Constructing a language?

lpetrich

Registered
Reaction score
I have in mind natural languages, like what you are now reading and what you'd write in response to me. Various people have been constructing languages for some centuries, but conlanging got a big boost in the late 19th cy. with Volapük and Esperanto, both of which were intended as international auxiliary languages.

Some people have constructed languages as a hobby, notably J.R.R. Tolkien. He went on to construct worlds for the speakers, and then stories in those worlds: the Lord of the Rings series.

Constructed languages in fantasy & SF | Anne Lyle
Mark Rosenfelder's Metaverse -- including lots of stuff on conlanging
List of constructed languages - Wikipedia

If you wish to construct a conlang for your story, you could start with what Mark Rosenfelder calls a "naming language". Construct only what's necessary: sounds, way of spelling them, and some vocabulary and grammar -- you will usually need only noun phrases. Unless you have names that are whole sentences. Instead of "Beaver Creek", "Beavers Love This Creek" -- you'll need a full-scale conlang for that.

As to phonology or language sounds, a lazy way of indicating a different one is to use lots of apostrophes. But one could look at how languages vary. Some languages have sounds that others don't, others make distinctions that others treat as alternations of the same high-level sound or phoneme ("allophones"), etc. If you want a quick comparison of phonology possibilities, WALS Online - the World Atlas of Language Structures is a good place to look. Wikipedia articles on individual languages are also a good place to look, though you may have to do a lot of looking to get a good picture.

For instance, in Old English, initial and final f and medial v were treated as allophones of the same phoneme, something that survives in some irregular plurals: wolf - wolves, knife - knives, ... But English got oodles of Old-French words from the Norman conquerors, words where f vs. v sounds made a difference: fealty - veal, ... That split the Old English f/v phoneme into two phonemes, f and v.

Some languages, like Finnish, are like Old English f vs. v for most consonants -- primarily voiceless but made voiced in some environments. By comparison, English distinguishes two voicings, Thai three voicings of stop consonants (p, t, k), and Hindi four voicings of them. Thai's three voicings are voiceless, voiceless aspirated (with a puff of air), and voiced. English also has the first two, but treats them as allophones: stun - ton, spin - pin, skin - kin.

Some languages distinguish places of articulation (where a consonant's sound is made) that others don't. Hindi, like several other South Asian languages, distinguishes between tongue-on-teeth t and tongue-on-roof-of-mouth t. Arabic distinguishes between high-in-throat k and low-in-throat k, usually written q in the Roman alphabet. Qatar, for instance. Japanese does not distinguish l and r, thus "Engrish".

Some languages have incomplete sets of sounds. For instance, Arabic has b but not p.

Turning to vowels, some languages distinguish lots of them, like English, while some distinguish very few, like Arabic with a, i, u. But in the few-vowels case, the vowels can sound like e and o in some environments.

Also, some languages, like Finnish and Arabic, distinguish long and short vowels, while others don't.

Allowable consonant clusters vary. English allows a lot of them, though with some limits. Only a few three-consonant clusters, for instance: strip, spring, script.

Syllable structure varies from vowel or consonant-vowel only to allowing a few final consonants (not all at once!) to allowing many of them, as English does.

Turning to orthography or spelling, look at what different languages have done with our alphabet. English exclusively uses letter clusters to represent additional sounds, while many other languages use extra marks, though often alongside letter clusters. As an example, consider the spelling of the "ch" sound. English uses "ch", French uses "tch", German uses "tsch", Spanish uses "ch", Italian uses "ci", Polish uses "cz", Czech uses "c" with a small v on top, and Croatian has two, a Czech-like one, and a c with a forward accent on top.

I think I'll leave off here.

rwm4768

practical experience, FTW
Registered
Reaction score
I don't worry too much about constructing languages. I just make sure that my names for people and places seem like they could belong to the same language.

If you find this aspect of worldbuilding fun, go for it, but it's not really my thing.

PeteMC

@PeteMC666
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Website
talonwraith.wordpress.com
You lost me totally at the fourth paragraph so...I dunno. My niece would, she's doing linguistics at university, but me? Nope.

