Read Books By AWers!

Welcome to the AbsoluteWrite Water Cooler! Please read The Newbie Guide To Absolute Write

editing for authors ad

A publisher or agency using Google ads to solicit your novel probably isn't anyone you want to write for.

Go Back   Absolute Write Water Cooler > Publishing > Ask the Agent
Register FAQ Calendar Mark Forums Read

Old 02-24-2013, 11:48 PM   #1
kenthepen
practical experience, FTW

kenthepen is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentskenthepen is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentskenthepen is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentskenthepen is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentskenthepen is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentskenthepen is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentskenthepen is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentskenthepen is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentskenthepen is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentskenthepen is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentskenthepen is so great that we've run out of appropriate compliments
How did you gather Agent info to query?

Two years ago I finished my first novel and began querying agents. At the time, the best source for agent information seemed to be the AAR website. It was an incredibly tedious project; find an agent who repped my genre, go to the agency website, sift through the individual agents, then query the appropriate agent for that agency.

Over a period of nine months, I queried 50-60 agents, with little interest, so I decided to e-publish my novel. A few months later, I also e-published my sequel. Now I'm on the verge of finishing my third novel, a stand-alone work, and have decided to subject myself to that agonizing process again.(I think my new work is more commercially viable)

Is there a better way to go about this? Is there a more complete or succinct list somewhere? What did you do?

I would appreciate any and all responses.

Severe allergic reaction to the slightest traces of reality

Kenneth Folta available on Smashwords
kenthepen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-24-2013, 11:52 PM   #2
stormie
storm central

stormie is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsstormie is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsstormie is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsstormie is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsstormie is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsstormie is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsstormie is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsstormie is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsstormie is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsstormie is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsstormie is so great that we've run out of appropriate compliments
agentquery.com

Excellent site!

An Interview

BLOG BLOG BLOG

Last edited by stormie; 02-24-2013 at 11:54 PM. Reason: link
stormie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-25-2013, 01:50 AM   #3
MrsBrommers

MrsBrommers has earned our admirationMrsBrommers has earned our admirationMrsBrommers has earned our admirationMrsBrommers has earned our admiration
Querytracker is another very good site. Search for agents who rep your genre. If there are books in your genre that you enjoy, find out who reps that author. I used the above method, and if there was an agent who seemed like a particularly good fit (like they repped multiple authors I liked), then I dug a little deeper to find interviews or whatnot to get a better sense or perhaps more current idea of his/her taste. It's tedious, yes, and there really isn't much a shortcut. Good luck!
Magical realism (off with awesome agent)

http://www.sarah-bromley.com
http://www.twitter.com/Sarah_Bromley
http://www.facebook.com/authorsarahbromley
MrsBrommers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-25-2013, 02:11 AM   #4
AshleyEpidemic
Azarath Metrion Zinthos

AshleyEpidemic is a shiny, shiny jewelAshleyEpidemic is a shiny, shiny jewel
The two mentioned sites are great as I have been compiling my list to use when I query. I check on here in the bewares room to confirm the agency is legitimate. I also look on writers digest any time a new agent alert is put up. Even if the agent listed doesn't rep my genre I go to the agency site to see if another agent does. I haven't sent out a single query and I've put in at least a days worth of research already.
AshleyEpidemic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-25-2013, 03:14 AM   #5
JSSchley
Have Harp Will Travel

JSSchley is a glorious beacon of lightJSSchley is a glorious beacon of light
I've found a lot of great info in the blogosphere and twitter, but gathering it is more time consuming and ad-hoc. I have a spreadsheet I continually update with agents that look promising, along with a note and/or hyperlink about where I found out about them.
Old 02-25-2013, 04:13 AM   #6
kenthepen

kenthepen is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentskenthepen is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentskenthepen is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentskenthepen is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentskenthepen is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentskenthepen is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentskenthepen is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentskenthepen is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentskenthepen is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentskenthepen is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentskenthepen is so great that we've run out of appropriate compliments
Thanks! That should be enough to keep me off the street for weeks.

Severe allergic reaction to the slightest traces of reality

Kenneth Folta available on Smashwords
kenthepen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-27-2013, 03:08 PM   #7
Aardvark
New Fish; Learning About Thick Skin

Aardvark is on a distinguished road
This may not be relevant, as I'm UK based rather than US, but I found a couple of links which gave some recommendations and quick links to reputable agents:

http://www.williamsenpublications.co...carol_wyer.xls

http://www.literaryrejections.com/uk-literary-agencies/

I'm sure there are some out there similar for US agents - I didn't want to scatter gun and thought it would be better to target the most appropriate / reputable agents.

Last edited by Aardvark; 02-27-2013 at 03:13 PM.
Aardvark is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-01-2013, 02:27 AM   #8
Axordil
Is this thing on?

Axordil is on a distinguished road
QueryTracker.net worked for me.
Old 03-01-2013, 05:10 AM   #9
ARoyce
Hopeful romantic/hopeless pedant

ARoyce is a shiny, shiny jewelARoyce is a shiny, shiny jewel
Another vote for www.querytracker.net--which is also great for keeping track of the queries you've sent and the responses you've received.

