Read Books By AWers!

Welcome to the AbsoluteWrite Water Cooler! Please read The Newbie Guide To Absolute Write

editing for authors ad

A publisher or agency using Google ads to solicit your novel probably isn't anyone you want to write for.

Go Back   Absolute Write Water Cooler > General Writing Interest > Basic Writing Questions
Register FAQ Calendar Mark Forums Read

Old 02-05-2013, 12:52 PM   #1
Shaley
New Fish; Learning About Thick Skin

Shaley is on a distinguished road
Smile Epilogue ..... Yes or No ???

Hi again

After weeks of thought about the ending of my 75,000 word (plus graphics) Novel .... a comedy with a semi serious ending I am now seriously considering including an Epilogue as a way of injecting the same humour level back into the story that was consistent throughout the novel. Also I have already written a plot outline and planned a new novel as a sequel for this novel and will start writing it as soon as I have sent out all my queries etc. Just wondering what do others think about Epilogues .... Good or Bad idea ???

Look forward to hearing other people opinions on this topic !!
Shaley is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-05-2013, 02:59 PM   #2
jeffo20
Tyrant King

jeffo20 is a splendid one to beholdjeffo20 is a splendid one to beholdjeffo20 is a splendid one to behold
Ultimately, it's up to you to decide. If you think you need it, put it in.

"An Unexpected Reunion" in Winter's Regret, from Elephant's Bookshelf Press.
jeffo20 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-05-2013, 03:12 PM   #3
kkbe
Huh.

kkbe is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentskkbe is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentskkbe is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentskkbe is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentskkbe is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentskkbe is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentskkbe is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentskkbe is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentskkbe is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentskkbe is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentskkbe is so great that we've run out of appropriate compliments
When considering whether or not to conclude one of my novels with an epilogue, I came across this essay: http://writerunboxed.com/2012/10/30/...-the-epilogue/

In part:
Quote:
Does it add something of value to the story? . . . Is it consistent in plot, character and theme? Do you have an actual reason you can cite for leaving it in and not incorporating it into your final chapter?
Something to think about, maybe.
kkbe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-05-2013, 04:22 PM   #4
Shaley

Quote:
Originally Posted by kkbe View Post
When considering whether or not to conclude one of my novels with an epilogue, I came across this essay: http://writerunboxed.com/2012/10/30/...-the-epilogue/

In part:

Something to think about, maybe.
Thanks a lot for posting the link kkbe it is really helpful and provides a good basis for questioning the need for an epilogue or not. I have cut and pasted an earlier post of mine below that adds a little more information/insight to the epilogue question

Hello All
this is my first Post so apologies in advance for any mistakes.

Ok so I am just about finished my first 75,000 word novel. It is predominantly a work of Humour /Satire about a modern day Aristocratic or Landed Gentry family Father , Mother, Adult son, who are on the run from Interpol and flee from England to Rural Italy. The entire novel takes place over one week and the MC of the novel is the father of the family who also owns a bank.

The plot is delibertely set at a fairly fast pace as there is a lot of action and dialogue usually connected with the terrible disasters the family cause in the little Italian town,either independently or as a group on a daily basis.

However (and this is the crux of my question) the last chapter has been purposely written with a definate twist (even though clues had been dropped earlier on in previous chapters) and becomes a lot more serious than all the previous chapters revealing hidden secrets about the characters that the reader would not have known.This is mostly achieved via a letter that is left from one character to another conveying secrets and lies that had been told years ago, Also within this letter is another letter written forty two years ago that provides the proof in relation to the secrets and lays to rest the unresolved ghosts of the past.

"My question is even though essentially the novel is a comedy/satire.Do you think it is still OK to finish the story on a serious note that possibly provokes the reader to think on a deeper level about the events of the novel ? or Do you think the reader will feel ripped of if they are not having a big Ha ha ha belly laugh right up untill the end ....... BTW there is a sequel in the pipeline !! "

OK so that is the post related to the epilogue question ...... and after reading your link and finishing the final chapter I think an epilogue or another chapter is definitely needed.

