Read Books By AWers!

Welcome to the AbsoluteWrite Water Cooler! Please read The Newbie Guide To Absolute Write

editing for authors ad

A publisher or agency using Google ads to solicit your novel probably isn't anyone you want to write for.

Go Back   Absolute Write Water Cooler > Discussion > Bewares, Recommendations & Background Check
Register FAQ Calendar Mark Forums Read

Old 11-07-2006, 03:49 PM   #1
Grampa Joe
New Fish; Learning About Thick Skin

Grampa Joe is on a distinguished road
Laura Langlie Agency

Anyone work with this agency? P&E shows $. Can't find her name doing a search of this forum. Also, agency doesn't appear to have a website.
Grampa Joe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-07-2006, 04:18 PM   #2
BarbaraSheridan
*insert catchy phrase here*

BarbaraSheridan has a spectacular auraBarbaraSheridan has a spectacular aura
I've not worked with her but I'm familiar with the name. She has quite a number of deals posted on Publishers Marketplace and is listed as Meg Cabot's agent. The projects sold are in the following areas--

Fiction: Mystery/Crime ; Children's; Fiction: General/Other; Young Adult ;Women's/Romance; Film rights; Non-fiction; Television rights

BarbaraSheridan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-07-2006, 04:31 PM   #3
Mike Coombes
Guru

Mike Coombes is well-respected
Laura Langlie is, I believe, Meg Cabot's agent.
Old 11-07-2006, 06:24 PM   #4
BarbaraSheridan
*insert catchy phrase here*

BarbaraSheridan has a spectacular auraBarbaraSheridan has a spectacular aura
Give's Mike a friendly

I already said that.

BarbaraSheridan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-01-2007, 12:11 AM   #5
Prawn
Writing is finite,revising infinite

Prawn has a golden reputationPrawn has a golden reputationPrawn has a golden reputationPrawn has a golden reputationPrawn has a golden reputationPrawn has a golden reputation
No news might be some news for someone: I e-mailed Laura my query at 11:50, she e-mailed back at 2:23 saying my project wasn't right for her. Pretty fast turn around time, I'd say.
Old 06-02-2007, 03:32 AM   #6
JeanneTGC
I *am* Catwoman...and Gini Koch
WPR Dominatrix

JeanneTGC is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsJeanneTGC is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsJeanneTGC is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsJeanneTGC is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsJeanneTGC is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsJeanneTGC is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsJeanneTGC is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsJeanneTGC is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsJeanneTGC is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsJeanneTGC is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsJeanneTGC is so great that we've run out of appropriate compliments
She's definitely legit. A friend's friend has Langlie as his agent, and he praises her all the time. I sent her a query, got a polite form rejection in less than two weeks.

Action, Adventure, Romance & Humor
Coming December 2, 2014, Universal Alien -- Preorder NOW!

--Click the covers to go to my website for details & more!

Submit your poetry, humor & shorts to Raphael's Village!
JeanneTGC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-15-2007, 03:20 AM   #7
Provrb1810meggy
practical experience, FTW

Provrb1810meggy should run for PresidentProvrb1810meggy should run for PresidentProvrb1810meggy should run for PresidentProvrb1810meggy should run for PresidentProvrb1810meggy should run for PresidentProvrb1810meggy should run for President
Has anybody found YA writers that are represented by Laura Langlie besides Meg Cabot?
Old 06-15-2007, 04:20 AM   #8
Prickly Pear

Prickly Pear is on a distinguished road
I've heard she's generally quick, but she's had my full for several months. I've pretty much assumed rejection and moved on.

Back when I was researching her, I got the impression she has a fairly eclectic list.
Prickly Pear is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-15-2007, 07:09 AM   #9
reenkam
aka cupcake

reenkam is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsreenkam is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsreenkam is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsreenkam is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsreenkam is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsreenkam is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsreenkam is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsreenkam is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsreenkam is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsreenkam is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsreenkam is so great that we've run out of appropriate compliments
Query rejection in 4 minutes....

it was kind of exciting, actually. So fast...
Old 06-15-2007, 07:58 AM   #10
JamieFord
giving resonant directions

JamieFord has earned our admirationJamieFord has earned our admirationJamieFord has earned our admirationJamieFord has earned our admiration
She requested the full and ultimately passed but got back to me right away. I thought she was great...

