Read Books By AWers!

Welcome to the AbsoluteWrite Water Cooler! Please read The Newbie Guide To Absolute Write

editing for authors ad

A publisher or agency using Google ads to solicit your novel probably isn't anyone you want to write for.

Go Back   Absolute Write Water Cooler > Discussion > Bewares, Recommendations & Background Check
Register FAQ Calendar Mark Forums Read

Old 08-31-2006, 10:32 PM   #1
Monet
practical experience, FTW

Monet is on a distinguished road
Irene Goodman Literary Agency

What's up with two agencies

1. Irene Goodman Literary Agency
2. Wieser & Elwell, Inc.

having the exact same address?

80 Fifth Avenue Suite 1101 NY NY 10011

also have found Wieser & Elwell, Inc. with same street/suite address but different zip --- 10010

puzzled - do they share an office?

Everything becomes clearer with distance

Last edited by Monet; 08-31-2006 at 10:38 PM.
Monet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-31-2006, 11:31 PM   #2
James D. Macdonald
Your Genial Uncle
Absolute Sage

James D. Macdonald is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsJames D. Macdonald is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsJames D. Macdonald is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsJames D. Macdonald is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsJames D. Macdonald is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsJames D. Macdonald is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsJames D. Macdonald is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsJames D. Macdonald is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsJames D. Macdonald is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsJames D. Macdonald is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsJames D. Macdonald is so great that we've run out of appropriate compliments
Or perhaps share a mail-forwarding service. Or share a secretary.

These things aren't unusual.
Old 09-01-2006, 01:59 AM   #3
Crinklish

Crinklish is well-respected
There are several different agencies at that particular address...it's a suite of offices, and they share rent and conference room space.
Crinklish is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-01-2006, 06:48 AM   #4
Monet

Monet is on a distinguished road
Thanks, all. The information is good to know. I thought for sure one of the addresses was incorrect.

Everything becomes clearer with distance
Monet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-01-2006, 09:44 AM   #5
Scrawler
Bored fanatic

Scrawler is well-respected
BTW- I got a nice rejection from the Irene Goodman agency. A standard, but very pleasantly worded "Dear Author" that icluded the line, "We also appreciate the hard work and diligence needed to get in the door, and we applaud your efforts." Below was a handwritten and complimentary note stating she would "be happy to look at future projects."
Such a nice way to say thanks but no thanks!
Scrawler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-01-2006, 11:36 PM   #6
CaoPaux
Mostly Harmless
SuperModerator

CaoPaux is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsCaoPaux is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsCaoPaux is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsCaoPaux is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsCaoPaux is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsCaoPaux is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsCaoPaux is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsCaoPaux is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsCaoPaux is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsCaoPaux is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsCaoPaux is so great that we've run out of appropriate compliments
Agents can also be sub-agents for other agencies. Given the real estate situation in NYC, I've this mental image of desks stacked like bunk beds.

Just FYI:

Ms. Goodman: http://www.irenegoodman.com/

Wieser & Elwell: http://www.publishersmarketplace.com...eserandWieser/
I've never known any trouble that an hour's reading didn't assuage. -- Charles DeSecondat

2013: II2014:
CaoPaux is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-28-2007, 12:28 AM   #7
Edita A Petrick
Not new, just quiet

Edita A Petrick is on a distinguished road
Irene Goodman Literary Agency

I thought I'd share this with the rest of you here. I queried this agency nearly 2 years ago - yep, 2 years ago since I keep records. The query concerned my police mystery novel, "Cold Scheme" - and I just received (March 19, 2007) reply from someone at the agency named Miriam Kriss, declining interest in the novel. It's a generic rejection but it's NOT an auto-reply which makes me wonder who's doing "cleaning-up" at the agency and more important, why...?

Dear Author,
I dislike having to send you a standard form letter as much as I'm sure you
dislike receiving one. Unfortunately, the volume of unsolicited mail
prevents us from giving more individual responses.
We did review your proposal, and for some reason we don't feel we can represent it. Some of them come close, and yours may well be one of those, but we do have our reasons for declining.
We also appreciate the hard work and diligence needed to get in the door, and we applaud your efforts. Since this is a highly subjective business, you may well find success elsewhere, and we wish you all the best with your writing.
Sincerely,
Miriam Kriss

Now, this particular novel's gone to publish as an e-book about 1 year ago. So, as for agents not being courteous and replying - positive or negative - this agency takes courtesy very seriously...honestly, I'm still chuckling about it. I mean 2 years...? Why bother?
Edita A Petrick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-28-2007, 12:56 AM   #8
zizban
Banned

zizban is a shiny, shiny jewelzizban is a shiny, shiny jewel
It's just a rejection...dont read too much into it.
zizban is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-28-2007, 03:38 AM   #9
waylander
Who's going for a beer?

waylander is better than ice cream with hot fudgewaylander is better than ice cream with hot fudgewaylander is better than ice cream with hot fudgewaylander is better than ice cream with hot fudgewaylander is better than ice cream with hot fudgewaylander is better than ice cream with hot fudgewaylander is better than ice cream with hot fudge
Miriam Kriss is one of the partners there.
waylander is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-28-2007, 06:59 AM   #10
Edita A Petrick
Not new, just quiet

Edita A Petrick is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by zizban View Post
It's just a rejection...dont read too much into it.

