Read Books By AWers!

Welcome to the AbsoluteWrite Water Cooler! Please read The Newbie Guide To Absolute Write

editing for authors ad

A publisher or agency using Google ads to solicit your novel probably isn't anyone you want to write for.

Go Back   Absolute Write Water Cooler > Discussion > Bewares, Recommendations & Background Check
Register FAQ Calendar Mark Forums Read

Old 03-13-2006, 08:35 PM   #1
victoriastrauss
Writer Beware Goddess
Absolute Sage

victoriastrauss is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsvictoriastrauss is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsvictoriastrauss is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsvictoriastrauss is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsvictoriastrauss is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsvictoriastrauss is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsvictoriastrauss is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsvictoriastrauss is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsvictoriastrauss is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsvictoriastrauss is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsvictoriastrauss is so great that we've run out of appropriate compliments
Thumbs down Writer Beware's 20 Worst Agents

Writer Beware's Thumbs Down Agency List.

(NOTE: The list in its entirety used to be posted here, but we've found that it changes frequently enough, as agencies change their names or expand, that it quickly becomes obsolete. Rather than maintain an obsolete version here, or constantly update this post, I've posted the link above, which will take you directly to the list in its most current version on the Writer Beware website.)

- Victoria

Victoria Strauss
www.victoriastrauss.com
Writer Beware: www.writerbeware.com
Writer Beware Blog: www.accrispin.blogspot.com
Follow me on Twitter

Last edited by James D. Macdonald; 12-14-2009 at 01:21 AM.
victoriastrauss is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-13-2006, 11:46 PM   #2
CaoPaux
Mostly Harmless
SuperModerator

CaoPaux is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsCaoPaux is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsCaoPaux is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsCaoPaux is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsCaoPaux is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsCaoPaux is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsCaoPaux is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsCaoPaux is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsCaoPaux is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsCaoPaux is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsCaoPaux is so great that we've run out of appropriate compliments
Wonderful, thank you! Methinks there're a couple we don't have listings for yet. Gimme a sec.
I've never known any trouble that an hour's reading didn't assuage. -- Charles DeSecondat

2013: II2014:
CaoPaux is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-14-2006, 09:42 PM   #3
CaoPaux
Mostly Harmless
SuperModerator

CaoPaux is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsCaoPaux is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsCaoPaux is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsCaoPaux is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsCaoPaux is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsCaoPaux is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsCaoPaux is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsCaoPaux is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsCaoPaux is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsCaoPaux is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsCaoPaux is so great that we've run out of appropriate compliments
Say, I don't suppose you have "20 Worst Publishers", too?

Or would it just be PA listed twenty times?
I've never known any trouble that an hour's reading didn't assuage. -- Charles DeSecondat

Old 03-16-2006, 09:04 AM   #4
ATP
What happened to my LIFE?!

ATP has a spectacular auraATP has a spectacular aura
Wonderful list, and of great help to those new and not-so-new to searching for book agents.

...One request that I have is that this list be provided in alphabetical order...

Thanks,

ATP
ATP is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-16-2006, 02:01 PM   #5
Aconite
Gone

Aconite is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsAconite is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsAconite is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsAconite is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsAconite is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsAconite is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsAconite is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsAconite is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsAconite is so great that we've run out of appropriate compliments
Quote:
Originally Posted by ATP
...One request that I have is that this list be provided in alphabetical order...
It already is, if you file agents under their last names. (I prefer P&E's model, myself.)
Winner of Uncle Jim's Whoo Hoo Super Writer Award and Nomad's Most Use of Vowels in a Screen Name Award as well as Maryn's Only Person on AW Whose Name Anagrams to "I, Octane," "Act I (One)" and "Nice tao" Award in addition to batgirl's Culpeper Award for Botanically Erudite Screen Name plus awatkins' AW's Most Creative Srounger [sic] of Rep Points Award not to mention azbikergirl's Arizona Most Awarded Writer Award and also Dawno's Most Interesting Signature Line Award
Aconite is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-16-2006, 07:44 PM   #6
victoriastrauss
Writer Beware Goddess
Absolute Sage

victoriastrauss is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsvictoriastrauss is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsvictoriastrauss is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsvictoriastrauss is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsvictoriastrauss is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsvictoriastrauss is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsvictoriastrauss is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsvictoriastrauss is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsvictoriastrauss is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsvictoriastrauss is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsvictoriastrauss is so great that we've run out of appropriate compliments
We're working on the publisher list. I imagine that the regulars in this topic can probably guess who's #1 and #2.

