Read Books By AWers!

Welcome to the AbsoluteWrite Water Cooler! Please read The Newbie Guide To Absolute Write

editing for authors ad

A publisher or agency using Google ads to solicit your novel probably isn't anyone you want to write for.

Go Back   Absolute Write Water Cooler > General Writing Interest > Basic Writing Questions
Register FAQ Calendar Mark Forums Read

Old 02-03-2013, 08:36 PM   #1
Benedetto Youssef
practical experience, FTW

Benedetto Youssef is on a distinguished road
Finish before someone takes your idea!

I've known people who have seen a new movie or read a new book and then cursed their luck saying something like: "Oh I had that same idea why didn't I come out with it first.."

Now I know there are only a few actual original stories all based on the same general concepts or ideas, but does anyone ever feel this?

Sometimes I feel that if I don't hurry up and finish my book Hollywood or a more successful writer is going to think of a similar idea before I can come out with my own. Maybe it's silly of me to think so but I find I often think about it.

The Bone Thief Saga
Book 1: Tears of the Song Prince-->First Draft: 94,500/~90,000 words

my website:
www.BennJosef.com
Benedetto Youssef is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-03-2013, 08:38 PM   #2
DanielaTorre
Widely Regarded as a Bad Move

DanielaTorre has earned our admirationDanielaTorre has earned our admirationDanielaTorre has earned our admirationDanielaTorre has earned our admiration
It's happened to me but then I remember that I wouldn't written it anyway because I was lazy and then I get over it.

That's a good motivator though. If nothing else, finish your story before someone else beats you to the punch.

I wouldn't deceive you for the world...
DanielaTorre is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-03-2013, 08:42 PM   #3
WillSauger
The Crazy Man in the Sun. Feel me.

WillSauger is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsWillSauger is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsWillSauger is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsWillSauger is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsWillSauger is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsWillSauger is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsWillSauger is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsWillSauger is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsWillSauger is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsWillSauger is so great that we've run out of appropriate compliments
There is nothing new under the sun.

Get to writing, but don't force yourself. No matter what idea/concept you have for the story, there's already a story out there matching it perfectly. Stop worrying about it. Focus on writing a good story and nothing else.

"The illiterate of the 21st century will not be those who cannot read and write, but those who cannot learn, unlearn, and relearn" -- Alvin Toffler.

"The heights of great men reached and kept were not attained by sudden flight, but they while their companions slept, were toiling upward in the night" -- Henry Wadsworth Longfellow.
WillSauger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-03-2013, 08:46 PM   #4
Corussa
I fight like a dairy farmer

Corussa is a glorious beacon of lightCorussa is a glorious beacon of lightCorussa is a glorious beacon of light
Quote:
Originally Posted by DanielaTorre View Post
That's a good motivator though. If nothing else, finish your story before someone else beats you to the punch.
Seconding this.

As you say, Benedetto, there is a finite number of basic stories. And as Ambrose Bierce says: 'There is nothing new under the sun but there are lots of old things we don't know.'

So essentially: don't stress yourself out too much about whether other people are producing similar ideas. But use it as a motivator if that works for you.

The Wrecklings (Corussa 1) - 92k, draft #137ish
The Retosphere (Corussa 2) - 51K, first (short) draft still gathering dust
The Insert-Title-Here (Corussa 3) - Will be written once Wrecklings and Retosphere are done and dusted!
The Crown Capassia (Corussa 4) - Ah ha. Ah ha ha ha
Corussa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-03-2013, 08:46 PM   #5
Corussa

Corussa is a glorious beacon of lightCorussa is a glorious beacon of lightCorussa is a glorious beacon of light
Rats, Will got in with Bierce first. Curses!

The Insert-Title-Here (Corussa 3) - Will be written once Wrecklings and Retosphere are done and dusted!
Old 02-03-2013, 08:48 PM   #6
Bufty
Let's see what's on special today..

Bufty is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsBufty is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsBufty is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsBufty is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsBufty is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsBufty is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsBufty is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsBufty is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsBufty is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsBufty is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsBufty is so great that we've run out of appropriate compliments
Do you honestly think someone else has written exactly the same story in exactly the same manner, with the same characters, situation, scenery, dialogue, subplots.....

Write what you are writing to the best of your ability- that's all you can do.

Nobody is interested in your idea.

ETA -re reminders below. Thanks guys.

O
ooooops - my mistake, and yes, I meant nobody was interested in 'stealing' your idea.

Please don't think nobody is interested in your idea - I'd hate to see a grown man cry.