Katharine Tree

Þæt wæs god cyning
Registered
Reaction score
Website
katharinetree.com
Coming up with a phonetic chart for a language isn't a bad idea. Creates automatic coherency for proper nouns in the work.

Beyond that, I can't be bothered, even with a doctorate in linguistics.

Last edited:
Reaction score
Second star on the right and on 'til morning.
Website
atsiko.wordpress.com
I enjoy conlanging as a hobby separate from my writing, although the two often overlap. Most people don't need a full conlang for writing a story, although I think having one adds a certain amount of verisimilitude to a story. But again, it isn't necessary in most cases, although for the right person it can be fun.

We mostly ignore or hand-wave linguistic issues in story-telling, and with that convention, you only really need enough believability to let the reader skate over the deep pond of linguistic reality.

Last edited:

King Neptune

Banned
Reaction score
I remember reading about the invention of Esperanto, and I decided that it was a lot more trouble than it was worth. And there are too many languages already, so why invent another one for people to misunderstand?

I got the impression that Tolkien invented languages for fun; it was a game to him, and I can understand that. As for strange words in works of fiction, there are enough obscure languages that no one has to invent more. I have used reconstructed Proto-Indo-European in a couple of stories, but it was just for a few words.

rwm4768

practical experience, FTW
Registered
Reaction score
As long as you don't have the same language producing the names Sha'me'krastikia and Bob...

I'm not a fan of apostrophes in general. I also don't like it when made up names are too similar. Example: F'lar and F'nor (I think I got those right) in Anne McCaffrey's Dragonflight. That was one of the many things that didn't work for me about that book.

kuwisdelu

Revolutionize the World
Registered
Reaction score
Fair warning to conlangers: When I see apostrophes, I read them as glottal stops.

Nivarion

Brony level >9000
Registered
Reaction score
This is kinda fun as I'm resurrecting my first work, which had a semi developed conlang. Most of what is used are names for the story.

My advice is to be consistent, and take notes of anything you use, and develop your rule structure. Having well defined rules will let you make things as you need them, and have them be consistent.

*Some of my WIP rambling follows.*

In my WIP, a name always starts with a prefix that determines gender. A and I are masculine, E and O are feminine, U is neuter.

A name ending in -ion in this conlang means without. Three names I am using with this ending are Kilasion, Nividion and Nivarion. Lasi means land, Vidi means nation and Vari is people. (Nivarion=He has no people.)

Last edited:

Maxx

Got the hang of it, here
Registered
Reaction score
I have in mind natural languages, like what you are now reading and what you'd write in response to me.

As an ex-archaeologist, it's not so much inventing whole languages that interests me, it's imagining what kind of fragments they leave behind and how it can be deciphered.

In some ways Ancient Egyptian was easy since there was Coptic to point the way once the Rossetta Stone was worked out.

But Sumerian -- now that's a decyperment case that is stunning.

So for me, it's not any language per se that needs inventing, it's more a question of how it gets understood -- via all the fragments and discoveries of various kinds.

And yes, I put this all in my fiction -- I didn't even think of it as a linguistic problem, really.

Reaction score
Website
atsiko.wordpress.com
As an ex-archaeologist, it's not so much inventing whole languages that interests me, it's imagining what kind of fragments they leave behind and how it can be deciphered.

In some ways Ancient Egyptian was easy since there was Coptic to point the way once the Rossetta Stone was worked out.

But Sumerian -- now that's a decyperment case that is stunning.

So for me, it's not any language per se that needs inventing, it's more a question of how it gets understood -- via all the fragments and discoveries of various kinds.

And yes, I put this all in my fiction -- I didn't even think of it as a linguistic problem, really.

This is something I enjoy considering in stories where I have a conlang. Puzzles are fun.

lpetrich

Registered
Reaction score
I had in mind creating a conlang to make the story's words look as if they are words in a real language instead of being purely random. One need not go very far in doing so, one could go as far as Katharine Tree does, deciding on language sounds and sound rules.

