Read Books By AWers!

Welcome to the AbsoluteWrite Water Cooler! Please read The Newbie Guide To Absolute Write

editing for authors ad

A publisher or agency using Google ads to solicit your novel probably isn't anyone you want to write for.

Go Back   Absolute Write Water Cooler > Writing Genre > Science Fiction/Fantasy
Register FAQ Calendar Mark Forums Read

Old 02-10-2013, 09:24 AM   #1
Capeless
New Fish; Learning About Thick Skin

Capeless is on a distinguished road
Is there a term for this? What other books do this?

My current WIP combines fantasy with economics, and governs them with mathematics. Real world theories and equations are given a fantasy spin, but still have the same level of complexity.

Needless to say, it's going to be dense. My protagonist is a brilliant mathematician who goes up against an even more brilliant society of intellectuals.

I'm trying to present it in two "layers" -- one where less technical people will get the gist of it, and one where more technical people will understand the meaning of it.

Is there a correct term for this "genre"?
Is there a hard science fiction equivalent for fantasy?
What other novels do what I'm wanting to do?
Any thoughts?
Capeless is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-2013, 09:34 AM   #2
WillSauger
The Crazy Man in the Sun. Feel me.

WillSauger is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsWillSauger is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsWillSauger is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsWillSauger is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsWillSauger is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsWillSauger is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsWillSauger is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsWillSauger is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsWillSauger is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsWillSauger is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsWillSauger is so great that we've run out of appropriate compliments
What's the fantasy aspect?

There's magic/fantasy realism, but that involves a shit load of worldbuilding and "touring" the reader around the world so they understand it.

Probably.

You're writing a story of economics in a fantasy setting. You don't need dragons and wizards fighting a war to make it fantasy.

One of my deepest weaknesses is math. I have a faint understanding of what you're trying to do and what it'll turn out to be in the real world, but have no idea what its called. You'd probably be playing with bases. But, I dunno, there's a reason why I ran out my last college algebra class after the final and got a beer.

It'll be better if you explain what the hell your doing... for the people who understand numbers, I'd be drooling away.

"The illiterate of the 21st century will not be those who cannot read and write, but those who cannot learn, unlearn, and relearn" -- Alvin Toffler.

"The heights of great men reached and kept were not attained by sudden flight, but they while their companions slept, were toiling upward in the night" -- Henry Wadsworth Longfellow.
WillSauger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-2013, 06:08 PM   #3
benbenberi
practical experience, FTW

benbenberi is a glorious beacon of lightbenbenberi is a glorious beacon of lightbenbenberi is a glorious beacon of light
Sounds to me like a fictionalized lecture or polemic.
benbenberi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-2013, 07:58 PM   #4
Buffysquirrel
Possibly not a real squirrel

Buffysquirrel is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsBuffysquirrel is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsBuffysquirrel is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsBuffysquirrel is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsBuffysquirrel is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsBuffysquirrel is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsBuffysquirrel is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsBuffysquirrel is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsBuffysquirrel is so great that we've run out of appropriate compliments
Sounds a bit like what UK Le Guin did in The Dispossessed, which was Science Fiction.
Writing from a female point of view seems to be generally regarded as something more like writing from the perspective of a deer: you might get points for novelty, but it'd be impossible to get right, and who really wants to hear a deer narrate a story, anyway? Jennifer duBois

Self-sacrifice is vile. Joanna Russ

The Little Dog Laughed
Buffysquirrel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-2013, 10:48 PM   #5
rwm4768

rwm4768 is better than ice cream with hot fudgerwm4768 is better than ice cream with hot fudgerwm4768 is better than ice cream with hot fudgerwm4768 is better than ice cream with hot fudgerwm4768 is better than ice cream with hot fudgerwm4768 is better than ice cream with hot fudgerwm4768 is better than ice cream with hot fudge
I don't think you need to worry so much about whether other books have done it. I've read a lot of fantasy, and I've never come across a concept quite like that. As far as economic fantasy goes, Daniel Abraham's work is about the only that jumps to mind, but it's not like yours.

Your ideas also reminded me of The Dispossessed, where the main character is a brilliant physicist instead of mathematician.

Ultimately, I think you should go for it. It sounds like a different take on fantasy, and that might interest agents and publishers.

