A calling? Mission? Vocation?

Status
Not open for further replies.

HoosierCowgirl

Registered
Reaction score
Do you all feel "called" to write? That it's part of your mission? Your vocation? Or -- in my case -- a creative way to avoid house work?

What say you?

ysic
ann

jenngreenleaf

Here to network and learn.
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.jenngreeenleaf.com
LOL Cute! I like your answer.

I don't really think of it in those terms for various reasons, but I always feel like there's something missing when I'm not writing . . . there's an urgency I can't get rid of any other way. It's a piece of me.

Rane

Duh. #winning
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.confessionsofacashier.com
I went to a class once on how to contact your guardian angel. The instructor had us meditate, and I actually (think) I saw her. Anyway, she ended up telling me that my purpose in life is to write and to help others through my writing. It was a very spiritual thing for me and I've never been into that stuff before.
smile.gif

But she also told me that I would be alone for the rest of my life and that would be okay because I would get joy out of helping others. Not sure how I feel about that part...
smile.gif

A. Hamilton

here for a minute...catch me?
Kind Benefactor
Poetry Book Collaborator
Registered
Reaction score
being alone is how it is

Rane, i always tell my kids that ultimately, it is just you and God baby. in the beginning, in the end.

Inspired

Registered
Reaction score
The calling is to write and to teach, for me. I'm not sure exactly where that's going to lead me. I'm writing and teaching now, but in a few years I hope to have less classroom contact, so I can write more (and teach that way.)

I've been called to do several things in life, and this is just one on my list.

Betty W01

Empress of Cyberworld
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
I do believe I am called to write, along with other things (be a wife, a mom, a sister, a daughter, a woman of God in every way possible). And I can only explain any success I've had by saying His hand has been on my writing all along.

Ralyks

Untold stories inside
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.editorskylar.com
HoosierCowgirl said:
Do you all feel "called" to write? That it's part of your mission? Your vocation? Or -- in my case -- a creative way to avoid house work?

What say you?

ysic
ann

I don't really feel like it's a calling, but I do try to use my writing for religous purposes. For instance, I edit a small press Christian Literary Magazine, and I tend to slip religious sentiments into all my writing, even the otherwise secular stuff.

I'm not sure why I would not call it a calling. I guess it's because I don't fell...that important as a writer? But I don't doubt God could use the writing and my editing/publishing of the magazine if he wants to. I see the magazine as more of a "ministry" than I do my own writing. Also, writing is not the central focus of my life--frankly, rasing my family is.

jenngreenleaf

Here to network and learn.
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.jenngreeenleaf.com
I guess it's because I don't fell...that important as a writer?
I think all writers feel this way at one point (or all points, for that matter) or another in their career. Feeling important is one thing, feeling vaidated is another -- and I think the way you slip in your sentiments is an excellent form of validation. :) That's just my opinion, though.

Pat~

Luftmensch Emeritus, A.D.D.
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Yes, I do feel God has called me to write, though I'm also called to do a lot of other things as well (be a wife, mom, teach Bible, etc.). Several years ago, a friend of mine who also taught Bible studies at our church had mentioned that she was trying to get her Bible study published. I remember encouraging her, and thinking what a neat thing that'd be. A week or two later, I was on an airplane (does anyone else here pray a lot on airplanes? :) ), and God inexplicably laid it on my heart to write a Bible study for women dealing with depression and addictive/compulsive behaviors (based on my experience with that a couple of years earlier). I remember feeling like Gideon (mwah???!!!)...and prayed that God would confirm it, as I really had my doubts as to whether or not this was a real nudge from God. The next day, the pastor's theme was 'you should proclaim what God has done for you.' The day after that was another confirming message in the mail (I've forgotten it at the moment, though it's in my journal). Tuesday I started getting nervous, and made an appt. with my former counselor...I wanted to gauge whether or not she thought I was still battling anorexia, because I didn't feel I had any business teaching others how God could work in their lives, if I myself was still not surrendered to His work in mine. Thursday we met; I was too embarassed to tell her that I thought God wanted me to write a book, so we just chatted in general terms about how my life was going, and about what it meant to be "over" an eating disorder. Suddenly, out of the clear blue, she looked at me, and said, "You know, Rick Warren's got a workbook out now, for people dealing with addictive behavior. I bet you could do that." I asked her, "You mean you'd like me to do his workbook?", and she replied, "no, I mean I bet you could write one like that." After I caught my breath, I told her that that was why I was actually there, and that I'd been praying about that very thing. I went home and started writing, and finished it about 8 months later.
While writing it, I took writing courses, and after I finished it I went to writer's conferences with it. That led to other types of writing, and eventual publication. It's been very fulfilling, but I'm always reminded to do what I do with an ear to His voice, because He could change my direction at any moment. It's not just what we do, but it's also whether or not we're doing what we're supposed to be doing when He wants us to do it. That calls for daily communication. His "call" is to be a servant--and that takes on many forms daily, and throughout a lifetime.