About the order--our files are alphabetical by name, which is why we went with the same thing here. There's also a good argument to do it the way P&E does. No matter what you choose, someone doesn't like it!

- Victoria

Victoria Strauss
www.victoriastrauss.com
Follow me on Twitter

Last edited by victoriastrauss; 03-16-2006 at 07:46 PM.
Old 03-16-2006, 08:00 PM   #7
CaoPaux
Mostly Harmless
SuperModerator

Quote:
Originally Posted by victoriastrauss
No matter what you choose, someone doesn't like it!
That's certainly one of the Top 20 Truths.

Old 03-23-2006, 10:49 AM   #8
ATP
What happened to my LIFE?!

ATP has a spectacular auraATP has a spectacular aura
Quote:
We're working on the publisher list. I imagine that the regulars in this topic can probably guess who's #1 and #2.

About the order--our files are alphabetical by name, which is why we went with the same thing here. There's also a good argument to do it the way P&E does. No matter what you choose, someone doesn't like it!

- Victoria
Understood.

ATP.

THE LIST – revised and as tentatively proposed:

Abacus Group Literary Agency

Allred and Allred Literary Agents (refers clients to "book doctor" Victor West of Pacific Literary Services)

Arthur Fleming Associates

B.K. Nelson, Inc

Barbara Bauer Literary Agency

Benedict & Associates (also d/b/a B.A. Literary Agency)

Brock Gannon Literary Agency

Capital Literary Agency (formerly American Literary Agents of Washington, Inc.)

Desert Rose Literary Agency

Finesse Literary Agency (Karen Carr)

Harris Literary Agency (Barbara J. Harris)

Literary Agency Group inclusive of:
Children's Literary Agency, Christian Literary Agency

New York Literary Agency , Poets Literary Agency

Screenplay Agency, Sherwood Broome, Inc.,

Stylus Literary Agency (formerly ST Literary Agency)

Writers Literary & Publishing Services Company (above-mentioned agencies’ editing arm)

Mark Sullivan Associates

Martin-McLean Literary Associates

Michelle Rooney Literary Agency (also d/b/a Creative Literary Agency and Simply Nonfiction)

Mocknick Productions Literary Agency, Inc.

Robins Agency, The (Cris Robins)

Southeast Literary Agency

West Coast Literary Associates (also d/b/a California Literary Services)

Last edited by CaoPaux; 08-26-2009 at 07:52 PM. Reason: clarifying name
ATP is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-23-2006, 06:21 PM   #9
James D. Macdonald
Your Genial Uncle
Absolute Sage

James D. Macdonald is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsJames D. Macdonald is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsJames D. Macdonald is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsJames D. Macdonald is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsJames D. Macdonald is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsJames D. Macdonald is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsJames D. Macdonald is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsJames D. Macdonald is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsJames D. Macdonald is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsJames D. Macdonald is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsJames D. Macdonald is so great that we've run out of appropriate compliments
I've just moved Cris Robins' post (and the following discussion) over to the Robins Agency thread, where it's on-topic.
Old 03-23-2006, 06:57 PM   #10
DaveKuzminski
Preditors & Editors
Requiescat In Pace

DaveKuzminski is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsDaveKuzminski is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsDaveKuzminski is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsDaveKuzminski is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsDaveKuzminski is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsDaveKuzminski is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsDaveKuzminski is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsDaveKuzminski is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsDaveKuzminski is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsDaveKuzminski is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsDaveKuzminski is so great that we've run out of appropriate compliments
I seriously considered listing individuals by last name, and almost used it. However, besides the lack of last names for businesses and the complications of listing every business name that ended in Agency in the page for "A"s, there was also the revelation I picked up from watching lots of people use Internet search engines. Most typed in a name in the first name, middle, last name order. So it seemed to me at the time that there would be more hits for searchers if the text matched the likely search items.

On reflection, the search engines have become more robust in the intervening years and it probably doesn't matter which method is used. However, P&E's listings have grown too large to change at this point.
DaveKuzminski is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-26-2006, 03:31 AM   #11
NovelistInNYC
Finally signed by an agency!