Now for more on a naming language. I'll discuss place names first.

Place names often contain which kind of place, like village (ville) or town or city or mountain (mount) or valley or meadow or lake or river or sea or ocean or ... Your readers may even be able to determine what the words for various geographical features are.

Names are often descriptive of a place's features, like "Long Island", "Black Forest", "White Mountains", ... but many places have names of people or mythological characters in them. Gibraltar's first recorded name was the Pillars of Hercules, after that Greek mythological character. Strictly speaking, Gibraltar is the northern pillar. Its current name is from Arabic Jabal Tariq, "Tariq's Mountain" or "Mountain of Tariq", after a certain Tariq ibn Ziyad.

Since many place names are compound ones, as we've seen, how does one assemble them? There are several ways to do that, ways that we see in different languages.

Let's consider the name of North America. Wikipedia is multilingual, so one can easily see how its contributors like to translate its name.

German: Nordamerika -- Northamerica
Spanish: América del Norte -- America of the North
Russian: Severnaya Amerika -- Northern America
Etc.

Notice a variation in ordering:
North - America vs. America - North

More generally, this is:
modifier - head vs. head - modifier

Head: main item (America), modifier: what modifies it (North).

English can do both orders, though in different ways. Many languages' compound-word placenames are modifier-head, like Doylestown, Danville, Newton, Nordamerika, Düsseldorf, Neapolis (>Naples), Novgorod, Novorossiya, Abbottabad, Islamabad, Jaipur, Beijing, Tianshan, Tsushima, Okayama, ... However, Italian has head-modifier compounds like Villanova ("town, new": "new town") and Civitavecchia ("city, old": "old city").

So if you want to tease your readers, you could do head-modifier compounds instead of modifier-head ones, what they usually see.

Prepositions and articles and noun cases and grammatical gender I won't say much about. But notice that prepositions sometimes follow their associated noun phrases, making them postpositions. Japanese and several south Asian languages have lots of postpositions. A generic name for both: adpositions. Likewise, articles sometimes follow their noun phrases, like in Romanian, Bulgarian, and Scandinavian languages.

Last edited:

Roxxsmom

Beastly Fido
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Website
doggedlywriting.blogspot.com
As long as you don't have the same language producing the names Sha'me'krastikia and Bob...

I'm not a fan of apostrophes in general. I also don't like it when made up names are too similar. Example: F'lar and F'nor (I think I got those right) in Anne McCaffrey's Dragonflight. That was one of the many things that didn't work for me about that book.

But if "Bob" is a nickname for "Boborothvikbobtorkoras," then you're golden.

I kid.

But if you have long names where it's hard for most of us who grew up speaking Western European languages to "see," let alone remember the letter combinations, then some shortened nicknames are probably a good idea.

Re similar names: it's not uncommon for members of the same family to have similar names, even in the modern US, where it's increasingly popular for parents to pick names that they think sound cool or that embody cool concepts, rather than being traditional or handed down in their families.

My Sister in law and brother, for instance, gave 2/3 of their daughters names that started with "K," and my SiL's name also starts with K. And they substituted "ys" for "is" in all three names as well, with 2/3 in unexpected places.

I'm guessing a reader might have trouble keeping their names straight (and spelling them correctly) if they were characters in a novel. Heck, I always spell my twin niece's names wrong, because of those "ys" not being in the same place they usually are in those names.

Of course, in fiction, we sometimes balance realism with expediency.

Last edited:

kuwisdelu

Revolutionize the World
Registered
Reaction score
My Sister in law and brother, for instance, gave 2/3 of their daughters names that started with "K," and my SiL's name also starts with K.

One of those, eh?

My name, my brother's name, and my father's name all start with "K".

And my mother's name starts with a hard "C".

lpetrich

Registered
Reaction score
Now for personal names.

First, individual names or first names. In our society, most of them are several centuries old, but one can still find the origins of many of them. Behind the Name: Meaning of Names, Baby Name Meanings is a good place to look.

