Happy Hanukkah!

Happy Hanukkah!

Welcome to the AbsoluteWrite Water Cooler! Please read The Newbie Guide To Absolute Write

editing for authors ad

A publisher or agency using Google ads to solicit your novel probably isn't anyone you want to write for.

Go Back   Absolute Write Water Cooler > Discussion > Beta Readers, Mentors, and Writing Buddies
Register FAQ Calendar Mark Forums Read

Old 11-25-2004, 01:15 PM   #1
triceretops

Paleontologist, geologist?

I don't suppose we have any bonofied paleontologists or geologists in this group? If so I would like to discuss topics related to my non-fiction book about Pleistocene discoveries at Diamond Valley Lake, Hemet, California. I've just started to compile information on this recent ice age discovery. Nothing has been written on this subject aside from a few newspaper articles and sidebars. This dig went on from 1993 to 1999 as the result of a huge damn and reservoir project out here. They just happened to stumble upon the fossils of 30 mastodons, 10 mammoths and all other assorted species of ice age critters. It was touted as the second largest and most important discovery in southern California, since La Brea Tar pits. Why no one even bothered to touch on this subject has always left me aghast. Hence my desire to pound this script out. I might need a professional to do the intro or forward of the book, perhaps even a consultant (with credit).
It's possible I'll need a b/w line illustrator for animal and map representations--don't know yet. Huge project. Tons of science involved here. I'm cram-coursing in all the related disciplines to prepare myself for this work. I'm waiting on the Southern California Municipal Water District to send me the related photos, reports and resource material. That's because they OWN everything, not the Museum where they are housed.
Any advice or help would be appreciated.
Yours in trust, Chris H. Stevenson aka Triceratops
Old 11-24-2008, 04:37 PM   #2
Diamond-Raven
New Fish; Learning About Thick Skin

Diamond-Raven is on a distinguished road
You may have better luck emailing the geology/paleontology profs at various universities for help.

During the summer time many of them are out in the field, but right now they're all on campus', teaching and studying data they collected over the summer. Some of them would surely be interested in helping you with your book.

"For a writer, a pen is their soul and the paper upon which they write is the undiscovered territory of other people's souls." - Me

"It takes courage to look inside yourself, and even more courage to write it down for other people to see." - Benjamin Sisko, ST DS9
Diamond-Raven is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-24-2008, 04:40 PM   #3
triceretops
Super Browser

triceretops is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentstriceretops is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentstriceretops is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentstriceretops is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentstriceretops is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentstriceretops is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentstriceretops is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentstriceretops is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentstriceretops is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentstriceretops is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentstriceretops is so great that we've run out of appropriate compliments
Heh, heh. Thanks Diamond. It's been years, but I do still have most of the book completed. Haven't place it, for lack of platform. Maybe one day.

Tri
triceretops is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-24-2008, 04:51 PM   #4
dmytryp
Banned

dmytryp is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsdmytryp is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsdmytryp is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsdmytryp is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsdmytryp is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsdmytryp is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsdmytryp is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsdmytryp is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsdmytryp is so great that we've run out of appropriate compliments
Blackbird is a geologist
dmytryp is offline   Reply With Quote