Last edited by Bufty; 02-03-2013 at 09:05 PM.
Bufty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-03-2013, 08:56 PM   #7
Corussa

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bufty View Post
Just to clarify, but do you mean specifically 'Nobody is interested in taking your idea'?

As opposed to 'Nobody will be interested in buying your book because of the idea behind it' or 'Nobody happens to be interested in the same idea that you have had, independently'?

Because as I understood it, the OP isn't worried about people stealing his ideas, just about someone else having the same idea quite by chance, and getting it out first.

Hope I've not misunderstood!

Old 02-03-2013, 08:58 PM   #8
bearilou
DenturePunk writer

bearilou is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsbearilou is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsbearilou is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsbearilou is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsbearilou is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsbearilou is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsbearilou is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsbearilou is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsbearilou is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsbearilou is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsbearilou is so great that we've run out of appropriate compliments
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bufty View Post

Quote:
Originally Posted by Benedetto Youssef View Post
Sometimes I feel that if I don't hurry up and finish my book Hollywood or a more successful writer is going to think of a similar idea before I can come out with my own. Maybe it's silly of me to think so but I find I often think about it.
Me too, Benedetto. Me too. Doesn't matter if it's an irrational fear. I know it is. I still have it from time to time.
The first draft is a huge pile of clay that you've laboriously heaped on your table, patting it into a rough shape as you go along. From the second draft onward, you'll cut away chunks, add bits, pat and punch and pinch, until you finally have a gorgeous figure of, oh, Marcus Aurelius. Or a duck. But a damn fine duck.
Quote:
Originally Posted by KTC View Post
1) Write like your face is on fire.
I tweet. Not often, maybe not interestingly, but I tweet.
My sort-of-not-really blog.

AW's Erotic Underground Anthology is here!
bearilou is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 02-03-2013, 09:00 PM   #9
jaksen
Caped Codder

jaksen is a candidate for sainthoodjaksen is a candidate for sainthoodjaksen is a candidate for sainthoodjaksen is a candidate for sainthoodjaksen is a candidate for sainthoodjaksen is a candidate for sainthoodjaksen is a candidate for sainthoodjaksen is a candidate for sainthood
I write two short mystery series. One features a twelve-year old boy who discovers a dead body in a marsh. Whoops! Should I have done that? A boy detective? A boy who helps the police, though the police tend to underestimate his abilities, send him off, tell him to go home and play with this toys, etc etc. Hasn't this been done a million times before? Well, I've sold 20+ stories featuring this boy.

Got another series, 'reformed' drug dealer now helping the cops and running from the syndicate she once belonged to. Whoops! Already done a million times! Bad guy (girl) gone good, helping the authorities.

Your take on whatever it is you're writing will always be unique to you, and unless you copy someone else word-for-word, details, locale, dialgoue, location, plot, etc., you're okay. You're good.

Write your story.

Eeyore was saying to himself, “This writing business. Pencils and what-not. Over-rated if you ask me. Silly stuff. Nothing in it.” A.A. Milne
jaksen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-03-2013, 09:02 PM   #10
Zach Lancer

Zach Lancer is well-respected
No matter what your idea is, you can bet your ass it's been done in one form or another countless times. Ideas don't sell stories anyway, execution does. To use a cooking metaphor, you shouldn't worry about someone using the same ingredients as you, you should concentrate on making the best dish you can make of those same ingredients.
Old 02-03-2013, 09:02 PM   #11
onesecondglance
pretending to be awake

onesecondglance is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsonesecondglance is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsonesecondglance is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsonesecondglance is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsonesecondglance is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsonesecondglance is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsonesecondglance is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsonesecondglance is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsonesecondglance is so great that we've run out of appropriate compliments
Quote:
Originally Posted by Corussa View Post
Just to clarify, but do you mean specifically 'Nobody is interested in taking your idea'?

As opposed to 'Nobody will be interested in buying your book because of the idea behind it' or 'Nobody happens to be interested in the same idea that you have had, independently'?

Because as I understood it, the OP isn't worried about people stealing his ideas, just about someone else having the same idea quite by chance, and getting it out first.

Hope I've not misunderstood!
Ideas are easy. Coming up with decent plots and characters that people care about - that's hard.

A good writer can make a good story out of an ordinary idea. Even the best idea in the world won't make a great story happen just by itself.

