Welcome to the AbsoluteWrite Water Cooler! Please read The Newbie Guide To Absolute Write

editing for authors ad

A publisher or agency using Google ads to solicit your novel probably isn't anyone you want to write for.

Go Back   Absolute Write Water Cooler > Writing Genre > Religious and Spiritual Writing > Pagan
Register FAQ Calendar Mark Forums Read

Old 02-09-2013, 06:40 PM   #1
regdog
Boston
AW Moderator

regdog is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsregdog is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsregdog is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsregdog is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsregdog is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsregdog is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsregdog is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsregdog is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsregdog is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsregdog is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsregdog is so great that we've run out of appropriate compliments
New Guinea Woman Burned For Being A Witch

Quote:
A woman accused of sorcery was tortured, burned and set on fire on Wednesday in Mount Hagen in the Western Highlands of Papua New Guinea, reports Australia’s Courier Mail.

Read more: http://newsfeed.time.com/2013/02/07/...#ixzz2KPlDJgay
Link Safe, no graphic photos

I saw this a quick blurb on the newsticker while watching the news. There were quite a few articles online but I was honestly too afraid to click the links because most warned of graphic photos.

The idea of this still happening in thw world in this day and age is heartbreaking. Ridiculous stereotypes are still so prevalent and resulting in death.

I know I bitched in the thread about Hansel and Gretel Witch Hunters and stories like this only reinforce my intense dislike of the media's hurtful and negative portrayal of witches. I do know that it is doubtful those movies are seen in the highlands of New Guinea, but the fearful view of witches sadly is everywhere.

My heart goes out to that poor woman and how she suffered.

My Blog-The Character Assassination of Starscream

Help find Tracey Cooeedownunder's sister is missing
regdog is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 02-09-2013, 11:29 PM   #2
leahzero
The colors! THE COLORS!

leahzero has a double-platinum reputationleahzero has a double-platinum reputationleahzero has a double-platinum reputationleahzero has a double-platinum reputationleahzero has a double-platinum reputationleahzero has a double-platinum reputationleahzero has a double-platinum reputation
Disgusting. Sad. Tragic.

I think it's more about misogyny, however:

Quote:
“The accusations of sorcery,” Manjoo said, “are commonly used to take away women’s land and/or their property.”

A representative of the U.S. embassy in the capital Port Moresby has condemned the killing of Ms. Leniata as “brutal murder” and evidence of “pervasive gender-based violence” in Papua New Guinea, according to the BBC.

I wrote UNTEACHABLE, a New Adult Romance.
My self-publishing saga, in all its gory detail, is here.
leahzero is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-2013, 12:13 AM   #3
Foinah
Smoking Monkey Smart Arse
AW Moderator

Foinah is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsFoinah is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsFoinah is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsFoinah is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsFoinah is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsFoinah is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsFoinah is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsFoinah is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsFoinah is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsFoinah is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsFoinah is so great that we've run out of appropriate compliments
That is terribly sad. My heart goes out the woman and her family.

It is still common for this to happen throughout parts of Africa and even South America. I agree that the label of witchcraft is still used as a tool to attack women, but children are also abused and murdered from the stigma as well.

It falls more heavily on our shoulders, as practitioners of the original faith, to be model representations of the craft. The more people see that we are filled with light, love, and peace, the more our faith barges out of the broom closet and into the mainstream.

I've made myself a target locally. I placed a pentacle and a Love the Goddess plaque on the back bumper of my minivan. The looks I get are a mixed bag: tentative smiles, dirty looks, or a negative head shake. But I just smile warmly and say HELLO. Have a wonderful and happy day.

It's been enlightening. Especially at my daughter's school. Cackle™
Yes...I have an author site! It's keen!
Short stories available for amazon kindle : Support my coffee habit
Smoking Monkeys have all the fun. Yes, yes we do. Smoking Simian Scribbles (pssst, it's a blog)
Foinah is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-2013, 06:07 PM   #4
regdog
Boston
AW Moderator

regdog is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsregdog is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsregdog is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsregdog is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsregdog is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsregdog is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsregdog is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsregdog is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsregdog is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsregdog is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsregdog is so great that we've run out of appropriate compliments
I've always been open about being a witch and wear a pentacle bracelet. At my last job most people were fine with it but some used to whisper to my boss, "She's not really a witch is she?" His answer, "She sure is, why?" That usually shut them up. A few used to give me weird looks afterwards but never said anything else about it.

My Blog-The Character Assassination of Starscream

Help find Tracey Cooeedownunder's sister is missing
regdog is online now   Reply With Quote