My only concern is which should it be ? I am not too sure how far into the future the new information needs to be introduced before it can be titled an Epilogue .... in my case the Main characters are only one day into the future but clearly already out of the ending of the main story ... if that makes sense ?

Can an epilogue be an epilogue even if it is only one day into the future ? ..... does this still make it viable as an epilogue or does it have to be more than a few weeks/months/years into the future?

I dont want to start a new chapter as this Epilogue is meant to be a bit of a teaser into the sequel as well as adding information important to the main story and a final check on all the characters and what happened to them .... seeing as though they had left the story two chapters before the end ....... in dire circumstances !!!

The Epilogue also begins in the exact same cicumstances as the first chapter .... ie they are all travelling in a car together to an unknown destination ....... hence once again the start of a new journey ........ hope this makesa abit more sense and helps clarify my questions !!
Old 02-05-2013, 04:52 PM   #5
Ken
and friends . . .

Ken is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsKen is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsKen is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsKen is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsKen is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsKen is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsKen is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsKen is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsKen is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsKen is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsKen is so great that we've run out of appropriate compliments
Quote:
Originally Posted by Shaley View Post
Hi again

After weeks of thought about the ending of my 75,000 word (plus graphics) Novel .... a comedy with a semi serious ending I am now seriously considering including an Epilogue as a way of injecting the same humour level back into the story that was consistent throughout the novel.
... sounds fine to me ^
Makes sense.

Regarding epilogues in general, I'm okay with them.
Not always though. They can be irritating at times.
Some stories should just end. No need for the author to linger.
Ken is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-05-2013, 06:49 PM   #6
teeta6404
practical experience, FTW

teeta6404 is on a distinguished road
I like epilogues, most of the time. But occasionally I come across one that will ruin everything I just read....not sure if that makes sense...just don't ruin your story with a strange or unnecessary epilogue.

Obviously Opinionated http://obviouslyopinionated.com
teeta6404 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-05-2013, 08:03 PM   #7
CrastersBabies
all hail zombie babies!

CrastersBabies is a candidate for sainthoodCrastersBabies is a candidate for sainthoodCrastersBabies is a candidate for sainthoodCrastersBabies is a candidate for sainthoodCrastersBabies is a candidate for sainthoodCrastersBabies is a candidate for sainthoodCrastersBabies is a candidate for sainthoodCrastersBabies is a candidate for sainthood
Yeah, I'm on board with asking whether or not it will add to the story.

As I said in other posts (about prologues), you can quietly ignore the, "I NEVER READ EPILOGUES EVARrrrrrrrrrr!1111!!"
Old 02-05-2013, 09:17 PM   #8
Orianna2000
Freelance Writer

Orianna2000 is a splendid one to beholdOrianna2000 is a splendid one to beholdOrianna2000 is a splendid one to behold
If the story doesn't feel complete without the epilogue, or if the epilogue adds something significant, then go ahead and add it. Most people won't mind, so long as it wraps up the loose ends and they can close the book feeling satisfied. Consider, though, whether it shouldn't just be the final chapter, instead of an epilogue. Normally, an epilogue takes place later than the rest of the story, like an addendum. From what you've described, it sounds okay, but give it some thought.

One caution: you mentioned that you ended a chapter with certain characters in dire straits, and you don't go back to those characters until the epilogue. It really, really annoys readers if you don't resolve cliffhangers in a way that is satisfying and immediate. Don't end the chapter with Bob being trapped in a cave-in, then start the next chapter with Bob back home, saying, "Phew! Wasn't I lucky that my friend happened to be walking past the cave and was able to pull me out of danger!" That's a cop-out. It usually happens because the writer is afraid to follow through and show their character in a tense, dangerous situation. They want the excitement of the cliffhanger, but they lack the skill (or the desire) to resolve the scene properly.

