Read Books By AWers!

Welcome to the AbsoluteWrite Water Cooler! Please read The Newbie Guide To Absolute Write

editing for authors ad

A publisher or agency using Google ads to solicit your novel probably isn't anyone you want to write for.

Go Back   Absolute Write Water Cooler > Discussion > AW Roundtable
Register FAQ Calendar Mark Forums Read

Old 02-13-2013, 05:26 PM   #1
onesecondglance
pretending to be awake

onesecondglance is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsonesecondglance is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsonesecondglance is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsonesecondglance is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsonesecondglance is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsonesecondglance is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsonesecondglance is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsonesecondglance is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsonesecondglance is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsonesecondglance is so great that we've run out of appropriate compliments
Hatchet Job Of The Year

http://www.hatchetjoboftheyear.com/

Quote:
The Hatchet Job of the Year Award is for the writer of the angriest, funniest, most trenchant book review of the past twelve months. It aims to raise the profile of professional critics and to promote integrity and wit in literary journalism.
I don't know how I'd feel if I were on the receiving end of one of these, but damn, some of them aren't half funny.

Some of them step too far into criticising the author rather than their work for me, but given that some of the books reviewed are memoirs, that line is quite blurred. And all the reviewers at least attempt to offer evidence for their assertions.

What do you think?

I write music. | I gave in and joined twitter. | And I have a blog too.
onesecondglance is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-13-2013, 08:19 PM   #2
James D. Macdonald
Your Genial Uncle
Absolute Sage

James D. Macdonald is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsJames D. Macdonald is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsJames D. Macdonald is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsJames D. Macdonald is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsJames D. Macdonald is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsJames D. Macdonald is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsJames D. Macdonald is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsJames D. Macdonald is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsJames D. Macdonald is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsJames D. Macdonald is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsJames D. Macdonald is so great that we've run out of appropriate compliments
The only thing worse than a bad review is no review at all.
Old 02-13-2013, 08:20 PM   #3
Torgo
Formerly Phantom of Krankor.
AW Moderator

Torgo is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsTorgo is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsTorgo is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsTorgo is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsTorgo is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsTorgo is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsTorgo is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsTorgo is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsTorgo is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsTorgo is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsTorgo is so great that we've run out of appropriate compliments
Quote:
Originally Posted by James D. Macdonald View Post
Oh yeah?
Torgo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-13-2013, 08:33 PM   #4
James D. Macdonald
Your Genial Uncle
Absolute Sage

James D. Macdonald is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsJames D. Macdonald is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsJames D. Macdonald is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsJames D. Macdonald is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsJames D. Macdonald is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsJames D. Macdonald is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsJames D. Macdonald is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsJames D. Macdonald is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsJames D. Macdonald is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsJames D. Macdonald is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsJames D. Macdonald is so great that we've run out of appropriate compliments
Yeah.

A hardcover edition, a bargain hardcover edition, a paperback edition, and a spoken-word edition. Decent sales over the past decade.

So, much as that review may have stung (if the author were foolish enough to have read it), I expect that more people bought it to see if it was that big a train wreck than didn't buy when they otherwise might have because of this review.

When thinking of readers scanning the bookstore shelves don't underestimate the "yeah, I've heard of that one" reaction as a positive sales force.
Old 02-13-2013, 08:34 PM   #5
Torgo
Formerly Phantom of Krankor.
AW Moderator

Torgo is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsTorgo is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsTorgo is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsTorgo is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsTorgo is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsTorgo is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsTorgo is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsTorgo is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsTorgo is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsTorgo is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsTorgo is so great that we've run out of appropriate compliments
Quote:
Yeah.

A hardcover edition, a bargain hardcover edition, a paperback edition, and a spoken-word edition. Decent sales over the past decade.

So, much as that review may have stung (if the author were foolish enough to have read it), I expect that more people bought it to see if it was that big a train wreck than didn't buy when they otherwise might have because of this review.

When thinking of readers scanning the bookstore shelves don't underestimate the "yeah, I've heard of that one" reaction as a positive sales force.
No, you're right. I've been looking out for a copy of that for years now.
Torgo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-13-2013, 09:05 PM   #6
onesecondglance
pretending to be awake

onesecondglance is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsonesecondglance is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsonesecondglance is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsonesecondglance is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsonesecondglance is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsonesecondglance is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsonesecondglance is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsonesecondglance is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsonesecondglance is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsonesecondglance is so great that we've run out of appropriate compliments
Quote:
Originally Posted by Torgo View Post
That's truly deserving of the epithet EPIC.

I write music. | I gave in and joined twitter. | And I have a blog too.
onesecondglance is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-13-2013, 09:07 PM   #7
PortableHal
Not-so-new

PortableHal has a spectacular aura
Quote:
Thanks for the link! I needed the laugh today....
Old 02-13-2013, 10:19 PM   #8
Phaeal
Whatever I did, I didn't do it.

Phaeal is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsPhaeal is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsPhaeal is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsPhaeal is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsPhaeal is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsPhaeal is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsPhaeal is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsPhaeal is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsPhaeal is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsPhaeal is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsPhaeal is so great that we've run out of appropriate compliments
Yeah, but....unlike on Goodreads, none of those reviews featured GIFs from various TV shows and LOLcats.

And so it goes.

