Read Books By AWers!

Welcome to the AbsoluteWrite Water Cooler! Please read The Newbie Guide To Absolute Write

editing for authors ad

A publisher or agency using Google ads to solicit your novel probably isn't anyone you want to write for.

Go Back   Absolute Write Water Cooler > Discussion > Bewares, Recommendations & Background Check
Register FAQ Calendar Mark Forums Read

Old 04-11-2007, 10:05 PM   #1
daTruth

WinePress Publishing / Pleasant Word

greetings everyone as i am new here. In fact, I have read a lot over here about publishing than anywhere else i could remember. Good work you're doing here.

my question is that has anyone come across Wine Press publishing and is there a woe I should watch out for? I am looking forward to publishing a Christian book on Prayer and Revival. Apart from the traditional press and POD like lulu has anyone has other recommendations?

I am a traveling pastor so I don't have that much problem with marketing my own book.

all suggestions welcomed!
Old 04-11-2007, 10:16 PM   #2
Robin Bayne
~writes for Him~

Robin Bayne has earned our admirationRobin Bayne has earned our admirationRobin Bayne has earned our admirationRobin Bayne has earned our admiration
If you definitely want to subsidy publish, I've heard nice things about Wine Press.

Another you might investigate is ACW Press.

Robin Bayne is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-11-2007, 10:26 PM   #3
daTruth

very quick reply, thanks. I am still investigating Wine Press, the pricing seems to be beyond high lol But I will find out what is involve. I have requested a package to look at.

I will start a research on ACW Press too as you said. I really feel subsidy is good for my first book at the moment though I have read a lot of things here to cause me to avoid it. But I know I can generate that money back and promote the book to make far more than I had spent on it.
Old 04-12-2007, 12:28 AM   #4
James D. Macdonald
Your Genial Uncle
Absolute Sage

James D. Macdonald is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsJames D. Macdonald is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsJames D. Macdonald is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsJames D. Macdonald is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsJames D. Macdonald is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsJames D. Macdonald is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsJames D. Macdonald is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsJames D. Macdonald is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsJames D. Macdonald is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsJames D. Macdonald is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsJames D. Macdonald is so great that we've run out of appropriate compliments
If you're planning to sell books from the back of the hall when you speak, and planning to put books on consignment in bookstores in areas you visit anyway, please check out the over-all cost of getting your manuscript printed by a local printer (check the Yellow Pages), and genuinely self-publishing. I think you'll be surprised by how reasonable self-publishing is compared to going the vanity/subsidy route.
Old 04-16-2007, 11:25 PM   #5
CaoPaux
Mostly Harmless
SuperModerator

CaoPaux is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsCaoPaux is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsCaoPaux is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsCaoPaux is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsCaoPaux is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsCaoPaux is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsCaoPaux is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsCaoPaux is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsCaoPaux is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsCaoPaux is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsCaoPaux is so great that we've run out of appropriate compliments
Just adding link: http://www.winepresspub.com/
I've never known any trouble that an hour's reading didn't assuage. -- Charles DeSecondat

2013: II2014:
CaoPaux is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-22-2010, 04:54 AM   #6
chuksa
New Fish; Learning About Thick Skin

chuksa is on a distinguished road
can any one tell me something about the Pleasant Word Publishers ( a division os Wine press publishers)?
chuksa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-22-2010, 05:32 AM   #7
Unimportant
but appreciated anyway...

Unimportant is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsUnimportant is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsUnimportant is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsUnimportant is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsUnimportant is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsUnimportant is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsUnimportant is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsUnimportant is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsUnimportant is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsUnimportant is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsUnimportant is so great that we've run out of appropriate compliments
Chuksa, if you check the Index, you'll see there's a thread on WinePress Publishing here. Is this the press you mean? (Their website is here)

They look to be an upfront vanity press: you pay, they publish and distribute your book. This may or may not be what you're looking to do.

Last edited by CaoPaux; 01-24-2010 at 02:47 AM. Reason: threads merged, link moot. thanks!
Unimportant is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-22-2010, 11:33 AM   #8
chuksa

Thanks,

WinePress Publishing is a commercial publishing or traditional from what I read from their website, but the PleasantWord Publishing which is one of their publishing company nothing has been said of it.

