of gas.
Old 12-31-2007, 02:28 AM   #21
honeycomb
Caroline

Quote:
Maybe they were so unimpressed by it that they just tossed it in the trash along with a half-eaten tuna sandwich and pickle slice.

Okay Anis,

Enough with the self-doubt. If they asked for it, I'm sure it's what they're looking for. I'm sure it's great.

But if you want to laugh, you probably sent it during the holiday's Thanksgiving maybe, so it may be in with the Turkey, stuffing and cranberry sauce.

Please let us know as soon as you hear from them. I'm praying for you!!!!

www.alexandthelamb.com
What would I have done differently before submitting my first work for publication?
- Join Absolutewrite
Old 12-31-2007, 09:25 PM   #22
Ken
and friends . . .

Unhappy AHHH! NOT CRANBERRY SAUCE!!!

Turkey and Stuffing are scrumptious enough to eat by the pound! Cranberry Sauce is an entirely different matter, though. That stuff is just plain nasty. What really gets my goat is that it's made up to look and bobble about like Cherry Jello which is delish.

...and so is Honey from out of the Comb! (Meaning to say your kind words and pledged prayers have made me very, very .)

Will keep you posted about my ms's fate. ps Cool avatar. Must get myself one ... of a raccoon, maybe?
Old 01-01-2008, 06:56 PM   #23
honeycomb
Caroline

Quote:
Cranberry Sauce is an entirely different matter, though. That stuff is just plain nasty. What really gets my goat is that it's made up to look and bobble about like Cherry Jello which is delish.
I agree with the cranberry sauch. Oooh Yuk!

If you ever need encouraging send me an email.

www.alexandthelamb.com
- Join Absolutewrite
Old 01-10-2008, 01:57 AM   #24
Ken
and friends . . .

Unhappy I Can't Win

I took Honeycomb up on her gracious offer and sent her a message, last week, but haven't heard back from her yet . So now, in addition to anxiously awaiting a reply from Objective Entertainment, I am now also waiting for one from her.

I suspect I blew things by relaying a bit more personal info to her than I should have, regarding the dire economic situation I'm now in, due to my complete absorbtion in writing, over the years, and utter disregard for financial concerns, which have finally overtaken me.

Why couldn't I have just spoken about some trite matter in my missive to Honeycomb, like the unseasonably warm weather we're experiencing in my neck of the woods.

Well who knows, maybe she'll still get back to me . . . though that's probably more unlikely than ever now, in light of this recent reply of mine.

Last edited by Ken; 01-10-2008 at 02:00 AM. Reason: spelling error
Old 01-10-2008, 02:35 AM   #25
Spiny Norman

Spiny Norman has a spectacular auraSpiny Norman has a spectacular aura
Hm. Sounds interesting. Color them queried.

Don't think I would have found out about them if it wasn't for this thread.
Spiny Norman is offline   Reply With Quote