Read Books By AWers!

Welcome to the AbsoluteWrite Water Cooler! Please read The Newbie Guide To Absolute Write

editing for authors ad

A publisher or agency using Google ads to solicit your novel probably isn't anyone you want to write for.

Go Back   Absolute Write Water Cooler > Discussion > Grammar and Syntax
Register FAQ Calendar Mark Forums Read

Old 12-03-2006, 12:27 AM   #1
billyf027
practical experience, FTW

billyf027 is on a distinguished road
Thoughts, are they italized or not?

A publication I saw stated that thoughts should be italizied. Most books don't italize thoughts. Any thoughts on the subject?
billyf027 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-03-2006, 12:36 AM   #2
Sandi LeFaucheur

Sandi LeFaucheur is a shiny, shiny jewelSandi LeFaucheur is a shiny, shiny jewel
I italicize them. Saves having to put "I thought" after them. (Mind, I have a tendency to write in the first person.)

If I was writing third person omniscient, I don't think I'd italicize. I think I'd just add "he thought" "she thought".
Sandi LeFaucheur is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-03-2006, 12:36 AM   #3
anavicenteferreira
New Fish; Learning About Thick Skin

anavicenteferreira is on a distinguished road
I italicize thoughts in most occasions, but when I'm writing in a POV that has a very short psychic distance I'll sometimes just integrate things like "This couldn't be happening!" or "Where was it?" into the narration, without any special markings, even if they are technically character thoughts.
anavicenteferreira is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-03-2006, 12:41 AM   #4
Duncan J Macdonald
And now, back to Plotting!

Duncan J Macdonald has a double-platinum reputationDuncan J Macdonald has a double-platinum reputationDuncan J Macdonald has a double-platinum reputationDuncan J Macdonald has a double-platinum reputationDuncan J Macdonald has a double-platinum reputationDuncan J Macdonald has a double-platinum reputationDuncan J Macdonald has a double-platinum reputation
Quote:
Originally Posted by billyf027
A publication I saw stated that thoughts should be italizied. Most books don't italize thoughts. Any thoughts on the subject?
Let me check ...
<Thinks to self:> Self? Do you think in italics?
<Self responds:> Yes.
Yup.

Honestly though, italics are the easiest way to indicate a character's thoughts as dialogue separate from the narrator's describing them.
Hamster #164
Duncan J Macdonald is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-03-2006, 12:49 AM   #5
Jamesaritchie
resident curmudgeon

Jamesaritchie is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsJamesaritchie is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsJamesaritchie is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsJamesaritchie is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsJamesaritchie is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsJamesaritchie is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsJamesaritchie is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsJamesaritchie is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsJamesaritchie is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsJamesaritchie is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsJamesaritchie is so great that we've run out of appropriate compliments
Quote:
Just about every novel I've read italicizes thoughts. But you have to realize that thoughts come in two flavors. One really isn't a direct thought at all, and this is the most commont type. "He thought he might go to the mall later."

Italiziced thoughts are direct thoughts, and are important. If they aren't important enough to deserve italics, which are there for emphasis, they shouldn't be direct thoughts at all. My God, he thought, Lisa is the killer.
Jamesaritchie is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 12-03-2006, 01:03 AM   #6
Julie Worth
What? I have a title?

Julie Worth is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsJulie Worth is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsJulie Worth is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsJulie Worth is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsJulie Worth is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsJulie Worth is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsJulie Worth is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsJulie Worth is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsJulie Worth is so great that we've run out of appropriate compliments
Italics is a spice, don’t over do it. Generally, you wouldn’t use italics and thought tags. You can dispense with both so long as it’s clear:

Was he crazy? No, no way. She’d actually said it. Unbelievable!

In this case, you’re paraphrasing his thoughts, and the opening question indicates it's a thought.