I want to know if it is a subsidy publishing or self publishing,

Chuksa
Old 01-22-2010, 11:59 AM   #9
HapiSofi
Hagiographically Advantaged
AW Moderator

HapiSofi is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsHapiSofi is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsHapiSofi is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsHapiSofi is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsHapiSofi is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsHapiSofi is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsHapiSofi is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsHapiSofi is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsHapiSofi is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsHapiSofi is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsHapiSofi is so great that we've run out of appropriate compliments
They're not evil, but I don't see anything particularly admirable about them either. They're not cheap. Their design is generic. Their marketing and publicity packages look like the usual list of useless and expensive services. Their contract leaves all the rights in the author's hands -- good thing, that.

Saying they're Christian means nothing.

Why not be picky and shop around? If subsidy publishing is what you really want, you're the one who's in control -- or rather, you are until you sign a contract.
Old 01-22-2010, 02:06 PM   #10
MickRooney
practical experience, FTW

MickRooney is well-respected
Chuksa,

There are certainly better options than Pleasant Word out there if you are looking at subsidity services to publish your book.

There are plenty of reviews of various services on my site here.
MickRooney is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-22-2010, 05:18 PM   #11
Momento Mori
Tired and Disillusioned

Momento Mori is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsMomento Mori is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsMomento Mori is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsMomento Mori is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsMomento Mori is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsMomento Mori is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsMomento Mori is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsMomento Mori is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsMomento Mori is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsMomento Mori is so great that we've run out of appropriate compliments
Website for PleasantWord Publishing is here. It looks like a straightforward vanity press that uses POD. It's upfront about its charges, which are pretty expensive - $999 being the cheapest package. There are statements in it's Q&A page that I'd take issue with.

It should be borne in mind that royalties are only paid on net, which is defined as follows:

Quote:
Pleasant Press Publishing:
The net profit is the actual sale price minus the publishing costs.

It is calculated by taking the price your book is sold for, and then deducting the printing cost and the package premium. A small fulfillment fee may also apply if Pleasant Word directly processes the sale.

e.g. For a 200 page Blue Ribbon book sold at the full retail price of $17.99 on the Pleasant Word on-line store, the author would receive a royalty of $9.20.

Wholesalers and on-line retailers normally require large discounts of up to 55% in order to stock your book
Given that you're paying for the package and it's a POD operation, I don't see how they can have any additional publishing costs that aren't already factored into the price.

There are statements about ownership of rights as well, which I disagree with - notably the idea that you're keeping full ownership rights when from the looks of it, you're ceding first publication rights to them.

MM
Momento Mori is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-22-2010, 07:19 PM   #12
chuksa

This is a good insight. I never thought of this. Thanks for that.
Old 01-22-2010, 11:58 PM   #13
Unimportant
but appreciated anyway...

Unimportant is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsUnimportant is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsUnimportant is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsUnimportant is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsUnimportant is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsUnimportant is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsUnimportant is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsUnimportant is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsUnimportant is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsUnimportant is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsUnimportant is so great that we've run out of appropriate compliments
Quote:
Originally Posted by chuksa View Post
Thanks,

WinePress Publishing is a commercial publishing or traditional from what I read from their website, but the PleasantWord Publishing which is one of their publishing company nothing has been said of it.

I want to know if it is a subsidy publishing or self publishing,

Chuksa
I can't see anything that suggests WinePress is a commercial press. Quite the opposite. They're very upfront about the fact that they are a vanity press.

Editing to add: We probably need a Moderator to split this off from the Aventine discussion into a separate WinePress/PleasantWord thread.

Last edited by Unimportant; 01-23-2010 at 12:00 AM.
Unimportant is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-2010, 02:29 AM   #14
HapiSofi
AW Moderator

HapiSofi is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsHapiSofi is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsHapiSofi is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsHapiSofi is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsHapiSofi is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsHapiSofi is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsHapiSofi is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsHapiSofi is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsHapiSofi is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsHapiSofi is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsHapiSofi is so great that we've run out of appropriate compliments
Mick Rooney, are you saying you're an expert on this subject?
Old 01-24-2010, 03:33 AM   #15
Deb Kinnard
They agreed: "just friends."

Deb Kinnard leaves trails of profuse coolnessDeb Kinnard leaves trails of profuse coolnessDeb Kinnard leaves trails of profuse coolnessDeb Kinnard leaves trails of profuse coolnessDeb Kinnard leaves trails of profuse coolness
OP, you might also want to check Thomas Nelson's new vanity/subsidy arm, WestBow. Not to be confused with the old WestBow which was a regular royalty paying publisher. They are now pay-to-play.
A QUIET KIND OF LOVE, indie coming soon for Kindle

An inspiration... ...I have a serious case of Grobanosis
Deb Kinnard is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-24-2010, 04:01 AM   #16
chuksa

Do you know about Westbow Publ?

