Read Books By AWers!

Welcome to the AbsoluteWrite Water Cooler! Please read The Newbie Guide To Absolute Write

editing for authors ad

A publisher or agency using Google ads to solicit your novel probably isn't anyone you want to write for.

Go Back   Absolute Write Water Cooler > Discussion > AW Roundtable
Register FAQ Calendar Mark Forums Read

Old 02-05-2013, 07:48 AM   #1
Justin K
practical experience, FTW

Justin K is on a distinguished road
Checkmate

Remember that scene (FROM TV) where the main characters chat over the chessboard and then one gets checkmated just before the scene ends? Can I use this formula in my script and still respect myself in the morning?
Justin K is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-05-2013, 08:03 AM   #2
Williebee
"Assume Good Intentions"
SuperModerator

Williebee is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsWilliebee is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsWilliebee is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsWilliebee is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsWilliebee is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsWilliebee is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsWilliebee is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsWilliebee is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsWilliebee is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsWilliebee is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsWilliebee is so great that we've run out of appropriate compliments
Sure, as long as it works. If, reading through it, the reader sees it coming three lines before you get there? It didn't work.

"There's a Voodoo Game on in the Crescent City. Pray for the Pawns."

Available now where all kinds of cool books are sold.
Kobo Kindle Nook iBook
More stories by Eldon Hughes -- "I Found A Knife"

Read the Newbie Guide.

"We're writers; we own our words. Please choose them to add light and not just heat."
Williebee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-05-2013, 09:23 AM   #3
Dorky

Dorky has a spectacular aura
I don't see why not.

Just make sure that if you mention any movement of pieces that what you've described is not an illegal move
Old 02-06-2013, 06:17 AM   #4
PortableHal
Not-so-new

PortableHal has a spectacular aura
Nope, because you already don't respect the idea of using it. If you end up going with the scene, you'll only remove it later.

Save yourself the grief and look for something else.
Old 02-06-2013, 10:27 AM   #5
Bartholomew
我的身分還是秘密.

Bartholomew is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsBartholomew is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsBartholomew is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsBartholomew is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsBartholomew is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsBartholomew is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsBartholomew is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsBartholomew is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsBartholomew is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsBartholomew is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsBartholomew is so great that we've run out of appropriate compliments
Quote:
Originally Posted by PortableHal View Post
Nope, because you already don't respect the idea of using it. If you end up going with the scene, you'll only remove it later.

Save yourself the grief and look for something else.
Having a functional understanding of tropes does not mean you don't respect what they do. It means you're analytic enough to notice them.

Do you need cover art or illustrations? I sell that.
Bartholomew is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-2013, 11:10 AM   #6
lolchemist
Shooting stars.

lolchemist has earned our admirationlolchemist has earned our admirationlolchemist has earned our admirationlolchemist has earned our admiration
No matter how you write the scene you're always going to have one reader who goes 'Ughh!!! Really? Checkmate?? Really?' as long as you're okay with that, do whatever you want.

Current WIP (YA Contemporary) - Book 1: 32,958 of 90,000 X Book 2: 40,359 of 90,000
Current WIP (YA Fantasy) - Book 1: 68,055 of 75,000 x Book 2:
10,512 of 75,000
x Book 3:
09,962 of 75,000 x Book 4:
12,490 of 75,000
lolchemist is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-2013, 03:44 PM   #7
RichardGarfinkle
Shipping Tropos
AW Moderator

RichardGarfinkle is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsRichardGarfinkle is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsRichardGarfinkle is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsRichardGarfinkle is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsRichardGarfinkle is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsRichardGarfinkle is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsRichardGarfinkle is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsRichardGarfinkle is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsRichardGarfinkle is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsRichardGarfinkle is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsRichardGarfinkle is so great that we've run out of appropriate compliments
Just so long as you don't have the following sequence.

Player A: {Clever statements} Check.

Player B: {Cleverer Statements} Checkmate.

This never ever happens.

More seriously, if you do use the standard checkmate trope what you are showing is that your players are not that good. Games between really good players are rarely played out to mate. Usually if one player gains enough of an advantage the other player resigns.

Overdue Considerations -- my blog

Now on Smashwords
RichardGarfinkle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-2013, 04:37 PM   #8
shaldna
The cake is a lie. But still cake.

shaldna is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsshaldna is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsshaldna is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsshaldna is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsshaldna is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsshaldna is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsshaldna is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsshaldna is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsshaldna is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsshaldna is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsshaldna is so great that we've run out of appropriate compliments
So long as you understand the difference between check and checkmate.

Yes, I read Twilight. Yes, I hate it. No, I don't have to give you a reason why.

shaldna is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-2013, 05:00 PM   #9
onesecondglance
pretending to be awake

onesecondglance is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsonesecondglance is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsonesecondglance is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsonesecondglance is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsonesecondglance is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsonesecondglance is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsonesecondglance is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsonesecondglance is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsonesecondglance is so great that we've run out of appropriate compliments
Quote:
Originally Posted by RichardGarfinkle View Post
Just so long as you don't have the following sequence.

Player A: {Clever statements} Check.

Player B: {Cleverer Statements} Checkmate.

This never ever happens.

