Read Books By AWers!

Welcome to the AbsoluteWrite Water Cooler! Please read The Newbie Guide To Absolute Write

editing for authors ad

A publisher or agency using Google ads to solicit your novel probably isn't anyone you want to write for.

Go Back   Absolute Write Water Cooler > Pop Culture > AW Bookclub
Register FAQ Calendar Mark Forums Read

Old 02-19-2013, 11:41 PM   #1
Elaine Margarett
High and Dry

Elaine Margarett should run for PresidentElaine Margarett should run for PresidentElaine Margarett should run for PresidentElaine Margarett should run for PresidentElaine Margarett should run for PresidentElaine Margarett should run for President
Trying to Remember a Book

The first book I read where I became aware of the beauty of the written word was a book by Even Hunter (I think) about a blind MC. It followed his life from the time he was seven or so through adulthood, along with his rising career as a pianist. I could have sworn it was called Streets of Gold, but when I recently tried googling it I came up flat.

I was twelve when I read it, purloined from a stack of library books my father had. After that I read everything I could get my hands on by Hunter. Previously, I read books according to the story. This one book gave me a whole new appreciation for the art of storytelling.

So am I imagining this? Does anyone recognize the story? Maybe I have the author wrong.

Last edited by Elaine Margarett; 02-19-2013 at 11:56 PM.
Elaine Margarett is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-19-2013, 11:43 PM   #2
alleycat
Be afraid . . .
SuperModerator

alleycat is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsalleycat is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsalleycat is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsalleycat is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsalleycat is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsalleycat is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsalleycat is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsalleycat is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsalleycat is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsalleycat is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsalleycat is so great that we've run out of appropriate compliments
Probably Evan Hunter.

alleycat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-19-2013, 11:48 PM   #3
cornflake
practical experience, FTW

cornflake is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentscornflake is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentscornflake is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentscornflake is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentscornflake is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentscornflake is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentscornflake is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentscornflake is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentscornflake is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentscornflake is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentscornflake is so great that we've run out of appropriate compliments
Streets of Gold, by Evan Hunter. It's out of print but certainly available. About a blind pianist in Harlem.

Amazon link.

The half.com link (where it's considerably cheaper)
cornflake is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-19-2013, 11:50 PM   #4
alleycat
Be afraid . . .
SuperModerator

alleycat is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsalleycat is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsalleycat is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsalleycat is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsalleycat is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsalleycat is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsalleycat is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsalleycat is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsalleycat is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsalleycat is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsalleycat is so great that we've run out of appropriate compliments
A personal note . . .

I got an autographed copy of one of Hunter's book to give as a gift one year. He died a short time after that.

alleycat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-19-2013, 11:53 PM   #5
Elaine Margarett
High and Dry

Elaine Margarett should run for PresidentElaine Margarett should run for PresidentElaine Margarett should run for PresidentElaine Margarett should run for PresidentElaine Margarett should run for PresidentElaine Margarett should run for President
Quote:
Originally Posted by alleycat View Post
Probably Evan Hunter.
<SNORK!> It would help if I spelled the poor man's name correctly!

EM,
Queen of the typos
Old 02-19-2013, 11:55 PM   #6
Elaine Margarett
High and Dry

Wink

Thanks, I found it. <g>

It left quite the impression on me. I went from reading The Black Stallion to Evan Hunter and never looked back.