Read Books By AWers!

Welcome to the AbsoluteWrite Water Cooler! Please read The Newbie Guide To Absolute Write

editing for authors ad

A publisher or agency using Google ads to solicit your novel probably isn't anyone you want to write for.

Go Back   Absolute Write Water Cooler > General Writing Interest > Basic Writing Questions
Register FAQ Calendar Mark Forums Read

Old 02-13-2013, 04:50 AM   #1
Ashwood
supercalifragilisticexpia lidocious

Ashwood is well-respected
Trend I've noticed: More than one project at a time

I have one story I'm working on. It completely takes up my free-time. I am compelled to get it out of my head and onto paper.

But so many of you are working on more than one story. I'm so utterly impressed! I mean, I do have multiple ideas, but if I focus on more than one at a time, I'd go bonkers!

How do you guy guys do it?
Ashwood is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-13-2013, 04:51 AM   #2
srgalactica
practical experience, FTW

srgalactica is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ashwood View Post
I have one story I'm working on. It completely takes up my free-time. I am compelled to get it out of my head and onto paper.

But so many of you are working on more than one story. I'm so utterly impressed! I mean, I do have multiple ideas, but if I focus on more than one at a time, I'd go bonkers!

I'm like you. I have lots of ideas, but I have to focus on one project at a time.

srgalactica is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-13-2013, 04:57 AM   #3
Finis

Finis has a spectacular aura
It's the cool off period.

Write like a mad(wo)man.
Stick it in a drawer.
Write something else.
Stick that in a drawer.
Come back to the first one in a month. Revise. Be writing something else.
Finish first revision of first one. Put it in a drawer. Pull out second one. Still be writing the third.
Revise second one. Finish Third. Stick it in a drawer. Start side project writing a short for a contest.
Stick second projects first revision in a drawer. Pull third project out, revise. start finding beta readers for #1. Start Query letter for #1. Finish short story for context, do cursory edit. Stick it in a drawer.
Finish revision of third project. Get feed back from first project, start revisions. Find beta readers for 2nd project. Start revising short story for context. Begin outlining project #4 to figure out if you need to do some research on 12th century shoe designs or if you can get away with writing "clogs" 100 times. Polish Query for #1

... etc.
Old 02-13-2013, 05:13 AM   #4
Layla Nahar
Seashell Seller

Layla Nahar should run for PresidentLayla Nahar should run for PresidentLayla Nahar should run for PresidentLayla Nahar should run for PresidentLayla Nahar should run for PresidentLayla Nahar should run for President
I only work on one project at a time, through to completion. I have tried working on simultaneous or parallel projects (eg - work on one story in the am, the other in the PM - rather than switching among stories), and may do it again. If I have extra ideas I make a mental note. If the idea is really worthwhile, it will keep.
Old 02-13-2013, 05:14 AM   #5
sarawrites
rolling up her sleeves

sarawrites is on a distinguished road
I got a lot of practice in college. I was a Creative Writing major, with a specialty in Fiction. I was writing on different projects in every class. It was certainly hard. It seemed like one work would get the majority of my love and I'd just go through the motions with the others.

Now that I'm out of school, my focus is pretty singular on my new YA novel project. That doesn't mean I might not dabble in some short fiction while I write it, but I'm really digging this project, so I think it's gonna get all my lovin'.

War Torn #1: Planning! Roughly snowflaking at step 5.

Reading: Mystic City by Theo Lawrence

Knitting: TGV
sarawrites is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-13-2013, 05:32 AM   #6
VanessaNorth
Purple hair, not prose.

VanessaNorth is a glorious beacon of lightVanessaNorth is a glorious beacon of light
I always work on multiple projects. It's my happy place. If I don't feel like working on the dragon thing with its three POVs and weird-ass worldbuilding, I can work on my next wiccan haus book. If I don't want to work on the WH book, the dragons are ready and waiting. If I don't want to work on either of those, I can convince my cowriter that we need to make progress on our contemporary romance.

And when all else fails, there's that space opera thing which might never sell and yet might be the finest thing I've ever written. Lotsa love for that too.
VanessaNorth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-13-2013, 05:49 AM   #7
saizine
follow your bliss

saizine is on a distinguished road
I actively work on one project at a time. I try and finish one draft before I move on to another, so while I'm writing the draft of one project that's it as far as full-length drafts go. But I can't stop my mind from coming up with possible ideas for future projects, or possible dialogue/details for future projects that I've already decided to work on after I've finished my current draft. I make note of these ideas, write them down quickly once I think of them, but then move straight back to the first project.