I write music. | I gave in and joined twitter. | And I have a blog too.
onesecondglance is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 02-03-2013, 09:05 PM   #12
Neporsche
Tribal Scribe

Neporsche is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsNeporsche is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsNeporsche is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsNeporsche is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsNeporsche is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsNeporsche is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsNeporsche is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsNeporsche is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsNeporsche is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsNeporsche is so great that we've run out of appropriate compliments
I think this is an almost universal misunderstanding. It isn't the fact that someone takes your idea, rather the question is will you persevere through drafts, revisions, editing, and querying, until you see your work published? Probably even more important is, will you ignore all those reasonable arguments your subconscious will offer as to why you should stop writing and do something more sensible.

Life is not always a matter of holding good cards, but sometimes, playing a poor hand well.- Jack London
Neporsche is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-03-2013, 09:07 PM   #13
Roden Addison
Conscious Competent.

Location: I live a relatively rustic lifestyle in northern BC, Canada. Good fishing, good hunting.
Roden Addison is on a distinguished road
I'm a musician. I've often wondered at the fact that if a song is written in a major key, there are only seven essential sounds: do, re, mi, fa, so, la, and ti. The second 'do' is an octave so I'm not including it. Octaves are simply square of the previous frequency of the same letter name.

Likely 70% (made it up) of all western (not country) music is derived from that scale. Even the minor scales derive directly from the major scale pattern. (You can read about modes if you're really interested.)

Melodies, chords, arpeggios—everything tonal used in the song is taken from that scale. When you realize that, your question disappears. It's not the scale, it's not the words, it's not even the story—it's the way it's put together. In otherwords, it's the creativity of the individual behind it that makes it unique.

Have a listen to Louis Armstrong singing Ain't Misbehavin'. Then have a listen to Candy by Paolo Nutini or Danse Russe by Hurt.

I'm sure glad they didn't say, "Damn! Someone already wrote a love song."

Dude! It's about you! It's about your creativity and the way you would say it.

The Widow: A Romantic, Erotic Western
Roden Addison is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-03-2013, 09:10 PM   #14
Chris P
Likes metaphors mixed, not stirred

Chris P is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsChris P is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsChris P is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsChris P is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsChris P is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsChris P is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsChris P is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsChris P is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsChris P is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsChris P is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsChris P is so great that we've run out of appropriate compliments
Yes, we all know that each variation on a theme is different, and all that. But I've wondered if, since most of us are exposed to more-or-less the same influences (current events, blockbuster films, shared societal experiences), good ideas tend to be thought of by many people at once. What inspires one person will inspire several others in the same way.

Rather then worry about plagiarism or people stealing my idea, is it more realistic that the market will suddenly get flooded by 12 year old detectives or reformed drug dealers? That's what runs through my mind whenever a story reminds me of one of mine. I don't want to be seen as a bandwagoner.

Click here to see a video of my two years in Uganda with the Peace Corps

Resingled Needs another round of betas. Interested?
Nyasaland Undergoing major repairs.
WIP: Cloak of Iron. WWI Sci-fi. It's got tanks. And holograms. 43,000 words.
Chris P is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-03-2013, 09:22 PM   #15
Susan Littlefield
Tell it like it Is

Susan Littlefield is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsSusan Littlefield is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsSusan Littlefield is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsSusan Littlefield is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsSusan Littlefield is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsSusan Littlefield is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsSusan Littlefield is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsSusan Littlefield is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsSusan Littlefield is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsSusan Littlefield is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsSusan Littlefield is so great that we've run out of appropriate compliments
Smile

Quote:
I've known people who have seen a new movie or read a new book and then cursed their luck saying something like: "Oh I had that same idea why didn't I come out with it first.."

Now I know there are only a few actual original stories all based on the same general concepts or ideas, but does anyone ever feel this?
No, because it's not the idea that matters but the execution of the idea.

Please visit my website: http://www.susanlittlefield.blogspot.com/

Susan Littlefield is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-03-2013, 10:17 PM   #16
bearilou
DenturePunk writer

bearilou is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsbearilou is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsbearilou is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsbearilou is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsbearilou is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsbearilou is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsbearilou is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsbearilou is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsbearilou is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsbearilou is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsbearilou is so great that we've run out of appropriate compliments
Well, it's certainly disheartening when you tell someone about what you're writing/you've written and that someone says 'oh, that's just like [insert movie/book/song]'.

Just like

Technically, no it most likely won't be, but many people, when reading or listening or watching something, have a tendency to start drawing comparisons. "Oh, it's just like [insert here]. That's so overdone."