NovelistInNYC is on a distinguished road
I am so happy for this board and for lists like this. I'm just starting to seek representation for my first novel and I see a lot of these names come up again and again in my research. (Finesse/Karen Carr had me worried from the word go; I just can't see myself submitting to someone whose copy reads, "Miss Carr wants to represent published authors of which she is also one.") Anyway, thanks for this!!
Old 03-30-2006, 07:21 PM   #12
haefner919
practical experience, FTW

haefner919 is on a distinguished road
Thanks for this list. I actually sent an email to New York Literary Agency and they contacted me back wanting to read my manuscript. Everything sounded great on their website and in the email. They said they do not charge fees and only get paid when I get paid.
haefner919 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-30-2006, 07:28 PM   #13
victoriastrauss
Writer Beware Goddess
Absolute Sage

Haefner, there's a long thread on NY Literary here that will make it clear why it's on our "Worst" list.

- Victoria

Victoria Strauss
www.victoriastrauss.com
Follow me on Twitter

Old 03-31-2006, 06:14 AM   #14
cyril32a

AGENTS

TO EVERYBODY OUT THERE:

My name is Cyril "Poochie" Augustin, Jr., write of the films "Treasure N Tha Hood" & "Jeremy's Family Reunion".....

I just want to tell everybody do not deal with those slick agents/agency's that are not on the WGA list, period!

I have had a few bad experiences in my 12 year writing career that I have leaned from.......

If you want your script purchased or optioned write what people want to see...... and you'll have a shot at selling a script. Once you get that first sale it open the doors WIDE!

I'm a African-American man, so I write African-American stories.....

****REMEMBER!!!!

Sometimes you have to do things for FREE to get where you want to be....

Try to do a script and if someone wants it let them make it and just take money off the back end.......

I know its hard out there but those who want it the baddest will get it!!!!!

Cyril
Old 03-31-2006, 11:14 PM   #15
Caleb
New Fish; Learning About Thick Skin

Caleb is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Below is a list of the 20 agents about which Writer Beware has received the greatest number of advisories/complaints during the past several years.

• Mocknick Productions Literary Agency, Inc.
Victoria
This company asked me for over $300.00 to represent me, as I am unknown and they are "taking a chance with me." This is to pay for the cost of telephone calls, contacts, etc.

What a load of bullocks!!!

Caleb
Caleb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-14-2006, 11:32 PM   #16
HapiSofi
Hagiographically Advantaged
AW Moderator

HapiSofi is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsHapiSofi is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsHapiSofi is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsHapiSofi is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsHapiSofi is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsHapiSofi is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsHapiSofi is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsHapiSofi is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsHapiSofi is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsHapiSofi is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsHapiSofi is so great that we've run out of appropriate compliments
Gem doesn't get complaints?
Old 04-14-2006, 11:42 PM   #17
victoriastrauss
Writer Beware Goddess
Absolute Sage

It did, but it's out of business, as far as I know.

- Victoria

Victoria Strauss
www.victoriastrauss.com
Follow me on Twitter

Old 04-15-2006, 06:10 PM   #18
HapiSofi
Hagiographically Advantaged
AW Moderator

HapiSofi is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsHapiSofi is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsHapiSofi is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsHapiSofi is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsHapiSofi is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsHapiSofi is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsHapiSofi is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsHapiSofi is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsHapiSofi is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsHapiSofi is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsHapiSofi is so great that we've run out of appropriate compliments
Now I'm trying to remember how long it's been since I've seen one of their submissions. I'd have thought I'd seen one within the year, but I might well be mistaken. What happened to them?
Old 04-15-2006, 06:54 PM   #19
James D. Macdonald
Your Genial Uncle
Absolute Sage

James D. Macdonald is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsJames D. Macdonald is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsJames D. Macdonald is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsJames D. Macdonald is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsJames D. Macdonald is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsJames D. Macdonald is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsJames D. Macdonald is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsJames D. Macdonald is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsJames D. Macdonald is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsJames D. Macdonald is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsJames D. Macdonald is so great that we've run out of appropriate compliments
GEM's webpage now carries the headline, "Online Payday Loans, no faxing."
Old 04-16-2006, 09:48 PM   #20
PaulaO

Angry

I rec'd an email today from Barbara Bauer, Ph.D asking me to remove a post on my blog where I repeat the Top 20 List. I'm not replying to her yet but thought I'd toss her request here first.

