Read Books By AWers!

Welcome to the AbsoluteWrite Water Cooler! Please read The Newbie Guide To Absolute Write

editing for authors ad

A publisher or agency using Google ads to solicit your novel probably isn't anyone you want to write for.

Go Back   Absolute Write Water Cooler > Writing Genre > Science Fiction/Fantasy > Science Fact
Register FAQ Calendar Mark Forums Read

Old 02-11-2013, 05:47 PM   #1
Escape Artist
Plotting her escape...

Escape Artist has a spectacular auraEscape Artist has a spectacular aura
When did we discover that vehicle exhaust was damaging the ozone?

Wasn't sure whether to post this here or in the story research board, but I was curious - when did we discover that vehicle exhaust was damaging the ozone?

It is related to story research as I'm trying to figure out when exactly a form of cheap, environmentally-friendly transportation was introduced on my alternate Earth, as it was done so in reaction to discovering the above.

Thanks!

Six Feet Under - (drafting)

In Lieu of Death - (brainstorming)
Escape Artist is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-11-2013, 06:08 PM   #2
Roger J Carlson
Moderation in All Things
AW Moderator

Roger J Carlson is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsRoger J Carlson is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsRoger J Carlson is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsRoger J Carlson is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsRoger J Carlson is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsRoger J Carlson is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsRoger J Carlson is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsRoger J Carlson is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsRoger J Carlson is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsRoger J Carlson is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsRoger J Carlson is so great that we've run out of appropriate compliments
Quote:
Originally Posted by Escape Artist View Post
Wasn't sure whether to post this here or in the story research board, but I was curious - when did we discover that vehicle exhaust was damaging the ozone?

It is related to story research as I'm trying to figure out when exactly a form of cheap, environmentally-friendly transportation was introduced on my alternate Earth, as it was done so in reaction to discovering the above.

Thanks!
Well, I can't say vehicle exhaust doesn't hurt the ozone (layer), but the thing usually associated with it is CFCs (chlorofluorocarbons), like freon.

Since the 60s, people have been concerned with vehicle exhaust for a variety of reasons. Smog and acid rain originally, and most recently global warming / climate change.
Roger J Carlson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-11-2013, 06:26 PM   #3
Maxx
Got the hang of it, here

Maxx leaves trails of profuse coolnessMaxx leaves trails of profuse coolnessMaxx leaves trails of profuse coolnessMaxx leaves trails of profuse coolnessMaxx leaves trails of profuse coolness
Quote:

Thanks!
It would think you have several possibilities with cheap transportation:

1) if it really was cheap it would supplant the more expensive modes for that reason
2) exhaust gas results in dangerously high levels of ozone at ground level and I would think that would be clear by the equivalent of 1956 on an alternative earth
3) and if that wasn't enough, if you increase the Co2 in the atmosphere by burning fossil fuels, you heat the lower atmosphere and cool the stratosphere (since heat is trapped down lower). A cooler stratosphere apparently causes more Ozone depletion. However this is only clear from modeling and I would guess the earliest models to predict
such things would be from around 1990. But that's purely a guess.
Old 02-11-2013, 06:50 PM   #4
King Neptune
God of the Oceans

King Neptune has earned our admirationKing Neptune has earned our admirationKing Neptune has earned our admirationKing Neptune has earned our admiration
Quote:

Thanks!
Don't worry about the exhaust. Use external combustion engines. The boilers for steam engines produce water and CO2, and when measured from fuel to miles travelled, steam engines are as efficient as internal combustion. Look into the Doble Uniflow steam engine. A large part of the efficiency comes from the boiler firing only when necessary; the burner can turn off when the temperature and pressure are within the acceptable range, but internal combustion engines have to keep firing or go through the restart process, which wastes fuel.
King Neptune is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-11-2013, 07:35 PM   #5
Escape Artist
Plotting her escape...

Escape Artist has a spectacular auraEscape Artist has a spectacular aura
Whoa - quick replies today. Y'all are more awake than I am right now, lol.

Thanks so much for the info and ideas!

Six Feet Under - (drafting)

In Lieu of Death - (brainstorming)
Escape Artist is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-11-2013, 10:58 PM   #6
King Neptune
God of the Oceans

King Neptune has earned our admirationKing Neptune has earned our admirationKing Neptune has earned our admirationKing Neptune has earned our admiration
If you want an exact year, then you could select any year since about 1910, because the nitrous oxides and CO were known for a long time. It was more because the people running the companies were obsessive than that internal combustion was superior of cheaper that resulted in internal combustion engines becoming more popular. One of the Stanley brothers (or was it a Doble) died in a racing accident around 1915. You could have him survive and decide to put Henry Ford and his noisemakers out of business. You could have him do that because he hated the stench of half bruned gasoline.
King Neptune is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-11-2013, 11:04 PM   #7
alleycat
Beware.
SuperModerator

alleycat is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsalleycat is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsalleycat is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsalleycat is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsalleycat is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsalleycat is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsalleycat is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsalleycat is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsalleycat is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsalleycat is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsalleycat is so great that we've run out of appropriate compliments
You might want to do some research on Clair Patterson, which name is little-known but his work was of great importance.

alleycat is offline   Reply With Quote