Read Books By AWers!

Welcome to the AbsoluteWrite Water Cooler! Please read The Newbie Guide To Absolute Write

editing for authors ad

A publisher or agency using Google ads to solicit your novel probably isn't anyone you want to write for.

Go Back   Absolute Write Water Cooler > Pop Culture > Critical Theory and Philosophy of Language
Register FAQ Calendar Mark Forums Read

Old 03-23-2007, 05:47 AM   #1
Higgins
Banned

Higgins should run for PresidentHiggins should run for PresidentHiggins should run for PresidentHiggins should run for PresidentHiggins should run for PresidentHiggins should run for President
Wittgenstein: Aero-Pioneer

Christ! I get back to my theoretical home and some giganto thread about off-limits topics has been brought in like roadkill by a friendly cougar.

One thing is clear: ya get on a nice board and everybody likes to dance around transgressing their hearts out:

Is this transgressing? Do I look good with this transgression? Or would a dab of pure mental emotion of some sort be better? How about the pure shock value of something a little more tart? How about a dash of ideological something or other? Take it right to the limit: very cute with a flounce of depravity.

And to think I actually bothered puzzling over L. Wittgenstein. I did find quite a gem though: Wittgenstein Flies a Kite, by Susan G. Sterrett, NY 2006. This marvelous book describes Wittgenstein's early obsession with being a pioneering aviator, particularly in the field of kites.

And the very interesting question is: is there one? You know, I'm a trangressor too. I just never am sure what it is that I'm transgressing.
What are the scandalous limits in the case of references to Wittgenstein's aeronautical career? They are there, man. I'm crossing them right now. How do I look? Depraved? Damn-you-ram-you? Knave-ish?
Higgins is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-23-2007, 05:57 AM   #2
Meerkat
Claims the loan was a gift

Meerkat is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsMeerkat is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsMeerkat is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsMeerkat is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsMeerkat is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsMeerkat is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsMeerkat is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsMeerkat is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsMeerkat is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsMeerkat is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsMeerkat is so great that we've run out of appropriate compliments
Those are fighting words, darn you! Fortunately, it will be impossible to choose sides....

quick, everyone buy these books:

Jade Rabbit
Zen Scorpions
Boilerplate-Reich
Meerkat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-23-2007, 05:58 AM   #3
robeiae
AW's Foremost Intellectual (AWFI)

robeiae is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsrobeiae is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsrobeiae is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsrobeiae is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsrobeiae is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsrobeiae is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsrobeiae is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsrobeiae is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsrobeiae is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsrobeiae is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsrobeiae is so great that we've run out of appropriate compliments
Put down that damn poker!

Learning to run, T'ai Chi style--blogging about running and Eastern philosophy
Ponds of Happenstance--blogging about politics, economics, and history
Sailor on the Ponds--tweeting about everything

The Internet doesn't serve enough crow

Breathing during a run: find your center and run from within
More on the Altra Zero Drop shoe
robeiae is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-23-2007, 06:01 AM   #4
Dawno
I Haz Most Wonderful Daughter EVAR
SuperModerator

Dawno is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsDawno is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsDawno is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsDawno is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsDawno is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsDawno is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsDawno is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsDawno is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsDawno is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsDawno is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsDawno is so great that we've run out of appropriate compliments
One of these days you'll post something that I understand and can discuss with you - and I'll be thrilled, because I love a good discussion. Since I have no clue what you're talking about here, I'm going to post a kitten picture.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg peekingpumpkinLJ.jpg (3.9 KB, 46 views)
Dawno is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-23-2007, 06:04 AM   #5
robeiae
AW's Foremost Intellectual (AWFI)

robeiae is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsrobeiae is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsrobeiae is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsrobeiae is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsrobeiae is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsrobeiae is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsrobeiae is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsrobeiae is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsrobeiae is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsrobeiae is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsrobeiae is so great that we've run out of appropriate compliments
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dawno View Post
One of these days you'll post something that I understand and can discuss with you - and I'll be thrilled, because I love a good discussion. Since I have no clue what you're talking about here, I'm going to post a kitten picture.
Read this, Dawno. You'll enjoy it--I promise.

