Happy Thanksgiving JPG

Happy Thanksgiving!

Welcome to the AbsoluteWrite Water Cooler! Please read The Newbie Guide To Absolute Write

editing for authors ad

A publisher or agency using Google ads to solicit your novel probably isn't anyone you want to write for.

Go Back   Absolute Write Water Cooler > The Break Room > Office Party
Register FAQ Calendar Mark Forums Read

Old 02-08-2013, 11:26 PM   #1
srgalactica
practical experience, FTW

srgalactica is on a distinguished road
Words You Hate

I thought of this thread after seeing an episode of How I Met Your Mother, where Lily tells her friends she hates the word 'moist'. It squicks her out. What words do you hate?

srgalactica is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-08-2013, 11:35 PM   #2
alleycat
I'm going to need a nap.
SuperModerator

alleycat is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsalleycat is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsalleycat is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsalleycat is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsalleycat is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsalleycat is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsalleycat is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsalleycat is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsalleycat is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsalleycat is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsalleycat is so great that we've run out of appropriate compliments
oodles

alleycat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-08-2013, 11:45 PM   #3
WillSauger
The Crazy Man in the Sun. Feel me.

WillSauger is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsWillSauger is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsWillSauger is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsWillSauger is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsWillSauger is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsWillSauger is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsWillSauger is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsWillSauger is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsWillSauger is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsWillSauger is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsWillSauger is so great that we've run out of appropriate compliments
Any bolded or italicized word in a textbook.

"The illiterate of the 21st century will not be those who cannot read and write, but those who cannot learn, unlearn, and relearn" -- Alvin Toffler.

"The heights of great men reached and kept were not attained by sudden flight, but they while their companions slept, were toiling upward in the night" -- Henry Wadsworth Longfellow.
WillSauger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-08-2013, 11:49 PM   #4
Kylabelle
pleasantly deranged
AW Moderator

Kylabelle is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsKylabelle is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsKylabelle is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsKylabelle is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsKylabelle is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsKylabelle is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsKylabelle is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsKylabelle is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsKylabelle is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsKylabelle is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsKylabelle is so great that we've run out of appropriate compliments
"utilize"

Also, "gift" used as a verb.

I know, I should adapt. *sigh*
Walk into the Mystery (blog updated September 13.)
Sloppy Joe's. Where we can be literate and not have to take flak for it. --s6

Kylabelle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-09-2013, 12:22 AM   #5
Robbert
Practical experience FTW

Robbert has a golden reputationRobbert has a golden reputationRobbert has a golden reputationRobbert has a golden reputationRobbert has a golden reputationRobbert has a golden reputation
The large amount of hyphenated words.

As far as nouns are concerned--why not allow for compound nouns?
Robbert is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-09-2013, 12:45 AM   #6
Roger J Carlson
Moderation in All Things
AW Moderator

Roger J Carlson is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsRoger J Carlson is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsRoger J Carlson is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsRoger J Carlson is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsRoger J Carlson is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsRoger J Carlson is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsRoger J Carlson is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsRoger J Carlson is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsRoger J Carlson is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsRoger J Carlson is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsRoger J Carlson is so great that we've run out of appropriate compliments
Organic when used to describe food. All food (barring some minerals like salt) is organic. All food is organically-grown. That's how food grows -- organically.
Roger J Carlson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-09-2013, 01:31 AM   #7
Cliff Face
Meet Jill, the goth guitar!

Cliff Face is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsCliff Face is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsCliff Face is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsCliff Face is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsCliff Face is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsCliff Face is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsCliff Face is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsCliff Face is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsCliff Face is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsCliff Face is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsCliff Face is so great that we've run out of appropriate compliments
There are no bad words, only bad uses of those words.

Or something.

I don't know, I can't think of any words I hate. There are a few I like more than average though.
The Anger That Drives Me To Heresy
Cliff Face is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 02-09-2013, 03:05 AM   #8
Liralen
Miss Conceived

Liralen is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsLiralen is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsLiralen is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsLiralen is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsLiralen is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsLiralen is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsLiralen is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsLiralen is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsLiralen is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsLiralen is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsLiralen is so great that we've run out of appropriate compliments
Yummy.