Web site ~ Twitter ~ Facebook
ARoyce is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-01-2013, 06:43 AM   #10
Axordil
Is this thing on?

Axordil is on a distinguished road
An added cavaet: both Agent Query and Query Tracker are excellent *starting points* for research. QT has the bonus of the tracking features, so you don't need a spreadsheet of your own. But once you have winnowed the field, you still need to hit up agency sites, agent blogs, agent Twitter streams, (and even AAR listings) to get the best possible picture. The lists of who reps whom can be especially illuminating as to agent tastes within broader genres.

You probably know that, but in case someone new is reading, there it is for them.
Old 03-01-2013, 07:05 AM   #11
Purple Rose

Purple Rose is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsPurple Rose is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsPurple Rose is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsPurple Rose is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsPurple Rose is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsPurple Rose is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsPurple Rose is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsPurple Rose is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsPurple Rose is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsPurple Rose is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsPurple Rose is so great that we've run out of appropriate compliments
Quote:
Originally Posted by Aardvark View Post
This may not be relevant, as I'm UK based rather than US, but I found a couple of links which gave some recommendations and quick links to reputable agents:

http://www.williamsenpublications.co...carol_wyer.xls

http://www.literaryrejections.com/uk-literary-agencies/
Thank you, Aardvark, for the link. Excellent information. Shame that it's only for London agencies, though. There are quite a few based in Edinburgh, I believe. I did not come across the above links in my searches and ended up subscribing to the listings on Writers & Artists. I haven't gone through them yet. Wish I'd seen your post sooner!!! Thanks again.
Old 03-01-2013, 07:09 AM   #12
F.L.N
The Old Curmudgeon

F.L.N is on a distinguished road
I'm still developing my data but I began a database and loaded all pertinent info into the database. The first time it took me two to four hours average to identify an agent and fill in the data. I included the website so I can confirm my data quickly. This morning I queried ten agents and had plenty of time to do other things.
Before going into battle, Vikings would ingest Amanita muscaria. In addition to being moderately poisonous, Amanita muscaria eliminated fear causing them to be feared warriors earning Vikings the nick name berserkers
F.L.N is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-02-2013, 06:41 PM   #13
stormie
storm central

stormie is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsstormie is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsstormie is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsstormie is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsstormie is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsstormie is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsstormie is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsstormie is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsstormie is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsstormie is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsstormie is so great that we've run out of appropriate compliments
I know I mentioned agentquery.com, but I forgot to add that with whatever site you use to research agents, it should go without saying to click through to the agent's website and also do an online search re: the agency and agent. It's time consuming but well worth it. (Also, check here on AW re: agents and agencies.)

An Interview

BLOG BLOG BLOG
stormie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-03-2013, 12:42 AM   #14
Rhoda Nightingale
Vampire Junkie

Rhoda Nightingale is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsRhoda Nightingale is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsRhoda Nightingale is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsRhoda Nightingale is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsRhoda Nightingale is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsRhoda Nightingale is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsRhoda Nightingale is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsRhoda Nightingale is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsRhoda Nightingale is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsRhoda Nightingale is so great that we've run out of appropriate compliments
Another vote for the two major sites listed above (although QT was really confusing for me--I can't seem to navigate it), and also you might pull some of your favorite books from the shelf--ones in the genre you write in--and check the acknowledgments page. Most authors put a "thank you" for their agents and editors in there somewhere.

Blog: http://glitter-n-gore.livejournal.com/
Rhoda Nightingale is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 03-03-2013, 01:12 AM   #15
RRK
Dystopia-Obsessed

RRK has a spectacular auraRRK has a spectacular aura
You can also get a membership for Publishers Marketplace for roughly $20/month (although I think it went up recently). That site lets you look at which agents have made deals in your genre and has some other useful features such as listing the top dealmakers by genre.
Old 03-03-2013, 02:36 AM   #16
bettielee
Just a regular Fairy Princess

bettielee is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsbettielee is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsbettielee is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsbettielee is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsbettielee is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsbettielee is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsbettielee is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsbettielee is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsbettielee is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsbettielee is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsbettielee is so great that we've run out of appropriate compliments
Yep, querytracker and then I went to the agent's website. Most of them have one. I kept a "file" for each one. You get a lot of info of what they want to see in a query, and it's usually the most up to date - they may not update query tracker or where ever you find them. The most reliable info is on their own site!

I also would google them. See if they have given any interviews where they say what they want to see in a query. The agent wants to know that you know who they are, you know?

Currently NaNoing: The Heroine from Hampshire - gothic romance maybe... kinda

To edit:
The Vampire Baron - gothic romance - needs editing
Nocturnelle - gothic romance - first draft
The Last Hunter - fantasy - soaking
Endways of the Gods - fantasy mish/mash - might be garbage

To Betas
Dreadlight - Urban Fantasy

Writing Blog: New Years and SHERLOCK LIVES!

Books with Bettielee Blog: taking a break from the bookblog....

Twitter

bettielee is offline   Reply With Quote