• Guest please check The Index before starting a thread.

Prospero Films / Media Arts International / Avalon Associates (Robin Price)

backinblighty

Robin Price (using company names Prospero Films, Media Arts International and Avalon) pretends to be a literary Agent but in fact he is a con man. He encourages writers to write scripts, magazines and novels in the belief that he has a market for them and then charges them for bogus legal fees and set up costs... but nothing ever comes of it. This man must be known about and stopped. Please visit www.robinprice.org.uk to find out more.

Plot Device

A woman said to write like a man.
Registered
Reaction score
Website
sandwichboardroom.blogspot.com
Any other web sites like P&E have info on him? The web site you've linked seems to be a one-man vendetta against Mr. Price. And you're a one-time poster here at AW. So some credibility is wanting.

The testimonial of Ms. Smedley on your web site was impressive. And the link back to her own web site is also impressive.

But have you any more?

petec

Lurking
Registered
Reaction score
Go to robinprice link above-what people say-Jenny Smedley-bottom of page-jennysmedly.com-writers advice/warnings

Carmy

Banned
Reaction score
Listen to backinblighty, he's telling it as it is and giving you fair warning.

Just in case anyone thinks this is sour grapes -- no, I was never a 'client' of Robin's because I was warned about him.

Victoria, Dave, Moderators -- if you need more detail, please contact me. I'll give you what I know but I won't go into details on a public site.

Mac H.

Board Visitor
Registered
Reaction score
Robin Price (using company names Prospero Films, Media Arts International and Avalon) pretends to be a literary Agent ...
Just a quick note - this has nothing to do with Prospero films in Western Australia.

The proof that Prospero Films in WA is legit is that they had the good sense to reject my last film project.

Good luck,

Mac

victoriastrauss

Writer Beware Goddess
Kind Benefactor
Absolute Sage
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.victoriastrauss.com
Any other web sites like P&E have info on him? The web site you've linked seems to be a one-man vendetta against Mr. Price. And you're a one-time poster here at AW. So some credibility is wanting.
See the quote from Writer Beware on the front page of the site. This was provided by me. Quoting again here:

"We've received multiple complaints about Robin Price and his various operations (among them, Avalon Films and Media Arts International), dating back to 2001. Complaints include charging an annual or semi-annual 'representation' fee (£50-£150: reputable agents don't charge upfront fees), false promises of publisher/production company interest (for instance, publishers that never got manuscript submissions Price claimed to make), false claims of pending film productions/financing, and false claims of association with well-known writers."

BBC Watchdog did a segment on Price a couple of years ago, and came up with the same conclusions. Their report is no longer online, but I have a copy.

- Victoria

Lorelei

I am otherwise known as Jenny Smedley, and I can assure you everything said on www.robinprice.org.uk is sadly, true. I was caught up with this man for some time and was lucky to 'suss' him out just before it got too embarassing. It was also just at the point when he starts asking for money to 'progress' your project. So, yes I was very lucky. Other people have ended up losing their homes as well as their dignity.

Please, anyone who knows anything more, send it to the website so that they can put it on there. My congrats to the webmaster as the site comes up first try now on Google.

wez

Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.stevewestcott.com
I am otherwise known as Jenny Smedley, and I can assure you everything said on www.robinprice.org.uk is sadly, true. I was caught up with this man for some time and was lucky to 'suss' him out just before it got too embarassing. It was also just at the point when he starts asking for money to 'progress' your project. So, yes I was very lucky. Other people have ended up losing their homes as well as their dignity.

Please, anyone who knows anything more, send it to the website so that they can put it on there. My congrats to the webmaster as the site comes up first try now on Google.

I wholeheartedly endorse Jenny's comments. Like Jenny, I signed with RP, but little hairs on the back of my neck rose and warmed me off him before I got drawn into his web of deceit and cons - and before I parted with any money. Unfortunately, a friend did not and ended up parting with lots of dosh before realising he had been conned.. RP is an out and out conman. At the moment he is under police investigation, or so I am led to believe. The detective involved contacted me for my tale of woe, but I had nothing to give him other than the names of people I knew who had been dealt a blow, both in the pocket and to their dreams.

Stay well clear of the man is thebest advice I could give.

Lorelei

I'm sure we could get the policeman to email Victoria if she wanted him to :)
I'm glad you didn't loose any money Wez, too many people did.
I'm constantly staggered as we gradually learn of more and more of them.
I hope the police are able to contact your friends.

wez

Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.stevewestcott.com
I'm sure we could get the policeman to email Victoria if she wanted him to :)
I'm glad you didn't loose any money Wez, too many people did.
I'm constantly staggered as we gradually learn of more and more of them.
I hope the police are able to contact your friends.

Hi L,

I think Victoria and the policeman will be in touch very soon. ;)

At first, I got regular edits from RP's 'editor', which, to be fair, were very good - since found out he got ripped off by RP and never paid for his editing! Some 3000 GBP! - and then came the Watchdog programme so I did some research, told RP what I had found out, for which he had every plausible excuse under the sun, and then I told him he would not be getting any dosh from me. Guess what? No more contact, but I did find out who edited my stuff and have stayed in contact with him. Nice guy, and a fellow writer. Now published by MacMillan. The friend who initially put me in touch with RP was not so lucky, unfortunately. He did not believe me when I told him I thought RP was a conman, believing RP's lies. Now he knows the truth, and is a little miffed, to say the least.

Like you say, the more we learn of him and his schemes the more evil the man becomes and the more people that know about him the better.

Seen the Robin Price beware website? It is fantastic. Some of the scams are detailed by the scamees, and it makes horrific reading. I am sure if you google the name the link will be nmear the top!

All the best,

Wez

Lorelei

Robin Price

If anyone is working with this man, the police would like to know. They believe they have shut him down, (and are building a criminal case against him) but are concerned that he may still be milking someone. If you are using him, or you know anyone who is, please email me and I will pass you onto the relevent police officer.

CaoPaux

Mostly Harmless
Staff member
Super Moderator
Registered
Reaction score
Came to trial in March '11, and was sentenced to six years in prison. (via WB)