I know that - and that's not what made me laugh. But taking 2 years...to send e-mail...honestly, were I cleaning my files I wouldn't remember who sent me what after 2 years. In which case caution and sanity would prevail and I'd not bother replying at all. It's kind of silly. But plucky, I suppose....
Edita A Petrick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-28-2007, 07:22 AM   #11
HapiSofi
Hagiographically Advantaged
AW Moderator

HapiSofi is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsHapiSofi is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsHapiSofi is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsHapiSofi is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsHapiSofi is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsHapiSofi is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsHapiSofi is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsHapiSofi is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsHapiSofi is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsHapiSofi is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsHapiSofi is so great that we've run out of appropriate compliments
Could be she was cleaning out her unanswered backlog. You may not care at this point, but another writer might be offended at the idea that they wouldn't want to hear a reply.
Old 03-28-2007, 10:12 AM   #12
Stacia Kane
Girl Detective
AW Moderator

Stacia Kane is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsStacia Kane is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsStacia Kane is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsStacia Kane is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsStacia Kane is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsStacia Kane is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsStacia Kane is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsStacia Kane is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsStacia Kane is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsStacia Kane is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsStacia Kane is so great that we've run out of appropriate compliments
Lori Perkins just discussed this on her blog a couple of weeks ago, and got an overwhelming "We want a reply no matter how much time has passed" response.

WRONG WAYS DOWN available now!

"...in Wrong Ways Down, Kane masterfully peels back layers unseen through Chess' point of view. Through Terrible's eyes, Kane walks readers on a thin line, riding the rough and yet poetic cadence of how he speaks and thinks--and in doing so, she reveals a layer to him, Chess and the underbelly of his world not seen before."

--Lauren Dane, NYT & USA TODAY bestseller
Stacia Kane is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-28-2007, 04:30 PM   #13
jkorzenko

jkorzenko is on a distinguished road
Miriam Kriss is top notch. I guess what they say about the height of a slush pile is true. LOL. I'd be chuckling, too, Edita. After three months, I normally mark that sub as a non-response R and move on.

J.
jkorzenko is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-28-2007, 10:27 PM   #14
Scrawler
Bored fanatic

Scrawler is well-respected
I queried Irene Goodman and received a timely reply from Miriam Kriss. Her form letter included a hand written request to submit something else.
I've received 2 rejections over a year later- one a very poor quality copy of a form letter, the other a personal letter full of apologies, saying my query had been put in the wrong office.
Scrawler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-06-2007, 05:16 PM   #15
tammieofmi

tammieofmi is on a distinguished road
Sssheesshh 2 years that is funny. Does make you wonder where they are at with the slush pile though. I sent her a query in January, so 3 months is nothing )
tammieofmi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-06-2007, 05:21 PM   #16
janetbellinger

janetbellinger leaves trails of profuse coolnessjanetbellinger leaves trails of profuse coolnessjanetbellinger leaves trails of profuse coolnessjanetbellinger leaves trails of profuse coolnessjanetbellinger leaves trails of profuse coolness
It ook two years because they had a hard time deciding whether or not to represent your book. They came close to accepting it and maybe would have had they not found out it's already an ebook. Or maybe they don't know that but genuinely had trouble making a decision about it.

Originality is nothing by judicious imitation. The most original writers borrowed one from another.
Author:
Voltaire

janetbellinger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-06-2007, 05:33 PM   #17
jthome1223
figuring it all out

jthome1223 is on a distinguished road
I'll bet a pile of queries just got misplaced in a filing cabinet somewhere and they just now came across them. Before I signed with my agent, Irene Goodman requested a full from me -- and it only took about two weeks for that.

Two years! That must have been quite a shock! I got two rejections in the mail a year after I quit querying agents -- so I can relate a little bit. Funny how those rejections don't sting after you have representation!
Old 04-06-2007, 10:30 PM   #18
Robin Bayne
~writes for Him~

Robin Bayne has earned our admirationRobin Bayne has earned our admirationRobin Bayne has earned our admirationRobin Bayne has earned our admiration
She ran a group-session at a conference I attended, and we went around the table and pitched our projects. One woman pitched poetry, which had been clearly marked *do no represent* in the guidelines, but Irene listened politely and then invited ALL of us to submit our manuscripts.

