• Guest please check The Index before starting a thread.

Cedar Hill Press / ReadMyWords.com

NicoleJLeBoeuf

a work in progress
VPX
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.nicolejleboeuf.com
Hello all. I just received some unsolicited email today (at my NaNoWriMo Municipal Liaison email address) from ReadMyWords.com about a contest they'll be having. ReadMyWords.com is a division of Cedar Hill Press. I followed the link, and the submission guidelines don't ring any alarm bells beyond the reading fee--and contests with reading fees are not so much all bad as they are a matter of taste and circumstance whether to bother with them.

So. I'm not seeing anything off the bat that looks bad, at least not scam bad. The only negatives appear to be the reading fee and the fact that Trina at Cedar Hill Press decided to directly email NaNoWriMo MLs about it. I really don't like spammers asking me to deliver their message to my troops. Buuut... the spam was well-written, personalized (if only by database insertion), and informative, so that it read more like... well, a query letter. Professional and courteous.

Anyway, for you all to peruse, and to confirm/deny any suspicions I want to have (because of the spam angle) but can't seem to keep up (because everything looks on the up-and-up)...

Trina said:
Dear Niki;

ReadMyWords.com (a division of Cedar Hill Press) is sponsoring a writing
contest for short fiction. Manuscripts will be accepted till December 15,
2006. Cash prizes will be awarded. Entry forms and the guidelines are
available at www.ReadMyWords.com.

We hope you share this email with your NaNoWriMo forum members, colleagues and friends.

Sincerely,

Trina S. Bernard, Partner
Cedar Hill Press
P.O. Box 24784
Cleveland, Ohio 44124

www.CedarHillPress.com

blackbird

Registered
Reaction score
Cedar Hill Press (provided it is the same press I am familiar with and not some johnnie-come-lately that just happens to have the same name) is a very respectable small press. It is the same press that puts out "Cedar Hill Review," again a very small, but highly respectable and legit, literary journal. I had a poem published in one of their all-women anthologies many years ago, and to this day still often include them as one of my publication credits when querying or writing cover letters. They are one of the most respected "small press" journals and presses on the scene. They generally don't pay other than in contributor copies, but still, a good credential if your work is accepted. They do offer periodic cash prize contests, of which this sounds like a typical one. I would have no hesitation about entering.

Last edited:

CaoPaux

Mostly Harmless
Staff member
Super Moderator
Registered
Reaction score
Cedar Hill Press aka Cedar Hill Books of San Diego looks defunct. http://www.cedarhillbooks.org/

If this Cedar Hill Press of Ohio is a reincarnation, I'd want a lot more info on how winner(s) would be published before I'd submit anything.

blackbird

Registered
Reaction score
Cedar Hill Press out of San Diego was indeed the one I was referring to (sorry, it's been many years since I submitted. I could not remember where the press was based). It is possible the press in Ohio could be a reincarnation, but I would get more info before submitting.

CaoPaux

Mostly Harmless
Staff member
Super Moderator
Registered
Reaction score
Well, they've got winners up (and submission calls for more contests), but there's no sign of publishing anything other than their newsletter.

CaoPaux

Mostly Harmless
Staff member
Super Moderator
Registered
Reaction score
ReadMyWords.com is gone, and main site hasn't posted winners or newsletters since 2007.