Read Books By AWers!

Welcome to the AbsoluteWrite Water Cooler! Please read The Newbie Guide To Absolute Write

editing for authors ad

A publisher or agency using Google ads to solicit your novel probably isn't anyone you want to write for.

Go Back   Absolute Write Water Cooler > Welcome to the Water Cooler > Tech Help > Tech Talk
Register FAQ Calendar Mark Forums Read

Old 02-08-2013, 11:24 PM   #1
juniper
Always curious.

juniper is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsjuniper is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsjuniper is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsjuniper is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsjuniper is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsjuniper is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsjuniper is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsjuniper is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsjuniper is so great that we've run out of appropriate compliments
MacKeeper - what's the talk?

On my Mac, the popup for MacKeeper is one of the few that appears - and frequently. At least once a day.

I searched this forum and only found one reference to it, here:

http://absolutewrite.com/forums/show...8&postcount=15

which only says: "MacKeeper - a fantastic all-in-one Swiss army knife for deleting files, splitting binaries, etc."

I don't have many issues with my 3 years old MacBook, although I *did* have to get it completely wiped by the Genius Bar a couple of weeks ago, then reload everything from my Time Machine backup. (I'd been having trouble for a couple of months with it being frozen after turning on - mouse would move cursor around, but nothing would ever happen - no files open, no programs ... Genius Bar tried a couple of fixes then just wiped it, seems to be ok now )

So, what's up with MacKeeper? Should I have it? Is it useful? Is it dangerous? Is it meh take-it-or-leave it?

Thanks.

“Inspiration is for amateurs — the rest of us just show up and get to work.” Artist Chuck Close

"For all my dreams, I am what I do." --David K. Reynolds, Constructive Living guru

blogging (sporadically) at http://www.katjuniper.blogspot.com, tweeting (sometimes) as @KatJuniper

Last edited by juniper; 02-08-2013 at 11:25 PM. Reason: better title
juniper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-08-2013, 11:42 PM   #2
Nekko
New motto: more purr, less hiss

Location: Do you know where the middle of nowhere is? Four miles past that
Nekko is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsNekko is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsNekko is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsNekko is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsNekko is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsNekko is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsNekko is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsNekko is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsNekko is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsNekko is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsNekko is so great that we've run out of appropriate compliments
I don't have personal experience with it, but of course I have an opinion!

Mac reviewers I usually trust (CNET, Cult of Mac) speak highly of it. Average people - of the category of those who take the time to comment obsessively online (which would include trolls) slam it. Curious to see what others around the water cooler who may have actually used the program, have to say.

--jjdebenedictis

Me on FB
Nekko is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-09-2013, 12:49 AM   #3
kuwisdelu
there is always hope

kuwisdelu is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentskuwisdelu is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentskuwisdelu is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentskuwisdelu is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentskuwisdelu is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentskuwisdelu is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentskuwisdelu is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentskuwisdelu is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentskuwisdelu is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentskuwisdelu is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentskuwisdelu is so great that we've run out of appropriate compliments
Taking a look at it, I wouldn't bother.

Most of it is stuff the average user doesn't need, and the stuff that looks appealing, you can find better elsewhere as standalone software. IMO.
Old 02-09-2013, 01:16 AM   #4
Medievalist
Cultus Gopherus MacAllister
SuperModerator

Medievalist is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsMedievalist is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsMedievalist is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsMedievalist is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsMedievalist is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsMedievalist is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsMedievalist is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsMedievalist is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsMedievalist is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsMedievalist is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsMedievalist is so great that we've run out of appropriate compliments
I'd take a look at Onyx

http://www.macupdate.com/app/mac/11582/onyx

AW Admin
About.Me
AWers On Twitter
Lisa L. Spangenberg
My opinions are my own. | Who else would want them?
Medievalist is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-09-2013, 05:49 AM   #5
BenPanced
Tonight on Mythbusters

BenPanced is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsBenPanced is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsBenPanced is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsBenPanced is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsBenPanced is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsBenPanced is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsBenPanced is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsBenPanced is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsBenPanced is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsBenPanced is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsBenPanced is so great that we've run out of appropriate compliments
I thought I'd need it but I requested a refund during the trial period.

