Read Books By AWers!

Welcome to the AbsoluteWrite Water Cooler! Please read The Newbie Guide To Absolute Write

editing for authors ad

A publisher or agency using Google ads to solicit your novel probably isn't anyone you want to write for.

Go Back   Absolute Write Water Cooler > Pop Culture > Art & Design > Designing Book Covers
Register FAQ Calendar Mark Forums Read

Old 01-30-2013, 08:09 PM   #1
aibrean
Author, Designer, Imaginative Being

aibrean is on a distinguished road
Latest in my series - Firedancer

So I designed the first two and then was on the fence on whether I'd continue the same visual theme. To begin with, I didn't know if I even wanted this book to be in the series, but the world-building was already there and if I was going to do two I should do a third.

Here are the first two:

Here is the latest one:

It's going to be about a fire mage in a word seemingly void of mages as magic has all but disappeared throughout the years. She is the daughter of a candle-maker in a more modern fantasy setting (compared with the other two). She decides to take a voyage on a dirigible with some explorers to see if there are fire mages on the other side of the world rather than be set to live as an outcast, as others fear her untrained gift would cause their forest homes to be destroyed.

WIP - Infiltrate (Holo Book 2) [YA Sci-fi]
Lady From Day won an ADDY for book design!

My website
aibrean is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-31-2013, 01:33 AM   #2
Tigerlilly79
Maybe I should see someone . . .

Tigerlilly79 is on a distinguished road
I'm usually not a fan of faces on covers, but these are beautiful. Nice work.

FACEBOOK

You are responsible for the talent you have been entrusted with. Go work with it.

Tigerlilly79 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-31-2013, 02:27 AM   #3
Gale Haut
waxing digital artistic

Gale Haut is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsGale Haut is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsGale Haut is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsGale Haut is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsGale Haut is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsGale Haut is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsGale Haut is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsGale Haut is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsGale Haut is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsGale Haut is so great that we've run out of appropriate compliments
I really like the model in your newest cover, and I've never mentioned it before but I've noticed the covers in your sig really pop. When I look at these covers I can tell they are clearly part of the same series of YA novels.

Are you looking for critiques? Do you have any specific concerns?
Old 01-31-2013, 11:26 AM   #4
aibrean

Tigerlily: I originally released (the first) without a face, but it seemed too bland. It needed character. Especially since each book is written first-person, it made sense to focus on one of the characters.

Gale: Thanks. I was making sure it blended well with the others, especially since the background is much lighter than the other two. I was so on the fence on the ethnicity of the model too. I saw a photo on DeviantART with an Indian woman and it inspired me. When I saw this and especially the gem on her forehead, I realized it could play well into the story.

My website
Old 01-31-2013, 12:12 PM   #5
Gale Haut
waxing digital artistic

Gale Haut is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsGale Haut is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsGale Haut is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsGale Haut is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsGale Haut is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsGale Haut is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsGale Haut is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsGale Haut is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsGale Haut is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsGale Haut is so great that we've run out of appropriate compliments
My impression is that the cover has enough similarities to connect it to the series, but enough differences to suggest a uniqueness from the series.
Old 02-02-2013, 02:47 AM   #6
elindsen
Some vampire love

elindsen is better than ice cream with hot fudgeelindsen is better than ice cream with hot fudgeelindsen is better than ice cream with hot fudgeelindsen is better than ice cream with hot fudgeelindsen is better than ice cream with hot fudgeelindsen is better than ice cream with hot fudgeelindsen is better than ice cream with hot fudge
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gale Haut View Post
My impression is that the cover has enough similarities to connect it to the series, but enough differences to suggest a uniqueness from the series.
x10
Library
Site

Anais Morgan
Facebook
Library
Blog

UntitledZombieStory 18,154/25,000

elindsen is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 02-02-2013, 05:50 AM   #7
Amanda R.
She who must be obeyed

Amanda R. is well-respected
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gale Haut View Post
I agree. The third one is similar, but more exotic and goes well with the title. I have noticed your covers before and thought they were very well done, but when I scrolled down and saw this new one my thought was "gorgeous."

"Literature is the most noble of professions. In fact, it is about the only one fit for man." ~ Edgar Allan Poe

Read about my adventures in China.
Amanda R. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-02-2013, 04:21 PM   #8
aibrean

Thanks you two It means a lot. I've decided to name her Banhi. It means flame in Sanskrit.

I posted on a writer group on Google+ and their feedback was my name was too hard too read (contrast-wise) and to make it larger. This is the same size as the other ones, just in black because I did try the white with a drop shadow and it didn't contrast as well I thought. Personally, I can make it out at 100px wide. I'm not concerned about making "A Tale of Orinda" legible at such a size as it's not the "name" of the book.

They also said it looked like something from Harlequin. I don't think it looks like a romance cover. First off, it's not even full profile. She doesn't look like she's trying to seduce anyone either...those are the trends I notice from HT.

My website

Last edited by aibrean; 02-03-2013 at 12:04 AM.
Old 04-10-2013, 12:35 AM   #9
Colleen Cowley
figuring it all out

Colleen Cowley is on a distinguished road
All three covers are beautiful, but I especially like the one for Firedancer.
Colleen Cowley is offline   Reply With Quote