I don't know if that's what you were doing or not, but just be aware that it's considered poor form.
Orianna2000 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-05-2013, 09:39 PM   #9
JulianneQJohnson
has no socks

JulianneQJohnson leaves trails of profuse coolnessJulianneQJohnson leaves trails of profuse coolnessJulianneQJohnson leaves trails of profuse coolnessJulianneQJohnson leaves trails of profuse coolnessJulianneQJohnson leaves trails of profuse coolness
My general feeling on epilogues, as I don’t know your particular book, is this: In a romance novel I enjoy them. I like a little “and they lived happily ever after” moment in a romance. In any other type of book, I don’t usually care for them. I like deciding for myself what happens after the body of the book. If it’s the first part of a series, I’m not sure what the purpose is. Can it be added to the last chapter, or become part of the next book? If the answer to either of those is yes, then I wouldn’t do it.

Pictures and Words- my writing blog

Or join me on Tumblr

JulianneQJohnson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-05-2013, 10:01 PM   #10
Animad345
"Let's Dance!"

Animad345 is well-respected
Ask yourself quite simply: is it NECESSARY?

Not: is it interesting? Not: will it make people want to read a sequel? Is it necessary considering the rest of the story that you have written?

The trouble I find with epilogues is that they can give the effect of a double-ending. An epilogue is necessary if there are still loose threads, that you feel must be dealt with, at the end of the last chapter.

THE MONSTER IN THE MAN (Thriller)
JIGSAW BOY (YA)
HIT THE BREAKS (YA/Mystery)
BLACK AND BLUE (Mainstream)

Working On:

FATHER HEARTLESS (Paranormal)
ELECTRONEGATIVITY (Thriller)
VIOLET (Mainstream)
Animad345 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-05-2013, 10:02 PM   #11
Sheluvspink
IA-Romance Editing at 84,000k

Sheluvspink is on a distinguished road
I think it depends on the story. I agree with the post above me in romance's their great in a thriller or mystery the ending should be strong enough unless it's a lead in to a sequel
Old 02-05-2013, 10:29 PM   #12
Shaley

Smile

Quote:
Originally Posted by Orianna2000 View Post
If the story doesn't feel complete without the epilogue, or if the epilogue adds something significant, then go ahead and add it. Most people won't mind, so long as it wraps up the loose ends and they can close the book feeling satisfied. Consider, though, whether it shouldn't just be the final chapter, instead of an epilogue. Normally, an epilogue takes place later than the rest of the story, like an addendum. From what you've described, it sounds okay, but give it some thought.

One caution: you mentioned that you ended a chapter with certain characters in dire straits, and you don't go back to those characters until the epilogue. It really, really annoys readers if you don't resolve cliffhangers in a way that is satisfying and immediate. Don't end the chapter with Bob being trapped in a cave-in, then start the next chapter with Bob back home, saying, "Phew! Wasn't I lucky that my friend happened to be walking past the cave and was able to pull me out of danger!" That's a cop-out. It usually happens because the writer is afraid to follow through and show their character in a tense, dangerous situation. They want the excitement of the cliffhanger, but they lack the skill (or the desire) to resolve the scene properly.

I don't know if that's what you were doing or not, but just be aware that it's considered poor form.
Yes I agree with you about that situation and No .... it's not quite as dire as that ....... more a case of if we dont do ABC "now" then XYZ are bound to happen. I have deliberately written it like that to heighten the curiosity of the reader and of course so it leads onto a Sequel. The reader will be wondering for the next two or three chapters what exactly happened to the other two characters but most of the finer details will be spelt out very clearly in a letter left by the MC in the last chapter. However the whereabouts of the characters will remain a mystery to the character who receives the letter ... So in some ways the epilogue is needed so that the reader knows where the characters have all gone. Also it allows some breathing space and an opportunity for the other two characters to demand that the MC tells them the truth as he has been hiding facts from them the entire novel.

I guess not wanting to leave the reader in a serious space for too long either prompted me to think about how I could bring them back to the fun loving slapstick kind of pace they were enjoying before the final twist took place. Also bearing in mind it is a comedy I think I can can Errr on the side of the ridiculous here and there ....... At least I hope I can !!!!

Thanks again everyone for contributing to the post your advice has been very very helpful
Old 02-06-2013, 06:49 AM   #13
Knigel
If the Rule is Broken — Break it.

