Read Books By AWers!

Welcome to the AbsoluteWrite Water Cooler! Please read The Newbie Guide To Absolute Write

editing for authors ad

A publisher or agency using Google ads to solicit your novel probably isn't anyone you want to write for.

Go Back   Absolute Write Water Cooler > Discussion > Bewares, Recommendations & Background Check
Register FAQ Calendar Mark Forums Read

Old 02-02-2013, 10:15 AM   #1
Al Davis
New Fish; Learning About Thick Skin

Al Davis is on a distinguished road
The Bukowski Agency

I am brand new to this forum. I am looking for an agent for my completed manuscript (my first). Has anyone heard of the Bukowski Agency in Toronto, Canada? Any bewares I should know about?
Al Davis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-02-2013, 11:51 AM   #2
Chris P
Likes metaphors mixed, not stirred

Chris P is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsChris P is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsChris P is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsChris P is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsChris P is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsChris P is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsChris P is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsChris P is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsChris P is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsChris P is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsChris P is so great that we've run out of appropriate compliments
Welcome to AW, Al! Kudos to you for getting background info before you submit. I could have saved myself TONS of heartache had I done that a few years ago.

Whenever you have a question about an agent, publisher, or magazine, check the index thread or do a search of the BR&BC forum here. If the person doesn't show up (as is the case here), start a new thread using the name of the agency as the thread title. It is helpful to provide a link to the webpage. I'm sure a moderator will be able to help you with this if you have trouble.

All that to say no, I've not dealt with them

Click here to see a video of my two years in Uganda with the Peace Corps

Resingled Needs another round of betas. Interested?
Nyasaland Undergoing major repairs.
WIP: Cloak of Iron. WWI Sci-fi. It's got tanks. And holograms. 43,000 words.
Chris P is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-02-2013, 12:42 PM   #3
aliceshortcake
Wilde about Oscar

aliceshortcake leaves trails of profuse coolnessaliceshortcake leaves trails of profuse coolnessaliceshortcake leaves trails of profuse coolnessaliceshortcake leaves trails of profuse coolnessaliceshortcake leaves trails of profuse coolness
Link: http://www.bukowskiagency.com/
Old 02-02-2013, 06:09 PM   #4
Chumplet
This hat is getting too hot

Chumplet is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsChumplet is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsChumplet is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsChumplet is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsChumplet is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsChumplet is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsChumplet is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsChumplet is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsChumplet is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsChumplet is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsChumplet is so great that we've run out of appropriate compliments
I have plans to submit to them -- I have the address sheet & requirements all printed out. I just haven't worked up the nerve yet. They do NOT take email queries and you have to be a resident of Canada to submit.

First 50 pages, brief synopsis and an SASE.

My Blog
My Website
I'm a Twit, too

Chumplet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-02-2013, 07:29 PM   #5
Al Davis

The Bukowski Agency

Thanks guys. So far I'm still liking this agency. How do I go about checking the "Index Thread"?
Old 02-02-2013, 07:58 PM   #6
Chris P

Chris P is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsChris P is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsChris P is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsChris P is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsChris P is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsChris P is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsChris P is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsChris P is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsChris P is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsChris P is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsChris P is so great that we've run out of appropriate compliments
Quote:
Originally Posted by Al Davis View Post
Thanks guys. So far I'm still liking this agency. How do I go about checking the "Index Thread"?
The Index Thread is one of the sticky threads when you click on the "Bewares, Recommendations, and Background Checks" forum. I linked to it in my post above.

I hope you have good results if you query them!

Old 02-02-2013, 08:10 PM   #7
James D. Macdonald
Your Genial Uncle
Absolute Sage

James D. Macdonald is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsJames D. Macdonald is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsJames D. Macdonald is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsJames D. Macdonald is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsJames D. Macdonald is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsJames D. Macdonald is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsJames D. Macdonald is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsJames D. Macdonald is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsJames D. Macdonald is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsJames D. Macdonald is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsJames D. Macdonald is so great that we've run out of appropriate compliments
INDEX TO AGENTS, PUBLISHERS, AND OTHERS

It's a sticky at the top of this forum. Go there and use your browser's search function to look for particular agents/publishers.
Old 02-02-2013, 08:36 PM   #8
Al Davis

Thanks again ... you guys are great!! Bukowski is not listed in the index. Is that a bad thing? I took their list of titles to a major book retailler in Toronto, and most of them were listed there. Many were in stock and on the shelf.
Old 02-02-2013, 08:50 PM   #9
CaoPaux
Mostly Harmless
SuperModerator

CaoPaux is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsCaoPaux is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsCaoPaux is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsCaoPaux is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsCaoPaux is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsCaoPaux is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsCaoPaux is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsCaoPaux is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsCaoPaux is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsCaoPaux is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsCaoPaux is so great that we've run out of appropriate compliments
Not being listed only means that no one's asked about them before. They'll be added in the next update.
I've never known any trouble that an hour's reading didn't assuage. -- Charles DeSecondat

2013: II2014:
CaoPaux is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-02-2013, 08:51 PM   #10
Al Davis

another dumb question ... What's a sticky?
Old 02-02-2013, 08:55 PM   #11
Chris P

Quote:
another dumb question ... What's a sticky?
There are no dumb questions. A "sticky" is a thread that is always at the top of the list of threads within a forum. When you click to come to this (or any forum) the top few threads will say "Sticky: Chris P is awesome" or whatever. The topics come up frequently, so it's easier to have them always at the top.

Old 02-03-2013, 08:24 AM   #12
Al Davis

Bukowski Agency

Thanks Chris and Caopaux. I think I'm fairly satisfied that this is a legitimate agency. I guess I'll start preparing a submission.
Old 02-17-2013, 08:12 PM   #13
Mandel

Mandel is on a distinguished road
They're definitely a legitimate agency. Denise has been in the business for many years in Canada and has signed and represented many well-regarded Canadian literary writers. She has a reputation as a hard-nosed negotiator who works hard to get good deals for her clients. I know she's irked some publishers in the past because of this.

I actually queried her about 12 years back when I'd had a fairly big story publication and she talked to me on the phone, which was quite generous of her. She explained that I'd need more than a few stories to sign with an agent, but was open to me once I had a novel ready to go. (I knew nothing about agenting at that point). The novel ended up being a lot further away than I'd imagined, so I never did approach her again, but it had nothing to do with her reputation.

She mainly (perhaps only) represents Canadian literary authors in fiction and nonfiction. One last thing - I've been involved in writing education for some time and I remember one of her clients told me once that Denise had wanted all requests for her time (reading, teaching etc) to go through her, and would have refused anything that was too low paying (which my program was at the time). So she had to make it clear to Denise that she'd be in charge of that part of her career. So definitely a tough cookie who fights for her authors, which is what you'd want in an agent.
Mandel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-17-2013, 11:55 PM   #14
merlot143
practical experience, FTW

merlot143 is on a distinguished road
Quote:
I am brand new to this forum. I am looking for an agent for my completed manuscript (my first). Has anyone heard of the Bukowski Agency in Toronto, Canada? Any bewares I should know about?
According to her website, she sees fiction only by referral. Open to non-fiction.
merlot143 is offline   Reply With Quote