Learning to run, T'ai Chi style--blogging about running and Eastern philosophy
Ponds of Happenstance--blogging about politics, economics, and history
Sailor on the Ponds--tweeting about everything

The Internet doesn't serve enough crow

Breathing during a run: find your center and run from within
More on the Altra Zero Drop shoe
robeiae is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-23-2007, 06:10 AM   #6
Dawno
SuperModerator

Dawno is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsDawno is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsDawno is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsDawno is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsDawno is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsDawno is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsDawno is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsDawno is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsDawno is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsDawno is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsDawno is so great that we've run out of appropriate compliments
I shall purchase it immediately, rob.
Old 03-23-2007, 06:38 AM   #7
Higgins
Banned

Higgins should run for PresidentHiggins should run for PresidentHiggins should run for PresidentHiggins should run for PresidentHiggins should run for PresidentHiggins should run for President
Wittgenstein

Quote:

Wittgenstein is kind of a mystical analytic philosopher and a friend of Bertrand Russell's. I'm not sure exactly how he became the totally Iconic mystical philosopher of our day, but he is an interesting read. I started with the Tractatus

http://www.voidspace.org.uk/psycholo...ractatus.shtml

And once, long ago, I also read some other stuff of his. He is quite influential, but a bit inscrutable. I enjoy reading him and the editions of his work can be beautiful things in a minimalist scholarly way. I just was looking at a facing translation of a typescript of his. It was a wonder to behold.
Old 03-23-2007, 06:55 AM   #8
Meerkat

Meerkat is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsMeerkat is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsMeerkat is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsMeerkat is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsMeerkat is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsMeerkat is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsMeerkat is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsMeerkat is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsMeerkat is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsMeerkat is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsMeerkat is so great that we've run out of appropriate compliments
So the insults just keep coming, do they? Fine, then THROW down the gauntlet. Who's with me? Everyone on the "Russell's Teapot side that the burden of proof lies upon the sceptic" form up in, oh how about the "Say the First Word that Comes to Mind" thread, and everybody on the "Tractatus side/meaning as representation" camp marshal your weapons over in, let's see, Werri, will you allow the use of "Hey, Dork" for a staging area?

Choose up sides people! We will KICK THEIR ASS over this!

Jade Rabbit
Zen Scorpions
Boilerplate-Reich
Old 03-23-2007, 06:59 AM   #9
Dawno
SuperModerator

Ok, Sokal - I get that part. But what sort of a discussion are you attempting to start? One about transgressions? or kites? or mystical analytic philosophy?

I know I'm not the sharpest crayon in the box here, but I still don't get it.
Old 03-23-2007, 07:02 AM   #10
Higgins
Banned

Die Welt ist alle, was der fall ist.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Meerkat View Post
So the insults just keep coming, do they? Fine, then THROW down the gauntlet. Who's with me? Everyone on the "Russell's Teapot side that the burden of proof lies upon the sceptic" form up in, oh how about the "Say the First Word that Comes to Mind" thread, and everybody on the "Tractatus side/meaning as representation" camp marshal your weapons over in, let's see, Werri, will you allow the use of "Hey, Dork" for a staging area?

Choose up sides people! We will KICK THEIR ASS over this!
Oh Donner....I mean on Donner, party, eat Blitzen essen und fressesn und zeinfg digesten...THE MOON ON THE BREAST OF THE NEW_FALLEN SNOW

Ha ha...said "Breast"...fooled you. Or maybe, just maybe you saw that coming...ha ha said "coming"...wow this is easy....ha...easy
Old 03-23-2007, 07:07 AM   #11
Higgins
Banned

Oh dear this is my fault

Quote:
Ok, Sokal - I get that part. But what sort of a discussion are you attempting to start? One about transgressions? or kites? or mystical analytic philosophy?

I know I'm not the sharpest crayon in the box here, but I still don't get it.
Sorry this is my unfortunate posting style. I wasn't really doing anything very constructive: just amusing myself by juxtaposing the odd juxtapositioning of Wittgenstein (who came up very well in the "Is there Any Subject..." thread after Robiae very correctly brought up Quine's critiques of positivism) and his early aeronautical career with the gigantic thread on transgression/limits...whatever...sorry....I just didn't think much about how anyone would be able to follow that juxtapositioning with a coherent discussion. Purely me....not the fault of your sharpness or crayon box.