Do you know about "Westbow" publishing company?
Old 01-24-2010, 04:02 AM   #17
DeadlyAccurate
Absolutely Fazed

DeadlyAccurate has a double-platinum reputationDeadlyAccurate has a double-platinum reputationDeadlyAccurate has a double-platinum reputationDeadlyAccurate has a double-platinum reputationDeadlyAccurate has a double-platinum reputationDeadlyAccurate has a double-platinum reputationDeadlyAccurate has a double-platinum reputation
Quote:
Originally Posted by Deb Kinnard View Post
OP, you might also want to check Thomas Nelson's new vanity/subsidy arm, WestBow. Not to be confused with the old WestBow which was a regular royalty paying publisher. They are now pay-to-play.
If they're going to use a sleazy, overpriced print mill, they might as well just go straight to AuthorHouse. That's what TN is using anyway, and at least this way they won't be paying a middleman.
DeadlyAccurate is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-24-2010, 04:02 AM   #18
chuksa

or rather how much do you know about them
Old 01-24-2010, 04:04 AM   #19
chuksa

someone has warmed against Authorhouse somewhere in the blog
Old 01-24-2010, 04:05 AM   #20
DeadlyAccurate
Absolutely Fazed

DeadlyAccurate has a double-platinum reputationDeadlyAccurate has a double-platinum reputationDeadlyAccurate has a double-platinum reputationDeadlyAccurate has a double-platinum reputationDeadlyAccurate has a double-platinum reputationDeadlyAccurate has a double-platinum reputationDeadlyAccurate has a double-platinum reputation
The Index stickied at the top of this page has a link to a thread for Thomas Nelson/Westbow. Each thread in this forum discusses only one publisher or agent.

Last edited by DeadlyAccurate; 01-24-2010 at 04:07 AM.
DeadlyAccurate is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-24-2010, 06:43 AM   #21
CAWriter
practical experience, FTW

CAWriter is on a distinguished road
I know the gals who run WinePress and have known a few people who have used them and ACW Press and were satisfied with the product.

ACW has changed hands since I was familiar with it, but I know that WinePress does put more into editing/proofing and layout than you would get if you went completely 'self-published.' This might help if you don't have great proof-reading or book layout skills.
CAWriter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-24-2010, 06:52 PM   #22
Carlene
New kid, be gentle!

Carlene is a shiny, shiny jewelCarlene is a shiny, shiny jewel
I agree with James here. My husband and I owned a small commercial printing company for 23 years and printed books for several people. We live in San Diego, a big military town, and had some retired military that simply wanted ten or 20 books to either sell to a specific market or give to relatives. We had an in-house graphic artists for cover design and set-up. We were able to run the pages off on the copier and only had to print the covers in color. The biggest expense was the perfect binding.

I think it would be worth the time to contact a few printers in your area. Just be sure they've actually printed books before! Ask for samples.

Carlene
Carlene is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-25-2010, 03:22 AM   #23
HapiSofi
AW Moderator

There's a lot to be said for a good local job printer that's been in the business for a long time.
Old 04-24-2011, 05:29 AM   #24
WillfromSF

WillfromSF is on a distinguished road
Mark Levine's The Fine Print of Self- Publishing 4th Edition is mostly a review of some 24 self-publishing services and he ranks WinePress Publishing in a class by itself - literally "The Worst". I don't know the details but they are now suing him for libel.
WillfromSF is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-28-2012, 07:02 AM   #25
CaoPaux
Mostly Harmless
SuperModerator

CaoPaux is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsCaoPaux is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsCaoPaux is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsCaoPaux is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsCaoPaux is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsCaoPaux is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsCaoPaux is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsCaoPaux is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsCaoPaux is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsCaoPaux is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsCaoPaux is so great that we've run out of appropriate compliments
Pleasant Word absorbed into WinePress early '11.

Oh, and they lost their suit v. Levine: http://docs.justia.com/cases/federal...593/159220/16/
I've never known any trouble that an hour's reading didn't assuage. -- Charles DeSecondat

2013: II2014:
CaoPaux is offline   Reply With Quote