Read Books By AWers!

Welcome to the AbsoluteWrite Water Cooler! Please read The Newbie Guide To Absolute Write

editing for authors ad

A publisher or agency using Google ads to solicit your novel probably isn't anyone you want to write for.

Go Back   Absolute Write Water Cooler > Discussion > Bewares, Recommendations & Background Check
Register FAQ Calendar Mark Forums Read

Old 12-29-2004, 05:07 AM   #1
hopscotch2da

Simply Nonfiction Literary Agency / May Writers' Group (Michele Glance Rooney aka Shelly May)

The director is Michele Glance Rooney, looking for any info, fast
:eek
Old 12-29-2004, 05:31 AM   #2
underthecity

Re: Has anyone heard of Simply Nonfiction Literary Agency???

Hopscotch,

Preditors and Editors lists Simply Nonfiction as a fee-charging agency, and is NOT recommended. Preditors and Editors

Scroll down to Simply Nonfiction and you'll see it.

Keep looking for an agent that doesn't charge fees.

Good luck!

underthecity
Old 12-29-2004, 10:54 AM   #3
vstrauss

Re: Has anyone heard of Simply Nonfiction Literary Agency???

This is the new name of Creative Literary Agency, which charged a $45/mo representation fee (the whole annual amount due on contract signing) and as far as I know, had no sales.

- Victoria
Old 03-30-2005, 04:23 AM   #4
Kree Atv Khurz
New Fish; Learning About Thick Skin

Kree Atv Khurz is on a distinguished road
Red face Simply Nonfiction Agency

Greetings Fellow Wordsmiths!

I think I'm in love. After a year of painful rejections (I've come to enjoy, actually ) of letters, cards, packets, and e-mail queries, somebody finally wants my whole 400-page manuscript. But, alas, I have grown wary, having bought more than a few rare reams and jewel-colored ink jet cartridges. It was just a little e-mail. And now I'm going to be famous? Was I too forward or what? Anybody know this agency, up in Franklin, Michigan?

Cheers, Kree (Now you know the rest of the story.)
I should be starting the Lexmark print run now before dark sets in, instead of making clever coments, shouldn't I?

Last edited by Kree Atv Khurz; 03-30-2005 at 04:29 AM.
Kree Atv Khurz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-30-2005, 04:26 AM   #5
Kree Atv Khurz

Red face Simply Nonfiction Agency

Anybody know these folks? Thanks, Kree
Old 03-30-2005, 04:34 AM   #6
CaoPaux
Mostly Harmless
SuperModerator

CaoPaux is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsCaoPaux is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsCaoPaux is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsCaoPaux is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsCaoPaux is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsCaoPaux is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsCaoPaux is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsCaoPaux is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsCaoPaux is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsCaoPaux is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsCaoPaux is so great that we've run out of appropriate compliments
Thumbs down

According to P&E, they're a fee charger. I suggest checking out all agents and pubs here first: http://www.anotherealm.com/prededitors/pubagent.htm
I've never known any trouble that an hour's reading didn't assuage. -- Charles DeSecondat

2013: II2014:
CaoPaux is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-30-2005, 04:34 AM   #7
Torin
Wandering vaguely

Torin has a spectacular auraTorin has a spectacular aura
Anotherealm's Preditors and Editors listing says this:
Simply Nonfiction Literary Agency (formerly Creative Literary Agency): Charges fee. Not recommended.
In other words, be careful. Good luck.

Torin

http://www.cebarrett.com for excerpts from "Angels Among Us" and more. What if you were a closet heterosexual? What would you do when you met the woman of your dreams?

Last edited by Torin; 03-30-2005 at 04:35 AM. Reason: Add url for prededitors link
Torin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-30-2005, 06:41 AM   #8
victoriastrauss
Writer Beware Goddess
Absolute Sage

victoriastrauss is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsvictoriastrauss is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsvictoriastrauss is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsvictoriastrauss is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsvictoriastrauss is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsvictoriastrauss is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsvictoriastrauss is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsvictoriastrauss is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsvictoriastrauss is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsvictoriastrauss is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsvictoriastrauss is so great that we've run out of appropriate compliments
Re: Simply Nonfiction: Writer Beware has gotten recent reports of upfront fees due on contract signing ($100-150) plus monthly billings of between $40 and $50. This was also Ms. Rooney's M.O. with Creative Literary.