WIP:
Empire of Chains (Epic Fantasy): 158K Revising
Sunweaver (Epic Fantasy): 104K Revising
rwm4768 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-2013, 11:19 PM   #6
Chasing the Horizon
Creepy Centipede

Chasing the Horizon is a candidate for sainthoodChasing the Horizon is a candidate for sainthoodChasing the Horizon is a candidate for sainthoodChasing the Horizon is a candidate for sainthoodChasing the Horizon is a candidate for sainthoodChasing the Horizon is a candidate for sainthoodChasing the Horizon is a candidate for sainthoodChasing the Horizon is a candidate for sainthood
There is such a thing as science fantasy, which combines elements of advanced science with magic. I don't know if that applies to your book or not because I honestly have no idea what it is you're writing about.

As for other books that combine advanced math with fantasy, I'm not aware of any, and I think there may be a reason for that. A lot of people hate math and/or are very bad at it, so you'll be limiting your audience. I know I wouldn't be willing to read a book I was going to miss out on a whole layer of meaning in because I failed math. You might want to think about whether including the dense complexities is really necessary to tell your story.
Old 02-10-2013, 11:27 PM   #7
jjdebenedictis
is watching you via her avatar

jjdebenedictis is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsjjdebenedictis is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsjjdebenedictis is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsjjdebenedictis is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsjjdebenedictis is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsjjdebenedictis is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsjjdebenedictis is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsjjdebenedictis is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsjjdebenedictis is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsjjdebenedictis is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsjjdebenedictis is so great that we've run out of appropriate compliments
I don't know of a fantasy book that does this, but Cryptonomicon by Neal Stephenson has some math in it.

I'm not quite sure how you'd accurately classify Cryptonomicon, but it's probably called science fiction. It's a pretty unusual book.

I agree with rwm4768; this sounds unique, and it might prove irresistible to agents and editors who are on the hunt for something they've never seen before. Go for eeeeet!
Old 02-11-2013, 08:26 AM   #8
Capeless
New Fish; Learning About Thick Skin

Capeless is on a distinguished road
Thanks for the responses guys. I learned some new things and have added some books to my "need to read" list

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chasing the Horizon View Post
so you'll be limiting your audience.
Yea, you're right that it will indeed be limiting my audience, but I'm so taken with the idea that I don't really care. I'm not in it for the money, heck, I'm even considering releasing it for free -- under a creative commons license. That's if I ever finish it of course...

Quote:
I know I wouldn't be willing to read a book I was going to miss out on a whole layer of meaning in because I failed math.
Why not? People do this every day, WITHOUT KNOWING IT!

Allegory, satire, theme, technical stuff, etc, not understanding these things doesn't necessarily make a story less enjoyable.

If I watch a lawyer show on TV and don't understand lawyer speak, does that mean I can't enjoy the show? Hell no! Most of them are comedies anyway.

Last edited by Capeless; 02-11-2013 at 11:57 AM.
Capeless is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-11-2013, 09:02 AM   #9
Kitty Pryde
i luv you giant bear statue
AW Moderator

Kitty Pryde is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsKitty Pryde is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsKitty Pryde is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsKitty Pryde is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsKitty Pryde is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsKitty Pryde is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsKitty Pryde is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsKitty Pryde is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsKitty Pryde is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsKitty Pryde is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsKitty Pryde is so great that we've run out of appropriate compliments
Epic by Conor Kostick (and sequels) is basically introduction to ethics in the form of a teen science fiction novel about MMORPGs.

Many, many books have an added layer for the devoted nerd. For instance, Ready Player One is a great novel, and more interesting the more obscure geeky pop culture references you know. Ditto The Rapture of the Nerds, and many others. Peter Watts' novels are more interesting the more neurobiology you know. Ian McDonald's novels are more interesting the more widely traveled you are. On the other hand, books written by non-experts in a subject you are an expert on can seem lame and error-riddled. So--geek out as you wish. Just make sure your obscure references are either skippable or understandable using context clues.
Kitty Pryde is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-11-2013, 09:22 AM   #10
kuwisdelu
there is always hope