I also tend to move on to my next project when I'm letting the previous draft sit, though that is generally outlining. So I'll work on outlining my next project for a week or two while the previous one sits, then move back to editing the draft while letting the outline sit. It's all rotation, for me. I work actively on one project, but I 'subconsciously' work on multiple projects.
saizine is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-13-2013, 06:16 AM   #8
Beachgirl
Misbehaving and stuff

Beachgirl leaves trails of profuse coolnessBeachgirl leaves trails of profuse coolnessBeachgirl leaves trails of profuse coolnessBeachgirl leaves trails of profuse coolnessBeachgirl leaves trails of profuse coolness
I work on one project until it's finished. However, when the suggested edits come in from my editor I drop whatever I'm doing, take care of the edits, then pick back up where I left off. Of course, that means that I might be working on two or three different things within the same week or two. But I don't switch back and forth between different mss during the writing phase.

BookStrand Amazon Blog Twitter AW Library

WIPs by Scarlet Day:
Shifter Sanctuary 2: Reclaimed

WIPs by as-yet-to-be-determined name(s):
Flip Flops Optional (Contemporary Romantic Comedy)
Saltwater Insanity (Satirical Crime Fiction)
Beachgirl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-13-2013, 06:18 AM   #9
Polenth
Mushroom

Polenth is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsPolenth is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsPolenth is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsPolenth is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsPolenth is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsPolenth is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsPolenth is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsPolenth is so great that we've run out of appropriate compliments
I work on several projects at once, but there's no special way of doing so. It's just how my mind works.

Website | Blog | Twitter | Goodreads
Sunstruck - Bigfoot Urban Fantasy Novel
Polenth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-13-2013, 06:19 AM   #10
Dorky

Dorky has a spectacular aura
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ashwood View Post
I can work on one story at a time sometimes, but the time I can spend on them is very short. A lot of the time, I have to skip around from story to story. It’s hard for me to explain, but it’s goes this:

1) Work on story A
2) While writing story A, I get an idea for story B or finally figure out that annoying passage in B
3) Try to continue A while mentally filing away info (or jotting down notes) for B
4) B pounds away at the inside of my head until I can no longer work on A
5) Give up on A, work on B
6) Story C scratches at the inside of my head until I give up on B
7) Move from B to C
8) A knocks on my brain
9) Move from C to A
10) Repeat forever

Basically, I go bonkers if I don’t switch when that happens. Forcing myself to work on one story is hard, and I burn out much quicker that way.

Occasionally though, I can get into this total “write awesomely” zone that allows me to work on one story for a few months all at once. It’s nice.
Old 02-13-2013, 07:06 AM   #11
JustSarah
Go For Apprentice

JustSarah is well-respected
Well I actually do lots and lots of related side stories as part of a world building exercise that wont be in the final novel.

Reading
Negative Trait Thesaurus

Skull-Fairy Dance
Character Illustrations
JustSarah is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-13-2013, 07:07 AM   #12
hlynn117

hlynn117 is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by sarawrites View Post
I got a lot of practice in college. I was a Creative Writing major, with a specialty in Fiction. I was writing on different projects in every class. It was certainly hard. It seemed like one work would get the majority of my love and I'd just go through the motions with the others.
It's like this for me, too. I start a bunch of projects together, write them, and love one more than the others. That's the one I edit and work on the hardest. The others? There's something not really working with them, so I'll come back to them later. Also, the notebook of plots and rando ideas sits on my desk, waiting to be used.
hlynn117 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-13-2013, 07:32 AM   #13
LJD

LJD leaves trails of profuse coolnessLJD leaves trails of profuse coolnessLJD leaves trails of profuse coolnessLJD leaves trails of profuse coolnessLJD leaves trails of profuse coolness
I switch up between drafts, so I'm not truly working on multiple projects at once, even though I have several WIPs.
LJD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-13-2013, 07:48 AM   #14
TMCan

TMCan is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dorky View Post

1) Work on story A
2) While writing story A, I get an idea for story B or finally figure out that annoying passage in B
3) Try to continue A while mentally filing away info (or jotting down notes) for B
7) Move from B to C
8) A knocks on my brain
9) Move from C to A
10) Repeat forever

Basically, I go bonkers if I don’t switch when that happens.
This is exactly how my brain works. I am currently giving all of my focus to one novel, but I have been working on the preliminaries for my next project. I'm surprised I am even able to focus that much on a single work.
  • Semester to Trimester *NA short story*
  • Song in My Heart *romance* (on back burner while figuring out plot issues)

My blog

I also tweet
TMCan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-13-2013, 08:06 AM   #15
JustinlDew
Shortest Query Winner.

