Read Books By AWers!

Welcome to the AbsoluteWrite Water Cooler! Please read The Newbie Guide To Absolute Write

editing for authors ad

A publisher or agency using Google ads to solicit your novel probably isn't anyone you want to write for.

Go Back   Absolute Write Water Cooler > Discussion > Grammar and Syntax
Register FAQ Calendar Mark Forums Read

Old 09-22-2006, 08:26 PM   #1
DeadlyAccurate
Absolutely Fazed

DeadlyAccurate has a double-platinum reputationDeadlyAccurate has a double-platinum reputationDeadlyAccurate has a double-platinum reputationDeadlyAccurate has a double-platinum reputationDeadlyAccurate has a double-platinum reputationDeadlyAccurate has a double-platinum reputationDeadlyAccurate has a double-platinum reputation
Is it stepdad, step-dad, or step dad?

Like the subject line says: stepdad, step-dad, or step dad? Neither dictionary.com nor m-w.com come up with an answer. Word doesn't like stepdad, but I can't tell if that means step-dad is the correct answer, or if it's just one of those cases where two complete words separated by a hyphen doesn't register on the spellchecker.
DeadlyAccurate is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-22-2006, 08:43 PM   #2
pash
Banned

pash is on a distinguished road
Stepdad (from stepfather) is fine.

Word doesn't like it because it's colloquial/informal.
pash is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-24-2006, 08:54 AM   #3
Mandy-Jane
venturing ever further into the unknown

Mandy-Jane is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsMandy-Jane is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsMandy-Jane is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsMandy-Jane is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsMandy-Jane is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsMandy-Jane is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsMandy-Jane is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsMandy-Jane is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsMandy-Jane is so great that we've run out of appropriate compliments
I agree with pash. But I also think step-dad would be okay too. After all, it is two words joined together.

Mandy-Jane is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-24-2006, 10:58 AM   #4
pash
Banned

pash is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mandy-Jane
I agree with pash. But I also think step-dad would be okay too. After all, it is two words joined together.
But it's been around for an awful long time. Such compounds normally lose the hyphen after long-term use, don't they?
pash is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-24-2006, 11:05 AM   #5
Mandy-Jane
venturing ever further into the unknown

Mandy-Jane is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsMandy-Jane is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsMandy-Jane is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsMandy-Jane is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsMandy-Jane is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsMandy-Jane is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsMandy-Jane is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsMandy-Jane is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsMandy-Jane is so great that we've run out of appropriate compliments
Do they? I really don't know. I just think both ways look okay. And I've seen it written both ways. You may be right.

Mandy-Jane is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-24-2006, 11:50 AM   #6
September skies
cloud watching

September skies is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsSeptember skies is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsSeptember skies is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsSeptember skies is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsSeptember skies is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsSeptember skies is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsSeptember skies is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsSeptember skies is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsSeptember skies is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsSeptember skies is so great that we've run out of appropriate compliments
In the AP Stylebook, it is stepdad (well, they mention stepfather)
September skies is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-24-2006, 01:02 PM   #7
newmod
practical experience, FTW

newmod is on a distinguished road
According to Collins you can use both, although they list it with the spelling "stepfather".
newmod is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-24-2006, 08:09 PM   #8
Medievalist
Cultus Gopherus MacAllister
SuperModerator

Medievalist is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsMedievalist is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsMedievalist is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsMedievalist is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsMedievalist is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsMedievalist is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsMedievalist is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsMedievalist is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsMedievalist is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsMedievalist is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsMedievalist is so great that we've run out of appropriate compliments
On hypenation isn general, this is a style-sheet issue, more often than not; in other words, it's a matter of usage and not one of grammar.

Pick a dictionary and use what it uses; the publisher, if the editor sees fit, will change it if they have a different preference.

Stepdad/step-dad/step dad is not standard usage; I can't even find it in the Blessed American Heritage. Stepfather, however, is.

So I'd suggest just picking one, and being careful to use the same one all the time; standardization in such cases makes editors happy, even if you pick the "wrong" one to standarize on, since it's easily changed.

Stepdad

AW Admin
About.Me
AWers On Twitter
Lisa L. Spangenberg
My opinions are my own. | Who else would want them?

Last edited by Medievalist; 09-26-2006 at 05:18 AM.
Medievalist is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-26-2006, 04:57 AM   #9
DeadlyAccurate
Absolutely Fazed

DeadlyAccurate has a double-platinum reputationDeadlyAccurate has a double-platinum reputationDeadlyAccurate has a double-platinum reputationDeadlyAccurate has a double-platinum reputationDeadlyAccurate has a double-platinum reputationDeadlyAccurate has a double-platinum reputationDeadlyAccurate has a double-platinum reputation
Just a quick thanks to everyone for your responses. I went with "stepdad."
DeadlyAccurate is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-26-2006, 02:56 PM   #10
Declan
New Fish; Learning About Thick Skin

Declan is on a distinguished road
Howdy,

If it was my mother, it would be..."say hello to your new uncle..."

Dec.
Declan is offline   Reply With Quote