No big surprise when a form rejection came later. I felt like we were all just treated politely with no real consideration.

Robin Bayne is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-25-2007, 03:55 AM   #19
JeanneTGC
I *am* Catwoman...and Gini Koch
WPR Dominatrix

JeanneTGC is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsJeanneTGC is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsJeanneTGC is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsJeanneTGC is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsJeanneTGC is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsJeanneTGC is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsJeanneTGC is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsJeanneTGC is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsJeanneTGC is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsJeanneTGC is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsJeanneTGC is so great that we've run out of appropriate compliments
I'm about to query this agency, and wondered if anyone had any info on this aspect of querying there only (I know they're legit).

On both Agent Query and Publisher's Marketplace, they indicate that snail mail queries are both accepted and preferred. On the agency's own website, it states that they only want emailed queries.

My initial reaction is to do what the agent's website says, but I just wanted to know if anyone's done snail mail query subs to them and had a good, bad or indifferent response.

Action, Adventure, Romance & Humor
Coming December 2, 2014, Universal Alien -- Preorder NOW!

--Click the covers to go to my website for details & more!

Submit your poetry, humor & shorts to Raphael's Village!
JeanneTGC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-25-2007, 04:11 AM   #20
clara bow
Li'l Rug Bug

clara bow should run for Presidentclara bow should run for Presidentclara bow should run for Presidentclara bow should run for Presidentclara bow should run for Presidentclara bow should run for President
Quote:
Originally Posted by JeanneTGC View Post
My initial reaction is to do what the agent's website says, but I just wanted to know if anyone's done snail mail query subs to them and had a good, bad or indifferent response.

over the summer, i snail queried them and received the usual form rejection. my impression is that they recently switched to email preference.
clara bow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-25-2007, 07:40 PM   #21
RTH
Call me Ishmael

RTH is on a distinguished road
Interesting to note that this seems not uncommon with this agency; I sent a query to Ms. Kriss a good while back (4 or 5 months, I think?) and never had a response.

Maybe their office could use some improvement in its slush-pile organization strategies.
RTH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-04-2007, 02:09 AM   #22
JeanneTGC
I *am* Catwoman...and Gini Koch
WPR Dominatrix

JeanneTGC is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsJeanneTGC is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsJeanneTGC is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsJeanneTGC is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsJeanneTGC is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsJeanneTGC is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsJeanneTGC is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsJeanneTGC is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsJeanneTGC is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsJeanneTGC is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsJeanneTGC is so great that we've run out of appropriate compliments
Quote:
Originally Posted by Barbarique View Post
Well, knock me over with a feather! Barbara Poelle just requested a 3-chapter partial...
Hey, that's great! Congrats! You'll have to keep us posted.

Action, Adventure, Romance & Humor
Coming December 2, 2014, Universal Alien -- Preorder NOW!

--Click the covers to go to my website for details & more!

Submit your poetry, humor & shorts to Raphael's Village!
JeanneTGC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-04-2007, 02:14 AM   #23
Moon Daughter

Moon Daughter leaves trails of profuse coolnessMoon Daughter leaves trails of profuse coolnessMoon Daughter leaves trails of profuse coolnessMoon Daughter leaves trails of profuse coolnessMoon Daughter leaves trails of profuse coolness
Congrats, Barb! Keep us updated. I can't wait til' my manuscript is complete so I can send it to their agency.
Old 07-07-2007, 12:19 AM   #24
picsbypat
New kid, be gentle!

picsbypat is on a distinguished road
I once got a response from a publisher after 23 months, but i had moved in the time between my first submission and their response, so they may have lost my address.

Pat
picsbypat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-08-2007, 06:21 PM   #25
Linda Adams
Soldier, Storyteller

Linda Adams is better than ice cream with hot fudgeLinda Adams is better than ice cream with hot fudgeLinda Adams is better than ice cream with hot fudgeLinda Adams is better than ice cream with hot fudgeLinda Adams is better than ice cream with hot fudgeLinda Adams is better than ice cream with hot fudgeLinda Adams is better than ice cream with hot fudge
Quote:
Originally Posted by JeanneTGC View Post

I did snail mail in January to them. Still haven't heard anything back. They must have updated the site because we would have sent it email at the time if the site said they preferred it.

"The Sea Listens" in Enchanted Spark
Linda Adams is offline   Reply With Quote