Knigel is on a distinguished road
I love epilogues. Moreover, you seem stoked to do it. That's great energy to use, so I'd say go for it.
Knigel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-2013, 10:54 AM   #14
Shaley

Quote:
Originally Posted by Knigel View Post
I love epilogues. Moreover, you seem stoked to do it. That's great energy to use, so I'd say go for it.
Thanks KNIGEL ........ not sure I am that stoked about it ....... mostly because it is really hard to write and also because this will be the first time I have ever attempted an Epilogue ....... and I must confess I have never been a lover of Epilogues I tend to find them annoying BUT in this case I felt one was completely necessary for a number of reasons ...... I have sent it out to a couple of Beta Readers and after a lot of discussion and too - ing and fro - ing they have also agreed that including an Epilogue is the best road to take at the moment ........ so fingers crossed it all works out well !!
Old 02-06-2013, 11:23 AM   #15
blacbird
That hairy-handed gent

blacbird is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsblacbird is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsblacbird is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsblacbird is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsblacbird is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsblacbird is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsblacbird is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsblacbird is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsblacbird is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsblacbird is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsblacbird is so great that we've run out of appropriate compliments
Obviously it's been done, and by successful writers. Which means, obviously, that it depends on the story, and no sensible answer to this question can be given lacking that context.

All that said, I think epilogues differ from prologues in one important aspect: Almost nobody writes an epilogue until the story is completed (at least I believe that to be the case). Many many many, as in TOO MANY writers concoct a prologue before they've written word one of the actual story. That is the standard path to horrible info-dump and hamstringing of the actual story. A prologue, like an epilogue, is an addendum, something to be appended to the body of the story, and best written only when it becomes apparent as a necessity, and that should be apparent only after the actual story actually exists.

caw
Old 02-10-2013, 04:08 PM   #16
Shaley

Smile

Quote:
Originally Posted by blacbird View Post
Obviously it's been done, and by successful writers. Which means, obviously, that it depends on the story, and no sensible answer to this question can be given lacking that context.

All that said, I think epilogues differ from prologues in one important aspect: Almost nobody writes an epilogue until the story is completed (at least I believe that to be the case). Many many many, as in TOO MANY writers concoct a prologue before they've written word one of the actual story. That is the standard path to horrible info-dump and hamstringing of the actual story. A prologue, like an epilogue, is an addendum, something to be appended to the body of the story, and best written only when it becomes apparent as a necessity, and that should be apparent only after the actual story actually exists.

caw
Thanks Blacbird for your wise words I have finished the epilogue now and am more than pleased with the direction it took. What I have learnt from this is that ... Sometimes I think when you are unsure about something you just have to sit down and get on with it rather than procrastinate about the good the bad and the ugly ..... for forever and a day .... If it works .... then thats good .... If it doesnt ..... try another door !!
Old 02-10-2013, 04:59 PM   #17
writingguy
American in England

writingguy is on a distinguished road
Forgive me if I'm misunderstanding, but it sounds like the story stands alone (is "complete") without the epilogue. Otherwise you wouldn't be questioning whether it belongs there, it would just be the last chapter.

In which case, I'd say - why not go for it? If later on you don't think it works, or you get it to an agent/editor who doesn't think it works, you could probably remove it without damaging the main body of the story.
writingguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-2013, 10:52 PM   #18
helloCharlie

helloCharlie is on a distinguished road
I agree with questioning whether adding a epilogue is necessary or not. For me, personally, I tend to find epilogue to be a bit irksome. Often, or at least the ones I've come across, tend to feel rushed. It is almost as if the writer wanted a quick ending. Also, it is good to consider the fact that a epilogue can ruin an already satisfying ending. As what others said, in the end, it is ultimately up to you. However, I personally would walk away from the idea unless it is meant to wrap up the plot in the way that will lead to more to come i.e. if there is a sequel.
helloCharlie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-11-2013, 02:44 PM   #19
Shaley

Quote:
Originally Posted by writingguy View Post
Forgive me if I'm misunderstanding, but it sounds like the story stands alone (is "complete") without the epilogue. Otherwise you wouldn't be questioning whether it belongs there, it would just be the last chapter.