Single words: Lily, Rose, Bear, Leo (Latin: lion), Prudence, Hakim (Arabic: wise), Bertha (German: bright), Clara (Latin: bright), Phoebe (Greek: bright), Helga (Old Norse: holy), Quintus (Latin: fifth), Octavia (Latin: eighth), Agatha (Greek: "good"), ...

With derivational suffixes, like Valentine, from Latin Valentinus: Valens, -ent-, "strong" + -inus. Some ancient Romans carried this even further: Valentinianus = Valens -inus -ius -anus

Compounds:

Some Germanic ones with "wolf" and "raven": Rudolf ("famous wolf"), Adolf ("noble wolf"), Wolfgang ("wolf path"), Wulfila ("wolf" + diminutive: "little wolf"), Beowulf ("bee wolf"(?) ~ bear), Cynewulf ("royal wolf"), Wulfstan ("wolf stone"), Bertram ("bright raven"), Wolfram ("wolf raven").

Some Classical Greek ones with "horse": Leucippus ("white horse"), Xanthippe ("yellow horse"), Chrysippus ("golden horse"), Philip (Philippos, "horse lover"), Hippocrates, Hipparchus ("horse master" or "horse tamer"), Hippolytus ("horse releaser" or "freed horse").

Some with "glory": Agathocles ("glory of goodness"), Pericles ("glory all around"), Cleopatra ("father's glory" -- Greek and not Egyptian). Some with "gift": Apollodorus ("gift of Apollo"), Isidore (Isidoros, "gift of Isis"), Theodore (Theodoros) and Dorothy (Dorothea) both "gift of god".

Some Slavic ones. Vladimir ("famous ruler" or "world ruler"), Vladislav ("glorious ruler"), Bogdan ("gift of god"), Ludmila ("people's favorite"), ...

So you can create names that have repeated elements, and even hint at their meanings in your story.

Jacob_Wallace

Registered
Reaction score
I always found constructing languages to be the most difficult and tedious part of fantasy/sci-fi.

I usually construct my elven names by chopping up parts of German words that describe the elf's personality.

lpetrich

Registered
Reaction score
I usually construct my elven names by chopping up parts of German words that describe the elf's personality.
Interesting way to construct names. By pilfering existing vocabulary, you already have something that looks like "real" words. I recall one author who used central Asian place names or some such. I remember game developer Bungie causing some controversy for using Australian place names for the names of its Mauls, piglike characters in its Myth series of real-time-strategy games.

Now for a few more individual names. Here are "theophoric" ones, those with god names in them. Daniel (Hebrew: "God's judgment"), Abdullah (Arabic: "servant of God/Allah"), Nebuchadnezzar (Nabu-kudurri-usur, Akkadian: "May Nabu protect my oldest son"), Mario (Italian, from Latin Marius, "Mars" + derivational suffix), Martin (Latin Martinus, "Mars" + d.s.), Dmitri (Russian, from Greek Demetrios, "Demeter" + d.s.), Dennis (medieval French, from Greek Dionysios, "Dionysus" + d.s.), Diana (Roman deity), Oswald (Germanic, "divine ruler"), Thorstein (Germanic, "Thor's stone").

So you could have some of your people have names containing names of deities that they worship.

NRoach

Registered
Reaction score
I've been playing with constructing a future version of English for a scifi work I've got brewing away.
I'm thinking it'd be at least four to five hundred years in the future, with slower than light colonisation having kept people reasonably isolated from one another.
I've kept grammar changes relatively light, mainly restricting it to the elimination of irregularities, along with the removal of the what/who distinction, and dropping conjugation (except for time) for everything outside of modals (which still conjugate for mood). I've deliberately wreaked even more havoc on spelling, along with sliding phenomes around a bit.

i dont now ev tat be samting who con wark dou. i now tat et woll be hart tou ried four samting os lang os e neval.

