Welcome to the AbsoluteWrite Water Cooler! Please read The Newbie Guide To Absolute Write

editing for authors ad

A publisher or agency using Google ads to solicit your novel probably isn't anyone you want to write for.

Go Back   Absolute Write Water Cooler > Pop Culture > Movies, TV, and Theater
Register FAQ Calendar Mark Forums Read

Old 02-25-2013, 05:10 AM   #1
thekingsguard
Soldier, Scholar, Writer, WebVoyeur

thekingsguard is on a distinguished road
Top 10 Biggest Oscar Snubs of All-Time

I think I got the major ones. Other canidates included Best Actor/Screenwriter for the 49th Oscars (Network beat both Rocky and Taxi Driver), 1981 where Chariots of Fire beat Indiana Jones and the Raiders of the Lost Arc, and 1993, where Schindler's Lost lost both acting awards.

What do the rest of you think? Did I snub anyone myself?
Old 02-25-2013, 05:26 AM   #2
BenPanced

BenPanced is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsBenPanced is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsBenPanced is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsBenPanced is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsBenPanced is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsBenPanced is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsBenPanced is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsBenPanced is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsBenPanced is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsBenPanced is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsBenPanced is so great that we've run out of appropriate compliments
Winning awards is so arbitrary, you're going to piss off anybody for any reason. People are going to agree with you as soon as they disagree.
BenPanced is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-25-2013, 06:27 AM   #3
BradyH1861
Hold Fast.

BradyH1861 is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsBradyH1861 is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsBradyH1861 is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsBradyH1861 is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsBradyH1861 is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsBradyH1861 is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsBradyH1861 is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsBradyH1861 is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsBradyH1861 is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsBradyH1861 is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsBradyH1861 is so great that we've run out of appropriate compliments
If I could give you 1 billion rep points for the Titanic commentary, I would!

I think John Wayne should have gotten one for The Searchers in 1956. One of the few movies where he actually acted.

"Redheads are God's way of giving the World roses."
BradyH1861 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-25-2013, 07:35 AM   #4
robeiae
AW's Foremost Intellecshual

robeiae is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsrobeiae is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsrobeiae is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsrobeiae is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsrobeiae is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsrobeiae is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsrobeiae is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsrobeiae is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsrobeiae is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsrobeiae is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsrobeiae is so great that we've run out of appropriate compliments
Aliens--1986. Should have won best director, wasn't even nominated. Weaver should have won best actress.

Bladerunner--1984. Should have won pretty much everything. Nominated for only best visual effects and best art direction, won neither.

Btw, your dating in the article is inconsistent. The best film of 1990 was Dances; you've got that listed at number 5 for 1990 best pic, but also list Driving Miss Daisy for 1990 best pic at number 9 (should be best pic for 1989).

ETA: Bladerunner was 1982, not 1984. Doh!

Learning to run, T'ai Chi style--blogging about running and Eastern philosophy
Ponds of Happenstance--blogging about politics, economics, and history
Sailor on the Ponds--tweeting about everything

It's still June 27th, 1914

Breathing during a run: find your center and run from within
More on the Altra Zero Drop shoe

Last edited by robeiae; 02-25-2013 at 09:20 PM.
robeiae is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-25-2013, 08:46 AM   #5
Ed Panther
Banned

Ed Panther is on a distinguished road
Definitely Joaquin Phoenix not getting best actor for Walk the Line.

And it's outrageous that the 1974 best actor didn't go to either Dustin Hoffman for Lenny, or Al Pacino for Godfather.. And the guy in Harry and tonto won. REALLY? A grumpy old guy with his cat wins over those two masterpiece performances? REALLY? Marlon Brando not getting it for Last Tango in Paris in 1973. And I love Hoffman, but in 79 Pacino definitely deserved to win for And Justice for All.

Malcolm McDowell not even nominated for clockwork orange?

Rocky beating both Network and Taxi Driver?