And for that matter "mystical analytic" is kind of an odd juxtapositioning too................

Last edited by Higgins; 03-23-2007 at 07:44 AM.
Old 03-23-2007, 07:09 AM   #12
Dawno
SuperModerator

Okie dokie. A scholarly non sequitur thread. Works for me.
Old 03-23-2007, 07:12 AM   #13
Meerkat

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sokal View Post
Oh Donner....I mean on Donner, party, eat Blitzen essen und fressesn und zeinfg digesten...THE MOON ON THE BREAST OF THE NEW_FALLEN SNOW

Ha ha...said "Breast"...fooled you. Or maybe, just maybe you saw that coming...ha ha said "coming"...wow this is easy....ha...easy
My give up! My give up!

Touche, my nemesis! So tomorrow's headlines will read "Sokal beats force marshalled by a walnut-brained meerkat." Or something with more abbreviations. A hollow victory. And when my exile is over, and my friends back me up as never before (not at all before, in fact), then....then perhaps we'll see....

Jade Rabbit
Zen Scorpions
Boilerplate-Reich
Old 03-23-2007, 07:14 AM   #14
Dawno
SuperModerator

"Waiter, I'll have two of whatever that Meerkat is drinking, please!"
Old 03-23-2007, 08:55 AM   #15
ColoradoGuy
I've seen worse.
SuperModerator

ColoradoGuy is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsColoradoGuy is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsColoradoGuy is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsColoradoGuy is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsColoradoGuy is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsColoradoGuy is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsColoradoGuy is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsColoradoGuy is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsColoradoGuy is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsColoradoGuy is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsColoradoGuy is so great that we've run out of appropriate compliments
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sokal View Post
Sorry this is my unfortunate posting style. I wasn't really doing anything very constructive: just amusing myself by juxtaposing the odd juxtapositioning of Wittgenstein (who came up very well in the "Is there Any Subject..." thread after Robiae very correctly brought up Quine's critiques of positivism) and his early aeronautical career with the gigantic thread on transgression/limits...whatever...sorry....I just didn't think much about how anyone would be able to follow that juxtapositioning with a coherent discussion. Purely me....not the fault of your sharpness or crayon box.

And for that matter "mystical analytic" is kind of an odd juxtapositioning too................
It is difficult to understand a conversation apparently taking place within the mind of the poster.

My books, website, and blog
ColoradoGuy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-23-2007, 07:33 PM   #16
Higgins
Banned

Juxtaposing

Quote:
Okie dokie. A scholarly non sequitur thread. Works for me.
I was hoping for an effect that was a little more engaging than just some non-sequiturs. For example, I didn't invent L. Wittgenstein's interest in flying kites when kites were still at the cutting edge of aerodynamic invention.

http://us.penguingroup.com/nf/Book/B...0.html?sym=EXC

As usual, I apparently overestimated the comic potential of my "insight" (or where I would have thought I might have had some insight)...and trusted too much to (what seemed to me to be) the naturally comic side of suggesting Wittgenstein's kite-flying
was just as scandalous a topic as the titanic, intimate, yet gigantic never-ending search for scandalous topics...not (God forbid) that anyone would really want to expostulate freely on some scandalous topic and not that (who can imagine? such a thing?) the world is not stuffed to overflowing already with scandalous topics. Why the very subject of scandalous topics is....well....almost too scandalous to be a topic at all.

But...I forgot at least two conventions (metalinguistic ones, maybe):
1) Wittgenstein was an "academic" and not a human being like the rest of us and so his experiences must be totally irrelevent to us
2) Kite-flying is all-too-clearly about as non-scandalous as it it possible for a human activity to be

Now if I'd said "James Joyce and E. Hemmingway wanted to design propellors together"...these two giants of literature, with their completely human credentials as bona fide non-academics...well you can imagine the fully human humanity of the scandal of their prop design plans. And just think how much richer their experiences must be than those of say, Wittgenstein. And the richer the experience, the riper the scandal.

Last edited by Higgins; 03-23-2007 at 08:46 PM. Reason: trying to spell metalinguistic and count to twp