And they got hopelessly sh!tty with me, making me glad I wasn't ever going to do business with them again. I outlined some speed and response time issues that popped up after I installed it and that disappeared after I'd uninstalled it, and I got a reply from them basically telling me I was wrong because their lab tests and testimonials were right. Still got a refund and still won't do business with them in the future.

And the replies in their customer support forums were written in English as their second language ("We are sorry for you having these problem. Rest assure, we taking concerns of yours very seriously and will arriving at solution shortly. Signed, PEGGY.")
Old 02-09-2013, 10:12 AM   #6
kuwisdelu
there is always hope

kuwisdelu is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentskuwisdelu is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentskuwisdelu is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentskuwisdelu is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentskuwisdelu is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentskuwisdelu is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentskuwisdelu is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentskuwisdelu is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentskuwisdelu is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentskuwisdelu is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentskuwisdelu is so great that we've run out of appropriate compliments
Quote:
Originally Posted by BenPanced View Post
I thought I'd need it but I requested a refund during the trial period.
What did you think you'd need it for? We may be able to recommend some alternatives.
Old 02-11-2013, 02:00 PM   #7
Nekko
New motto: more purr, less hiss

Location: Do you know where the middle of nowhere is? Four miles past that
Nekko is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsNekko is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsNekko is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsNekko is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsNekko is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsNekko is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsNekko is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsNekko is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsNekko is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsNekko is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsNekko is so great that we've run out of appropriate compliments
Checked in with my "in house" IT. (The one I feed and pay tuition for)
He's used MacKeeper and strongly advises against it.
He recommends that if you run into problems in the future, try using the Mac's built in Disk Utility program. Just Verify the disk and then Repair it if there are any problems. It may take a while for the program to run but it works very well. If Disk Utility can't fix it then you may need more help than a simple program can do.

Good luck!

--jjdebenedictis

Me on FB
Nekko is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-27-2013, 12:33 PM   #8
juniper
Always curious.

juniper is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsjuniper is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsjuniper is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsjuniper is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsjuniper is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsjuniper is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsjuniper is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsjuniper is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsjuniper is so great that we've run out of appropriate compliments
Thx, everyone. Those endless popup ads were making me wonder if there was something to it.

Now I just wonder how those ads even get there - so few ads I get - the MacKeeper and Netflix are the only ones, I think. They must have special powers to make it past the Mac protections.

“Inspiration is for amateurs — the rest of us just show up and get to work.” Artist Chuck Close

"For all my dreams, I am what I do." --David K. Reynolds, Constructive Living guru

blogging (sporadically) at http://www.katjuniper.blogspot.com, tweeting (sometimes) as @KatJuniper
Old 02-27-2013, 06:27 PM   #9
zanzjan
Hark the hotdog soda olive grape!
AW Moderator

zanzjan is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentszanzjan is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentszanzjan is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentszanzjan is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentszanzjan is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentszanzjan is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentszanzjan is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentszanzjan is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentszanzjan is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentszanzjan is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentszanzjan is so great that we've run out of appropriate compliments
MacKeeper has badly trashed a couple of Macs here. We consider it malware.

"It's always wrong of course to say that you can't do this or you can't do that in fiction. You can do anything you can get away with, but nobody has ever gotten away with much." -- Flannery O'Connor
zanzjan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-27-2013, 08:12 PM   #10
thebloodfiend
Cory

thebloodfiend is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsthebloodfiend is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsthebloodfiend is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsthebloodfiend is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsthebloodfiend is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsthebloodfiend is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsthebloodfiend is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsthebloodfiend is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsthebloodfiend is so great that we've run out of appropriate compliments
When I google MacKeeper, I get a bunch of pages telling me NOT to install MacKeeper. Seems like a dead giveaway that it's crap software.

I would rarely install any highly invasive software on my Mac unless it came from Apple itself, or a highly trusted source.

Macbooks rarely get viruses because the majority of viruses are written for Windows computers. Even then, I would use McAfee (though I, personally don't bother with virus protection).

There are free alternatives for just about everything they offer.

If you want a decent popup blocker, AdBlocker is excellent. I've not had a single popup since I installed it. It also allows you to customize which ads you block.
thebloodfiend is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-27-2013, 08:52 PM   #11
Medievalist
SuperModerator

Medievalist is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsMedievalist is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsMedievalist is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsMedievalist is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsMedievalist is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsMedievalist is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsMedievalist is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsMedievalist is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsMedievalist is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsMedievalist is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsMedievalist is so great that we've run out of appropriate compliments
There are a number of built in utility scripts in Mac OS X—disc utility is a tool with a graphic user interface (GUI) for many of them, but not all.