JustinlDew is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dorky View Post
I can work on one story at a time sometimes, but the time I can spend on them is very short. A lot of the time, I have to skip around from story to story. It’s hard for me to explain, but it’s goes this:

1) Work on story A
7) Move from B to C
8) A knocks on my brain
9) Move from C to A
10) Repeat forever

Basically, I go bonkers if I don’t switch when that happens. Forcing myself to work on one story is hard, and I burn out much quicker that way.

Occasionally though, I can get into this total “write awesomely” zone that allows me to work on one story for a few months all at once. It’s nice.
You've just described my creative process. That's oddly creepy.
Groundhog Day Indiana Jones Fantasy: 8000/100000 Steampunk: Editing! Modern Fantasy: Rewriting. Epic Fantasy: Outlined. Urban Fantasy: Trunked.
JustinlDew is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-13-2013, 08:19 AM   #16
Putputt
boop boop

Putputt is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsPutputt is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsPutputt is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsPutputt is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsPutputt is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsPutputt is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsPutputt is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsPutputt is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsPutputt is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsPutputt is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsPutputt is so great that we've run out of appropriate compliments
I can only work on one project at a time. I'm in the editing stage of my current WIP and I can't work on anything else until it's in the hands of my agent. I took a couple of days off to work on a short story for the Valentine's Day Challenge and the whole time I felt like I was betraying my WIP.

So don't worry, it's not just you. You work the way you work, don't worry 'bout how other writers do it.
me: what weird sexytimes stuff have i asked for!!!!!

corny
: you know...

when you wanted me to....
use my edges to...
"scratch your itch"

Twitter

Repped by SLA
Putputt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-13-2013, 08:44 AM   #17
ladyleeona
fluently sarcastic grandma offender

ladyleeona is a splendid one to beholdladyleeona is a splendid one to beholdladyleeona is a splendid one to behold
I usually only work on one project at a time, but always have multiple projects at various stages of completion on hand. I have switched between them a few times, but only when I got really stuck on my primary project. A little time with a secondary project and a solution to the primary's problem usually pops in unbidden.

Support equal education for women: #WeAreGirlRising
www.girlrising.com
ladyleeona is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-13-2013, 08:50 AM   #18
CatchingADragon
dragon seeker

CatchingADragon is on a distinguished road
I've tried to resist starting new projects while in the middle of another as I have a horrible habit of not finishing things, which I'm trying to break. Plenty of partially-finished and abandoned novels littering my hard drive.

But I do allow myself to plot out potential future projects, and I will probably start writing my next project while editing the one I just finished. I'm just trying not to abandon projects during the writing phase, because of my habit of never returning to them.
Old 02-13-2013, 09:20 AM   #19
lolchemist
Shooting stars.

lolchemist has earned our admirationlolchemist has earned our admirationlolchemist has earned our admirationlolchemist has earned our admiration
For me I've come to the point where I am just FORCING MYSELF to only work on story #1 and that's it. I do have a word doc always open for emergencies when a scene from another just vomits itself out of me against my will. The other thing is, if story #2 really wants to come out right now, I'm not going to 'not allow' myself to write it, sometimes I do put\story #1 'on vacation' and spend time with story #2. You have to go with the flow. But a little discipline goes a long way.

Current WIP (YA Contemporary) - Book 1: 32,958 of 90,000 X Book 2: 40,359 of 90,000
Current WIP (YA Fantasy) - Book 1: 68,055 of 75,000 x Book 2:
10,512 of 75,000
x Book 3:
09,962 of 75,000 x Book 4:
12,490 of 75,000
lolchemist is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-13-2013, 09:30 AM   #20
JulianneQJohnson
has no socks

JulianneQJohnson leaves trails of profuse coolnessJulianneQJohnson leaves trails of profuse coolnessJulianneQJohnson leaves trails of profuse coolnessJulianneQJohnson leaves trails of profuse coolnessJulianneQJohnson leaves trails of profuse coolness
I only work on one novel length fiction at a time. I may think about the next one, and get the plot straight in my head, but it waits until the previous one is done and reread.

I do sometimes pause a novel to write a short story for something.

Pictures and Words- my writing blog

Or join me on Tumblr

JulianneQJohnson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-13-2013, 11:15 AM   #21
Bec de Corbin
figuring it all out

Bec de Corbin is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by Finis View Post
It's the cool off period.

