Read Books By AWers!

Welcome to the AbsoluteWrite Water Cooler! Please read The Newbie Guide To Absolute Write

editing for authors ad

A publisher or agency using Google ads to solicit your novel probably isn't anyone you want to write for.

Go Back   Absolute Write Water Cooler > Pop Culture > Movies, TV, and Theater
Register FAQ Calendar Mark Forums Read

Old 02-25-2013, 07:50 AM   #1
Quinn_Inuit
Not a real eskimo

Quinn_Inuit is well-respected
Watching BBC shows online

If this is the wrong forum for this thread, please feel free to delete it or move it. If the former, please do let me know by PM, though, so I know what happened. I figured it related to watching TV, though, so it might fit in.

My wife and I are thinking of ditching our cable and just watching everything online. I can build a home theater PC or just buy a Roku, so I'm not worried about the hardware side. (Suggestions are welcome, though.) However, I'm a bit concerned with how we'll get BBC shows. How do you all watch Downton Abbey or Dr. Who without BBC America access? I'm aware of VPNs, but because of my job I'd prefer not to use them.

The Extended Realism Mod for Rome-Total War: come for the mod, stay for the Classical History discussions. Or vice versa.
Quinn_Inuit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-25-2013, 08:44 AM   #2
CrastersBabies
all hail zombie babies!

CrastersBabies is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsCrastersBabies is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsCrastersBabies is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsCrastersBabies is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsCrastersBabies is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsCrastersBabies is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsCrastersBabies is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsCrastersBabies is so great that we've run out of appropriate compliments
Downton Abbey is on PBS.com (full episodes, I think).
Not sure about the others.
Old 02-25-2013, 03:51 PM   #3
Quinn_Inuit
Not a real eskimo

Quote:
Originally Posted by CrastersBabies View Post
Downton Abbey is on PBS.com (full episodes, I think).
Not sure about the others.
Thanks for the info. Do you know how quickly the new episodes go up?

The Extended Realism Mod for Rome-Total War: come for the mod, stay for the Classical History discussions. Or vice versa.
Old 02-26-2013, 08:24 PM   #4
CrastersBabies
all hail zombie babies!

CrastersBabies is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsCrastersBabies is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsCrastersBabies is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsCrastersBabies is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsCrastersBabies is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsCrastersBabies is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsCrastersBabies is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsCrastersBabies is so great that we've run out of appropriate compliments
I don't. I think they're all up from season 3, though. I had to cancel my DVR recording because it conflicted with another show, so I still need to catch up.
Old 02-26-2013, 08:36 PM   #5
GinJones
practical experience, FTW

GinJones has earned our admirationGinJones has earned our admirationGinJones has earned our admirationGinJones has earned our admiration
The library. I don't mind waiting for the release on video, and then watching shows in marathon form. I enjoy the marathons. And, I'm cheap.

I've watched Dr. Who, Midsomer Murders, Luther and I can't remember what else on DVD from the library. I've watched Vera and Hustle on Idaho's PBS website.
GinJones is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-26-2013, 10:48 PM   #6
Kyla Laufreyson
My Protagonists Hate Me

Kyla Laufreyson has earned our admirationKyla Laufreyson has earned our admirationKyla Laufreyson has earned our admirationKyla Laufreyson has earned our admiration
I buy new Doctor Who episodes from Amazon Instant. They're usually up the day after they air.
Old 02-27-2013, 12:08 AM   #7
CrastersBabies
all hail zombie babies!

Yeah, Amazon Instant is awesome. If I miss a show (like Person of Interest which doesn't seem to air on the network site like most) I can usually get it on Amazon Prime for like 2$. Worth it to catch up if I'm really jonesing.
Old 02-27-2013, 01:40 AM   #8
Ashwood
supercalifragilisticexpia lidocious

Ashwood is well-respected
Hulu also has BBC shows, that I know of.

I also watched Downton Abbey on PBS.org for season 3. Thankfully I found out in time before I bought the season on iTunes.
Old 02-27-2013, 02:47 AM   #9
Torgo
Formerly Phantom of Krankor.
AW Moderator

Torgo is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsTorgo is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsTorgo is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsTorgo is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsTorgo is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsTorgo is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsTorgo is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsTorgo is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsTorgo is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsTorgo is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsTorgo is so great that we've run out of appropriate compliments
There are a couple of programs - Tunnelbear, for example - and extensions - Media Hint and Hola - that will do the job. They probably would come under VPNs, but they're easy to use and (AFAICT) legal. I would probably run the extensions in a sandboxed browser, just out of paranoia.
Torgo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-27-2013, 04:33 AM   #10
Quinn_Inuit
Not a real eskimo

Quote:
Originally Posted by CrastersBabies View Post
I don't. I think they're all up from season 3, though. I had to cancel my DVR recording because it conflicted with another show, so I still need to catch up.
That's good to know, thanks.

Old 02-27-2013, 04:34 AM   #11
Quinn_Inuit
Not a real eskimo

Quote:
Originally Posted by GinJones View Post
The library. I don't mind waiting for the release on video, and then watching shows in marathon form. I enjoy the marathons. And, I'm cheap.

I've watched Dr. Who, Midsomer Murders, Luther and I can't remember what else on DVD from the library. I've watched Vera and Hustle on Idaho's PBS website.
A solid plan, but my wife and I are concerned about the plethora of spoilers online, especially on our Facebook feeds.

Old 02-27-2013, 04:35 AM   #12
Quinn_Inuit
Not a real eskimo

That is very useful information, thank you!

Old 02-27-2013, 04:36 AM   #13
Quinn_Inuit
Not a real eskimo

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ashwood View Post
Hulu also has BBC shows, that I know of.

I also watched Downton Abbey on PBS.org for season 3. Thankfully I found out in time before I bought the season on iTunes.
That's good to know about Hulu, thanks. PBS sounds like an excellent Downton source, at least till the British ones show up on Amazon Video.

Last edited by Quinn_Inuit; 02-27-2013 at 05:29 AM.
Old 02-27-2013, 05:30 AM   #14
Quinn_Inuit
Not a real eskimo

Quote:
Originally Posted by Torgo View Post
There are a couple of programs - Tunnelbear, for example - and extensions - Media Hint and Hola - that will do the job. They probably would come under VPNs, but they're easy to use and (AFAICT) legal. I would probably run the extensions in a sandboxed browser, just out of paranoia.
Thanks, but I think we're going to pass on that. I'm in what you might call a sensitive industry to that sort of thing.