Cocktail and Onyx are two very popular programs that simply provide a GUI for built in scripts, scripts that often run automatically (if the Mac is powered up at the scheduled time) and that can be run on the command line via Terminal.

These include verifying/repairing drives (though this one will work best if you run it on an external drive/cd/USB stick other than the drive you're checking), rotating logs, repairing permissions, etc.

AW Admin
About.Me
AWers On Twitter
Lisa L. Spangenberg
Old 03-01-2013, 06:10 AM   #12
Pj Little
New Fish; Learning About Thick Skin

Pj Little is on a distinguished road
Disk repair will solve most problems. I would never use Mac keeper because the pop-under ads hiding behind the news are too annoying for polite company.

I just had a wandering mouse pointer yesterday. The wireless mouse batteries were dying. The other time it happened, I had something heavy sitting on the wire of a wired mouse. I've had Macs for several years, but I've never seen a Genius Bar or the inside of a real Apple Store only because I live 200 miles from it.

A 3-year Mac is not necessarily showing its age. Wiping it probably gave it a new lease on life for a few more years. My G4 MDD Mac still runs nicely.

I will say this, though, memory starting to fail will cause Mac to do some very weird things. After spending $100 in a repair shop, I pulled the stick of bad memory and have not looked back. .

Last edited by Pj Little; 03-01-2013 at 06:12 AM. Reason: typo
Pj Little is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-01-2013, 07:11 AM   #13
Medievalist
SuperModerator

There are both internal checks for bad RAM, and external tools on the System disc that came with a Mac that can check for Ram.

It's also easy to check personally by first re-seating the RAM, and then by swapping/removing on SIM / DIM at a time.

AW Admin
About.Me
AWers On Twitter
Lisa L. Spangenberg
Old 03-03-2013, 02:35 AM   #14
Pj Little

I agree

I reseated, swapped and even cleaned it with an eraser. It would boot with bad RAM, too. Go figure. I don't know why it did not show as bad. I finally decided it was tired and needed a rest. Its rested for five years.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Medievalist View Post
There are both internal checks for bad RAM, and external tools on the System disc that came with a Mac that can check for Ram.

It's also easy to check personally by first re-seating the RAM, and then by swapping/removing on SIM / DIM at a time.
Old 03-03-2013, 02:40 AM   #15
Pj Little

AV and Mac

Clam X works pretty good and its free. There is also a free version for Windows, but I don't know how well it works.
Old 07-19-2013, 11:44 AM   #16
juniper
Always curious.

Well it's back with a vengeance. The MacKeeper ad disappeared for awhile but has been annoying me again for a week. Tonight it locked down my laptop in multi-parts and I had to shut down several times to even get rid of part of it.

Only seems to affect Safari for me. I went to Firefox and was able to use it to search some Apple forums. Found a couple of recommendations for Glimmer Blocker and downloaded that (free).

That helped a lot but still had to shut down twice again to get rid of the ad completely. It's quite persistent ...

Old 07-19-2013, 08:31 PM   #17
Medievalist
SuperModerator

Quote:
Originally Posted by juniper View Post
That helped a lot but still had to shut down twice again to get rid of the ad completely. It's quite persistent ...
1. Check your preferences for popup windows.

2. Clear your cache and cookies and browser history (making sure you know your logins first).

AW Admin
About.Me
AWers On Twitter
Lisa L. Spangenberg
Old 07-19-2013, 08:44 PM   #18
asroc
Alex

asroc has earned our admirationasroc has earned our admirationasroc has earned our admirationasroc has earned our admiration
Quote:
Originally Posted by juniper View Post
Well it's back with a vengeance. The MacKeeper ad disappeared for awhile but has been annoying me again for a week. Tonight it locked down my laptop in multi-parts and I had to shut down several times to even get rid of part of it.

Only seems to affect Safari for me. I went to Firefox and was able to use it to search some Apple forums. Found a couple of recommendations for Glimmer Blocker and downloaded that (free).

Try resetting Safari. Back up your bookmarks first, this will delete them. Toolbar -> Safari -> Reset Safari.

Ought to get rid of it. Good luck!
asroc is offline   Reply With Quote