More seriously, if you do use the standard checkmate trope what you are showing is that your players are not that good. Games between really good players are rarely played out to mate. Usually if one player gains enough of an advantage the other player resigns.
My favourite is this one:

Player A: {clever statements} Check.

Player B: {stands up to leave, as if resigning, also some clever statements - then, as if only just remembering they have to make a move, moves one seemingly insignificant piece} I think that's checkmate.

Player A: Wh-whaaaaa!?

I write music. | I gave in and joined twitter. | And I have a blog too.
onesecondglance is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-2013, 05:07 PM   #10
Cyia
Rewriting My Destiny

Cyia is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsCyia is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsCyia is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsCyia is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsCyia is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsCyia is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsCyia is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsCyia is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsCyia is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsCyia is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsCyia is so great that we've run out of appropriate compliments
You can always do a variation of it. Player A never wins at chess with Player B, but at the end of the novel, when Player A has accomplished his goal, Player B finds (or gets in the mail) a king lying on its side. "Checkmate" implied.

Cyia is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-2013, 11:31 PM   #11
Justin K

Justin K is on a distinguished road
These are all good observations for how not to do the scene. I actually love chess, so naturally I'd like to incorporate it into a screenplay I'm working on. I think I want to do a better job portraying the game, like having the characters play through a full game amidst plot related dialogue. Then they can play at each other with metaphoric moves relating to the plot, and get into a fight over something obscure.

For instance.. half way through the game:

Person A: sacrifices valuable piece
Person B: ridicules person A for not caring what he loses if he thinks it will benefit him
Person A: asks what thats supposed to mean

..game becomes more furious, subsequently ending in stalemate, or a board flip, or a fist fight (just something more interesting than checkmate)
Justin K is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-08-2013, 12:25 AM   #12
Buffysquirrel
Possibly not a real squirrel

Buffysquirrel is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsBuffysquirrel is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsBuffysquirrel is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsBuffysquirrel is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsBuffysquirrel is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsBuffysquirrel is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsBuffysquirrel is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsBuffysquirrel is so great that we've run out of appropriate compliments
Hmm. *quietly removes scene from trunk novel*

Wasn't actually chess. But hmmm anyway.
Writing from a female point of view seems to be generally regarded as something more like writing from the perspective of a deer: you might get points for novelty, but it'd be impossible to get right, and who really wants to hear a deer narrate a story, anyway? Jennifer duBois

Self-sacrifice is vile. Joanna Russ

The Little Dog Laughed
Buffysquirrel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-09-2013, 06:01 AM   #13
Samsonet
Star light, star bright...

Samsonet has a spectacular auraSamsonet has a spectacular aura
I know that it's supposed to symbolize the battle of wits the players are having, but I always thought it would be amusing for the smarter person to win the argument but lose the game. Like this:
Player A: <clever statements>
Player B: <cleverer statements> Check. <stands up to leave>
Player A: <speechless, but moves a piece. Meekly> Checkmate.
→ Eloise White
Samsonet is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 02-09-2013, 07:28 PM   #14
benbenberi

benbenberi is a glorious beacon of lightbenbenberi is a glorious beacon of light
Or how about:
Player A: <clever statement> Check
Player B: I didn't see that coming! <talks about some other topic of mutual interest & frowns at the board in perplexity>
Player A: <very clever statement about the other topic>
<brief dialogue on the other topic, one or two rounds of moves, Player A is confident & clever>
Player B: Checkmate!
Player A: <speechless>
benbenberi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-09-2013, 07:30 PM   #15
James D. Macdonald
Your Genial Uncle
Absolute Sage

James D. Macdonald is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsJames D. Macdonald is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsJames D. Macdonald is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsJames D. Macdonald is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsJames D. Macdonald is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsJames D. Macdonald is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsJames D. Macdonald is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsJames D. Macdonald is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsJames D. Macdonald is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsJames D. Macdonald is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsJames D. Macdonald is so great that we've run out of appropriate compliments
Player A: {witty statement} Check.

Someone unexpected rushes into the room and delivers totally unexpected news to Player A.

Player B: Checkmate.

(The game is abandoned.)
Old 02-10-2013, 03:56 PM   #16
bearilou
DenturePunk writer

bearilou is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsbearilou is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsbearilou is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsbearilou is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsbearilou is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsbearilou is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsbearilou is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsbearilou is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsbearilou is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsbearilou is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsbearilou is so great that we've run out of appropriate compliments
Quote:
Originally Posted by Justin K View Post
..game becomes more furious, subsequently ending in stalemate, or a board flip, or a fist fight (just something more interesting than checkmate)
I'm a huge fan of full-contact chess.
The first draft is a huge pile of clay that you've laboriously heaped on your table, patting it into a rough shape as you go along. From the second draft onward, you'll cut away chunks, add bits, pat and punch and pinch, until you finally have a gorgeous figure of, oh, Marcus Aurelius. Or a duck. But a damn fine duck.
Quote:
Originally Posted by KTC View Post
1) Write like your face is on fire.
I tweet. Not often, maybe not interestingly, but I tweet.
My sort-of-not-really blog.

AW's Erotic Underground Anthology is here!
bearilou is offline   Reply With Quote