I don't know why, but it just . . . no.

Can you find the Pitbull?

WIP ~ The Black Dog Dialogues: At the raw, dark fringes of exhaustion, there is The Black Dog
Liralen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-09-2013, 03:26 AM   #9
Jak Mundane
Sci-Fantasy Author in the Making

Jak Mundane is on a distinguished road
Gurgling.

I don't like the sound of the word, nor the actually gurgling.
Jak Mundane is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-09-2013, 06:37 AM   #10
IAMWRITER
QWERTY!!!

IAMWRITER has a spectacular auraIAMWRITER has a spectacular aura
Snog.
Old 02-09-2013, 06:44 AM   #11
alleycat
I'm going to need a nap.
SuperModerator

alleycat is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsalleycat is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsalleycat is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsalleycat is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsalleycat is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsalleycat is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsalleycat is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsalleycat is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsalleycat is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsalleycat is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsalleycat is so great that we've run out of appropriate compliments
foodie

Old 02-09-2013, 07:12 AM   #12
Papaya
Unfold your own myth. - Rumi

Papaya is a glorious beacon of lightPapaya is a glorious beacon of light
wordy

Let yourself become living poetry. - Rumi
Papaya is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-09-2013, 07:20 AM   #13
Snowstorm
Baby plot bunneh sniffs out a clue

Location: Lost in the Wyoming mountains. Don't try to rescue me.
Snowstorm is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsSnowstorm is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsSnowstorm is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsSnowstorm is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsSnowstorm is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsSnowstorm is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsSnowstorm is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsSnowstorm is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsSnowstorm is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsSnowstorm is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsSnowstorm is so great that we've run out of appropriate compliments
irregardless

Blood Atonement, a historical mystery, and Clear and Convincing Evidence, a contemporary mystery

WIP: Blood Atonement, the screenplay!

Blog Twitter Facebook

Snowstorm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-09-2013, 07:27 AM   #14
Liralen
Miss Conceived

Liralen is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsLiralen is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsLiralen is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsLiralen is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsLiralen is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsLiralen is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsLiralen is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsLiralen is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsLiralen is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsLiralen is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsLiralen is so great that we've run out of appropriate compliments
words that have extra or different letters that mysteriously appear in pronunciation: chimBley, realAtor, nucUlar . . .

And then there's that popular breed of dog, the ROCKwilDer.

WIP ~ The Black Dog Dialogues: At the raw, dark fringes of exhaustion, there is The Black Dog
Old 02-09-2013, 08:20 AM   #15
bettielee
Just a regular Fairy Princess

bettielee is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsbettielee is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsbettielee is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsbettielee is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsbettielee is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsbettielee is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsbettielee is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsbettielee is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsbettielee is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsbettielee is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsbettielee is so great that we've run out of appropriate compliments
Balk or caulk or anything that sounds like that.

Currently NaNoing: The Heroine from Hampshire - gothic romance maybe... kinda

Twitter
bettielee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-09-2013, 09:06 AM   #16
Liralen
Miss Conceived

Quote:
Originally Posted by Roger J Carlson View Post
Organic when used to describe food. All food (barring some minerals like salt) is organic. All food is organically-grown. That's how food grows -- organically.
Dunno. Have you considered the McNugget? Or the McRib?

Old 02-09-2013, 09:52 AM   #17
Papaya
Unfold your own myth. - Rumi

Papaya is a glorious beacon of lightPapaya is a glorious beacon of light
Quote:
It all depends on how you are defining organic, but I get your point. Perhaps organic wasn't the most accurate word to describe food that is not grown using artificial pesticides, but I personally love seeing the organic label on food. I won't buy anything else.

Let yourself become living poetry. - Rumi
Papaya is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-09-2013, 04:29 PM   #18
thepicpic
Restarting my electroheart

thepicpic is well-respected
Proactive angers me greatly. I'm fairly certain it's a tautology if one stops and thinks about it, too. Pretty much any term invented in a board room should be banished as well.
There was a word on the news this morning that really riled me up, but I can't remember what it was now I could actually put it to use...
thepicpic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-09-2013, 05:53 PM   #19
Robbert
Practical experience FTW

Robbert has a golden reputationRobbert has a golden reputationRobbert has a golden reputationRobbert has a golden reputationRobbert has a golden reputationRobbert has a golden reputation
1. hate

2. hatred

3. four-letter words (when used for no obvious reason)
Old 02-09-2013, 06:14 PM   #20
Plot Device
A woman said to write like a man.