Hotel on the Corner of Bitter and Sweet
, a New York Times Bestseller. Or a handy paperweight.
www.jamieford.com @jamieford
JamieFord is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-15-2007, 02:57 PM   #11
Saundra Julian
A work in progress

Saundra Julian is better than ice cream with hot fudgeSaundra Julian is better than ice cream with hot fudgeSaundra Julian is better than ice cream with hot fudgeSaundra Julian is better than ice cream with hot fudgeSaundra Julian is better than ice cream with hot fudgeSaundra Julian is better than ice cream with hot fudgeSaundra Julian is better than ice cream with hot fudge
Link anyone?
Thanks!
Saundra Julian is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-15-2007, 08:50 PM   #12
Toni1953

Toni1953 is a glorious beacon of lightToni1953 is a glorious beacon of lightToni1953 is a glorious beacon of light
She rejected me quickly as well. I found her email addy through Agent Query
Coming 2014 from Berkley Prime Crime: MEOW IF ITS MURDER
The First Nick & Nora Mystery!
Toni1953 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-15-2007, 10:58 PM   #13
batgirl
Writting broad

batgirl has earned our admirationbatgirl has earned our admirationbatgirl has earned our admirationbatgirl has earned our admiration
A snippet on Mediabistro:
Name:Laura Langlie, literary agent
Number of agents: One
Number of clients: 35
Notable clients: Jessica Benson, Meg Cabot, Mignon F. Ballard, Joan Druett, Jack El-Hai, Sarah Elliott, Melanie Lynne Hauser, Robin Hathaway, Mary Hogan, Lauren Lipton, Leslie Margolis, Jonathan Neale, Delia Ray, Cheryl L. Reed, and Jennifer Sturman.
Amount of unsolicited material accepted: 5 percent
Fiction vs. nonfiction: 75 percent fiction, 25 percent nonfiction

-Barbara

batgirl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-24-2007, 06:24 PM   #14
Provrb1810meggy

Provrb1810meggy should run for PresidentProvrb1810meggy should run for PresidentProvrb1810meggy should run for PresidentProvrb1810meggy should run for PresidentProvrb1810meggy should run for PresidentProvrb1810meggy should run for President
My full has been with her for over two months. Anyone know her average response time for fulls, and does anyone have any suggestions on when I should status query? I want to make sure she got it.
Old 08-25-2007, 01:29 AM   #15
Julie Worth
What? I have a title?

Julie Worth is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsJulie Worth is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsJulie Worth is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsJulie Worth is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsJulie Worth is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsJulie Worth is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsJulie Worth is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsJulie Worth is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsJulie Worth is so great that we've run out of appropriate compliments
Quote:
Originally Posted by Provrb1810meggy View Post
My full has been with her for over two months. Anyone know her average response time for fulls, and does anyone have any suggestions on when I should status query? I want to make sure she got it.

You should always send requested material with delivery confirmation.
Julie Worth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-28-2007, 03:52 AM   #16
Provrb1810meggy

It's a little too late for delivery confirmation now, though. It's been over two months, but then again, it's the summer. I should probably wait until September.
Old 08-28-2007, 11:31 PM   #17
lkp

lkp has earned our admirationlkp has earned our admirationlkp has earned our admirationlkp has earned our admiration
Delivery confirmation will tell you it got to the mailroom. It might not even be the agency mailroom; it might be the building mailroom. It won't tell you it reached the agent's desk. I'm not sure it's worth the money.

Hope you'll hear good news soon prvb! I am in that whole "are they slow because it is summer, or because they decided they hate it so much they can't bear to tell me hw awful it is" mode too and it is not pleasant.
Old 01-22-2008, 02:10 PM   #18
ExposingCorruption
AW Addict

ExposingCorruption is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by lkp View Post
Delivery confirmation will tell you it got to the mailroom. It might not even be the agency mailroom; it might be the building mailroom. It won't tell you it reached the agent's desk. I'm not sure it's worth the money.
Writersmarket.com has her address as 239 Carroll St. "Garden Apartment," Brooklyn, NY 11231. Agentquery.com states that her "old address" is 275 President Street, "Apt. 3," Brooklyn, NY 11231.

I don't think that there is an "agency mailroom" or a "building mailroom."

Last edited by ExposingCorruption; 01-28-2008 at 10:15 AM.
ExposingCorruption is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-30-2008, 04:13 AM   #19
LoisLane

LoisLane is on a distinguished road
Talking Laura Langlie

*claps* Ms. Langlie has requested a partial of my ms. I'm so excited that I needed to tell somebody and as I am alone in my pre/post-Communism bedroom in Praha, I decided to post it here.