She sent the email via a contact form on my site.

Quote:
Barbara Bauer, Ph.D. wrote:
Cease and Desist: Regarding your post of the 20 Worst Agents which you have copied from an Anonymous Competitor "Miss Snark," it is disparaging, and inappropriate as well as libelous and defamatory. Remove it promptly. Thank you. Sincerely, Barbara Bauer, Ph.D.

IP: 4.186.117.7
the post: http://paulaoffutt.com/blog/archives...ent-no-cookie/

email address the message is from (which can be faked on the form): cannoliq @ msn.com

Last edited by JennaGlatzer; 05-23-2006 at 01:14 PM.
Old 04-17-2006, 07:47 PM   #21
Jaws
Apex Predator

Jaws has earned our admirationJaws has earned our admirationJaws has earned our admirationJaws has earned our admiration
Let's just say that Ms Bauer's understanding of the relevant factual and legal issues leaves something to be desired. No, everything to be desired.

Even if the material stated in the list was untrue—and it's not—there is a virtually absolute privilege to use a trademark as a proper exemplar. In this instance, the only mark at issue might be Bauer's agency name (and it's not a protectable trademark for this purpose, but that's a technical matter); and however disparaging that reference is, without demonstrated falsehood in the stream of commerce there can be no infringement.

Miss Snark is not anonymous. Miss Snark is pseudonymous. Miss Snark is a real person, as is Killer Yapp. In fact, Killer Yapp probably has a better track record with manuscripts than does Ms Bauer. (Note: That's called "hyperbole." It's not actionable.)

Something that is "libelous" is "defamatory." By definition.

Something can only be defamatory if it is untrue. Ms Bauer's posting makes not claim of falsehood. Given the way she throws other language around, I find that curious, to say the least.
for your specific situation. You should not rely on such comments or any other published
comments, by me or anyone else as anything other than general guidance.
Unfortunately, no scam agents, vanity publishers, or other similar carrion-eaters were bent,
folded, spindled, or mutilated in creating this post (not for want of motivation).
Of course it's "fine print" it's small and red.
Jaws is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-17-2006, 08:08 PM   #22
victoriastrauss
Writer Beware Goddess
Absolute Sage

Paula, I know of another person who re-posted the list and got a similar message from Ms. Bauer. She has also sent cease-and-desist messages to people who've made posts in public forums about their experiences with her, and she has cease-and-desisted Writer Beware. We didn't respond, and that's how I've been suggesting that others deal with her.

- Victoria

Victoria Strauss
www.victoriastrauss.com
Follow me on Twitter

Old 04-17-2006, 11:01 PM   #23
Gillhoughly
Grumpy writer and editor
Absolute Sage

Location: Getting blitzed at Gillhoughly's Reef, Haleakaloha.
Gillhoughly is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsGillhoughly is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsGillhoughly is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsGillhoughly is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsGillhoughly is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsGillhoughly is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsGillhoughly is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsGillhoughly is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsGillhoughly is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsGillhoughly is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsGillhoughly is so great that we've run out of appropriate compliments
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jaws
Killer Yapp probably has a better track record with manuscripts than does Ms Bauer.

BWAH! I'd much rather have Killer Yapp represent me than B.B.

I suspect K.Y. throws much better parties, too.

Last edited by Gillhoughly; 04-18-2006 at 01:10 AM.
Gillhoughly is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-17-2006, 11:07 PM   #24
mdin
The late, the great XThe NavigatorX

mdin is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsmdin is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsmdin is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsmdin is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsmdin is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsmdin is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsmdin is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsmdin is so great that we've run out of appropriate compliments
I think the most appropriate response is for everyone with a blog to post this list on it. I will later.

My Art
mdin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-18-2006, 08:44 AM   #25
Richard White
Writer Beware's Faithful Igor

Richard White should run for PresidentRichard White should run for PresidentRichard White should run for PresidentRichard White should run for PresidentRichard White should run for PresidentRichard White should run for President
Just posted the list to my blog also!
Richard White is offline   Reply With Quote