• Guest please check The Index before starting a thread.

Exit 219 Publishing

veinglory

volitare nequeo
Self-Ban
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.veinglory.com
The aren't releasing their first books until next year, and no names are listed on the site, I am not sure that there is much to know--based on online information alone. I see nothing that would make me throw manuscripts in their direction.

justbishop

Proud Literary Sadist
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.ashleyheckman.com
In case an Exit 219 rep pops in, can I just ask why the heck an author should need to provide a "marketing plan"? I've seen several epubs asking for this, and I've never received a straight answer as to what it IS, exactly.

If I knew how to market (or edit, or format, or create top-notch cover art--all of which should be included in the cut the publisher takes, if I'm not mistaken about this entire business) a book, I would just self-publish and keep the whole dang cover price for myself. Further, shouldn't a house expecting the author to create their own marketing plan be paying higher royalties than those that do not?

Last edited:

exit219publishing

Registered
Reaction score
In case an Exit 219 rep pops in, can I just ask why the heck an author should need to provide a "marketing plan"? I've seen several epubs asking for this, and I've never received a straight answer as to what it IS, exactly.

If I knew how to market (or edit, or format, or create top-notch cover art--all of which should be included in the cut the publisher takes, if I'm not mistaken about this entire business) a book, I would just self-publish and keep the whole dang cover price for myself. Further, shouldn't a house expecting the author to create their own marketing plan be paying higher royalties than those that do not?

Great questions:

The purpose behind the author creating a marketing plan is to give us a feel of the author's intentions once the book comes out. As mentioned on our website we are a small press (3 on staff) and are not going to be able to provide the same marketing opportunities as a Random House or Penguin.

For example: Do you have a list of blogs that you frequent on a regular basis and can promote your book there? If not, then that's something we can help you begin to set up months before we release your work.

Last edited:

exit219publishing

Registered
Reaction score
First books in 2014?

Wait to see if they're still in business in 2017 before considering them.

Completely understand the skepticism. We know how fast publishing companies start up and then flame out. We also know how much blood, sweat, and tears go into your work and putting your manuscript's fate in the hands of an unknown is a terrifying feeling.

As for the release dates, we are hoping to have our first books out before Christmas, but we don't want to set false expectations. The editing process can sometimes be a looonnnnng process and we're focused on putting out the highest quality work possible for our readers.

veinglory

volitare nequeo
Self-Ban
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.veinglory.com
The standards questions are:

1) What is you publishing experience
2) What is your business plan and expected sales?

You see we are just one author and can only write a limited number of books. So we need to put our eggs in the best baskets we can.

exit219publishing

Registered
Reaction score
The standards questions are:

1) What is you publishing experience
2) What is your business plan and expected sales?

You see we are just one author and can only write a limited number of books. So we need to put our eggs in the best baskets we can.

I have ten years' experience as a freelance editor having worked mostly with indie presses and magazines. I also have close to 20 years management experience in the corporate sector and consider myself very business-minded. My partner has been in marketing for 15 years.

As far as a business plan goes, our short term business plan (1 year out) is to publish 5 novels, establish a base of readers through targeted advertising and social media marketing, and sell 5,000 copies.
Our mid-range business plan (2-5 years) is to put out between 25-35 novels, expand genres and incorporate non-fiction titles, begin producing both paperback and hard cover.
Our long range goals involve the expansion of not only our company but getting into brick & mortar stores (if they still exist) and focus on the long term sustainability of the company.

And while all of those goals are great, our number one priority will always be to put out the best product that we can for our readers. While this is a company and we do have financial goals, we will never compromise or budge on the quality of novels that we publish.

Hope that answers everyone's questions. I'm signing off for tonight, but will try to check back over the next few days to answer anymore that are posted. You can always email us 24/7 with any questions at [email protected]. And if I haven't scared off everyone we are accepting manuscripts for most genres of fiction. Please see our guidelines at www.exit219publishing.com/submissions.

Last edited:

CaoPaux

Mostly Harmless
Staff member
Super Moderator
Registered
Reaction score
Site's gone. No sign of anything published.