kuwisdelu is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentskuwisdelu is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentskuwisdelu is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentskuwisdelu is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentskuwisdelu is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentskuwisdelu is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentskuwisdelu is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentskuwisdelu is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentskuwisdelu is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentskuwisdelu is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentskuwisdelu is so great that we've run out of appropriate compliments
It's called Spice and Wolf and many of us are still waiting for season 3.
Old 02-11-2013, 09:30 AM   #11
frimble3
Heckuva good sport

frimble3 has a golden reputationfrimble3 has a golden reputationfrimble3 has a golden reputationfrimble3 has a golden reputationfrimble3 has a golden reputationfrimble3 has a golden reputation
Why not use the 'Freakonomics' idea? Use understandable examples of how your economic mathematics would play out for your fantasy characters.
frimble3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-11-2013, 03:05 PM   #12
Buffysquirrel
Possibly not a real squirrel

Buffysquirrel is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsBuffysquirrel is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsBuffysquirrel is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsBuffysquirrel is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsBuffysquirrel is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsBuffysquirrel is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsBuffysquirrel is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsBuffysquirrel is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsBuffysquirrel is so great that we've run out of appropriate compliments
I often put little things in my writing that will only be accessible at their fullest meaning to a few people. On the face of them, though, they have meaning in context too. Then I laugh a little, hoping that the people who do get them will enjoy them. Eh.
Writing from a female point of view seems to be generally regarded as something more like writing from the perspective of a deer: you might get points for novelty, but it'd be impossible to get right, and who really wants to hear a deer narrate a story, anyway? Jennifer duBois

Self-sacrifice is vile. Joanna Russ

The Little Dog Laughed
Buffysquirrel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-11-2013, 06:55 PM   #13
AceTachyon
Odd person

AceTachyon is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsAceTachyon is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsAceTachyon is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsAceTachyon is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsAceTachyon is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsAceTachyon is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsAceTachyon is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsAceTachyon is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsAceTachyon is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsAceTachyon is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsAceTachyon is so great that we've run out of appropriate compliments
Quote:
Originally Posted by kuwisdelu View Post
It's called Spice and Wolf and many of us are still waiting for season 3.
This.

Also, Mathemagics by Margaret Ball. Math is magic.

And the Wiz books by Rick Cook. Computer programming as magic. (Okay, not exactly math but similar idea)

Website Blog Twitter
Escapist fiction for everyone

KAT&MOUSE Season 2 boxed set is out! Kindle or epub
AceTachyon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-11-2013, 08:17 PM   #14
MumblingSage
Inarticulate Herb

MumblingSage should run for PresidentMumblingSage should run for PresidentMumblingSage should run for PresidentMumblingSage should run for PresidentMumblingSage should run for PresidentMumblingSage should run for President
Quote:
Originally Posted by Capeless View Post
My current WIP combines fantasy with economics, and governs them with mathematics. Real world theories and equations are given a fantasy spin, but still have the same level of complexity.

Needless to say, it's going to be dense. My protagonist is a brilliant mathematician who goes up against an even more brilliant society of intellectuals.

I'm trying to present it in two "layers" -- one where less technical people will get the gist of it, and one where more technical people will understand the meaning of it.

Any thoughts?
I second the Neal Stephenson comparison. Carolyn Ives Gilman also wrote a short story published in Fantasy & Science Fiction magazine about economic magic. I've seen his books at some fantasy & sci fi conventions, though unfortunately I haven't seem them branded as spec fic so much as Neal Stephenson books. That said, whether I'd call it fantasy or science fiction depends more on the world it's set in--are there dragons and mythical kingdoms? Other planets? Or is it set in the modern day, real world?

Also, I would probably enjoy reading this, being a social science student and a fantsy fan myself.
Currently: Juggling multiple WIPs, including sequels
Love Stories on Tumblr/Library
Current projects: Editing the historical that came out of nowhere
MumblingSage is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-11-2013, 08:23 PM   #15
Maxx
Got the hang of it, here

Maxx leaves trails of profuse coolnessMaxx leaves trails of profuse coolnessMaxx leaves trails of profuse coolnessMaxx leaves trails of profuse coolnessMaxx leaves trails of profuse coolness
Quote:
Originally Posted by Capeless View Post

Any thoughts?
I have a similar problem: a topological proof is needed to get around ("literally") a "gap" in the (dis)continuities of spacetime.