Calla Lily

On hiatus
Staff member
Super Moderator
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.aliceloweecey.net
HoosierCowgirl said:
Do you all feel "called" to write? That it's part of your mission? Your vocation?

Well, I've already screwed up once regarding my vocation -- in the literal Catholic sense of the word. I joined the convent at 18. But during a "discernment" meeting with the nun who was mentoring me in, she asked for a definite yes or no. (That was one of her tactics: pressure. She was also good at reverse psychology, playing up to teenage rebellion, and fostering the loner. But you can almost tar me with the same brush: after 2 years in habit, I too knew how to use all those things. However, I never used them.) While praying about it, I "heard" the following: "Say no." AND I IGNORED IT. And paid.

However, I've been writing since age 9. And without the convent years, my writing would not be what it is today.

I learned to listen to the call, finally.:e2cloud9:

Edgarallenwannabe

Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.kevinlucia.net
jennhollowell said:
LOL Cute! I like your answer.

I don't really think of it in those terms for various reasons, but I always feel like there's something missing when I'm not writing . . . there's an urgency I can't get rid of any other way. It's a piece of me.

I get that. I get twitchy if I don't write; I always feel that every moment not writing is simply wasting a talent that I've been given. That, and making stuff up is cool.

Not very noble, huh? All I can say is the mechanical process of writing soothes me, the mental exercise of framing words and sentences into a coherent piece orders my mind, and I love to see characters and stories bloom to life...especially when they take on lives of their own and go in directions I had never originally planned...

Did I mention the part abut making stuff up being cool?

www.kevinlucia.net

InspiredWriter

Registered
Reaction score
Commissioned to Write

It is an amazing place to be, doing what I love to do and sensing the prodding of the Holy Spirit to do specific projects. I went to a writers seminar in February and was taking notes when all of the sudden the title of my book came to me, not the book I was working on, but a new title. I am in the process of writing several books about grief and had never considered doing a devotional about the topic until that moment. I knew in an instant that this is what I am supposed to do right now. So, I am writing a book proposal while I write the devotionals. I purchased the domain name for the title (I know, publishers often change a title, but I am not planning to budge on the title!)

I am recording the journey from here to publication on my blog.

This is one of several times I have felt commissioned by God for a specific assignment. Each time, I did what I believed I was supposed to and met with success. My job is to follow God's lead and be obedient. The rest is in His capable hands.

Bigbunny

Registered
Reaction score
I believe I have been called by God. I've loved writing since I could hold a crayon, and I remember asking God specifically when I was 12 or so if that's what He purposed for me to be. He answered me in a VERY specific way, and has continued to do so throughout my life.

Of course, I don't ask anymore, because I've received my answer. Now it's up to me to write, and not waste the gift and talent He blessed me with. (That's not saying I don't have a lot to learn in the way of polishing my writing, etc.)

Great thread. It gave me time to pause and thank the Lord for His goodness.

Hope you all had a Happy Easter!

Nateskate

Registered
Reaction score
Round-a-bout answer. I think I feel a generic sense of purpose and hope my writing is not a waste of time, a useless diversion.

In some respects, I think God gives everyone talents, gifts, and abilities. An evangelist without the spiritual inclination is simply a great salesman. A prophet without the right spiritual inclination is a critic. But we all have within us, something to help bring about "Thy kingdom come; Thy will be done on earth as it is in heaven"

But within that mix, I think we have certain options. I just hope at the end of the day I haven't invested everything in wood, hay and stubble, and missed greater opportunities.

SeanDSchaffer

HoosierCowgirl said:

What say you?

ysic
ann

I've always known I was going to be a writer, from about the age of nine years. My father recognized my abilities and told me I could be a great writer someday, if I worked hard at it.

But when I became a Christian three years ago (April 3rd, 2003), I was not so sure any more, partially because of an attitude within the church I was going to at the time, that writing was not of God.

The first thing I asked the Lord when I accepted Him into my heart, was what He thought I should do with my life. His reply, as impressed upon my heart, was to continue what I was doing--which, of course, was writing.

So yes, I think that writing is a calling that God has given me, and that as I continue to pursue the goal of becoming better and getting published, I am pressing 'toward the mark for the prize of the high calling of God in Christ Jesus,' that the Apostle Paul spoke of.

Calla Lily

On hiatus
Staff member
Super Moderator
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.aliceloweecey.net
Slight derail...

I noticed that many of us are saying we started writing at age 9 or 10--more at 9.

Kinda cool--is that the age when our brains get enough in gear to start creating rather than just absorbing?

If I'd had anything more than Psych 101 and a quick Methods course for teaching, I might be able to answer my own question. Alas, I cannot. Anyone?

September skies

cloud watching
Registered
Reaction score
under my September Skies in sunny California
Website
www.estheravila.com
I think we are "called" to write. Or maybe it's in our genes. I wrote my first story in fifth grade and was totally hooked. I still have my elementary, middle school and high school journals and binder after binder of stories I wrote. I was 8 when I wrote my first poem and 9 with my first stories.
In fact, I still have six stories -- all with a big fat "A" on them -- written in pencil when I was in sixth grade.

Status
Not open for further replies.