It does tend to suck the wind from your sails until you can get back on your feet again and keep moving forward (hopefully) confident that it may sound like it is similar, but in most probability, it isn't anything like it.
The first draft is a huge pile of clay that you've laboriously heaped on your table, patting it into a rough shape as you go along. From the second draft onward, you'll cut away chunks, add bits, pat and punch and pinch, until you finally have a gorgeous figure of, oh, Marcus Aurelius. Or a duck. But a damn fine duck.
Quote:
Originally Posted by KTC View Post
1) Write like your face is on fire.
I tweet. Not often, maybe not interestingly, but I tweet.
My sort-of-not-really blog.

AW's Erotic Underground Anthology is here!
bearilou is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 02-03-2013, 10:24 PM   #17
buzhidao
can totally spell Brobdinrgnagrian

buzhidao is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsbuzhidao is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsbuzhidao is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsbuzhidao is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsbuzhidao is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsbuzhidao is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsbuzhidao is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsbuzhidao is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsbuzhidao is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsbuzhidao is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsbuzhidao is so great that we've run out of appropriate compliments
My bigger worry is that I'm writing something that has already been done. Of course it's never been done my way but if something else is similar enough to the idea, it's likely to piss me off and put me off the project anyway...

Yes. I'm like that.

Quote:
Originally Posted by bearilou View Post
Well, it's certainly disheartening when you tell someone about what you're writing/you've written and that someone says 'oh, that's just like [insert movie/book/song]'.

Just like

Technically, no it most likely won't be, but many people, when reading or listening or watching something, have a tendency to start drawing comparisons. "Oh, it's just like [insert here]. That's so overdone."

It does tend to suck the wind from your sails until you can get back on your feet again and keep moving forward (hopefully) confident that it may sound like it is similar, but in most probability, it isn't anything like it.
...er, this. I guess. (I haven't gotten to the "moving forward" bit yet...we'll see.)

Last edited by buzhidao; 02-03-2013 at 10:29 PM.
buzhidao is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-03-2013, 10:43 PM   #18
JulianneQJohnson
has no socks

JulianneQJohnson leaves trails of profuse coolnessJulianneQJohnson leaves trails of profuse coolnessJulianneQJohnson leaves trails of profuse coolnessJulianneQJohnson leaves trails of profuse coolnessJulianneQJohnson leaves trails of profuse coolness
Quote:
*snipped*
I do sometimes feel this way. The book I'm currently shopping to agents has a different twist on your average ghost story. I'm not saying it's an amazing twist, or than no one else has ever thought of it, but it's not something I've come across before. Sometimes I do worry that someone will beat me to it.

Then I try to shake my headand get over it. After all, even if someone does, no one else will write that story quite like you. My book might not be the next great American novel, but it's good. No one else will write that twist like I have.

Consider also the miriad of books written on a common theme, such as "star-crossed" lovers. Just because that theme exists, it doesn't mean that it can't be done, or that it can't be done brilliantly. Common themes are common because people enjoy them, after all.

Pictures and Words- my writing blog

Or join me on Tumblr

JulianneQJohnson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-03-2013, 10:47 PM   #19
jjdebenedictis
is watching you via her avatar

jjdebenedictis is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsjjdebenedictis is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsjjdebenedictis is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsjjdebenedictis is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsjjdebenedictis is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsjjdebenedictis is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsjjdebenedictis is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsjjdebenedictis is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsjjdebenedictis is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsjjdebenedictis is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsjjdebenedictis is so great that we've run out of appropriate compliments
If two authors, in isolation, write a book based on exactly the same concept, they will have created two very different books.

This is why copyright law protects only the finished art--the thing that can be put on a shelf and sold. Ideas aren't saleable. They don't have "worth".

Think of all the people who said "I came up with that idea a while ago."

How many of them could have--right now--executed a Hollywood-quality movie or a publishable book? How many of them have that much skill?

The idea is nothing. The brilliant execution of that idea is what the audience is paying for.
Old 02-03-2013, 11:04 PM   #20
Al Stevens

Al Stevens leaves trails of profuse coolnessAl Stevens leaves trails of profuse coolnessAl Stevens leaves trails of profuse coolnessAl Stevens leaves trails of profuse coolnessAl Stevens leaves trails of profuse coolness
Quote:
Originally Posted by Roden Addison View Post
I've often wondered at the fact that if a song is written in a major key, there are only seven essential sounds: do, re, mi, fa, so, la, and ti. The second 'do' is an octave so I'm not including it.
There are twelve tones.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Roden Addison View Post
Octaves are simply square of the previous frequency of the same letter name.
An octave above is twice the frequency of the current note, not its square.
Al Stevens is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-04-2013, 01:36 AM   #21
Roxxsmom
Benefactor Member

Roxxsmom is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsRoxxsmom is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsRoxxsmom is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsRoxxsmom is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsRoxxsmom is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsRoxxsmom is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsRoxxsmom is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsRoxxsmom is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsRoxxsmom is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsRoxxsmom is so great that we've run out of appropriate compliments
Quote:

Someone's already taken your idea, or at least some aspects of it, many, many times. Since I've been writing my own novel, I've run across some similar things in different novels I've been reading. At some point, I think you just have to write your heart out and realize that there's nothing completely new under the sun.