And Manhattan NOT NOMINATED in 1979? That's in my opinion, one of the absolute greatest movies ever made. It's much superior to Annie Hall.
Ed Panther is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-25-2013, 08:53 AM   #6
Celia Cyanide
Joker Groupie

Celia Cyanide is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsCelia Cyanide is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsCelia Cyanide is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsCelia Cyanide is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsCelia Cyanide is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsCelia Cyanide is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsCelia Cyanide is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsCelia Cyanide is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsCelia Cyanide is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsCelia Cyanide is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsCelia Cyanide is so great that we've run out of appropriate compliments
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ed Panther View Post
He was exceptional, but I thought Philip Seymour Hoffman was very deserving.

I agree that Dark Knight was snubbed. But that much is obvious coming from me.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rzglH...ature=youtu.be

my IMDB page: http://www.imdb.com/name/nm2097751/

My decoupage shoes:

http://celiacyanide.tumblr.com/
Celia Cyanide is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-25-2013, 09:01 AM   #7
Purple Rose
practical experience, FTW

Purple Rose is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsPurple Rose is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsPurple Rose is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsPurple Rose is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsPurple Rose is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsPurple Rose is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsPurple Rose is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsPurple Rose is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsPurple Rose is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsPurple Rose is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsPurple Rose is so great that we've run out of appropriate compliments
Quote:

And it's outrageous that the 1974 best actor didn't go to either Dustin Hoffman for Lenny, or Al Pacino for Godfather.. And the guy in Harry and tonto won. REALLY? A grumpy old guy with his cat wins over those two masterpiece performances? REALLY? Marlon Brando not getting it for Last Tango in Paris in 1973. And I love Hoffman, but in 79 Pacino definitely deserved to win for And Justice for All.

Malcolm McDowell not even nominated for clockwork orange?

Rocky beating both Network and Taxi Driver?

And Manhattan NOT NOMINATED in 1979? That's in my opinion, one of the absolute greatest movies ever made. It's much superior to Annie Hall.
Agree 100% with this post.

Also, The Color Purple - 11 nominations, not a single win. I thought Whoopi Goldberg was more deserving than Geraldine Page in A Trip to Bountiful; I thought the movie was more powerful, with a more compelling storyline than Out of Africa.
Old 02-25-2013, 09:10 AM   #8
Ed Panther
Banned

Ed Panther is on a distinguished road
Oh, and The Truman Show DEFINITELY should've been nominated in 98.

Streetcar names desire should've won in 51.

Dr. Strangelove should've won in 64.

2001 Space Odyssey should've won in 1968.

Paths of Glory should've been nominated in 57.

And lots of people might disagree, but I think both Bonnie and Clyde and The Graduate deserved to win in 67 more than In the Heat of the Night.

Oh, and Harold and Maude and Dirty Harry both should've been nominated in 71, and deserved to win more than French Connection.

Last edited by Ed Panther; 02-25-2013 at 09:18 AM.
Ed Panther is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-25-2013, 07:26 PM   #9
CrastersBabies
all hail zombie babies!

CrastersBabies has a double-platinum reputationCrastersBabies has a double-platinum reputationCrastersBabies has a double-platinum reputationCrastersBabies has a double-platinum reputationCrastersBabies has a double-platinum reputationCrastersBabies has a double-platinum reputationCrastersBabies has a double-platinum reputation
Quote:
Originally Posted by Purple Rose View Post
Agree 100% with this post.

Also, The Color Purple - 11 nominations, not a single win. I thought Whoopi Goldberg was more deserving than Geraldine Page in A Trip to Bountiful; I thought the movie was more powerful, with a more compelling storyline than Out of Africa.
Spielberg didn't even get a nomination if I recall. Kind of a weird year.

The documentary The Basketball Diaries was also not nominated (pretty big snub). And I agree that Affleck should have been nominated for Argo and he would have frackin' won, too.
Old 02-25-2013, 08:45 PM   #10
AVS

AVS is a shiny, shiny jewelAVS is a shiny, shiny jewel
Yes very much agree. It was a travesty of the first order that Saving Private Ryan lost to the pleasant historic rom-com Shakespeare in Love.