We haven't been able to find any commercial sales for this agency, under either of its names.

- Victoria

Victoria Strauss
www.victoriastrauss.com
Writer Beware: www.writerbeware.com
Writer Beware Blog: www.accrispin.blogspot.com
Follow me on Twitter

Last edited by victoriastrauss; 04-05-2005 at 09:31 PM.
victoriastrauss is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-30-2005, 12:41 PM   #9
MartyKay
Sockpuppet Hunter

MartyKay has a spectacular auraMartyKay has a spectacular aura
Any reason for two threads on this? http://absolutewrite.com/forums/showthread.php?t=9745 is the same topic and starter? Or did you doubleclick the submit key?? Kree, I'm not sure but I think you *might* be able to delete the other one... or just edit it anyway

marty
MartyKay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-30-2005, 08:56 PM   #10
Kree Atv Khurz

Thanks for the good help.

Torin and Victoria,
I asked the agent several questions to which she has not responded. Yes, it may just be an on-line library card or paper recycling shop.
Marty,
Sorry about the duplication. I am dangerous: an old editor, worked in early computer development, have little respect for the keys, and started on desktops before there was an Internet. I haven't found out yet how to delete threads. Do you know? I'll probably need to do a lot of that.
Kree(tin)
Old 04-03-2005, 10:26 PM   #11
tuttle

Question Anyone know of Michele Rooney out of Michigan?

Anyone know of her?
Is she a good agent?
Old 04-04-2005, 03:35 AM   #12
victoriastrauss
Writer Beware Goddess
Absolute Sage

victoriastrauss is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsvictoriastrauss is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsvictoriastrauss is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsvictoriastrauss is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsvictoriastrauss is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsvictoriastrauss is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsvictoriastrauss is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsvictoriastrauss is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsvictoriastrauss is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsvictoriastrauss is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsvictoriastrauss is so great that we've run out of appropriate compliments
She's discussed on another thread.

- Victoria

Victoria Strauss
www.victoriastrauss.com
Follow me on Twitter

Old 04-05-2005, 05:42 PM   #13
Eussie
Banned

Eussie is on a distinguished road
Michele Rooney Literary Agency

This agency just request my manuscript (no fee). Anyone heard of them?
Eussie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-05-2005, 07:24 PM   #14
zizban
Banned

zizban is a shiny, shiny jewelzizban is a shiny, shiny jewel
A google search turns up very little, just her name and her literary agency. I'd go ahead but proceed with caution and keep us updated.
zizban is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-05-2005, 07:43 PM   #15
DeadlyAccurate
Absolutely Fazed

DeadlyAccurate has a double-platinum reputationDeadlyAccurate has a double-platinum reputationDeadlyAccurate has a double-platinum reputationDeadlyAccurate has a double-platinum reputationDeadlyAccurate has a double-platinum reputationDeadlyAccurate has a double-platinum reputationDeadlyAccurate has a double-platinum reputation
I didn't find much else either. A claim that she adheres to AAR guidelines and only charges a 10% commission, but that's it. My suspicion would be whether she's had any sales, since I couldn't find any listed.
DeadlyAccurate is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-05-2005, 09:33 PM   #16
victoriastrauss
Writer Beware Goddess
Absolute Sage

Please, folks, do a search before asking about an agent. There are at least three other recent threads dealing with Michele Rooney and Simply Nonfiction.

The most informative one is here: http://absolutewrite.com/forums/show...435#post138435

- Victoria

Victoria Strauss
www.victoriastrauss.com
Follow me on Twitter

Old 04-05-2005, 11:07 PM   #17
Eussie
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by victoriastrauss
Please, folks, do a search before asking about an agent. There are at least three other recent threads dealing with Michele Rooney and Simply Nonfiction.

The most informative one is here: http://absolutewrite.com/forums/show...435#post138435

- Victoria
Sorry! I did do a search on"Michele Rooney Literary Agency" on google and nothing came up.