Last edited by Julie Worth; 12-03-2006 at 01:06 AM.
Julie Worth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-03-2006, 01:52 AM   #7
Jamesaritchie
resident curmudgeon

Jamesaritchie is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsJamesaritchie is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsJamesaritchie is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsJamesaritchie is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsJamesaritchie is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsJamesaritchie is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsJamesaritchie is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsJamesaritchie is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsJamesaritchie is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsJamesaritchie is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsJamesaritchie is so great that we've run out of appropriate compliments
Quote:
Originally Posted by Julie Worth
Italics is a spice, don’t over do it. Generally, you wouldn’t use italics and thought tags. You can dispense with both so long as it’s clear:

Was he crazy? No, no way. She’d actually said it. Unbelievable!

In this case, you’re paraphrasing his thoughts, and the opening question indicates it's a thought.
With an important thought, I generally do use italics and a tag. You wouldn't do so every time, but sometimes it's definitely the best way to go. "Was he crazy?" may indicate it's a thought, and but it may also not be understood this way by the average reader, at least not quick enough to avoid confusion.

Tags are also there for another reason, and that's timing. In fact, one of the prime uses of a tag is to change the rhythm of a sentence, to make the reader pause at the right spot, or to simply draw out the critical ending of the sentence. This can be highly important, and can make all the difference in how well a sentence reads, and the impact it has on a reader.

Last edited by Jamesaritchie; 12-03-2006 at 02:21 AM.
Jamesaritchie is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 12-03-2006, 03:00 AM   #8
J. Weiland
Lurker

J. Weiland is a glorious beacon of lightJ. Weiland is a glorious beacon of lightJ. Weiland is a glorious beacon of light
S.M. Stirling uses italics for thoughts quite effectively. I'm reading Dies the Fire at the moment.

Plot is a verb.
~ Ansen Dibell
J. Weiland is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-03-2006, 09:46 AM   #9
Sean D. Schaffer

Sean D. Schaffer is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsSean D. Schaffer is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsSean D. Schaffer is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsSean D. Schaffer is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsSean D. Schaffer is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsSean D. Schaffer is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsSean D. Schaffer is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsSean D. Schaffer is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsSean D. Schaffer is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsSean D. Schaffer is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsSean D. Schaffer is so great that we've run out of appropriate compliments
Quote:

Most books that I've read italicize thoughts. However, a few books I've read have put single quotes at each end of a thought and called it good that way.

Are you submitting your work to the publication you mentioned? If so, you should most certainly follow their submission requirements, regardless of how other companies work.

I hope this helps, and good luck to you.
Sean D. Schaffer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-03-2006, 09:54 AM   #10
Scarlett_156
asdf

Scarlett_156 has a spectacular aura
*thinks* pfft! amatuers!

Yours in Chaos...
Scarlett_156 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-03-2006, 07:38 PM   #11
Maryn
You, too?
AW Moderator

Maryn is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsMaryn is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsMaryn is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsMaryn is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsMaryn is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsMaryn is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsMaryn is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsMaryn is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsMaryn is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsMaryn is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsMaryn is so great that we've run out of appropriate compliments
Somebody's got to take the con position or we don't have a debate team.

If you're writing in first person POV, how can you distinguish narration from thought? First person also means you don't need thought tags.

Compare
Quote:
I trailed James into the powder room. He scowled at his reflection until I reached over his wide shoulders to snug his tie against his collar. Thank you, high heels, I thought. I ran my nails through the shock of blond hair that threatened to fall onto his forehead, and he smiled at my reflection before turning around.
with
Quote:
I trailed James into the powder room. He scowled at his reflection until I reached over his wide shoulders to snug his tie against his collar. Thank you, high heels. I ran my nails through the shock of blond hair that threatened to fall onto his forehead, and he smiled at my reflection before turning around.
and with
Quote:
I trailed James into the powder room. He scowled at his reflection until I reached over his wide shoulders to snug his tie against his collar. Thank you, high heels. I ran my nails through the shock of blond hair that threatened to fall onto his forehead, and he smiled at my reflection before turning around.
Not deathless prose, but I don't believe the tag or the italics add a thing.

Maryn, disagreeable cuss