In which case, I'd say - why not go for it? If later on you don't think it works, or you get it to an agent/editor who doesn't think it works, you could probably remove it without damaging the main body of the story.
Thanks for your very valid points .... I agree yes it is very Questionable whether or not I should include the epilogue .... at this point i think I will cos of the sequel and also cos it brings the reader back to a happier funnier place from where I left them in the final chapter ..... so I guess there is a dual purpose ..... but still, if I am lucky enough to be picked up by an agent/ editor/ publisher and they say Toss it out ...... I will !!
Old 02-12-2013, 03:30 PM   #20
Bec de Corbin
figuring it all out

Bec de Corbin is on a distinguished road
I'd say it has a lot to do with how long the epilogue is. A short, startling, and to-the-point one usually flows better, in my opinion, than a lengthy wrap-up.

It all comes down to the rhythm of the story. Does the ending feel abrupt and unsatisfying? Or are you winded, so to speak, by the time you reach the final chapter? If it's the latter, even the best epilogue might be too much. I've been dealing with this in my own manuscript, and it's not an easy decision to make.

Best of luck!
Bec de Corbin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-12-2013, 03:36 PM   #21
shaldna
The cake is a lie. But still cake.

shaldna is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsshaldna is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsshaldna is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsshaldna is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsshaldna is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsshaldna is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsshaldna is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsshaldna is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsshaldna is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsshaldna is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsshaldna is so great that we've run out of appropriate compliments
I'm with everyone else here when I say that you need to consider if the story NEEDS and epilogue. What are your reasons for writing one? If it's because it adds to the story then go for it. If it's because YOU as the writer just can't let go yet then you need to really think about it.

And consider, why an epilogue? Is there anything in it that can't be contained in the main body of the book? Does it add anything?

I can't answer for you, and there's not necessarily a right or wrong answer as each story is different.

Yes, I read Twilight. Yes, I hate it. No, I don't have to give you a reason why.

shaldna is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-12-2013, 04:22 PM   #22
sohalt
practical experience, FTW

sohalt leaves trails of profuse coolnesssohalt leaves trails of profuse coolnesssohalt leaves trails of profuse coolnesssohalt leaves trails of profuse coolnesssohalt leaves trails of profuse coolness
Can I hijack this and ask about my own WIP-epilogue problem?

Following scenario: Somewhat downer ending. Apocalypse narrowly avoided at high cost to the heroes, one of the main characters died, lovers potentially separated forever, sacrifices left and right, fate of some minor characters unresolved. Epilogue designed to push it more towards bitter-sweet: 10 years later, show that sacrifices were not in vain and situation is really quite improved as the sacrificee would have hoped for, minor characters safe and sound, lovers get a glimpse of hope of finding a way to reunite.

Useful epilogue, yes or no?
Old 02-13-2013, 11:08 AM   #23
Bec de Corbin
figuring it all out

Bec de Corbin is on a distinguished road
I think it depends entirely on how YOU want the story to feel at the end: bitter-sweet, or just plain bitter? I would favor the former, but I am a sap.
Bec de Corbin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-13-2013, 02:43 PM   #24
Shaley

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bec de Corbin View Post
I'd say it has a lot to do with how long the epilogue is. A short, startling, and to-the-point one usually flows better, in my opinion, than a lengthy wrap-up.

It all comes down to the rhythm of the story. Does the ending feel abrupt and unsatisfying? Or are you winded, so to speak, by the time you reach the final chapter? If it's the latter, even the best epilogue might be too much. I've been dealing with this in my own manuscript, and it's not an easy decision to make.

Best of luck!
Thanks Bec ..... I totally agree with you about the rhythm ..... I think this is a very important element to seriously consider for any captivating prose ...... and I think this is one of the reasons why aside from a switch in tone that I have considered including an Epilogue .... I agree with you it is not an easy decison to make and it also depends very much on the Genre ..... I think because mine is a comedy it is more difficult to make the decision to include it or not
Best of Luck to you too !!
Old 02-13-2013, 03:10 PM   #25
CChampeau
The ever absent-minded

CChampeau is on a distinguished road
For whatever reason, I despise epilogues.

"The truth will set you free."
CChampeau is offline   Reply With Quote