I also like the idea of the more remote colonies being more conservative, and even getting more synthetic than modern English is, but I've not put as much thought into that.

lpetrich

Registered
Reaction score
I've kept grammar changes relatively light, mainly restricting it to the elimination of irregularities, along with the removal of the what/who distinction, and dropping conjugation (except for time) for everything outside of modals (which still conjugate for mood). I've deliberately wreaked even more havoc on spelling, along with sliding phenomes around a bit.

i dont now ev tat be samting who con wark dou. i now tat et woll be hart tou ried four samting os lang os e neval.
Interesting. The English voiceless/voiced "th" sound is not very common, and it can get turned into t/d, s/z, or f/v.

I also like the idea of the more remote colonies being more conservative, and even getting more synthetic than modern English is, but I've not put as much thought into that.
This can happen by making contractions a standard part of the language. That has happened with Continental Western Romance preposition + article combinations, and it's also how the CWR future tenses are formed (auxiliary verb > suffix). Also by creating lots of compound words; Chinese is heading in the multisyllabic direction in that way.

Likewise, definite articles sometimes get as interpreted as parts of words. That has happened to a lot of borrowings from Arabic, like alembic, alchemy, algebra, algorithm, Algeria, and Alcoran (the Koran).

Reaction score
Website
atsiko.wordpress.com
I've been playing with constructing a future version of English for a scifi work I've got brewing away.
I'm thinking it'd be at least four to five hundred years in the future, with slower than light colonisation having kept people reasonably isolated from one another.

I'd think because your vowel changes seem kinda random, some people might have trouble getting into the groove for a novel-length work.

lpetrich

Registered
Reaction score
From individual names to family names. Or, as we often say, from first names to last names. First their order: individual-family is a very common order, but some societies use family-individual, like China, Korea, Japan, and Hungary.

But why have them at all? In most premodern societies, people usually had single names. Some, however, developed multiple names, like the Roman Republic and Empire. But in recent centuries in the more higher-tech societies, just about everybody has had at least an individual and a family name, and sometimes additional names.

Part of the reason for that is to tell people apart, since in a large-scale society, many people may end up having the same name. That brings up an oddity in Star Trek. Multiple names seem rather rare in them. Mostly Earthlings and a few others seem to have them. That's implausible for some of the societies that we encounter in the series, societies comparable to the Earthling one in the series. Wouldn't one expect the Vulcans or Romulans or Klingons or Ferengi to have multiple names?

Now for origins of last names.

Patronymic / matronymic: son, daughter, or child of someone

Johnson, Andersen, MacLeod, Fitzpatrick, Solzhenitsyn, Yannopoulos
Sometimes with a derivational suffix: Petrich, Petrov, Andreadis
Sometimes with the genitive or of-case: Papandreou (Greek: "of Father Andrew")

Icelanders use this system, but using one's actual parents without handing the names down the generations. Russians use such an actual patronymic as a middle name: Vladimir Vladimirovich Putin.

Personal features: Black, Brown, White, Little, Long, Boileau (French: "water drinker"), Leblanc (French: "white"), Schwartz (German: "black").

Places: Stone, Heath, Grove, Atwater, Berg (Germanic: "mountain"), Lund (Swedish: "grove"), Dahl (Swedish: "valley")

Named Places and Ethnicities: Newton, Roman, Berlin, Hollande, Baghdadi, Lallemand (French: "German"), Vasco (Spanish: "Basque"), Horvath (Hungarian: "Croat")

Occupations: Baker, Farmer, Smith, Butcher, Thatcher, Priest, Leverrier (French: "glassmaker"), Ferrari, Ferraro (Italian: "ironworker"), Eisenhower (German: "ironworker"), Kuznetsov (Russian: "smith" + d.s.), Boehner (German: "bean farmer", lit. "beaner")

Titles: King, Queen, Prince, Duke, Knight, Noble, LeRoi (French: "king"), Koenig (German: "king"), Malik (Arabic: "king"), Khalifa (Arabic: "caliph"), Khan (Mongolian: "ruler")

Ornamental: Gold, Silver, Diamond, Ruby, Flower, Bernstein (German: "amber"), Finkelstein: (German: "diamond", lit. "sparkle stone"), Blum (German: "flower" or "bloom"), Roosevelt (Dutch: "rose field"), Rosenthal (German: "rose valley")