Plot Device is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsPlot Device is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsPlot Device is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsPlot Device is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsPlot Device is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsPlot Device is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsPlot Device is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsPlot Device is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsPlot Device is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsPlot Device is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsPlot Device is so great that we've run out of appropriate compliments
I know it's already been taken .... but "moist."

Be prepared. (Sandy said so.)
Plot Device is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-09-2013, 06:22 PM   #21
alleycat
I'm going to need a nap.
SuperModerator

Quote:
Originally Posted by thepicpic View Post
Proactive angers me greatly. I'm fairly certain it's a tautology if one stops and thinks about it, too. Pretty much any term invented in a board room should be banished as well.
They need to be proactive and put aside their interpersonal differences and develop a new paradigm to find a solution to the Fiscal Cliff, irregardless of which side they're invested in. At the end of the day this will enable us to move forward towards a new synergy.

Old 02-09-2013, 06:26 PM   #22
Robbert
Practical experience FTW

Quote:
All food is organically-grown. That's how food grows -- organically.
Organisms act when getting in contact with soil. Dutch tomatoes react to fertiliser solution--hardly organic, is it?
Old 02-09-2013, 07:27 PM   #23
BigWords
Geekzilla

BigWords is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsBigWords is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsBigWords is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsBigWords is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsBigWords is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsBigWords is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsBigWords is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsBigWords is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsBigWords is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsBigWords is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsBigWords is so great that we've run out of appropriate compliments
I don't hate them, but words which have special characters for no reason other than visual appearance really, really annoy me - and it is a pain in the ass to go hunt for the code to get those characters to show up correctly.

And any words which appear more than a dozen times in a small amount of space, as they tend to lose all meaning. Transcribing those blurbs makes my head feel as if it going to explode.

Quote:
Originally Posted by AbielleRose View Post
Dude, I am not that flexible.
Quote:
Originally Posted by aliwood View Post
The SFF Review Educational Supplement is now open. I'll be listing books, podcasts, online courses and anything else that aims to help the SFF writer improve their skills, provided they're free. (the books, podcasts, online courses and anything else, not the writers)

The British Comics Database is growing. Or mutating. I'm not quite sure which, yet.
BigWords is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-09-2013, 07:30 PM   #24
ElaineA
Back in the saddle

ElaineA is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsElaineA is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsElaineA is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsElaineA is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsElaineA is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsElaineA is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsElaineA is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsElaineA is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsElaineA is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsElaineA is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsElaineA is so great that we've run out of appropriate compliments
Quote:
Originally Posted by srgalactica View Post
It squicks her out. What words do you hate?
I know this thread is about words we hate but I just have to say that SQUICKS is a word I love.

I'm with Cliff Face. Can't get up a hatred of words, just the use of them. Like. I can't stand the word 'like' popping up every third word in a conversation
ElaineA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-09-2013, 07:38 PM   #25
Chris P
Likes metaphors mixed, not stirred

Chris P is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsChris P is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsChris P is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsChris P is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsChris P is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsChris P is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsChris P is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsChris P is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsChris P is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsChris P is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsChris P is so great that we've run out of appropriate compliments
Quote:
Originally Posted by ElaineA View Post
I know this thread is about words we hate but I just have to say that SQUICKS is a word I love.

I'm with Cliff Face. Can't get up a hatred of words, just the use of them. Like. I can't stand the word 'like' popping up every third word in a conversation
"Likes" your post

Click here to see a video of my two years in Uganda with the Peace Corps

Resingled Needs another round of betas. Interested?
Nyasaland Undergoing major repairs.
WIP: Cloak of Iron. WWI Sci-fi. It's got tanks. And holograms. 43,000 words.
Chris P is offline   Reply With Quote