Answer: luckily the MC is more of a political animal than a idea man. He can't follow the math of the topological argument. Since we will be in the 1st person viewpoint of a character who is trying to keep the MC under political control we will have to take the MC's "hand-waving" arguments as the closest (haha -- quasi-topological joke) we can get to what the real topological argument might be-- which would be something like:

Any conditional probability assignment that allows conditioning on all non-empty subsets will exhibit an unacceptable rotational bias. Oh and the handwaving argument: even very poorly defined unlikely events can have causal chains that lead somewhere well-defined in your terms as long as they have some connection to your initial universe.

http://alexanderpruss.blogspot.com/2...nditional.html

Last edited by Maxx; 02-11-2013 at 08:29 PM. Reason: The handwaving argument
Maxx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-12-2013, 01:51 PM   #16
Arislan
figuring it all out

Arislan is on a distinguished road
I think Michael Crichton had a tendency to go that route, although mostly with science.
Arislan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-12-2013, 02:03 PM   #17
beezle
Cheers

beezle has a golden reputationbeezle has a golden reputationbeezle has a golden reputationbeezle has a golden reputationbeezle has a golden reputationbeezle has a golden reputation
Something like Asimov's theory of psychohistory from the Foundation novels?
The Rainbow Serpent, Shock Totem #2, July 2010. Pseudopod, July 2012.

A Time Before, Kaleidotrope, October 2012.
beezle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-12-2013, 02:17 PM   #18
Arislan
figuring it all out

Arislan is on a distinguished road
This is weird, I just mentioned "The Serpent and the Rainbow" in another topic (about zombies) and now my post on this thread is followed by a post with someone with "The Rainbow Serpent" on his sig. What are the odds?

I just thought I'd share that with you.
Arislan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-12-2013, 07:25 PM   #19
Myrealana
I aim to misbehave

Myrealana is better than ice cream with hot fudgeMyrealana is better than ice cream with hot fudgeMyrealana is better than ice cream with hot fudgeMyrealana is better than ice cream with hot fudgeMyrealana is better than ice cream with hot fudgeMyrealana is better than ice cream with hot fudgeMyrealana is better than ice cream with hot fudge
Quote:
Originally Posted by frimble3 View Post
Why not use the 'Freakonomics' idea? Use understandable examples of how your economic mathematics would play out for your fantasy characters.
Fantasy Freakonomics.

That would be the awesome!

"When it comes down to it itís always, always you and the white page. At the end of the day if the page is blank, itís won.
Donít let the page win."
Alasdair Stewart
Myrealana is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-12-2013, 09:03 PM   #20
Xelebes
Delerium ex Ennui

Xelebes is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsXelebes is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsXelebes is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsXelebes is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsXelebes is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsXelebes is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsXelebes is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsXelebes is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsXelebes is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsXelebes is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsXelebes is so great that we've run out of appropriate compliments
Quote:
As for other books that combine advanced math with fantasy, I'm not aware of any, and I think there may be a reason for that.
The most famous example is Alice in Wonderland.
Xelebes is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 02-12-2013, 11:44 PM   #21
lbender

lbender is a shiny, shiny jewellbender is a shiny, shiny jewel
Quote:
Originally Posted by beezle View Post
Something like Asimov's theory of psychohistory from the Foundation novels?
I was going to mention Asimov, although the Foundation novels are straight sci fi. He doesn't go into specific detail on the mathematical equations used in psychohistory, possibly because he hadn't come up with any, but possibly because he didn't want the reader's eyes to glaze over at pages of esoteric data.

Then again, Asomov was a master at explaining science to the lay person, as he did in a number of non-fiction tomes.

If you do get into technical detail, you'd better keep it short enough so non-mathematicians don't shut the book and move on to something else.
lbender is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-13-2013, 04:12 AM   #22
Smiling Ted
Ah-HA!

Smiling Ted has a golden reputationSmiling Ted has a golden reputationSmiling Ted has a golden reputationSmiling Ted has a golden reputationSmiling Ted has a golden reputationSmiling Ted has a golden reputation
I suspect your biggest problem would be avoiding an info-dump. If the events that play out mirror the economic theories, then you're in the zone.

Read This Blog!: http://theswordthatnagged.blogspot.com/
Smiling Ted is offline   Reply With Quote