My twitter - My FB - My blog
Roxxsmom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-04-2013, 03:10 AM   #22
ChristinaLayton
Banned

ChristinaLayton has a spectacular aura
Quote:
Originally Posted by WillSauger View Post
There is nothing new under the sun.

Get to writing, but don't force yourself. No matter what idea/concept you have for the story, there's already a story out there matching it perfectly. Stop worrying about it. Focus on writing a good story and nothing else.

Exactly.
ChristinaLayton is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-04-2013, 05:35 AM   #23
Benedetto Youssef

Benedetto Youssef is on a distinguished road
I guess you guys are right, but I mean there are some ideas that are truly original even though they bother from some things such as mythology.

Harry Potter in my opinion was completely original...even though its good vs evil and everything the idea was just so fresh and so different.

The Bone Thief Saga
Book 1: Tears of the Song Prince-->First Draft: 94,500/~90,000 words

my website:
www.BennJosef.com
Benedetto Youssef is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-04-2013, 06:30 AM   #24
Wilde_at_heart
Shameless attention-whore...

Wilde_at_heart has a double-platinum reputationWilde_at_heart has a double-platinum reputationWilde_at_heart has a double-platinum reputationWilde_at_heart has a double-platinum reputationWilde_at_heart has a double-platinum reputationWilde_at_heart has a double-platinum reputationWilde_at_heart has a double-platinum reputation
I think I understand what you mean, OP, in that perhaps you are working on some 'concept' or premise and all of a sudden that same concept is The Bit Hit.
Like you had been working on a masterpiece romance between a normal high school girl and a vampire and then Twilight burst onto the scene and you're wondering who on earth would even care for it now.

Now I haven't done much research on novel pitches, but in the film world, every producer is looking for The Next ________ and queries often have things like One Huge Hit meets Other Huge Hit.

So you can see it as either your story is harder to sell, or it makes the pitch easier. After all, if something is a hit, it shows there's an audience for it, and after they've read/seen that, they probably want more.

http://twitter.com/wilde_at_heart

WIPs:
Destination Wedding, 84K - Querying
Untitled Urban Fantasy 96K + NA prequel, 99K
Ashmi vs the Demoness 90K - polishing
Fantasy set in a desert... outlined, on first draft
Wilde_at_heart is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-04-2013, 08:10 AM   #25
katci13
creative genie

katci13 is a glorious beacon of lightkatci13 is a glorious beacon of lightkatci13 is a glorious beacon of light
Don't waste time worrying about it. Just write it and do the best you can. It's really the only thing you can do except give up.

I understand though. I never followed through on an R&R with an agent (I didn't want to, but that's besides the point). A few years later a similar book came out and then blew up crazy big a couple years after that. I never regretted my decision to move on from that story, but it was still kind of hard to deal with. The agent has said wonderful things about my story so I couldn't help but feel like I missed that boat entirely.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wilde_at_heart View Post
I think I understand what you mean, OP, in that perhaps you are working on some 'concept' or premise and all of a sudden that same concept is The Bit Hit.
Like you had been working on a masterpiece romance between a normal high school girl and a vampire and then Twilight burst onto the scene and you're wondering who on earth would even care for it now.

Now I haven't done much research on novel pitches, but in the film world, every producer is looking for The Next ________ and queries often have things like One Huge Hit meets Other Huge Hit.

So you can see it as either your story is harder to sell, or it makes the pitch easier. After all, if something is a hit, it shows there's an audience for it, and after they've read/seen that, they probably want more.
The thing about vampires though is that if you compare it to Twilight, the agent is immediately going to dismiss it. I didn't mention movies with my last query, but I had 3 agents tell me that the reason they rejected it was because vampires are too hard for them sell right now. One was an agent that said in her blog she wouldn't auto-reject a vampire story, but apparently, she does. I appreciate her telling me though.

That said, I know a writer who wrote a vampire book and got an agent about one month before I started shipping my last story around, but now no editors will pick it up.

Works in Progress:

Dark YA Fantasy (Drafting)
Dark YA Fantasy (Outlining)
YA Supernatural Horror (Drafting)
katci13 is offline   Reply With Quote