I saw Saving Private Ryan at a cinema with a good sound system. The first twenty minutes is terrifying stuff.
Old 02-25-2013, 08:59 PM   #11
Zoombie
Vengeful Crystaline Hawk 45C
AW Moderator

Zoombie is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsZoombie is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsZoombie is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsZoombie is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsZoombie is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsZoombie is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsZoombie is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsZoombie is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsZoombie is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsZoombie is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsZoombie is so great that we've run out of appropriate compliments
The fact that The Thing (1984) didn't get best visual effects for 1984 is a crime.

True story, I was talking to a friend of mine about it and she had never seen it, never even heard of it. But I mentioned the "Oh you've gotta be fucking kidding me" scene (gory) and she immediately googled it. She watched it with headphones on.

Halfway through, she went, "OH MY GOD!" and covered her face with her hands, watching between her fingers. Then, "OH MY GOD!" a second time.

And I was like, "They're still pretty good, huh?"

And she was like, "OH MY GOD!" a third time. Then she said, "And now I really do understand the phrase kill it with fire..."

Shard Series: Worldshard (being beta'd), Lifeshard (done!), Soulshard (being planned)

Invasion 2071 (With Editors)

Read my blog: Quantum Spin Plates

BUY MY BOOK HERE!
Zoombie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-25-2013, 09:18 PM   #12
robeiae
AW's Foremost Intellecshual

robeiae is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsrobeiae is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsrobeiae is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsrobeiae is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsrobeiae is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsrobeiae is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsrobeiae is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsrobeiae is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsrobeiae is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsrobeiae is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsrobeiae is so great that we've run out of appropriate compliments
Quote:
Originally Posted by Zoombie View Post
The fact that The Thing (1984) didn't get best visual effects for 1984 is a crime.
Especially since it came out in 1982.

Which is hysterical, since I listed Bladerunner as being a 1984 film, as well, when it was also 1982....

Learning to run, T'ai Chi style--blogging about running and Eastern philosophy
Ponds of Happenstance--blogging about politics, economics, and history
Sailor on the Ponds--tweeting about everything

It's still June 27th, 1914

Breathing during a run: find your center and run from within
More on the Altra Zero Drop shoe
robeiae is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-25-2013, 10:50 PM   #13
Lavern08
When All Else Fails, Lavern ItŠ

Lavern08 is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsLavern08 is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsLavern08 is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsLavern08 is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsLavern08 is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsLavern08 is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsLavern08 is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsLavern08 is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsLavern08 is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsLavern08 is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsLavern08 is so great that we've run out of appropriate compliments
Quote:

I agree - He was brilliant.

(Yep, I'm a huge Johnny Cash fan)

Silent Rob:

I Lavern too... I started once, and now I just can't stop.

Kylabelle:

Laverning is how I get through the long days, mostly. (don't ask about the long nights, just don't)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Alleycat View Post
I need a good Laverning.
Quote:
Originally Posted by SWest View Post
Laverning is for lovers!
Quote:
Originally Posted by KellyAssauer View Post
I'd rather be Laverning
Quote:
Originally Posted by J.S.F. View Post
I'll be Laverning all of you sooner or later.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chrissy View Post
... I've *finally* been Laverned!!! It's even better than they said it would be!
Lavern08 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-26-2013, 12:01 AM   #14
Jersey Chick
Is it hot in here, or it just Hugh?

Jersey Chick is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsJersey Chick is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsJersey Chick is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsJersey Chick is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsJersey Chick is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsJersey Chick is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsJersey Chick is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsJersey Chick is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsJersey Chick is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsJersey Chick is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsJersey Chick is so great that we've run out of appropriate compliments
I always thought Ghostbusters was snubbed. Almost thirty years later and that movie is still as funny as it was when I saw it in the theaters - even if the effects are a little cheesy by today's standards.

Comedy is so hard to write and comedies don't win.

And Saving Private Ryan is one of the best movies ever made. Ever.