I equeried her two days ago and she just emailed from a book fair in Italy telling me when to send it. I reworked my query this week (with the help of the folks at AQ--I just signed up here) and this has made all the frustration worthwhile. It's just a partial but I must celebrate the baby steps because it will lead to running, jumping and leaping!! YAY!

"Once you choose hope, anything is possible." ~~ Superman, Christopher Reeve

CHILD SUPPORT: 82K+: Querying, querying, querying, 2 partials, 1 full and passes like a Superbowl football
WIP: NEWSROOM: OUTLINE
WIP: FINDING MY FUTURE: 1,000 and counting

LoisLane's Metropolis --opinion blog about current events
LoisLane is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-30-2008, 04:36 AM   #20
Appalachian Writer
Somewhere in the hills....

Appalachian Writer is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsAppalachian Writer is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsAppalachian Writer is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsAppalachian Writer is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsAppalachian Writer is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsAppalachian Writer is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsAppalachian Writer is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsAppalachian Writer is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsAppalachian Writer is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsAppalachian Writer is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsAppalachian Writer is so great that we've run out of appropriate compliments
Quote:
Originally Posted by LoisLane View Post
*claps* Ms. Langlie has requested a partial of my ms. I'm so excited that I needed to tell somebody and as I am alone in my pre/post-Communism bedroom in Praha, I decided to post it here.

I equeried her two days ago and she just emailed from a book fair in Italy telling me when to send it. I reworked my query this week (with the help of the folks at AQ--I just signed up here) and this has made all the frustration worthwhile. It's just a partial but I must celebrate the baby steps because it will lead to running, jumping and leaping!! YAY!
Many congratulations! I'll say a prayer that she loves your work and asks for a full in short order!

http://wkeverhart.blogspot.com
http://raphaelsvillage.com/
working revisions:
book 1...now at 97,702 complete! finished.
book 2...now at 40,551
Appalachian Writer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-30-2008, 05:47 AM   #21
LoisLane

Quote:
Originally Posted by Appalachian Writer View Post
Many congratulations! I'll say a prayer that she loves your work and asks for a full in short order!
Thank you. From your lips to God's ears, right? I can't tell you how seeing your GWTW reference cheered me up today. Thanks.

CHILD SUPPORT: 82K+: Querying, querying, querying, 2 partials, 1 full and passes like a Superbowl football

Old 03-30-2008, 07:31 AM   #22
Richard White
Writer Beware's Faithful Igor

Richard White should run for PresidentRichard White should run for PresidentRichard White should run for PresidentRichard White should run for PresidentRichard White should run for PresidentRichard White should run for President
Dobre' den. Jak se mas?

Congrats on getting the partial request and here's hoping for the best!

(Typing Czech would be a lot easier if the hacek was available on the keyboard. *grin*)
Richard White is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-30-2008, 03:59 PM   #23
LoisLane

Quote:
Originally Posted by Richard White View Post
Dobre' den. Jak se mas?

Congrats on getting the partial request and here's hoping for the best!

(Typing Czech would be a lot easier if the hacek was available on the keyboard. *grin*)
HAHAHA! Dobre' den! Dejukie (I can't spell it but you know what I am trying to say, I think. LOL.) I am uber excited bc I did just change my query letter based on some critiquing from other sites and am happy with the result so far. Now comes the pins and needles part.

Old 03-31-2008, 01:53 AM   #24
TrishD

TrishD has earned our admirationTrishD has earned our admirationTrishD has earned our admirationTrishD has earned our admiration
Laura Langlie is notorious for very fast rejections (mine was 27 minutes from when I hit the send button) so getting a partial request? Well done!!
Old 03-31-2008, 02:38 AM   #25
LoisLane

Quote:
Originally Posted by TrishD View Post
Laura Langlie is notorious for very fast rejections (mine was 27 minutes from when I hit the send button) so getting a partial request? Well done!!
Well, if I did anything right, it's the first time in a long time. LOL. Thanks, though. I don't know if it's standard but she mentioned she was looking forward to reading my work, so I'm floating on that too, even if she does say it to everyone. I'm new here, so while others have surely congratulated you I haven't...kudos on your 2009 release! YAY! How grand!