Maybe we should index this forum?
Old 04-05-2005, 11:30 PM   #18
CaoPaux
Mostly Harmless
SuperModerator

CaoPaux is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsCaoPaux is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsCaoPaux is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsCaoPaux is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsCaoPaux is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsCaoPaux is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsCaoPaux is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsCaoPaux is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsCaoPaux is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsCaoPaux is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsCaoPaux is so great that we've run out of appropriate compliments
Quote:
Originally Posted by Eussie
Maybe we should index this forum?
There's a Search function at the top of the page. It's also easy to flip back a few pages to see if a topic has been mentioned recently.
I've never known any trouble that an hour's reading didn't assuage. -- Charles DeSecondat

Old 04-05-2005, 11:40 PM   #19
Eussie
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by CaoPaux
There's a Search function at the top of the page. It's also easy to flip back a few pages to see if a topic has been mentioned recently.

Sheesh... I was only making a suggestion on how to avoid double posts. I missed the one a few posts down. Obviously I'm not the only one doing it if Victoria had to start the post with "Please folks..."

I've been here a few weeks so I don't mind a slap on the wrist, but what about the brand newbies? They don't know about the search features and the protocols and such. They're just looking for help and I thought a topic index would be a good place for them to start looking.
Old 04-05-2005, 11:55 PM   #20
CaoPaux
Mostly Harmless
SuperModerator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Eussie
Sheesh... I was only making a suggestion on how to avoid double posts. I missed the one a few posts down. Obviously I'm not the only one doing it if Victoria had to start the post with "Please folks..."

I've been here a few weeks so I don't mind a slap on the wrist, but what about the brand newbies? They don't know about the search features and the protocols and such. They're just looking for help and I thought a topic index would be a good place for them to start looking.
Sorry, didn't mean it as a "slap", just pointing out what seemed to be overlooked. Heck, I'll volunteer to do an index, if Victoria would like one.

Old 04-06-2005, 12:09 AM   #21
Eussie
Banned

Quote:
Sorry, didn't mean it as a "slap", just pointing out what seemed to be overlooked. Heck, I'll volunteer to do an index, if Victoria would like one.
Or maybe just an info post at the top of the forum.

I would offer to do it myself but I am getting ready for my math finals.
Old 04-06-2005, 12:32 AM   #22
DeadlyAccurate
Absolutely Fazed

DeadlyAccurate has a double-platinum reputationDeadlyAccurate has a double-platinum reputationDeadlyAccurate has a double-platinum reputationDeadlyAccurate has a double-platinum reputationDeadlyAccurate has a double-platinum reputationDeadlyAccurate has a double-platinum reputationDeadlyAccurate has a double-platinum reputation
Quote:
The advanced search feature is only showing those two threads started this week. A look back through the forum would not come across it if you didn't know her agency was called Simply Nonfiction.
DeadlyAccurate is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-06-2005, 02:00 AM   #23
dragonjax
I write stuff.

dragonjax has a double-platinum reputationdragonjax has a double-platinum reputationdragonjax has a double-platinum reputationdragonjax has a double-platinum reputationdragonjax has a double-platinum reputationdragonjax has a double-platinum reputationdragonjax has a double-platinum reputation
Also, regarding Google searches, I've found it very helpful to put only an agent's name in quote marks, followed by "literary agency" (not in quote marks). You may get more Web info on the agent that way.
Old 04-06-2005, 02:17 AM   #24
victoriastrauss
Writer Beware Goddess
Absolute Sage

An index would be incredibly useful, especially if it were updated from time to time. I wouldn't dare ask anyone to take on that onerous task, but if some suck...um, wonderful and enlightened person would volunteer, I wouldn't say no.

As for searching, I meant searching here. There's a search button at the top of the topic. Unfortunately it doesn't seem to work on the old AW threads, unless they've been updated since they were ported over here.

- Victoria

Victoria Strauss
www.victoriastrauss.com
Follow me on Twitter

Old 04-06-2005, 03:03 AM   #25
CaoPaux
Mostly Harmless
SuperModerator

Quote:
Originally Posted by victoriastrauss
As for searching, I meant searching here. There's a search button at the top of the topic. Unfortunately it doesn't seem to work on the old AW threads, unless they've been updated since they were ported over here.

- Victoria
Perfect reason for an index, since I don't think we'd want to go through and ping all the old threads. And it shouldn't be a problem to update it every couple weeks. Consider this data mined.

<invoke Murphy’s Law> Shouldn't take more than a couple days. </invoke Murphy's Law>