Write like a mad(wo)man.
Stick it in a drawer.
Write something else.
Stick that in a drawer.
Come back to the first one in a month. Revise. Be writing something else.
Finish first revision of first one. Put it in a drawer. Pull out second one. Still be writing the third.
Revise second one. Finish Third. Stick it in a drawer. Start side project writing a short for a contest.
Stick second projects first revision in a drawer. Pull third project out, revise. start finding beta readers for #1. Start Query letter for #1. Finish short story for context, do cursory edit. Stick it in a drawer.
Finish revision of third project. Get feed back from first project, start revisions. Find beta readers for 2nd project. Start revising short story for context. Begin outlining project #4 to figure out if you need to do some research on 12th century shoe designs or if you can get away with writing "clogs" 100 times. Polish Query for #1

... etc.
I am getting to this point. The more the merrier!
Bec de Corbin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-13-2013, 11:59 AM   #22
Mr Flibble
They've been very bad, Mr Flibble

Location: We couldn't possibly do that. Who'd clear up the mess?
Mr Flibble is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsMr Flibble is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsMr Flibble is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsMr Flibble is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsMr Flibble is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsMr Flibble is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsMr Flibble is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsMr Flibble is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsMr Flibble is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsMr Flibble is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsMr Flibble is so great that we've run out of appropriate compliments
If I didn't work on several projects, there would be too much wasted time, not writing

So, last few months it's been like this

Send off Project A to editor, and wait for edit notes
While waiting, work on Project B.
Finish first draft project B, leave to marinate
Start Project C, first draft
Edit notes come in for Project A. Deal with them
While dealing, if at any point, brain turns to cottage cheese, work on Project C to clear it
Tidy up Project B and send to betas.
Finish Project A edit notes, send back to editor
While waiting for copy edits on Project A, carry on with C.

I could have just stuck with Project A. But then I'd have all that time wasted while waiting, doing nothing, and I wouldn't have a finished first draft of project B, or half a first draft of Project C by now

But that's me. I can't be Not Writing at all. Others need time off between. Whatever floats your boat.

"Fade to Black is a dynamic and original introduction to a world and character that promise further exciting stories". British Fantasy Society

The series has grown in complexity since the beginning, reaches a profoundly moving conclusion that is both unexpected and entirely satisfying - Publisher's Weekly

Twitter
Mr Flibble is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-13-2013, 12:21 PM   #23
seun
Horror Man

seun is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsseun is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsseun is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsseun is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsseun is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsseun is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsseun is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsseun is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsseun is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsseun is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsseun is so great that we've run out of appropriate compliments
I work on just the one book or story at a time although that doesn't mean I don't plan or think about another piece while writing. Once the first draft is finished, I leave it alone for a couple of weeks. While I wait, I come up with a short story or two and do any of the practical stuff about writing - researching markets, checking outstanding subs etc. Then I get into the edits, finish and start something else.

My site My twitter My facebook
seun is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-13-2013, 02:28 PM   #24
Becky Black
Writing my way off the B Ark

Becky Black is a glorious beacon of lightBecky Black is a glorious beacon of lightBecky Black is a glorious beacon of light
I tend not to try to work on more than one draft at the same time. That can mess with my head. Also I play them off against each other. If I'm having trouble with one, I can work on the other, and still feel virtuous. Whereas if I was just messing about while avoiding working on the stuck one, I'd feel guilty enough to get on with it.

But especially now I'm sold it would be common that I'll be working on a draft or editing of one project and have to put it away for a few days when edits from my publisher come through. So I've learned to switch between the two without too much trouble.

I can more easily work on different projects if they are in different stages. In fact I've found it's essential to work on more than one and switch between them, because there just isn't a nice neat sequence of write it, edit it, submit it, write next one, edit it, submit it... There's always something to mess up a schedule like that.
Old 02-13-2013, 03:18 PM   #25
NeuroFizz
The grad students did it

NeuroFizz is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsNeuroFizz is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsNeuroFizz is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsNeuroFizz is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsNeuroFizz is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsNeuroFizz is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsNeuroFizz is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsNeuroFizz is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsNeuroFizz is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsNeuroFizz is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsNeuroFizz is so great that we've run out of appropriate compliments
Every writer will have his/her own best method of writing, and while it is helpful to experiment, once a successful method is found it is best to stick with it no matter what others are doing. And the method that is "successful" is simple to evaluate--are you finishing your stories and getting them submission ready? Some writers can work on multiple stories and finish and polish them all. Others can only work on one at a time to get them submission ready. Regardless of method, we should all establish a pipeline of projects, so when one is finished, we are working to finish the next story (or stories).

The important question is not how to work on multiple projects, but how to finish those multiple projects. There are many successful writers here who can give good advice on that latter question.

And I don't think there is a "trend" favoring one method of writing over another.
Agnes Hahn (Psychological Suspense 2008) Medallion Press Silver Medal, 2009 IPPY awards, Horror category
Imola (Sequel to Agnes Hahn 2009) - Medallion Press
3.99 (Psychological Suspense/Mystery 2012) - Musa 2014 EPIC e-book awards Finalist, Paranormal category
NeuroFizz is offline   Reply With Quote