My books... Go ahead. You know you want to...

My Blog Facebook Twitter and last, but not least, my Website
Jersey Chick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-26-2013, 12:27 AM   #15
Zoombie
Vengeful Crystaline Hawk 45C
AW Moderator

Zoombie is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsZoombie is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsZoombie is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsZoombie is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsZoombie is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsZoombie is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsZoombie is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsZoombie is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsZoombie is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsZoombie is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsZoombie is so great that we've run out of appropriate compliments
Quote:
Originally Posted by robeiae View Post
Especially since it came out in 1982.

Which is hysterical, since I listed Bladerunner as being a 1984 film, as well, when it was also 1982....
Derp derp derp derp derp

Shard Series: Worldshard (being beta'd), Lifeshard (done!), Soulshard (being planned)

Invasion 2071 (With Editors)

Read my blog: Quantum Spin Plates

BUY MY BOOK HERE!
Zoombie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-26-2013, 01:57 AM   #16
CrastersBabies
all hail zombie babies!

CrastersBabies has a double-platinum reputationCrastersBabies has a double-platinum reputationCrastersBabies has a double-platinum reputationCrastersBabies has a double-platinum reputationCrastersBabies has a double-platinum reputationCrastersBabies has a double-platinum reputationCrastersBabies has a double-platinum reputation
Quote:
Originally Posted by AVS View Post
Yes very much agree. It was a travesty of the first order that Saving Private Ryan lost to the pleasant historic rom-com Shakespeare in Love.

I saw Saving Private Ryan at a cinema with a good sound system. The first twenty minutes is terrifying stuff.
Yeah, it was like after Schindler's List, Spielberg pissed someone off and hasn't won since. I think Saving Private Ryan should have won, as should have Lincoln, honestly. But, that's me.

Glad Argo got it, but I do think Lincoln should have won.
Old 02-26-2013, 02:05 AM   #17
Quantum1019

Quantum1019 is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by BradyH1861 View Post

I think John Wayne should have gotten one for The Searchers in 1956. One of the few movies where he actually acted.

Agreed! Even as someone who's generally not a fan of westerns, I find that The Searchers is one of my absolute favorite films, and one that I can watch over and over without getting tired of. John Wayne was superb in that.
Quantum1019 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-26-2013, 05:59 AM   #18
J.S.F.

J.S.F. is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsJ.S.F. is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsJ.S.F. is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsJ.S.F. is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsJ.S.F. is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsJ.S.F. is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsJ.S.F. is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsJ.S.F. is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsJ.S.F. is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsJ.S.F. is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsJ.S.F. is so great that we've run out of appropriate compliments
I have my own favorites, but the one thing I learned is, as Ben P said, you can't please everyone. It's very subjective, and yes, probably it's a matter of who knows whom in the biz.

This year, I couldn't really argue with who won (I didn't watch the ceremony, just read the list) as their performances were solid enough and that got them their wins. I don't get the 'Taylor Swift' shots at Anne Hathaway, but whatever. In Hollywood, to become famous, you have to be noticed, so the smiling for the cameras and the self-publicity seems the way to go.

Death Bytes is out! Go to DivineDestinies.com/Amazon.com.

Get ready for Master Fantastic.
---
You're not anyone at AW until you've received your banned certificate from Andre.
J.S.F. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-27-2013, 11:43 PM   #19
elindsen
A hottie in disguise

elindsen is better than ice cream with hot fudgeelindsen is better than ice cream with hot fudgeelindsen is better than ice cream with hot fudgeelindsen is better than ice cream with hot fudgeelindsen is better than ice cream with hot fudgeelindsen is better than ice cream with hot fudgeelindsen is better than ice cream with hot fudge
This year I thought Ted was snubbed. The visuals were awesome.
Library
Site

Anais Morgan
Facebook
Library
Blog

VampireNovellaSideProject 11,426/?
Heaven's Breath 34,584/40,000

elindsen is offline   Reply With Quote