Follow me on TWITTER: https://twitter.com/AnneMPillsworth

Last edited by Phaeal; 02-14-2013 at 02:55 AM.
Phaeal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-13-2013, 11:06 PM   #9
Buffysquirrel
Possibly not a real squirrel

Buffysquirrel is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsBuffysquirrel is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsBuffysquirrel is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsBuffysquirrel is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsBuffysquirrel is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsBuffysquirrel is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsBuffysquirrel is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsBuffysquirrel is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsBuffysquirrel is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsBuffysquirrel is so great that we've run out of appropriate compliments
Those gifs really annoy me. Fortunately, I can zap them with my adblocker.
Writing from a female point of view seems to be generally regarded as something more like writing from the perspective of a deer: you might get points for novelty, but it'd be impossible to get right, and who really wants to hear a deer narrate a story, anyway? Jennifer duBois

Self-sacrifice is vile. Joanna Russ

The Little Dog Laughed
Buffysquirrel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-14-2013, 12:49 AM   #10
Zaffiro
New Fish; Learning About Thick Skin

Zaffiro is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Ow ow ow ow omigod OW.

I really hope that if the guy started reading that, he got as far as 'it's printed on really nice paper' and decided that would be a good moment to put it down.
Zaffiro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-14-2013, 02:57 AM   #11
Phaeal
Whatever I did, I didn't do it.

Phaeal is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsPhaeal is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsPhaeal is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsPhaeal is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsPhaeal is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsPhaeal is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsPhaeal is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsPhaeal is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsPhaeal is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsPhaeal is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsPhaeal is so great that we've run out of appropriate compliments
Quote:
Originally Posted by Buffysquirrel View Post
Those gifs really annoy me. Fortunately, I can zap them with my adblocker.
Actually, none of the "Hatchet Job" books was likely to get a lot of Goodread GIFs. They were all far, far too serious.

Unless there's an LOLcat that's all "Lit'ry kitteh iz not amused." Or "Lit'ry kitteh can haz cheezburger and plotz?"

And so it goes.

Follow me on TWITTER: https://twitter.com/AnneMPillsworth

Phaeal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-14-2013, 05:27 AM   #12
MumblingSage
Inarticulate Herb

MumblingSage should run for PresidentMumblingSage should run for PresidentMumblingSage should run for PresidentMumblingSage should run for PresidentMumblingSage should run for PresidentMumblingSage should run for President
It looks like the receivers of these Hatchet Jobs are well-established and successful by most any standard already. I don't pity them (much).
Currently: Juggling multiple WIPs, including sequels
Love Stories on Tumblr/Library
Current projects: Editing the historical that came out of nowhere
MumblingSage is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-14-2013, 05:29 AM   #13
Gravity
Seen 'em come, seen 'em go

Location: Once you've heard the truth, everything else is just cheap whiskey.
Gravity is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsGravity is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsGravity is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsGravity is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsGravity is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsGravity is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsGravity is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsGravity is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsGravity is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsGravity is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsGravity is so great that we've run out of appropriate compliments
Quote:
THAT'S the God's honest truth, Unk.

commercially published: Abyss, Until the Last Dog Dies, When Skylarks Fall, To Skin a Cat, and Last Call

agent Chip MacGregor presently querying: Pitfall

http://www.johnrobinsonbooks.com

http://www.johnrobinsonbooks.com/blog.htm
check out my blog; c'mon, you know you want to.
Gravity is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-14-2013, 06:51 AM   #14
Layla Nahar
Seashell Seller

Layla Nahar should run for PresidentLayla Nahar should run for PresidentLayla Nahar should run for PresidentLayla Nahar should run for PresidentLayla Nahar should run for PresidentLayla Nahar should run for President
Why give someone an award for being mean?
(I sound like my mother now...)
Old 02-16-2013, 02:43 AM   #15
johnhallow
Hello? Eat my tarts?

johnhallow is well-respected
Great, so now they get awards for ripping our stories a new one, too...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Phaeal View Post
Yeah, but....unlike on Goodreads, none of those reviews featured GIFs from various TV shows and LOLcats.

Half of the reviews on GR are by people desperate to make each other laugh, which completely sucks balls for the folks who want unbiased opinions and any weak-willed authors who succumb to the urge to read their one-star reviews. The GIFs are an extra kick in the teeth :P

Quote:
I think that explains the distant scream I heard that autumn.

"Ask not the sparrow how the eagle soars!"
Satsuki Kiryuin
johnhallow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-16-2013, 03:18 AM   #16
thebloodfiend
Cory

thebloodfiend is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsthebloodfiend is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsthebloodfiend is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsthebloodfiend is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsthebloodfiend is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsthebloodfiend is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsthebloodfiend is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsthebloodfiend is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsthebloodfiend is so great that we've run out of appropriate compliments
Quote:
Originally Posted by johnhallow View Post
Half of the reviews on GR are by people desperate to make each other laugh, which completely sucks balls for the folks who want unbiased opinions and any weak-willed authors who succumb to the urge to read their one-star reviews. The GIFs are an extra kick in the teeth :P
Dude. What's wrong with a laugh? Granted, GIFs get old, but if used right, they are really, quite funny. Appropriate GIF usage is an art.

And there's no such thing as an unbiased opinion. Show me one, and I'll show you a liar.
thebloodfiend is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-17-2013, 08:06 AM   #17
James D. Macdonald
Your Genial Uncle
Absolute Sage

That review of The Book of Kings was mentioned here three days and twelve hours ago.

Novelrank.com tells me that Amazon sold a copy of The Book of Kings three days and ten hours ago.

Coincidence?
Old 02-17-2013, 04:59 PM   #18
Samantha Lane
practical experience, FTW

Samantha Lane is a shiny, shiny jewelSamantha Lane is a shiny, shiny jewel
Quote:
That was my thought as I read it.

Unfortunately for the author, I was not tempted beyond the initial thought.

Samantha Lane is offline   Reply With Quote